Profile for C. Brunner > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 105

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C. Brunner RSS Feed (Texas)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Schasm (The Schasm Series Book 1)
Schasm (The Schasm Series Book 1)
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved the Story But Probably Will Not Finish The Series, July 4, 2014
I received this book through Library Thing Early Reviewers. It follows a young woman as she struggles to understand more about herself and the people in her life. The young woman seems to have a unique ability to drift into alternate realities. The book balances between what is real and what is delusion. I found myself really wondering what was really happening to this girl. Is she insane? Is she delusional?
I struggled between giving this book a three or four star rating. Although I thought the story to be quite engaging and interesting, it contained within it one of my biggest pet peeves about a book.

*SPOILER*
I finished this book hoping for answers to some of the questions that I was holding throughout the entire book. I wanted to know.... Why does her mother act the way she does? What is going on with Alex and Celia? Was this real? Is this woman delusional? Another problem I had was with how confusing the plot became. I'm on the ride and invested in the character. Please end the ride in some type of way. I feel left hanging. I hate when a book does not end at least wrapping the book up. I love love love reading series, but I have to at least have some type of ending to a book before I can move on to the next one. I'm left actually quite bewildered and disappointed at the end of this story. The worst part is that I actually really really liked it up until the end.

Suffer the Children
Suffer the Children
by Craig DiLouie
Price: $12.38
51 used & new from $7.88

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Terrifying Book That I Have Ever Read!, May 26, 2014
This review is from: Suffer the Children (Paperback)
This book was an emotional and horrific one day roller coaster. There were times within the first pages that I could not read because of crying. The pages were too blurry. The books that talk about children dying always hit me really deeply. This story had a brutality and believability that I have not read in a long time. I could not put this book down. I Devoured it. 342 pages read in less than one day. As a parent, I ask myself if this story is believable. How low would I go for my children. Interesting question that does not have a black or white answer.

This story is a hard book to recommend. Although I love being swept away so completely in a story, I feel almost punched in the gut. I'm emotionally drained.
Read this book at your own risk. You have been warned.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2014 7:11 AM PDT

The Purge of Babylon: A Novel of Survival (Purge of Babylon, Book 1)
The Purge of Babylon: A Novel of Survival (Purge of Babylon, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary Realistic Edge Of Your Seat Page Turner, May 8, 2014
I was blown away by this book. I read so many kind of good books that it was so great to be completely swept away by actual storytelling. This author portrayed the ghouls in such a creepy way that was realistic and bleak. The characters were portrayed so realistically. I felt like I was reading something written while in a war zone. The way the soldiers responded to each other reminded me of what I have seen happen with some people in a crisis situation. I usually have some cons with every book I read, but I am honestly not coming up with anything. I immediately bought the sequel because I wanted to keep going with the characters to see where they will go next.

I highly recommend this book if you like military post apocalyptic that includes lots of action and character development!

Foamers (The Primal Age Chronicles)
Foamers (The Primal Age Chronicles)
Price: $4.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid Writing, May 8, 2014
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book through library thing early reviewers. This book detailed the stories of a group of survivors after an apocalyptic plague. There were pros and cons to this book.

Pros
The writing was solid. I was able to lose myself in the story at some point. I thought it was smooth, and I liked the way the author included the personal notes. I thought it ended well which is a big pet peeve of mine when there is no ending. I liked the overall premise of the story. I have read almost every zombie end of the world book, and I found this one to be slightly unique.

Cons
Although I realize that with stories you must suspend some elements of belief, I had a hard time with the way things happened in this book. I'm trying to be vague to not spoil the plot of the book. The people just all happened to believe the event was happening really quickly. All the friends and family just so happened to all be outside of the event. When one terrible event happened, the girl just turned against her loved ones like that. It was unbelievable to me. I personally would have questioned at least at first. Some of the coincidences were just too much for me that it took me out of an otherwise enjoyable afternoon story.

I think it would be okay for an afternoon, but I probably would not have finished it if I had not promised to write a review. I think a few minor editing changes would have made this book a pretty strong read.

