Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
Profile for Chick Lit Goddess > Reviews

Browse

Chick Lit Goddess' Profile

Customer Reviews: 57

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chick Lit Goddess RSS Feed (Dallas, TX)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Peri in Progress
Peri in Progress
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, fun, and a great Chick Lit!, February 19, 2016
This review is from: Peri in Progress (Kindle Edition)
I started “Peri in Progress” in late 2015, and while this book is a quick-moving one, the times in my busy schedule I found time to pick it up–even for just a chapter or two–it was very enjoyable! Thankfully, I finished it, making it my first completed read this year, (“Peri in Progress” will definitely be on my favorite reads of 2016!).

Right away, I fell in love with Peri! She knows she’s got issues–her childhood is falling apart, she’s a little overweight, and her relationship isn’t what she’d like it to be–but I admired her for wanting to change the negative things in her life. Having a her friend by her side to help make these changes–one who was only there to help, not sabotage–was a major plus, and I loved how they interacted. As for her job, being asked to take some time off my well-paying job to work at a restaurant that is struggling, I wouldn’t do it, being tempted to stay home in bed the entire time, but Peri accepted the challenge. It was rewarding to see how Peri overcame learning something that was not ordinary to her–including being around a handsome man like Milo, who introduces her to running.

Near the end, I was holding my breath (sorry, no spoilers), but I was cheering for Peri all the way, and loved how it ended.

As one who’s read all of Cat’s books, her writing gets better and better, making me more of a fan of hers, each book she releases. If you’re wanting a quick, fun, delightful read, I recommend this brilliantly-written page-turner!

I give “Peri in Progress” 5 stars!

Plan Bea
Plan Bea
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book...one I will never forget!!, October 14, 2015
This review is from: Plan Bea (Kindle Edition)
When I first read the blurb of Hilary Grossman's second novel, my interest was very piqued. After all, I enjoy her first book, "Dangled Carat," so I knew I was going to like this one, too. Well, I ended up loving it!

I would love to be friends with Annabel, her husband, and of course, her two little ones. Hilary's writing is so powerful that I was easily drawn to Annabel's mother, Bea, even though she was sarcastic and witchy, at times, though, at the end, I understood why.

"Plan Bea" was an amazing book, one I will never forget. With all the twists and turns in this book, it wasn't predictable, but rather a quick page-turner. If you're looking for a book that will make you wonder if repairing a mother/daughter relationship is possible, I highly recommend this book. It makes you wonder what you can learn by communicating, especially when secrets and horrible events take place, only to discover that years could've gone by without so much pain and hurt.

While I'm blessed to have a wonderful and loving relationship with my mom, I could often relate to Annabel's feelings, and was happy she had her loving husband and his family to lean on. **Warning, when reading this book, it's a must that you have tissues next to you. I can't tell you how many times I cried, and cried, and cried even more.

I give "Plan Bea" 5 stars!

Bad Bridesmaid
Bad Bridesmaid
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I knew I'd love it, and sure enough, October 9, 2014
This review is from: Bad Bridesmaid (Kindle Edition)
When I was approached to read and review this book, I knew I'd love it, and sure enough, I did! Though Mia isn't liked in her family, I found her character to be likable. From leaving the US, and heading home to deal with a demanding and witchy bride (along with her judgmental family), Mia had a lot on her plate. Oh, and of course, add in a couple of sexy men to the mix, too! So what can go wrong?! Everything!

Like I mentioned before, I really liked this book! It was funny (I even laughed out loud at some parts), lighthearted, and was a pleasure to read. The only thing that really bugged me was Mia's confidence. If everyone was so mean to her, then why did she stay? I might be wrong, but all she wanted was just to be liked and loved by her family, so I can understand that. "Bad Bridesmaid" ended way too soon, because I would have loved to see what happened after her sister ran and told everyone Mi'a big news, and to get a little more of her and the man she ended up with, (sorry, no spoilers).

If you're looking for a quick and cute wedding read, I recommend this book.

I give "Bad Bridesmaid" 5 stars!

Going Pecans: A Romantic Comedy (Holiday Sugar Series Book 1)
Going Pecans: A Romantic Comedy (Holiday Sugar Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars I’m already dreaming of my favorite holiday, which is Thanksgiving, August 27, 2014
I started this book on a lazy Friday afternoon, when I decided to take off the rest of the day. Though Texas hasn’t had a really hot summer, I’m already dreaming of my favorite holiday, which is Thanksgiving, so this was a perfect read to dive into.

