Profile for D. Coral > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 188

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Coral RSS Feed
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Bose CineMate 130 Home Theater System
Bose CineMate 130 Home Theater System
Price: $1,499.00
10 used & new from $1,499.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Soundbar produces most dimensional sound in horizontal position, October 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As an audiophile and former musician, I was skeptical at first whether the Bose CineMate 130 could come anywhere close to my setup with the Marantz SR5008 amp, HSU Research subwoofer, and Axiom M60v2 floorstanding speakers. But I'm amazed, the Bose compares very favorably!

First I set it up with the soundbar on the wall under the TV. The sound from this orientation lacked depth and staging, so I changed it around to lay the soundbar on top of the furniture console. With that small change the 3D sound jumped to life! So I recommend arranging the TV furniture and placing the soundbar as shown in the diagram in the manual on page 9, "Sample system placement."

Also running ADAPTiQ audio calibration is must (takes less than 5 minutes), as the audio calibration makes a night and day difference.

It turns out I decided to replace the Marantz/Axiom setup with this Bose 130 because I can't tell enough difference between the two to justify the extra room space used up by the floorstanding speakers and extra amp. This Bose produces surprisingly clear and dimensional sound for its deceivingly compact size. At first I thought I was only going to test it. Now I'm keeping it!

Makita DS4000 9 Amp 1/2-Inch Drill with Spade Handle
Makita DS4000 9 Amp 1/2-Inch Drill with Spade Handle
Price: $279.00
6 used & new from $279.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet motor, perfect for mixing concrete, October 25, 2014
I bought this Makita DS4000 after I burned out the motor in my DeWalt heavy duty drill while mixing concrete. This Makita is excellent! It is quiet -- I just finished mixing 16 bags of concrete for fence posts, working late into the night, and I didn't have to worry about the neighbors being bothered by the noise because this drill is so quiet. While I was mixing the buckets it sounded a bit like a helicopter in the distance (with most the sound coming from the mixer blade hitting the sides of the bucket). This is sealed well from moisture. There was a leak on the hose end, and water kept spraying everywhere getting this tool damp. But it never shorted out, kept purring along. The forward/reverse button is sealed from moisture with a rubber shell, and the handles are plastic which keeps the user safe from electrical shocks. This is one of my new favorite tools.

Simpson Strong Tie PGT2Z-R Pipe Grip Tie
Simpson Strong Tie PGT2Z-R Pipe Grip Tie
Price: $3.14
12 used & new from $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beefy, October 23, 2014
These are strong, made out of the Simpson Strong Tie thick metal, not the cheap thin metal variety. I'm using these to attach terminal fence posts to a concrete wall.

Ipevo USB SuperCharger Multi-Charger Dock for iPad, iPhone, iPod and USB Devices (PC01)
Offered by IPEVO INC.
Price: $59.00
2 used & new from $59.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Size comparison, October 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
To get an idea for the size of this charger, it's the exact same size as my iPhone 5S, except it is 3x thicker. It feels heavy and solid. It is very nice that the 2.1A are per-port rather than spread out across all the ports. I measured 0.0 Watts using the Kill-A-Watt meter when no devices are plugged in, so this has negligible phantom power draw when it is not in use. I keep this on our nightstand to keep all our gadgets purring.

My Big Animal Book (My Big Board Books)
My Big Animal Book (My Big Board Books)
by Roger Priddy
Edition: Board book
Price: $6.85
65 used & new from $3.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby's favorite book, October 17, 2014
This is one of the essentials in the My Big Board Books series.

I was flipping through the book right now to describe some of the animals for the review. Toucan, Giraffe, ... Then our toddler reached out from the crib and he grabbed the book from me, put it underneath his stomach, and started sleeping on it. So I guess he likes it!

First 100 Numbers (Bright Baby)
First 100 Numbers (Bright Baby)
by Roger Priddy
Edition: Board book
Price: $8.05
85 used & new from $1.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Clarification about 1-100, October 17, 2014
The My Big Board Book series is great! This book is a little confusing about the title.

There are four total pages with straight counting with actual numbers:

- 1 page inside the front cover counting 1-10
- 2 pages counting 1-12
- 1 page at the end counting 1-100

The rest of the book consists of puzzles (can you count this? which one is in the wrong order? etc.)

I would have preferred that more of the book contain the numbers 1-100.

Living the Secular Life: New Answers to Old Questions
Living the Secular Life: New Answers to Old Questions
by Phil Zuckerman
Price: $19.23

4.0 out of 5 stars Stories and guidance, "Aweism", October 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I came across one of professor Phil Zuckerman's magazine columns and I was impressed. He doesn't just attack religion, he encourages people to embrace certain aspects of religion that contribute to the warm & fuzzy of society, while explaining why it is perfectly normal to be non-religious for other aspects. This book expands on those concepts and does a lot of explaining about how non-religious ("secular") people are perceived by society, and how they cope when they don't fit into the social scene of the religious. There are a number of personal stories mixed in with an analysis of what's driving people to choose to be secular and how this fits, or sometimes doesn't fit, with modern culture.

