Profile for B. Burns > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

B. Burns RSS Feed (New Hampshire)

Tenergy T-1199BE Universal NiMH Battery Charger
Tenergy T-1199BE Universal NiMH Battery Charger
Offered by Battery Superstore
Price: $14.99
5 used & new from $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Works ok, but clunky and annoying, July 17, 2013
I hate that I have to unplug and replug this thing in every time I want to use it. It's annoying and it means that I need to keep this beast of a charger out in the middle of my living room since I need to able to access the outlet (no hiding it in the corner by the TV stand like we tried at first).

We bought this to charge D batteries for my baby's jumperoo and it works (and it's nice that we don't have to keep buying more D batteries), but I also have 8 AA's that need frequent charging. It seems crazy to me that this thing only fits 4 AA batteries. We have a AA/AAA charger one third the size of this, and it also charges 4.

After reading some of the other reviews (yeah, I should've done that BEFORE buying) I realize that we might not be fully charging our batteries. I had assumed that when the unit turns off the batteries are charged, but I see other people have had to run multiple cycles to get a full charge.

All in all, there aren't many options out there for charging larger (C and D) batteries, and it does serve the goal of not spending money replacing D batteries constantly, but this definitely has it's drawbacks.

Waterford Crystal Digital Photo Frame, 8-Inch
Waterford Crystal Digital Photo Frame, 8-Inch
Offered by Rock Bottom Deals
Price: $117.99
12 used & new from $104.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, May 13, 2013
UPDATE JULY 2013:

I had to bump this down from 5 stars to 4 because after a bout of humid weather the internal digital frame separated from the crystal. I'm sure we could have glued it back together but my mom decided she'd rather leave them separate and put a regular picture in the crystal frame.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Got this for my mom for Mother's Day, and it is just beautiful. I have a Coby 7-inch digital frame and this one is SO MUCH BETTER.

Pros:
- Picture quality is fabulous. High resolution and nice brightness/contrast. There's even an adjustable dial on the left side for the brightness. We had this set up right in front of a window and the brightness was still great.
- Remote control is so convenient. It's so much better than trying to look back and forth between the screen and the buttons on the back to move through the menus.
- Slideshow has a shuffle mode (seems like an obvious feature to include but my Coby doesn't have it)
- Time settings on the slideshow range from 5 seconds to 24 hours (my Coby maxes out at 15 minutes), so if you put 365 pictures on it, you can view a different picture every day for a year. :)

Cons:
- This is basically a stand-alone digital frame set into a Waterford crystal frame and the alignment isn't 100% perfect. The internal digital frame is ever so slightly askew. It's pretty minor though and many people probably wouldn't even notice.

I'm not sure what company makes the actual digital frame, but I intend to find out when I'm ready to upgrade!

Grow the Good Life: Why a Vegetable Garden Will Make You Happy, Healthy, Wealthy, and Wise
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, February 15, 2012
Part how-to guide, part memoir, and part philosophy, this book imparts an excellent combination of practical information, entertaining anecdotes, and inspirational motivation. I finished reading it a few weeks ago and I keep staring longingly out my kitchen window just waiting for the day when I can start planting my vegetables.

Other reviewers have commented that the author tries to push a political agenda with this book. I disagree. The only agenda in this book is to get people to grow food in their backyards. It encourages a respect for nature and a return to a slower, simpler life in this crazy high-tech, super fast-paced world we live in. There's nothing partisan about it. That said, the book does have some science in it - so if you don't believe in evolution or you think global warming is a conspiracy, this one's not for you.

Crawford-Lehigh RC40 40-Feet Retractable Clothesline
Crawford-Lehigh RC40 40-Feet Retractable Clothesline
Price: $18.73
7 used & new from $16.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my clothesline, February 9, 2012
I love having a clothesline, and this one works perfectly. Mine came in a light minty green color, not the white pictured above, but I don't mind. For me it fits one good-sized load of laundry. I'm thinking about getting a second one so I can dry two loads at once.

I haven't had any problems with stretching or slipping. Sure, it sags a little in the middle of the line, but I just put the heavier stuff (towels, jeans, etc.) towards the ends and the lighter stuff in the middle.

A couple other tips:

1. You have to wrap the line around the peg on the bottom of the plastic casing, after you pull it out to the right length and before you hook the other end. This is what keeps the line taut and sturdy.

2. Once you figure out the length you need (making sure the line is nice and taut), mark the line with a permanent marker so you always know how much line to pull out.

Ticket To Ride Asia: Map Collection - Volume 1
Ticket To Ride Asia: Map Collection - Volume 1
Price: $32.37
41 used & new from $27.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, February 8, 2012
My husband and I have been fans of the Ticket to Ride series for a while - we have the original game, the Switzerland edition (which is great when you only have two people), and the card game. We got this one largely because it's the only Ticket to Ride game which you can play with six people (most of the others max out at five).

We tried out the Team Asia version on New Years Eve with two other couples, and it was so much fun! The way it works is each pair has one set of trains to share between them, but each individual has their own train cards and routes. You're not allowed to discuss your strategies, and the only way you can share information with your teammate is by using one of your actions to place cards on the common rack. The result in our case was a hilarious, intense game full of meaningful looks, outbursts of frustration, and lots of, "Why can't you read my mind???"

The Legendary Asia map is fun too, but the dynamic of Team Asia is totally different than the other Ticket to Ride games. Highly recommend!

Keep in mind this is an EXPANSION, not a standalone game! You need a copy of the original to play this.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, February 8, 2012
I bought this to replace the power cord that came with my Asus F8 laptop (it had gotten to the point where it would only charge the battery if I bent the cord a certain way). It works perfectly and is slightly longer than my original cord, which is great - that extra 12 inches or so really makes a difference.

If you're trying to figure out whether this will work for your computer, just compare the numbers in the product description (power input/output, etc.) with what's printed on your original adapter (that box in the middle of the cord). If they're the same, it should work!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Mister, April 29, 2007
I've had this mister for a couple of months now and haven't had any problems with it. I only wish it had the ability to turn off the lights with the mister on, since I'd like to have it on at night but I can't sleep with lights on.