Profile for N. petty > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

N. petty "Surround Junkie" RSS Feed (Below the Thumb)

OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player (SACD / DVD-Audio / 3D Blu-ray)
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player (SACD / DVD-Audio / 3D Blu-ray)
Price: $499.00
9 used & new from $429.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stereo sound, volume control and networking is a real bonus!, July 7, 2014
I had long desired an OPPO DVD/SACD/DVD Audio/CD Player and finally got my chance. The box was well packaged and set up was a breeze. I purchased this mainly as a Stereo CD/SACD player and occasional support for my TV with Netflix or a BluRay. The sound of this player is excellent and has nearly nullified my Music Hall 25.3 DAC as the Oppo internal DAC is every bit as good for my CD's.
The big surprise is that I can wirelessly network to my laptop and access thousands of songs right through the Oppo menus. The menu is straight forward and easy to navigate, and it is wonderful to have all my music right on hand. The volume control on the remote lets me watch movies and listen to music on my vintage (read no remote) stereo system without hassled by my wife ("turn that down!")
This is a quality piece of equipment and is perfect for my system.

JT
JT
Price: $29.46
14 used & new from $23.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Great SACD Audio and Musicality, April 24, 2012
This review is from: JT (Audio CD)
I have been collecting SACD's as I find them and on a whim purchased the JT SACD without really looking into the song content. I couldn't be more pleased. This is James Taylor at his best with great folksy tunes and of course the bluesy "Traffic Jam" and one full blown old timey country song "Bartender Blues" (which turned out to be my favorite on the album even though I typically don't care much for country music).

The packaging for this although cardboard has an internal foam sleeve to protect the surface of the SACD from scratches. The package was also stamped with a serial number, nice touch.

The audio quality of this album is outstanding. The music is well mastered using the full headroom available from rich bass to cymal cylibence. If you are into SACD and enjoy James Taylor, I highly recommend this for your collection.

I also have James Taylor Hourglass on SACD (5.1Channel, Stereo - non hybrid) and often use this as a demonstration disk to show off my system.

Cmple - IR Infrared Repeater System Remote Control Extender IR Emitters
Cmple - IR Infrared Repeater System Remote Control Extender IR Emitters
Offered by Cmple
Price: $38.99
7 used & new from $17.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little remote extender, November 15, 2010
Bought the IR repeater so I could control my garage stereo from my attached patio. The installation was straight forward and was set up in a matter of minutes. It works flawlessly to control my reciever and DVD player. My only complaint is that the system is a little clunky with the modules you need to plug into. I would like to see it set up with something that could make the wire lenghts variable/custom for installation.

Rev-A-Shelf RAS-ML-HDCR Heavy Duty Mixer Lift - Wire-Chrome
Rev-A-Shelf RAS-ML-HDCR Heavy Duty Mixer Lift - Wire-Chrome
Offered by OVIS
Price: $79.95
10 used & new from $75.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great design, well built, November 15, 2010
This is one well manufactured product. The fit and finish of the parts were amazing. The assembly was straight forward and I like the fact that I could change the lift assist by adjusting the spring. I installed into a cabinet for my mothers very large Kitchen Aid mixer and it works excellent. It can be a little unbalanced feeling when raising, but I didn't see a way to design around this.

Memphis C924XL Grip Light Multi Purpose Glove with LED Light, XLarge
Memphis C924XL Grip Light Multi Purpose Glove with LED Light, XLarge
Price: $15.74

3.0 out of 5 stars Funky gloves not fully developed, November 15, 2010
I purchased two pair of these gloves for my FIRST Robotics Team. We had been looking for the gloves by Mechanix, but they were not available anywhere in larger or xl sizes. These glove came with a little light that was simply inserted into a velcro pouch on the gloves. We found the light was often in our way and it wasn't long until the lights fell out and were lost. I would like to see gloves with the lights built in, perhaps fiber optics.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2013 6:29 PM PST

Koss PortaPro Headphones with Case
Koss PortaPro Headphones with Case
Price: $39.36
38 used & new from $28.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Ugly but sweet, November 15, 2010
Comfortable to wear and extremely natural sound balanced between rich bass and sweet highs. Too many many headphones these days are trying to boost the bass to absurd levels, these are not those headphones. I am an audiophile and am proud to have two pairs of Koss PortaPro headphones in my collection (one for work, one for my Zune).

Phone Booth
Phone Booth
DVD ~ Colin Farrell
Offered by Chicago-Media
Price: $18.99
380 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Relax and Enjoy... don't waste time nitpicking!, September 3, 2004
This review is from: Phone Booth (DVD)
I sat down to enjoy an 81 minute film and that is exactly what I did. I was captured for that time and often held at the edge of my seat. This film is a thriller of our post 9/11 days that were formed out of not knowing our enemy. The transition of the main charater from top of his game to victim was stunning. I enjoyed the P-I-P insets and found them effective and good for the intensity. As the intensity of the film increased so did the crisp low bass tones to help rumble that nervous feeling deep in the pit of the stomach.

It may not have been Forest's best job, but he always carries a real screen charisma. Colin pulled off an excellent job. My only complaint is with his dissappearing NYC/Latino accent (at least that was my take on what he was trying to pull off in the opening scene). Although the two women (non-hookers) in the film had very small parts, I did like the fact that Colin's wife looked like more real than most films allow, and the girlfriend was not overdone as well. The sniper's voice (I didn't recognize it at Kiefer's) was deep, rich, and calm (perfect for creepiness). By not using a telephone compressor for the voice and giving it a non-directional speaker presence the Director showed a stroke of genius.

This isn't a great big overdone film with fancy sets and big explosions, but is is a great big thriller with fine acting and excellent directing. The movie isn't about ballistics or police strategies - it may just be about unknown enemies, and maybe that enemy lies within us. Cheers!