ARRAY(0xa253206c)

Customer Reviews: 397

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mocha with Linda RSS Feed (Texas, United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Lip Reading: A Novel
Lip Reading: A Novel
by Harry Kraus
Price: $11.73
55 used & new from $4.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic novel will touch the heart. Highly recommended!, April 17, 2014
This review is from: Lip Reading: A Novel (Paperback)
Harry Kraus solidifies his long-held spot on my list of must-read authors with this latest release. Realistic fiction which features believably flawed characters and conflicts, Lip Reading deeply touches the heart while providing a thoroughly satisfying read. The novel provides a fascinating peek into the conflicted nature of some within the pharmaceutical research industry--competitive and even predatory while simultaneously seeking to discover solutions to medical mysteries--and the opening scenes will forever change how I view "success rates." Uniquely and highly gifted as both a physician and author, Kraus has crafted a story so authentic that at one point I grabbed my nursing handbook to look up a pharmaceutical central to the story, convinced the medication was real! Dr. Rebecca Jackson's emotional, physical and professional struggles stirred my heart and kept me turning pages long into the night. Kraus's strongest gift, however, lies in his ability to weave in a subtle yet strong message of grace that gives the reader much to ponder. More than a riveting tale or an entertaining way to spend a few hours, Lip Reading will stay with you long after you turn the final pages. Another highly recommended offering from Harry Kraus MD!

Beauty So Rare, A (A Belmont Mansion Novel)
Beauty So Rare, A (A Belmont Mansion Novel)
by Tamera Alexander
Price: $11.63
49 used & new from $8.64

5.0 out of 5 stars A gloriously epic tome! Completely satisfying and highly recommended!, April 14, 2014
Sigh. Tamera Alexander's books have one major flaw. They end. Even this gloriously epic tome of 480 pages concluded before I was ready to bid farewell to the captivating story, the delightful characters, and even to the manner in which the words flowed upon the page. Tamera Alexander has once again created a multifaceted saga that gripped me from the opening pages. Her impeccable historical research mingles seamlessly with her gift for crafting rich fiction, resulting in a magnificent tale which pulsates with authenticity. I empathized with Eleanor's insecurities, mourned over her father's decline, winced at Adelicia's stern proclamations, and fell in love with sweet Caleb and "Magpie" and their penniless mothers--as well as gallant Marcus! Of course, as with every good story, A Beauty So Rare also includes a few individuals that raised my hackles but, like Eleanor, I learned which battles were worth fighting. This riveting tale prompted me to turn the pages faster and faster while at the same time Alexander's exquisite prose cautioned me to slow down and savor every sentence, and occasionally I paused to reread a passage just to soak it in. As always, Alexander weaves in a beautiful message of faith which springs from the characters' experiences, encouraging the reader's soul. A Beauty So Rare aptly describes as well as titles this story that will now rest on my shelf of treasured novels. The second in the Belmont Mansion series (yet it stands alone), this is a must-read!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a copy of this book free from Bethany House Publishers as part of a blog tour. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

Sincerely Yours: A Novella Collection
Sincerely Yours: A Novella Collection
by Jane Kirkpatrick
Price: $11.16
46 used & new from $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable novella collection, March 31, 2014
I generally don't pick up individual novellas because they are just too short for me since I am such a quick reader. However, I do enjoy collections like this of novellas by different authors with a common theme or even connected characters. This collection contains four novellas that are actually very different and stand alone; they are tied together by the common threads of being historical romances and the fact that a letter received by the heroine plays a significant part in the story. Although I have read very little that Jane Kirkpatrick has written, I have enjoyed several books by Amanda Cabot, Ann Shorey, and Laurie Alice Eakes, so I knew to expect intriguing stories from their pens. As expected, the tales are charming with likeable characters whose dilemmas drew me in on the opening pages. While the brevity of each novella required that the pace move quickly, none of them felt rushed, and the resolutions were satisfying. This is a great book to tuck in your bag or car for those waiting times when you need a quick, light read.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a copy of this book free from Amanda Cabot and Revell Books as part of their blogger review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Summer of Joy (Hollyhill Series, Book 3)
Summer of Joy (Hollyhill Series, Book 3)
by Ann H. Gabhart
Price: $12.98
78 used & new from $2.21

4.0 out of 5 stars Tender and poignant, March 27, 2014
Ann Gabhart writes stories that exude emotion, and her Heart of Hollyhill series is no exception. I was captivated by the first book in this series, The Scent of Lilacs (reviewed here), but somehow missed the second novel, Orchard of Hope. However, I had no difficulty settling right back into this Kentucky community in this third book. Once again, Jocie crept her way into my heart immediately. Gabhart ably portrays the nuances and tensions of the early sixties and the upheaval that the Brooke family-as well as the small town, itself-experiences. (My one frustration with the book was the inconsistent timing of the story's description, which places it in the waning summer of 1964, when the book actually begins with the town decked out for the for the 1964 Christmas parade.) A tender and poignant read, Summer of Joy will touch your heart.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a copy of this book free from Revell Books as part of their blogger review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

What Follows After: A Novel
What Follows After: A Novel
by Dan Walsh
Price: $10.52
47 used & new from $8.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Resonates deeply; another incredible novel by a master storyteller. Highly recommended!, March 27, 2014
Dan Walsh is a master storyteller, and when I open one of his books, I know that What Follows After will resonate with my heart and soul. This novel certainly met my expectations and more. Walsh peels back the facade from the seemingly idyllic days of the early 1960's, when Camelot described a presidency, everyone went to church, and social expectations were clear--while the reality was that a missile crisis sparked fears of world nuclear annihilation, religion didn't equate with living like Christ would, and racial inequalities and tensions simmered to a boil. Simultaneously terrible and tender, this story will grab your heart and won't let go as you peek into the lives of this broken family and see the impact of their parents' choices on Colt and Timmy. Walsh paces the story perfectly, befitting both the time and the plot, though several agonizing moments made me turn the pages faster, eagerly seeking the hoped-for resolution. Although no longer pastoring a church, Dan Walsh continues to minister through his stories, and I expect this one to be instrumental in saving families from destruction. Keep a tissue nearby but don't miss this thoroughly satisfying tale of love, family, and forgiveness. Highly recommended!