I loved how the book began. The touching, and at times, funny, letter from the grandmother was really sweet. It drew me in, and I wanted to know if Lauren could master the art of baking the precious and important pie, for her family. Lauren’s search of the right pecans was quite an adventuresome, but she managed to be graceful…even when she wasn’t. I must say that Lauren was more brave than I would be, especially in a winter storm, and with a broken car. While she might not have usually got in the car with a stranger, part of me thought she was playing a game…all for the pecans. As for Jack, the man who held the key ingredient, I liked him, even though he had a mysterious way about him.

The ending was a sweet one, and will have you craving a piece of pie–I was! It also left me wondering if there will be a sequel next year…

If you’re looking for a quick and delightful holiday read, you will love “Going Pecans”.

I give “Going Pecans” 5 stars!

Photo Play
Photo Play
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to like this but, but didn't..., August 19, 2014
This review is from: Photo Play (Kindle Edition)
Every now and then, I enjoy reading erotica short stories, so I decided to read and review “Photo Play”. While I liked the concept of the storyline, along with sometimes liking Darla’s character, I found it difficult to follow. Kon seemed way too forceful–even for an erotica–and I wished that Darla had more confidence in herself to stand up to Kon, especially if she really didn’t want him to be doing anything to her. I wanted to know more about how she felt or thought, as I found it really hard to believe Darla wanted Kon.

As for the writing, I found it to be all over the place. I didn’t know what was happening to Darla, how she felt, or how much time had passed between them.

While I wanted to like this book a lot, I found it hard to get into, nor did I find anything about it erotic.

I give this book 3 stars.

In the Mirror
In the Mirror
Price: $6.15

5.0 out of 5 stars You must read this book, May 2, 2014
This review is from: In the Mirror (Kindle Edition)
It brings me great joy to share this review on the release day of In the Mirror, (CONGRATULATIONS, Kaira!). I had never read anything by Kaira Rouda, so I was beyond ecstatic when she asked me if I would read and review her newest book. Instantly, I jumped at the chance, as I’ve seen her books and have heard such amazing things about how they draw you in.

Right from the start, I was, in fact, drawn in, and was pursued by Kaira’s main character, Jennifer. Even though she was in a serious state of her cancer, Jennifer was a fighter, who wanted to keep her life as normal as possible. Since she’s in a treatment center with other patients, she has become friends with a wonderful man, who, at times, I thought was a little too forward, but I understood why he acted the way he did, along with the significance of his character, but only at the end.

Jennifer appears to have a loving marriage, and two children she adore her, even if she can’t be at home with them. Along with them, she also has a sister who seems a little too mysterious (something was off about her from the beginning), a mother who cares, yet has a hard time of showing it, and a father who loves her. What more could one want, right? Well, from the moment her ex is mentioned, I got not such a good feeling about him, and that only strengthened when he went to visit Jennifer…and took her away, (nope, no spoilers, but let’s just say I was holding my breath the whole time).

While reading In the Mirror, I laughed and cried, but not only that, I got angry, too, and wanted to protect Jennifer from any evilness that would come her way.

The last paragraph of the book did have me wounding a lot — did Jennifer die, or did she fall asleep. As of now, I’m still debating what really happened, but I think that’s what Kaira wanted her readers to do — to think about the situation, and all that Jennifer went through.

Like I mentioned above, this was my first book by Kaira Rouda, and it won’t be my last. She’s an amazing author, who leaves you wanting more, both from her characters and her books. If you’re looking for a book that is a fast, quick read, one you can’t put down and will tug and melt your heart along the way, added with a little mystery at the end, I highly recommend In the Mirror!

Dangled Carat
Dangled Carat

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED THIS BOOK!, April 24, 2014
This review is from: Dangled Carat (Kindle Edition)
After I featured an excerpt of “Dangled Carat” as part of a Chick Lit Plus Blog Tour, I received an email from the author asking if I’d like to read and review this book. With my review schedule, I didn’t think I would be able to get a review out until May. However, it was a lazy weekend, so I decided to start “Dangled Carat”, even though I was reading two other books. Once I did, I literally could not put this book down, and was sad when I had to stop to go to dinner with friends that night. All I wanted to read was this book, wanting to see if Marc would finally propose.

The blurb hooked me right away. My fifth wedding anniversary is coming up, but I was with my husband for 6 years (YES, SIX) before he proposed, so I felt that I could relate to the main character, Hilary. It turns out that she and I are very similar. We both loved our men, they just wouldn’t put a ring on the finger, no matter how many times their friends nudged them about it.

There were some scenes where I cringed (the New Year’s Eve party especially), feeling sorry for Hilary, but she handled it like a pro, (I wouldn’t have). Hilary and Marc’s characters are very believable, and written very well. I liked that the author wrote scenes during their years together, making it nice to see how their relationship evolved over the years. The only thing that I thought this book was missing was more of Hilary and Marc together — I wanted to feel physical chemistry between them during the present time, because at times, I felt like they were just roommates, not lovers who have been together for so long.

