Profile for JB > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 93

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

JB "jb6606" RSS Feed (Washington, DC United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Emile Henry Lion's Head Soup Bowls, Set of 4, Blanc
Emile Henry Lion's Head Soup Bowls, Set of 4, Blanc

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bowls, February 26, 2011
These are great soup bowls, I bought them for French onion soup, but we use them all the time for other dishes as well. I have some other Emile Henry bakeware that I like; I'm very happy with the look and quality of these bowls. Ignore the one star review, that reviewer didn't even buy these bowls. I'm sure that he found some Chinese made bowls at Wal-Mart that he's very happy with.

Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Magic Mouse
Price: $65.99
119 used & new from $28.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, February 21, 2011
The only nice thing I can write about this mouse is that it looks good. I find it to be too small and very uncomfortable. I'm a female with average hands; I don't see how anyone with larger hands could use this mouse at all. The scrolling is a bit quirky and I'm getting a low battery indication after less than 2 months of use. I'm shopping for a new mouse.

Zoe Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1-Liter Tins (Pack of 2)
Zoe Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1-Liter Tins (Pack of 2)
Offered by Taylor's Market
Price: $29.95
2 used & new from $24.50

2.0 out of 5 stars blah, January 31, 2011
This is pretty bland olive oil, I think that it is comparable to the common brands that you can buy in the regular grocery store. I'm not an olive oil connoisseur and am surprised that this is as blah as it is. It's not fruity or nutty or anything that I associate with extra virgin olive oil. I wish that I didn't have two full tins of it. It's fine to saute with, but I wouldn't recommend it for salad dressings and such.

Kyocera Loft / Torino S2300 Black Leather Carrying Case + Purple Rubberized Hard Snap-on Case Cover+ LCD Screen Protector + Rapid Car Charger for Kyocera Loft / Torino S2300

4.0 out of 5 stars good deal, January 20, 2011
Of the included accessories, I use the snap on case and the car charger. Both are nice and work well for me. I haven't messed with the screen protector yet, and the leather carrying case doesn't seem to fit very well when the snap on case is on. The phone fits inside the case, but it doesn't seem to close very well. It's not a huge deal for me tho.

Westinghouse LD-3255VX 32-Inch 720p LED HDTV, Black (2010 Model)
Westinghouse LD-3255VX 32-Inch 720p LED HDTV, Black (2010 Model)
4 used & new from $200.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Before you buy a Westinghouse TV, January 18, 2011
Before you buy a Westinghouse TV, do an Internet search for "consumer complaints Westinghouse TV". There is a problem with these TVs where the screen will go black and you have to turn the TV off and on a few times to get it to go back on. I thought I might have a bad power supply, but there are sites full of complaints about these TVs, all with the same problem. At first I could turn the TV off and on and the screen would come back on, but now my TV is totally dead. I'm one of the lucky ones who got a few years of life out of my TV before it died. Many people experience these problems after just a few weeks or months. Customer service is horrible - if I ship my TV back (I have to pay shipping), Westinghouse will send me a refurbished TV for $250 plus freight charges. It makes a lot more sense to put that money towards a new TV that might actually work.

When there's a class action lawsuit, I'll be on board. I am now shopping for a Sony or Samsung to replace this piece of garbage.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2012 8:29 PM PST

Macally USB Slim Keyboard - ICEKEY
Macally USB Slim Keyboard - ICEKEY
Offered by WonderElectronics
Price: $35.79
5 used & new from $16.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome alternative to Apple wireless keyboard, January 6, 2011
I got this to replace the tiny Apple wireless keyboard that came with my new iMac. I hated the Apple keyboard with a passion, it is too small even for average sized hands, it made my forearms ache after even short periods of typing, and I made tons of typing errors. I almost did not buy the Macally because it looks a lot like the Apple keyboard in some of the photos, but it's a huge improvement. It's much more comfortable and the keys have a nice feel - almost retro, but not loud like old style keyboards can be.

The driver that was included with the Macally did not work with my iMac. The Macally website has a new driver for OS 10.4 and above. It was easy to download, and the volume and eject buttons on the keyboard work fine for me. This is much nicer than the Apple wireless keyboard, and a third the price.

1/20/11 - I'm altering my review and deducting one star. After only 2 weeks of use, one of my keys (the "P" key) sticks and no longer works unless I pound on it. Amazon is sending a replacement keyboard free of charge, but I am now a bit skeptical about this keyboard.