I consider myself non-religious, a "passive observer" but not a participant of the spiritual world, because since childhood I had several wonderful relatives, and best friends, all of whom I greatly admired, who were of completely different faiths who would talk down the other person's religion. Out of complete confusion, during early childhood I decided to be neutral and not subscribe to any of these religions that claimed all the others are false.

My favorite part of this book is the chapter where the author goes into an elaborate discussion of the best fitting term for the non-religious, tossing around the pros and cons of being labeled Agnostic, Secular, and finally settling on Aweism to describe his sense of awe and appreciation for life. I like how he flipped around the labels that describe "what we are not" into an idea for a label that captures the inspiration of life here and now.

I didn't give this book 5 stars is because I think some of the analysis can be more complex and deeper:

For example in the book the author tends to paints secular people the same box that we all dismiss the idea of life after death. However I personally believe in life after death for scientific reasons. In my university studies I have explored deep topics in neuroscience and philosophy of mind, and there is plenty of rational basis to believe that the finite life on this planet is not the end. As infinite time continues after death (time which we cannot sense) it would be very strange that only "nothingness" exists forever. Such continued experience after death is unlikely to be similar to our current human experience, and probably won't carry the same sense of identity, but for a brain teaser ask the simple question - "where were you before you were born?"

If the author would explore the diversity of ideas across the non-religious population for some of these interesting philosophical puzzles in a deeper sense, then the book would address more of the topics I find particularly interesting about being non-religious. There is no concrete answer to such metaphysical questions, but there is comfort sometimes in knowing that some things remain unknown. There is no need for black and white dismissal if something doesn't have scientific evidence.

Viva Labs Organic Cacao Powder: Raw and Non-GMO, 1lb Bag
Viva Labs Organic Cacao Powder: Raw and Non-GMO, 1lb Bag
Offered by Premium Vitamins
Price: $18.95
4 used & new from $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, for now.., October 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This powder is so yummy and pure, but I'm curious if the price will remain this low for much longer. There is an article on NPR.org from Oct 15, 2014, "Should You Stock Up On Chocolate Bars?" Analysts are predicting a large spike in the price of Cacao, so if you are thinking about buying this super healthy powder, earlier is better, don't wait too long to stock up. The other major news outlets, Reuters, etc. are covering this business story about Cacao supply as well.

Lenovo C260 19.5-Inch All-in-One Touchscreen Desktop (57327041) Black
Lenovo C260 19.5-Inch All-in-One Touchscreen Desktop (57327041) Black
Price: $449.99
31 used & new from $449.99

3.0 out of 5 stars First impression compared to my HP All-in-One, October 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When evaluating a computer it is useful to compare it to other alternatives. I also have the HP Pavilion 23-p010 23-Inch All-in-One computer. Although this particular HP model costs $200 more, it is interesting to see what you get for that additional $200 (which is not much of a price difference considering how long most people usually keep desktop computers).

The Lenovo C260 is a nice computer for kids since it is affordable and doesn't take up much space on a small desk. In my couple days testing so far, it is good for basic office applications and web browsing, but I wish the performance was better during Windows startup or while playing high resolution videos. But this still plenty sufficient as a kid's homework and web browsing computer, or for newer computer users.

Now for the comparison:

The Lenovo C260 has a 19.5" 1600x900 screen while the HP 23-p010 has a 23" 1920x1080 screen. This Lenovo is more compact to use up even less desk space, while the HP 23-p010 has a wonderfully large screen.

I noticed some things that work pretty fast on the HP are much slower on the Lenovo. If we look at the CPU stats, the Lenovo scores 2,064 on the PassMark CPU benchmark, and the HP scores 4,198 running the same PassMark CPU benchmark. The Lenovo uses the new Intel J2900 processor which was designed for low power use. But along with the super power efficiency of the Intel J2900 comes reduced performance.

There are a some other technical measures that are better on the HP (memory, drive space, wireless, graphics) but the two that I mentioned are the ones that are the most noticeable -- the screen size and resolution and the overall performance. Is it worth an extra $200 to get something like the HP 23-p010? If this is for your primary desktop computer, I recommend one with better performance. This Lenovo is ok if you use it more for office type apps rather than cutting edge games or multimedia.

Pros: price, compact size, very low power use.
Cons: poor performance relative to other desktops.

Playskool Stack n Spin Monkey Gears
Playskool Stack n Spin Monkey Gears
Price: $19.97
9 used & new from $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Our toddler's new favorite toy, October 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Our 18 month old boy LOVES playing with these monkey gears. Instead of putting all the gears on the side axles, he prefers to pile the center gear as high as possible and then make them all spin as a tower. The toy is designed so that the motor is pretty weak, just enough to turn the gears, but not strong enough to trap little fingers. If you touch the rotation lightly it stops moving. I consider this a learning toy, not just for entertaining, since it shows the relationship between moving parts.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20