Profile for teacher > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 74

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

teacher RSS Feed (United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Gone Girl
Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn
Price: $8.02
507 used & new from $0.47

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful, clever, fun book despite the ending, September 25, 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
I read this book the first day it was published. I could not put it down and finished it in a day. I loved everything about the book until, of course, you've heard this before--the end. I hated, hated, hated, hated the ending. And originally gave this book a one star rating as a punishment for letting me down so much. However, I quickly came to terms with it and gobbled up Ms. Flynn's other books. Recently, as we move closer to the release of the movie, I decided to read it again, but more slowly so that I could digest more of the plot points and ponder more of its questions about marriage and relationships between men and women. The cool-girl speech was particularly spot-on. I am really looking forward to the movie.

Reading and Vocabulary Focus 3
Reading and Vocabulary Focus 3
by Jessica Williams
Price: $42.01
46 used & new from $15.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Students liked it, but hard to teach from, September 9, 2014
My students really liked this book. I personally found it hard to teach from, though. Probably the best part of the book is the vocabulary section. The book presents fixed expressions as part of the vocabulary section. These are interesting and very useful. The readings are also quite interesting. The part I didn't like is that the reading strategy section is very thin. You really need to supplement the book and you really need to know how to teach reading. There are also some errors in the book. There is one chapter where cause/effect expressions are taught (since, because of, as a result). Then you are supposed to find the expressions in the reading. Unfortunately, NONE of the expressions taught are actually in the reading! NONE!

The Sleep Apnea Cure: How to Treat and Overcome Sleep Apnea for Life (Sleep Apnea Cure, Sleep Apnea Treatment, Sleep Apnea CPAP, Sleep Disorder, Sleep Apnea Pillow, Sleep Apnea)
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars This is a rip off!, September 5, 2014
You can find the same information online for FREE! DO NOT BUY THIS!

Garmin nüvi 52LM 5-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps (US)
Garmin nüvi 52LM 5-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps (US)
Price: Click here to see our price
76 used & new from $74.10

3.0 out of 5 stars it's far from perfect but better than nothing, September 5, 2014
I am single person who just moved to Calfornia. I bought this for several road trips to around Pacific Coast Highway 1 and to Yosemite. I had resisted buying a GPS for a long time because I really like maps and I like figuring out where to go using a map. However, I thought it would be dangerous to drive along Highway 1 while looking at a paper map, so I got this GPS.

1. The first place I programmed it to go to was a Howard Johnson's in my city. I didn't know there was an HJ even. My Garmin took me to a Best Western. Maybe they are now the same place, but I did not see an HJ anywhere in the vicinity. So it fails the first time I use it.

2. Before even leaving my city the Garmin flies off the dash board and lands on my geer shift. Crap. I put it back on while I'm driving and it starts to tell me to turn left in a direction that I knew must have been wrong.

3. The second place (a state park) I program it to go to, it takes me to the wrong entrance where a police officer is waiting to escort me back to Highway 1. I ended up going in the opposite direction then on Highway 1.

4. It works for most other places, but it could not find the Henry Miller LIbrary.

5. On my way back home along Highway 1, the Garmin kept on flying off the dash board. it finally landed on the other side of the car and I just left it there.

I did buy a different mount and that helped. It sometimes took me to the right place, and I was very thankful for it. Other times, it gave me crazy routes. I used both google maps and mapquest on my smart phone on a drive through SF, and it gave me a route completely different from google maps and mapquest. While driving through SF, the road signs were telling me to take a certain road to San Jose, while Garmin was telling me to take a completely different road. Weird! I went with my gut and followed the road sign. Another time, on my way back from Yosemite, and it told me to take this windy, crazy country road in the middle of nowhere. Google Maps and Mapquest told me to keep on the highway. My instincts told me that something was not right and I followed mapquest and it turned out MUCH better. I think I would have had a lot of problems if I had followed my Garmin those 2 times.

I learned that you need to not blindly follow this GPS. You need to do some research with paper maps and online maps.

I like that it tells you the time of arrival, your speed and how much further to your next turn. It is bright and easy to see.