Last Woman
Last Woman
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Story of Coming Back From the Brink. Apocalyptic. Lonely., April 6, 2014
This review is from: Last Woman (Kindle Edition)
I want to start this review by saying that I am a fan of Jacqueline Druga. I have read many of her novels, and I have enjoyed them. This book kept me enthralled from the first page. I read this story in an afternoon because I wanted to know what happened next. The characters felt and sounded like real people. I could relate to this woman. Her pain felt realistic and similar to how I have felt before. I felt the silence and loneliness of the beginning which reminded me somewhat of I am Legend. (The book not the movie)

Straight to You
Straight to You

5.0 out of 5 stars Poignant Love Story!, February 26, 2014
This review is from: Straight to You (Kindle Edition)
After just now finishing this book, I have conflicted emotions about it. It had many elements to it that build toward a complex and emotional ending. It is a deeply moving love story with a husband only wanting to find his wife while the world crumbles around him. I could relate to this story. I thought it was written beautifully. The backdrop of the different scenarios which showed how people were dealing with what was happening gave this story a richness and a depth not often seen in apocalypse stories. This story was unique, and I highly recommend it to anyone that wants to read something different.

This story stayed with me. I usually read books and go through them like fast food, but this story was different. I thought about it after I finished it. Plus, I loved the ending which is something that happens very rarely for me!

Kindred Rites (Night Calls Book 2)
Kindred Rites (Night Calls Book 2)
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes Sequels Just Get Better!, January 26, 2014
This story follows a young heroine training as an apprentice in the Gift. Alfreda Golden Tongue is a young lady learning from her elders about growing up as a practitioner. Each book that I have read tells the stories of all of the different things that happen to her while apprenticing with her older cousin Marta. The author goes into so much detail about the surroundings that I can almost picture each of the scenes.

I have enjoyed learning more about this world. This world alludes to an America from many years ago with many creatures of fantasy. I usually get bored when an author goes into a great deal of detail, but this author makes the knowledge such a part of the story. Learning about the supernatural creatures and the magic in this world is one of the reasons that I have read it so many times before. I have the original paperback, but I bought it for my kindle too.

The last maybe 50% of this book is when it really shines. Please.... If you have a difficult time getting into the story, please stay with it. I could not put this book down after a certain point. The author builds the story up so much that the ending leaves you breathless and ready for more.

Outbreak The Zombie Apocalypse
Outbreak The Zombie Apocalypse
Price: $2.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Early Reviewer With Plans To Buy The Sequel!, November 24, 2013
I received this book from the Early Reviewers from LibraryThing. I honestly was not expecting much because of books that I have been asked to review this way in the past.
Boy, was I wrong. This book surprised me, and I have not been truly surprised by a book in a long time. I read many books, and I can usually see where it is going. This book had a couple places where I was surprised by the direction, and I wanted to know what happens next. I blew through this book in about 2 days which should tell you how much I enjoyed it.
I'm not someone that tells you what the book is about because you can read that information in the blurb. What I will say is that this book takes a different path during a zombie outbreak than others that I have read. It had an ending, but it still shows a way into the next book in the series which is a hard thing to see nowadays in the books published lately. Many books stop right during the end leaving you with questions. This book had an ending that I thought was really done well. It answered my questions, but it left me wanting more. I'm planning on purchasing the next book in the series which has Never Happened with a book that I was given free in exchange for a review!

Night Calls
Night Calls
by Katharine Eliska Kimbriel
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
54 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of My Top Ten Books I Have Ever Read!, August 25, 2013
I found this book completely by accident. I found this book at a garage sale, and the cover was intriguing. This story follows a young girl in an alternate time and place. This land was more from a pioneering days perspective that included a supernatural twist. The characters were written in a way that I found hard to put down. I loved the way the author described this world and the characters within it. I think the reason why Allie spoke so clearly to me was that I could see so much hope through her eyes. The supernatural stories and her learning as an apprentice were so unique that I wanted to see what happened.

I rate this book in my top ten of all time favorites. The list of books that I have read is a long one. I personally own at least a thousand books (I have lost count) and additionally have 1384 on my kindle cloud. I read at least one book a week.

If you like stories about a young girl growing up with ghosts, werewolves, and other supernatural creatures, give this book a try! I plan on buying an extra copy for my kindle when it comes out too!

Beetlejuice: The Complete Series
Beetlejuice: The Complete Series
DVD ~ Stephen Ouimette
Offered by Fulfillment Express US
Price: $70.35
9 used & new from $66.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! I Love This DVD Set!, May 30, 2013
This set does not have any extras. What it does have is the complete series of a well written and funny cartoon! I watched this on Saturday mornings, and I am now watching through them all with my children! Well, my ten year old fell in love and didn't want to stop! I thought the video looked great on my hi definition TV!

Though I know I should be wary,
Still I venture someplace scary;
Ghostly hauntings I turn loose....
Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!

94 episodes
Box 1 Seasons 1, 2, & 3 (4 Disc set)

Season 1 Disc 1

Creepy Cookies
Poe Pourri
Ear's Looking At You
Beetlebones
Smell-A-Thon

Disc 3