ARRAY(0x9ce80f0c)

Customer Reviews: 105

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C. Brunner RSS Feed (Texas)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Last Woman
Last Woman
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Story of Coming Back From the Brink. Apocalyptic. Lonely., April 6, 2014
This review is from: Last Woman (Kindle Edition)
I want to start this review by saying that I am a fan of Jacqueline Druga. I have read many of her novels, and I have enjoyed them. This book kept me enthralled from the first page. I read this story in an afternoon because I wanted to know what happened next. The characters felt and sounded like real people. I could relate to this woman. Her pain felt realistic and similar to how I have felt before. I felt the silence and loneliness of the beginning which reminded me somewhat of I am Legend. (The book not the movie)

Straight to You
Straight to You

5.0 out of 5 stars Poignant Love Story!, February 26, 2014
This review is from: Straight to You (Kindle Edition)
After just now finishing this book, I have conflicted emotions about it. It had many elements to it that build toward a complex and emotional ending. It is a deeply moving love story with a husband only wanting to find his wife while the world crumbles around him. I could relate to this story. I thought it was written beautifully. The backdrop of the different scenarios which showed how people were dealing with what was happening gave this story a richness and a depth not often seen in apocalypse stories. This story was unique, and I highly recommend it to anyone that wants to read something different.

This story stayed with me. I usually read books and go through them like fast food, but this story was different. I thought about it after I finished it. Plus, I loved the ending which is something that happens very rarely for me!

Kindred Rites (Night Calls)
Kindred Rites (Night Calls)
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes Sequels Just Get Better!, January 26, 2014
This story follows a young heroine training as an apprentice in the Gift. Alfreda Golden Tongue is a young lady learning from her elders about growing up as a practitioner. Each book that I have read tells the stories of all of the different things that happen to her while apprenticing with her older cousin Marta. The author goes into so much detail about the surroundings that I can almost picture each of the scenes.

I have enjoyed learning more about this world. This world alludes to an America from many years ago with many creatures of fantasy. I usually get bored when an author goes into a great deal of detail, but this author makes the knowledge such a part of the story. Learning about the supernatural creatures and the magic in this world is one of the reasons that I have read it so many times before. I have the original paperback, but I bought it for my kindle too.

The last maybe 50% of this book is when it really shines. Please.... If you have a difficult time getting into the story, please stay with it. I could not put this book down after a certain point. The author builds the story up so much that the ending leaves you breathless and ready for more.

Outbreak The Zombie Apocalypse
Outbreak The Zombie Apocalypse
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Early Reviewer With Plans To Buy The Sequel!, November 24, 2013
I received this book from the Early Reviewers from LibraryThing. I honestly was not expecting much because of books that I have been asked to review this way in the past.
Boy, was I wrong. This book surprised me, and I have not been truly surprised by a book in a long time. I read many books, and I can usually see where it is going. This book had a couple places where I was surprised by the direction, and I wanted to know what happens next. I blew through this book in about 2 days which should tell you how much I enjoyed it.
I'm not someone that tells you what the book is about because you can read that information in the blurb. What I will say is that this book takes a different path during a zombie outbreak than others that I have read. It had an ending, but it still shows a way into the next book in the series which is a hard thing to see nowadays in the books published lately. Many books stop right during the end leaving you with questions. This book had an ending that I thought was really done well. It answered my questions, but it left me wanting more. I'm planning on purchasing the next book in the series which has Never Happened with a book that I was given free in exchange for a review!

Night Calls
Night Calls
by Katharine Eliska Kimbriel
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
47 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of My Top Ten Books I Have Ever Read!, August 25, 2013
I found this book completely by accident. I found this book at a garage sale, and the cover was intriguing. This story follows a young girl in an alternate time and place. This land was more from a pioneering days perspective that included a supernatural twist. The characters were written in a way that I found hard to put down. I loved the way the author described this world and the characters within it. I think the reason why Allie spoke so clearly to me was that I could see so much hope through her eyes. The supernatural stories and her learning as an apprentice were so unique that I wanted to see what happened.

I rate this book in my top ten of all time favorites. The list of books that I have read is a long one. I personally own at least a thousand books (I have lost count) and additionally have 1384 on my kindle cloud. I read at least one book a week.

If you like stories about a young girl growing up with ghosts, werewolves, and other supernatural creatures, give this book a try! I plan on buying an extra copy for my kindle when it comes out too!