Since I am single and drive around a lot by myself, I wish I had spent more money on a better GPS especially something that allows me to choose alternative routes. This one does not let you and it is a pain. I think if you often drive with someone else, that other person can double check with their phone and lead you in the right direction, and you can go with a cheaper model. I am glad, though, that I purchased it because having it is much better than holding a piece of paper in one hand and reading it while driving. It lessens one's anxiety. So really it is better than nothing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2014 9:51 PM PDT

Big Little Lies
Big Little Lies
by Liane Moriarty
Price: $14.11
152 used & new from $8.95

4.0 out of 5 stars So very, very, very clever!, September 5, 2014
This review is from: Big Little Lies (Hardcover)
This is the third Liane Moriarty book that I have read in the past month and ever. This one follows the same formula as "The Husband's Secret" and "What Alice Forgot" in that there is a big secret hinted at in the beginning, as the book progresses the author leaves little hints here and there as she gradually reveals the big secret. Although her books are spun in the same way, Moriarty is successful in reeling her reader in and not letting the reader let go and get on with her/his life because darn it you just want to know what the big secret is. You can't go to bed, clean your house, do the laundry, or finish that darn CV that has been nagging you for the past year until you get to the end. Although some people might condescendingly say that this is just "chick lit," but my what brilliant and clever chick lit it is. I want to gobble up all of her books. This one out of all the three is probably the one I could not put down the most. I started it Tuesday evening and finished it Wednesday at 4:00 pm. The secret at the end was not what I expected. I did not see it coming.

Another thing that is so interesting is that the books all take place in contemporary Australia so you get to learn a bit about another culture. However, at the same time, it feels exactly like the story could take place in the U.S. Some of the issues, the TV shows, the famous people mentioned, the friendly way people interact feels so American. Bullying, which is the theme in this one, is a hot issue in the U.S. now, too. I'm wondering though if some of these cultural aspects have been changed in the U.S. version to fit American readers. I mean in the Australian version are the characters also watching "Biggest Loser?"

So why the 4 stars instead of 5? Well, I guess because I just don't like the endings. I haven't really liked any of the endings of any of the books. I won't give it away by saying anymore but I'm always let down at the end.

Pilot [HD]
Pilot [HD]
DVD

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful!, August 31, 2014
This is the first of the pilots that I chose to watch because I am very interested in the concept of expat life having been one myself. Unfortunately, this show does not work. The acting is amateurish, the dialogue is ridiculous and humorless, and the story is boring. Some friends meet in a cafe, go to a party, and then get in a taxi. There is an odd relationship between the characters and the way they talk to each other is very stilted and unnatural.

Garmin Portable Friction Mount - Frustration Free Packaging
Garmin Portable Friction Mount - Frustration Free Packaging
Price: Click here to see our price

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!, August 24, 2014
I love this mount almost as much as I love my garmin gps. Without it, I probably would have either driven off a cliff along highway one or crashed into another car as my GPS flung itself off my dash for the hundredth time. So if you are about to throw your GPS out the window because the suction on it is worthless, don't fret. Hop onto amazon and buy this friction mount RIGHT AWAY! Really it probably saved my life!

Great Writing 4: From Great Paragraphs to Great Essays
Great Writing 4: From Great Paragraphs to Great Essays
by Keith S. Folse
56 used & new from $23.00

3.0 out of 5 stars better than most writing books on the market today, August 11, 2014
The title of the book is wrong. It should be Great Writing 4: Great Essay! Great Writing 3 is the book that goes from paragraphs to great essays. Someone should fix this.

I used this book for a high intermediate writing and grammar class in an 8-week course in an IEP. The students were mainly from East Asia, Central Asia, and Europe. They were already familiar with essay writing when they started the class. The previous level had introduced it. Many of the students were planning on attending university in the states. Upon completion of the course, several took the TOEFL exam. One student increased her writing score by 3 points from a 19 to 22 and another student said that she increased her writing score by 6 points. I'm not sure what her last score was but it sounded like it was close to 30.

The Good
* Lots of essay models! There are some good ones especially the models for the argumentative essay.
* Simple and clear charts for connectors, noun clauses, adjective clauses, and conditionals.
* The gloss next to each essay - very nice and useful! Saves the poor teacher and students time and energy looking up words
* I am thankful that there are no sentences that start with but, and, or so like so many other ESL textbooks.

