Profile for MLNJ > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

MLNJ RSS Feed

Gran Cocina Latina: The Food of Latin America
Gran Cocina Latina: The Food of Latin America
by Maricel E. Presilla
Price: $34.84
75 used & new from $24.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Demands to be READ, October 17, 2012
This publication demands to be read. Although there are lovely photographs, Gran Concina Latina is not a coffee table book that allows readers to absorb all content visually. The book rewards readers for their investment by granting them entree to a new culinary paradigm, rather than rote recipes.

I am satiated each time I settle in with these well written chapters, at once authoritative and tender. This is the first cookbook I've studied. I will never approach culinary literature the same again. I highly recommend it.

Complete Coopers Brewery IPA Beer Kit Package
Complete Coopers Brewery IPA Beer Kit Package
Offered by home-brew
Price: $39.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Confusing & TASTES AWFUL, January 19, 2011
I purchased this kit to make my first batch of homebrew, and I really wish I hadn't. I hoped that using a kit would eliminate a lot of the measuring, calculations, and judgment calls necessary when brewing, but that wasn't my experience. The directions were vague ("add dextrose to taste"). They also flew in the face of the advice every homebrew book I've read provides (they all recommend not adding sugars to your extract brew). It took me a while to figure out what each of the ingredients were, how much to use, and in what way. I would recommend skipping the kit and following a basic recipe. It'll be less heart-ache and probably less expensive.

After waiting weeks for my first batch, it turned out terribly, sour, bitter, no hop flavor. I asked several veteran homebrewers what they thought went wrong, and the resounding response was: bad ingredients. It was clearly old, and hopped extract is almost always terrible.

I cannot believe I paid nearly $40 for a substandard kit. If you're new to this, know that you should be paying around $20 - $30 for a good kit, with fresh ingredients.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2013 2:43 AM PDT

Coopers Brewery IPA Beer Kit
Coopers Brewery IPA Beer Kit
Offered by home-brew
Price: $39.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, Tastes Terrible, Poor Quality, January 11, 2011
This review is from: Coopers Brewery IPA Beer Kit

After waiting weeks for my first batch, it turned out terribly, sour, bitter, no hop flavor. I asked several veteran homebrewers what they thought went wrong, and the resounding response was: bad ingredients. It was clearly old and stale. Also, they said that hopped extract is almost always terrible.

Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2012 11:54 AM PDT