Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL
Profile for C. Brunner > Reviews

C. Brunner's Profile

Customer Reviews: 110

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C. Brunner RSS Feed (Texas)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Bad City
Bad City
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed, November 8, 2015
This review is from: Bad City (Kindle Edition)
I received this book from Early Reviewers in exchange for an honest review. This story grew on me. I am a fan of apocalyptic stories but I found myself having trouble getting into the story at first. It is not focused on the event which does leave room to develop the characters. This story is more about character building than about the world. I found it to be subtle with a build up that increased the tension. It had an ending which is hard to find these days with so many authors planning the next book before they finish the current one. I found this book to be a welcome surprise and recommend you give it a chance. Sometimes the story skips around bluntly from past to present, but I got used to it better closer to the end.

Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances
Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Short Stories Dark and Twisted, October 18, 2015
I received this book from Early Reviewers in exchange for an honest review. Few can write short stories that hold my interest. This book takes me back to those 30 minute twilight zone episodes or Stephen King's earlier short story compilations. This book includes many different themes and ideas. It is thoughtful and dark with writing that engulfs your imagination.

Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition: Star Wars Saga Bundle - PlayStation 4
Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition: Star Wars Saga Bundle - PlayStation 4
Price: $89.99
25 used & new from $82.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade to Disney Infinity 3.0- Worth It, August 30, 2015
We have been playing Disney infinity since the very beginning 1.0. We have all of the consoles but our 1.0 and 2.0 are both Xbox 360. The Playstation saga bundle we decided to change to because of the benefits in this bundle. All of our characters and play sets from previous games that we used exclusively on 360 work well on this game so no worries there. It just pops up that you have registered the figure on a previous game and asks if you want to add it. The picture is upgraded and looks crisp on 1080 p. My husband and daughter have been playing for 2 hours in the new toy box going through different good guys, bad guys, and vehicles. We bought the toy box expansion and they have not even started it yet. Having so much fun in the toy box. You can play Disney radio music (may use Internet?) streaming music. The toy box comes with a dispenser that gives you multiple cars, scenes from places like gravity falls wreck it Ralph, and good guys and bad guys. Minnie Mouse is a huge hit because she skips around and uses her purse(disclaimer we bought Minnie, Mickey, Olaf, and the inside out characters they do not come with this bundle). We did not preorder so the toy box takeover expansion was an extra 20.99.
This set comes with 3.0 software
Anakin Skywalker, Ahsoka Tano, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, and Boba Fett ( Boba Fett does not fly yet but we are hoping as we upgrade it will come available)
Twilight of the Republic play set piece
Rise against the Empire play set piece
3 web codes-starter pack, rise against the empire, and Boba Fett
1 Disney infinity base (we now have 3)
I was unsure of upgrading but it was worth it. It is hard to not say too much. I do not want to spoil anything for anyone. We have had so much fun exploring it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 1, 2015 11:26 AM PDT

Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What if you woke up with no memory?, June 27, 2015
This review is from: Reset (Kindle Edition)
I find that there are plenty of reviewers that will explain the details of the story. I would rather tell about my experience than let out any of the mystery of the story. I am a longtime fan of this writer. I have several of her books that I have enjoyed more than others. This story has many components that I like. It has a mystery and unknown factor that made me want to know what will happen next. I've read so many books that I have a difficult time getting lost in the story. This story kept me engaged and wondering. I was surprised at a few points but I always wanted more. I am not someone who gets annoyed with grammar but I did see a few mistakes. To me this was a minor irritant several times, but I know that some find this a deal breaker. The other issue that I had was I thought the ending was too fast. I enjoyed the build up and story. This author built a world that I did not want to end. I wanted to see more of it. I wanted to experience more of what happened and the people. This was a pleasure to escape into and relax on for an afternoon.

I borrowed this book for free with my prime membership.

Lucky's Girl
Lucky's Girl
by William Holloway
Price: $9.08
27 used & new from $9.08

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning... This book has graphic sex and violence., October 15, 2014
This review is from: Lucky's Girl (Paperback)
I received this book through the Library Thing Early Reviewers in exchange for an honest review. I have thought for a few days about how to review this book. On one hand, I thought the writer was good at telling a story. The book was written well, and I was able to really get into the story in the very beginning. On the other hand, I found the graphic scenes of bestiality, sexual abuse, and sadism to be something that really turned me off. Now, I am not one who is easily offended. Some of my favorite books contain explicit sex and violence. I found the religious aspects of this book intriguing especially the parts about Lucky and his power. I do feel that it is important to let people know when the violence is to an extreme level or there is bestiality, so they are warned. I honestly would not have finished this book if I had not promised to write a review for it. I did not feel like it would have been fair for me to write a review if I had not read the entire story. My point is that it is unusual for me not to want to finish a book.

I am sure that there is an audience for this book. The writer has talent. It just was not for me. I can see some similarities between this writer and Clive Barker (one of his books is in my all time favorite top ten) but I just did not enjoy reading this book. It was just too much for me.

Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Book From Mr. Moody! Isolation plus a bonus of 4 short stories!, August 27, 2014
This review is from: Isolation (Kindle Edition)
There is a reason why I keep coming back and buying every single book written by David Moody. I love the ride. Each book is a bumpy ride with a finish that makes me take a minute. This book consists of short stories (I believe four short stories plus Isolation which is longer)
First of all, he has this amazing ability.... He gets me invested in characters. Many of the characters are really flawed people. They go through some pretty horrifying stuff. There are few writers that can get me either really rooting for characters or really disliking the characters quite like this author. The characters act so realistically. Also, he surprises me. I can usually read where the story is going when I am reading a book. So many are pretty predictable to a person who reads almost everyday. But this book surprised me. Characters change and develop. You see hints of who they are underneath. They behave in ways that I have seen many times with people. Subtle manipulations by people....
My last point has to do with an extreme pet peeve of mine. The ending. Most endings are unrealistic or there might be no resolution at all. You might be left completely hanging. Mr. Moody has the most thought provoking endings. After the first story in this collection of stories, I had to take a minute and think about it. Why did it happen that way? I am mostly talking about the first story, but I can think of many of his books that had incredible thought provoking endings. Because even if he is writing a three book or six book series, he still wraps up the basic scenario of each book. In a way that actually makes sense-not just as an excuse to end the book conveniently.

Dog Days
Dog Days
Price: $4.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Twisted Coming Of Age Story, August 17, 2014
This review is from: Dog Days (Kindle Edition)
I received this book through the Library Thing Early Reviewers in exchange for an honest review. I have read some of this author's previous work with different feelings about each book. I had not liked his last two books, so I had put him in a no longer to buy pile in my mind. When I was offered this book to review, I decided to try him one more time. I was pleasantly surprised by this book.

It was an enjoyable look into a young man during his summer vacation. It is set in the 80s and follows an early teenage young man. It is a story about his experiences and the events that take place in his neighborhood after a hurricane. The interesting part of this book was the character development of the people in his life. This author really does a good job of making me care about the people in the story. I thoroughly enjoyed the parts that centered on the boy and his dog. The relationships between the boy and his peers were parts of the story that I just lost myself in. Those parts of the story were what made it really shine. I enjoyed the writing and pacing of the story which did not drag like his previous novels in my opinion.

The only con that I have for this book were the parts close to his home. Not to spoil anything, but I did have trouble with some believability of what people would do if put in this particular situation. This really pulled me out of a story which was otherwise engaging. All in all, I do recommend this book to people who like mild thrillers with a little supernatural mystery. Although, I'm not sure that I would recommend it to a YA audience.

Schasm (The Schasm Series Book 1)
Schasm (The Schasm Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved the Story But Probably Will Not Finish The Series, July 4, 2014
I received this book through Library Thing Early Reviewers. It follows a young woman as she struggles to understand more about herself and the people in her life. The young woman seems to have a unique ability to drift into alternate realities. The book balances between what is real and what is delusion. I found myself really wondering what was really happening to this girl. Is she insane? Is she delusional?
I struggled between giving this book a three or four star rating. Although I thought the story to be quite engaging and interesting, it contained within it one of my biggest pet peeves about a book.

I finished this book hoping for answers to some of the questions that I was holding throughout the entire book. I wanted to know.... Why does her mother act the way she does? What is going on with Alex and Celia? Was this real? Is this woman delusional? Another problem I had was with how confusing the plot became. I'm on the ride and invested in the character. Please end the ride in some type of way. I feel left hanging. I hate when a book does not end at least wrapping the book up. I love love love reading series, but I have to at least have some type of ending to a book before I can move on to the next one. I'm left actually quite bewildered and disappointed at the end of this story. The worst part is that I actually really really liked it up until the end.

Suffer the Children
Suffer the Children
by Craig DiLouie
Price: $14.27
61 used & new from $1.24

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Terrifying Book That I Have Ever Read!, May 26, 2014
This review is from: Suffer the Children (Paperback)
This book was an emotional and horrific one day roller coaster. There were times within the first pages that I could not read because of crying. The pages were too blurry. The books that talk about children dying always hit me really deeply. This story had a brutality and believability that I have not read in a long time. I could not put this book down. I Devoured it. 342 pages read in less than one day. As a parent, I ask myself if this story is believable. How low would I go for my children. Interesting question that does not have a black or white answer.

This story is a hard book to recommend. Although I love being swept away so completely in a story, I feel almost punched in the gut. I'm emotionally drained.
Read this book at your own risk. You have been warned.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2014 7:11 AM PDT

The Purge of Babylon: A Novel of Survival (Purge of Babylon, Book 1)
The Purge of Babylon: A Novel of Survival (Purge of Babylon, Book 1)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary Realistic Edge Of Your Seat Page Turner, May 8, 2014
I was blown away by this book. I read so many kind of good books that it was so great to be completely swept away by actual storytelling. This author portrayed the ghouls in such a creepy way that was realistic and bleak. The characters were portrayed so realistically. I felt like I was reading something written while in a war zone. The way the soldiers responded to each other reminded me of what I have seen happen with some people in a crisis situation. I usually have some cons with every book I read, but I am honestly not coming up with anything. I immediately bought the sequel because I wanted to keep going with the characters to see where they will go next.

I highly recommend this book if you like military post apocalyptic that includes lots of action and character development!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11