If you’re looking to read an awesome book, one that you won’t want to put down, I highly recommend “Dangled Carat”! No matter what stage you’re at in your love life, you will truly enjoy this book!

I give this book 5 stars!

**Reviewer note: While “Dangled Carat” is a memoir, it doesn’t read like one, and you will not be disappointed!

Fun After the Fire
Fun After the Fire
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Spicy!, April 10, 2014
Madeleine Lakewood reached out to me, offering to send me her book for an honest review. I instantly downloaded it, and began reading.

Briana and Dan hooked up pretty quickly, which I didn’t mind at all because they weren’t strangers, and found there to be an innocence about their lovemaking. For any good erotica, I feel that there must be very vivid descriptions, and this book was just that — quite descriptive, but not overly done, and I felt that I was still able to use my imagination, too. Very well-written, Madeleine Lakewood!

If you’re looking for a spicy and erotica read that you can read during lunch, before bed, or perhaps to help you get in the mood, I recommend “Fun After the Fire.”

I give this book 4 stars!

The Golden Apple
The Golden Apple

5.0 out of 5 stars A romantic page turner!, March 25, 2014
This review is from: The Golden Apple (Kindle Edition)
Words cannot describe how much I enjoyed this book. It started quickly, and before too long, I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough.

After Poppy moved to New York, her adventure with starting a new life and finding herself started right away. I liked that she had a girlfriend who she could rely on, and seemed to take to Austin almost immediately. While I wouldn’t have been as aggressive as she was (sleeping with him in the same bed, and staying at his home on most nights), I liked how Faerl didn’t make Poppy’s and Austin’s relationship based on sex, but rather romantic and innocent.

There were times when I wanted Poppy to stop thinking, and go with what I thought she wanted all along, which was to be with Austin, but I think that’s what made the book even more dramatic. (I won’t give you any spoilers). :)

Faerl Marie is a very gifted author who has written a wonderful heartwarming and memorable book, and I cannot wait to read what she’ll come out with next.

There's Cake in My Future
There's Cake in My Future
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what chick lit is! Loved it, February 20, 2014
I received Kim Gruenenfelder’s book, “Keep Calm and Carry a Big Drink,” for Christmas. Since it’s part of a series, like always, I wanted to start with the first book that revolves around the lives of Nicole, Melissa, Seema, and Scott. It turned out that I already had the first one, “There’s Cake in My Future,” so I immediately began reading.

Nicole (Nic): At first I wasn’t too sure about Nic’s character, but I loved her at the end. As an engaged woman, she seemed like a stuck-up bridezilla. But after she marries the man of her dreams and is now the step-mother of his children, something about her character changed. While she complained to her friends about her honeymoon, which wasn’t what she thought it would be, the early mornings with her step-daughters, there was a part of me that thought she really wanted to embrace it more than she wanted to let on to others (including herself), which she did! Without any spoilers, at the end it seemed that marriage and motherhood suited her just fine.

Melissa (Mel): From the beginning to the end, I felt sorry for Mel. From dating a man who she loves, to desperately (and humorously) trying out new dating adventures, Mel just wanted what any other woman wants, and that’s to be loved. There were times I found her to be too needy, but other times I’d find her to be strong and courageous. She redeemed herself to me at the end when she finally gained confidence in herself.

Seema and Scott: To this day the question is wondered about by many…can men and women just be friends? I loved the friendship between Seema and Scott. From the beginning, they seemed like a couple, always calling each other nicknames and taking care of each other. One of my favorite parts about this friendly couple was when they watched When Harry Met Sally, (what girl doesn’t love that movie?). After they have a similar WHMS moment, I was curious as to how they would be with one another, especially Seema. I won’t give any spoilers, but I’m happy to say that things worked out just fine for both of them…including the woman who Scott was seeing.

Having a “cake pull” as the center of a chick lit book was a great idea, which was one of the things that drew me in to begin with. For the characters, there was definite distinction between them, and they weren’t predictable either. “There’s Cake in My Future” had me laughing from the first page to the last. I often stayed up late reading because I wanted to know what was next for each character.

This was my first book by Kim Gruenenfelder, and it won’t be my last, (I’m currently reading “Keep Calm and Carry a Big Drink”). She is an amazing author who has written a comical, witty, and memorable book, which has reminded me why I love the chick lit genre. Kim Gruenenfelder is my new favorite author, and I can’t wait to see what she’s coming up with next.

“There’s Cake in My Future” is a story about love and friendship, along with being a wonderful example of demonstrating that the things you think can be controlled, simply can’t. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves chick lit and wants to read a page-turner that could easily be read during a lazy weekend.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6