The Bad or the Useless
* Some very confusing model essays - the Fall of the Soviet Union and the Cinderella essays. If you use the models in the cause-effect chapter to teach cause-effect essays, you may confuse your students. It's better to make up your own essays.
* The outlining is too simplistic. My students needed better examples of outlining. Outlining is done better in Great Writing 3.
* Almost every essay has at least one sentence with a dash. Dashes are too advanced for students at this level. They are also too informal for academic writing and they are unnecessary. My students are still trying to figure out the comma!
* I have never used the vocabulary section because I teach in an IEP and there is no time. It would be great if the publishers gave some suggestions on how to incorporate it in the class. All of my students like to choose their own topic to write about so the vocabulary section seems irrelevant for them at the moment. I usually skip it.
* I've never used the sentence building section since I teach in an IEP and there is no time. I would like to, though. Thankfully,there is an explanation of what to do with these sentence building exercises.
* The writers spend too much time having the students analyze essays before starting the process of writing them. Again, this is impractical in an IEP. The analyzing questions are not very helpful. It's more helpful having students do a reverse outline. It would be better if there were exercises in each chapter for each stage of the writing process such as the brainstorming, outlining, revising for content and organization, and revising for language.
* The pictures!!!! I guess it's because National Geographic is now the publisher of this series so that they need to put in their pictures of cool places. Sure, they are beautiful pictures but I don't see how they add anything to the content. They take up space, cut up essays and exercises so that half of an essay is on one page and the other half is on the next page. And it gives the publisher a reason to charge so much for the book.
* There are some frustrating inconsistencies. In the argumentative chapter, The book first covers using modals to hedge one's writing. It teaches the students to use must/should for introducing your argument and may/might to introduce the counterargument. Then the next exercise is writing counterarguments and refuting them. You would think that in the models that the writers use to show the students how to do this they would include the different modals that they had just told the students to use. Unfortunately, they don't use any modals in their models and in their exercises. It's like a parent who tells their children that smoking is bad for them and then turns around and smokes. How are you supposed to teach students how to hedge when the textbook doesn't even do it? Frustrating!
* The support material from the publisher is not useful. There is a CD-ROM with exercises from the book. What a teacher needs is to have the model essays on the CD-ROM so that the teacher can point to different parts or aspects of the essay while they are teaching. Underline different parts or sentences. Give them freedom to change and move parts of the model essays around.

What I want to see in a textbook:
* Lots of models that are not confusing!
* Outlining using the method taught in Great Writing 3 with the different levels of major and minor support. Get students to do reverse outlines.
* A teacher's book that explains the writer's rationale behind some of what appears to be pointless exercises. I heard Keith Folse speak at TESOL in Portland and he said that the material for this book is the same material that he and his colleagues developed many years ago to teach writing. Ok. Great! But tell us more! If you are going to charge over $40 for a textbook, give more useful support to the teacher. I can instead create my own material that makes sense to me.

Of course, all teachers need to supplement the textbook, but it would be nice if I could use more of the $40+ book or cut the book in half and charge students and teachers less.

I still recommend this book only because there is NOTHING else out there that is any better than this. However, the writers and publisher could do better.

Giving Academic Presentations, Second Edition (Michigan Series in English for Academic & Professional Purposes)
by Susan M. Reinhart
Price: $24.95
55 used & new from $13.62

3.0 out of 5 stars The first chapter is great!, August 10, 2014
I bought this book for a presentation class for students who were matriculating into graduate schools programs. The first chapter is quite useful and interesting. It deals with giving an introductory speech. The following chapters then deal with giving about an object (boring!), a speech about a concept/definition, a process speech, and a problem-solution speech. There are some useful pieces of information in the book. I liked the information on pronunciation such as pausing, stress, intonation and rhetorical devices such as cleft sentences, rhetorical questions, and using 'Let me.' There is also a variety of rubrics/evaluation forms that are quite good. Unfortunately, it is missing a lot of important information. It doesn't introduce an outline or the components of a speech. There is no video or audio. it barely covers transitions and ways to move from main point to the next. You can find better information on giving a speech on a website from a university in Colorado. You can find the first chapter online, but don't let it fool you because the rest of the chapters are not as good.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2014 10:18 AM PDT

Sleep Apnea Cure Solution: The Ultimate Sleep Apnea Treatment & Relief Guide for Overcoming Sleep Apnea Forever! (Sleep Apnea Diet)
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of money!, August 10, 2014
You can find the same information on any website such as the Mayo Clinic or sleepapnea.org or wikipedia for free. It's very short and very simple. I wish I had not bought it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8