Dancing with Fireflies (A Chapel Springs Romance)
Dancing with Fireflies (A Chapel Springs Romance)
by Denise Hunter
Price: $12.63
62 used & new from $7.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Endearing characters and a captivating story; a must-read!, March 27, 2014
After reading the first Chapel Springs Romance, Barefoot Summer, I was eager to revisit the McKinley family and this charming community in the second book of this delightful series. Each book can be easily read as a stand-alone although I urge you not to miss a single one of these novels. Denise Hunter has once again created endearing characters and a captivating story that both delights and inspires. Jade's struggles are believable and realistically portrayed, as is her relationship with Daniel. One of the best contemporary romance novels I've read this year, Dancing with Fireflies is a must for your spring reading list. Don't miss it!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a copy of this book free from Thomas Nelson and Litfuse Publicity as part of a blog tour. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Heart's Rebellion, A: A Regency Romance
Heart's Rebellion, A: A Regency Romance
by Ruth Axtell
Price: $11.31
57 used & new from $5.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly satisfying; wonderful cast of characters, March 23, 2014
Lose yourself in a wonderful Regency romance with the latest from Ruth Axtell! This reads so well as a stand-alone that it took me awhile to realize that it's actually a follow-up to her previous release, Moonlight Masquerade. Axtell has once again created a wonderful cast of characters and I was swept up into the world of balls and calling cards and the proper etiquette of the 1815 London season. This is a thoroughly satisfying read that kept me eagerly turning pages. Don't miss it!

Life Support (Grace Medical)
Life Support (Grace Medical)
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Support will revive your spirits and your reading list! Another excellent offering by Calvert, March 11, 2014
Candace Calvert is one of my must-read authors, and her Grace Medical series has endeared her to me even more. It's no secret that as a native Texan I love a book set in the Lone Star State, and Life Support takes place in Houston, where I was born and raised, so I felt an extra connection as the characters frequented areas of town familiar to me. Calvert weaves in delightful tidbits about the city without making it sound like a travelogue, not only making me want to return to this bustling metropolis, but prompting me to feel as if I might run into Lauren, Eli, and the rest of their families and coworkers. The controlled chaos of a busy ER pulses on the pages, and I could practically hear the beeping machines and wails of approaching sirens. An approaching hurricane's threat and its impact on the city and its medical facilities are well-portrayed and become a significant component of the story, a familiar scenario to anyone who has lived along the Gulf Coast. A bigger storm brewing, however, threatens the inner peace of Lauren and Eli as they deal with difficult personal family crises while juggling their jobs in the ER of Grace Medical. As Calvert expertly grafts difficult and relevant issues, with which many readers will identify, into these likable and credible characters' lives, she also administers a large dose of hope, proving why she is known as the author of "medical hope opera." If your spirits (or your reading list!) are sagging, Life Support will revive them! Take two--and give one to a friend!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a copy of this book from Candace Calvert. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Dream Dress, The (Weddings by Design Book #3): A Novel
Dream Dress, The (Weddings by Design Book #3): A Novel
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute delight and a "fitting" addition to this wonderful series!, February 25, 2014
Janice Thompson writes such delightful books, and her Weddings by Design series is pure fun! The first two books, Picture Perfect and The Icing on the Cake were just what their titles implied, and this third novel charmed me as well. Galveston, Texas is once again the setting for a story about a seamstress whose job is making other brides' dreams come true but who wonders if her own dreams will ever materialize. Thompson deftly combines authentic conflicts and struggles with humorous, laugh-out-loud moments, all of which draw the readers deeper into the story and endear Gabi to their hearts. With appearances by a few of the characters that made her earlier Weddings by Bella series so engaging, The Dream Dress is a fitting addition to a much-loved saga, and it's difficult to believe I won't actually encounter any of these folks the next time I'm on the Strand in Galveeston! Fortunately, we don't have to say good-bye just yet as a fourth book, A Bouquet of Love will be coming in August. Don't miss any of the books in this series!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a copy of this book from Revell as part of a blog tour. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Princess Ever After (Royal Wedding Series)
Princess Ever After (Royal Wedding Series)
by Rachel Hauck
Price: $12.33
66 used & new from $4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting and thoroughly satisfying romance, February 18, 2014
I am thoroughly enjoying Rachel Hauck's Royal Wedding series. One Upon a Prince was a delight and Princess Ever After is equally enchanting. Hauck steps outside the box in creating Regina Beswick as the ordinary-girl-becomes-princess, as Reggie's knowledge and passion for car restoration seems to make her an unlikely candidate for one to restore a kingdom--or does it? While the basic premise of this tale reminds me of the movie The Princess Diaries, Hauck wisely steers it in a different direction completely. (And Tanner Burkhardt's character more than compensates for the absence of Julie Andrews!) Reggie's angst as she contemplates stepping up to the plate-er,throne-to become a Princess Ever After are well-portrayed and realistic. After all, while every girl longs to discover she's really a princess, the idea of leaving all that is familiar to assume that role is a bit daunting! Unexpected opposition as well as surprising words of confidence and support factor into her decision. A charming and thoroughly satisfying romance, Princess Ever After will also inspire and encourage readers with its message of faith. Grab your copy today!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a copy of this book from Zondervan and Litfuse Publicity as part of a blog tour. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20