Apple Wireless Keyboard (Retail Packaging) MC184LL/A
Apple Wireless Keyboard (Retail Packaging) MC184LL/A
Offered by MacOfAllTrades
Price: $59.00
36 used & new from $44.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, do not buy if you do a lot of typing, January 6, 2011
This keyboard came with my new iMac and I gave it a few weeks to try to get used to it, but it is truly horrible. I am a female with average sized hands and find this keyboard to be way too small. My hands slip around and I make many typing errors. Some keys (like the letter B) never seem to register, while others are so sensitive that I'll accidentally type 10 in a row (like the letter L). I also found that my forearms would ache after short periods of typing. I can't believe all the good reviews for this keyboard - it is very nice looking, but it seems to hail from a time before we knew anything about carpal tunnel syndrome.

I can't believe that after spending two thousand dollars for an iMac, I have to buy another keyboard. I did not want to get another Apple keyboard, so I got a Macally on Amazon. It was only twenty two dollars and I wasn't expecting much, but I find it to be very comfortable. And I can finally type again without constantly checking for errors.

I'm going to try using this keyboard with my iPad. It's definitely better than the onscreen iPad keyboard, so hopefully I'll get some use out of it. I would definitely not recommend this to anyone who does any amount of regular typing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2011 1:35 PM PDT

Worlds Smallest High Resolution Mini Video Camcorder (DVR), Incl. 2gb Micro SD Card and USB Card Reader

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, but squirrelly software and controls, January 5, 2011
Overall, this is a much nicer camera than we were expecting. The image and sound quality are better than expected, and the camera has a nice feel, with metal housing, not cheap plastic. We can get about 15 minutes of recording on the included 2GB card, and fully charged, the battery seems to last about 2 hours. I just ordered an 8GB card for longer recordings.

The instruction manual is very poorly translated into English, for example "If indicator sketch map state is crush out, motion is full of charge". The LED lights are hard to see, so it's hard to tell when the camera is actually recording. The USB connector is especially squirrelly, and like another reviewer mentioned, we have to plug it in and unplug it a few times in order to get it to work. And we can't figure out how to change the date stamp.

We're pretty happy with the camera itself; I wasn't expecting much out of a tiny fifty dollar camera, but the instruction manual and software could use improvement.

Update March 2011: There are apparently different versions of this camera floating around. I ordered a second one and it's a totally different than the first. It's plastic and came in a different box (it reads "World's Smallest Voice Recorder"). I'm sending it back because there are parts missing from the box, and it looks like it may be used. I would order a second if I knew that I was getting the same camera that I got the first time around.

SSSCAT Cat Training Aid
SSSCAT Cat Training Aid
Price: $20.99
38 used & new from $16.00

2.0 out of 5 stars comparison of Ssscat vs Stay Away, December 4, 2010
This review is from: SSSCAT Cat Training Aid (Misc.)
I bought Ssscat and Stay Away because I couldn't decide between the two. They are very similar, they appear to have been produced in the same factory. Stay Away is twice the price and the replacement canisters are more expensive. The only difference I see is that Ssscat doesn't have a sound feature, it just sprays a blast of air. I think I prefer that, although I can see the merit of the beeping sound, as pets will come to associate the beep with getting a blast of air, so the unit could be set to sound alone, saving the owner money on replacement canisters.

I had my doubts about these, but they're totally worth it for the entertainment value alone. I have a house full of cats that wait until we leave the kitchen to jump on the counter or in the sink. It's VERY satisfying to hear the unit go off followed by the sound of a cat racing out of the room.

Update November 2012: I bought a few each of Sscat and Stay Away and they all became unreliable within a few months and every single one of them broke completely in less than a year. My original review gave this product 5 stars but I just knocked that down to 2 stars. My cat situation is a bit desperate so I was going to buy a few more of these to keep my cats in line for at least a few months, but after doing some research on Amazon I opted for some scat training mats instead. They cost more but the reviews are more favorable and hopefully they'll last longer.

Contech StayAway Motion-Activated Pet Deterrent
Contech StayAway Motion-Activated Pet Deterrent

2.0 out of 5 stars comparison of Stay Away vs Ssscat, December 4, 2010
I bought this and the Ssscat Training Aid because I couldn't decide between the two. They are very similar, they appear to have been produced in the same factory. Stay Away is twice the price and the replacement canisters are more expensive. The only difference I see is that Ssscat doesn't have a sound feature, it just sprays a blast of air. I think I prefer that, although I can see the merit of the beeping sound, as pets will come to associate the beep with getting a blast of air, so the unit could be set to sound alone, saving the owner money on replacement canisters.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2010 10:58 AM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10