Profile for Ben Rubenstein > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ben Rubenstein RSS Feed (Chicago, IL)

Show Me How: 500 Things You Should Know - Instructions for Life from the Everyday to the Exotic
by Derek Fagerstrom
Price: $20.97
98 used & new from $4.96

4.0 out of 5 stars So THAT'S how you drink from a boot..., November 15, 2008
Like many people of the so-called internet generation, I have a pretty short attention span. This is fine when I have hundreds of cable channels to choose from, and thousands of MP3s to shuffle through on my iPod. But it's really done a number on my ability to learn useful skills. That kind of thing usually requires putting in some serious time. But with this book, I can learn anything from how to install a dimmer switch to how to exfoliate properly, usually in just a few simple steps. Sure, a little more depth could be useful in some of these how-tos, and sometimes the instructions are a little obvious (if humorous), but overall the concept works pretty well. The awesome illustrations keep things from getting too dry; it's an attractive, entertaining package that makes you actually want to try to do some of this stuff. Especially "intrigue with a game of footsie." Now there's something I can commit to.

Stage Fright
Stage Fright
Price: $8.19
76 used & new from $2.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first two, but still phenomenal, November 5, 2002
This review is from: Stage Fright (Audio CD)
I couldn't give this album 5 stars because that would put it in the class of Big Pink and The Band...but in terms of its musical quality, it is still better than most. This album has often been put down by critics, but I think that's just because The Band had so much to live up to. This can by no means be called a slump...but just a move in a different direction. Stage Fright touches on some deep themes, such as betrayal (The Rumor), fear (Stage Fright), parenthood (All la glory)...but still leaves room for some fun (Time to Kill, Just Another Whistle Stop). it's another great Band album that doesn't dissappoint.

The Band
The Band
Price: $10.99
78 used & new from $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Blows me away every time, November 5, 2002
This review is from: The Band (Audio CD)
When my friends ask me why I bring up The Band so often, this is usually the album I'll put on. While Big Pink is at least as enjoyable and masterful, the 'brown album' is, in my opinion, the best introduction to The Band's sound. From the opening plea of "Across the Great Divide" to the final, electrifying solo of "King Harvest (Has Surely Come)", this might be the perfect album. It has beautiful ballads ("The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down", "Whispering Pines", "The Unfaithful Servant"), hard rockers ("Jemima Surrender", "King Harvest", "Look out Cleveland", "Up on Cripple Creek") and everything in between...my favorite song on the album changes from week to week...I mean, how do you choose among the spine-tingling solo in Unfaithful Servant, Levon's Southern drawl in Cripple Creek, and the down-home feeling of "Rockin' Chair"? You don't, you just listen to the whole album and be happy that you've discovered such a great band.

Music From Big Pink
Music From Big Pink
Price: $10.99
96 used & new from $4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Best band album?, November 5, 2002
This review is from: Music From Big Pink (Audio CD)
It's really tough to decide which album is best, this one or the self-titled follow-up. One of my favorite things to do is just sit back and listen to this album from start to finish, it calms me more than any anything could, and leaves me with a smile on my face every time. I can't help but think of Robbie, Richard, Levon, Garth, and Rick just making good music in the basement of big pink, jamming away and taking breaks to talk to the neighbors. I wasn't around at the time the album came out, so I can't vouch for its effect on rock, but I can definitely say that this album is nearly flawless. It has a feel unlike nearly any other album (even any other Band album), and makes me want to sing along and appreciate at the same time. It makes me nostalgic for times I never experienced. Highlights: In a Station (Richard's falsetto), Caledonia Mission, The Weight, We Can Talk, Chest Fever, etc, etc...the whole album is a masterpiece. The Band are the most underrated unit in history.

Do You Want More
Do You Want More
Price: $4.99
95 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars you are all about to witness some organic hip-hop jazz..., November 4, 2002
This review is from: Do You Want More (Audio CD)
This is definitely my favorite Roots album, and one of the few hip-hop albums I can listen to all the way through (Talib Kweli and DJ Hi-Tek qualify as well). The way it all flows together is so sweet, and Black Thought and Malik B's rapping bounces off the instruments so well. You've got hardcore rhyming, jazzy instrumentation, and mellow hip-hop all on one disc. All of the tracks are great in their own way, even the freestyles which I don't usually like so much, but the best are Distortion to Static, Mellow My Man, Proceed, You Ain't Fly....damn everything. Lazy afternoon is a really cool song too..

Fatboy
Fatboy
Price: $9.99
13 used & new from $3.33

4.0 out of 5 stars my favorite moe. album, November 4, 2002
This review is from: Fatboy (Audio CD)
Most people say that studio albums by jam bands really can't be good, and I'll agree that the best way to hear moe. is live (I've seen them twice, and they're phenomenal). But this album stands alone as a great piece of work. Even without really extended jams moe. puts together some tight songs that flow well...Time Ed, Timmy Tucker, Brent Black, and Recreational Chemistry are all favorites of mine...get this.