Beetlejuice: The Complete Series
Beetlejuice: The Complete Series
DVD ~ Stephen Ouimette
Price: $68.34
8 used & new from $64.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! I Love This DVD Set!, May 30, 2013
This set does not have any extras. What it does have is the complete series of a well written and funny cartoon! I watched this on Saturday mornings, and I am now watching through them all with my children! Well, my ten year old fell in love and didn't want to stop! I thought the video looked great on my hi definition TV!

Though I know I should be wary,
Still I venture someplace scary;
Ghostly hauntings I turn loose....
Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!

94 episodes
Box 1 Seasons 1, 2, & 3 (4 Disc set)

Season 1 Disc 1

Creepy Cookies
Poe Pourri
Ear's Looking At You
Beetlebones
Smell-A-Thon

Disc 3

Not So Peaceful Pines

Sunset Rising
Sunset Rising
Price: $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Dystopian Book That Was Well Written But Predictable. Really More of a 3 1/2 Stars Rating., May 17, 2013
This review is from: Sunset Rising (Kindle Edition)
I was given a copy of this book by the author. I wanted to love this book. I really did. The reviews are all glowing. I am having a hard time with where to rate this book. I am torn, so I really want to give it 3 1/2 Stars. There were many good elements and ideas in this book, but I felt bored with it at times. It was a little preachy especially at the beginning when the author was developing the story and introducing the characters. It was hard for me to get into. There were times that really dragged on and on. The story reminded me of the book Wool by Hugh Howey in many ways. It was sometimes so similar to that book that it felt like deja vu at times.

With all that being said, I liked the book overall. It has a good premise. The writer has a way of drawing you in. I feel like this story could really benefit from a good editor, and I believe that an editor would fix many of the issues that I was having trouble with. I will buy the next book in the series. The characters were written in a way that I want to know what happens to them. Sunny and Jack are a couple of people that I'm really rooting for.

*Spoiler Alert*
I want to know how this story ends since it really does not end in my opinion (which is a pet peeve of mine). This is why I will buy the next book, but I'm begging you to please have an actual ending with some small closure for the characters.

So..... this book had some elements that I did not like. These things would normally make me close the book and not recommend it. The reason that I am recommending this book is that the good outweighs the bad. The writer is talented and knows how to tell a story. So overall a good way to spend an afternoon. Also it was 251 pages on my kindle, so I'm not sure why it showed up as fewer pages than the description....
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2013 2:50 PM PST

Rockland Luggage 2 Piece Printed Luggage Set, New Black Dot, Medium
Rockland Luggage 2 Piece Printed Luggage Set, New Black Dot, Medium
Price: $37.99
8 used & new from $37.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for Carry on on Southwest Airlines!, January 20, 2013
I bought these for my daughter to use as carry on for a trip to Orlando, Fl. They worked extremely well. I read reviews that said the handle broke after use. Well, we used it so much, but we made sure to be careful with the handle just in case. We did not have any problem at all. I was worried that the bags would not be accepted as carry on for Southwest, but I did not encounter any problem at all.

Fever (Flu) (Volume 2)
Fever (Flu) (Volume 2)
by Wayne Simmons
Price: $12.07
21 used & new from $12.07

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Really a Sequel To Flu! Kind of Told At The Same Time!, January 20, 2013
This review is from: Fever (Flu) (Volume 2) (Paperback)
I picked this up thinking it was a sequel to the author's book Flu. It starts off in a lab filled with scientists. It explains more about how the epidemic gets started. I thought the previous book was claustrophobic, but I think this book takes it up a notch. The plot kinda threw me here and there. It kinda got a little slow in the middle. I wasn't sure where it was going. But I really liked the ending. I'm trying not to give anything away, so I'm purposely being vague. I really don't think of this as a sequel since it kinda told the story from different characters, but it did go more into the epidemic. It's hard not to say more without spoilers.

I do recommend this book, but I would probably read Flu first.

Flu
Flu

4.0 out of 5 stars Scary Zombies! Unique Perspective!, January 20, 2013
This review is from: Flu (Kindle Edition)
I am a big fan of post apocalyptic books. I have read many different takes on zombies. This book starts off with police officers going into houses in order to quarantine flu victims. I live in the United States, and this book is told from an overseas perspective. I believe the author is Irish. Some of the themes were unique to this perspective. The characters are different because of this as well. I felt many emotions while reading this book. Some of the action scenes were written well, but I felt that some of the book was confusing. I really liked the characters and the story. I thought that it was interesting, and I thought that the epidemic was unique. It kept my interest, and I had a hard time putting it down once I got into it!

Although I had some problems understanding where it was going at times, I enjoyed this story. It had some parts that were claustrophobic! It was bloody and scary. The characters seemed realistic. These were not saints that make every right decision!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11