Profile for Carlo_D > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Carlo_D RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
In the Long Run: Reflections from the Road
In the Long Run: Reflections from the Road

5.0 out of 5 stars No need to run, February 11, 2015
I used to run. I think I'd like to run again. Neither of those things are vital to enjoying this book. It's filled with inspirational anecdotes about life, from overcoming the adversity of physical disability to simply not wanting to get out of bed in the morning and the things that can help motivate you. Jacqueline's breezy honesty makes the stories easy to read. This is a great book to keep around for when you need a little pick-me-up.

Late Bloomer
Late Bloomer
Price: $15.68
3 used & new from $15.68

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful surprise!, December 18, 2014
This review is from: Late Bloomer (Audio CD)
Her writing style is reminiscent of Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson (no surprise, then, that she's in Ingrid's band). The acoustic music and vocals are clean, catchy, easy on the ears and tug at your heart. Love love love the title track.

The Dog That Ate Paris
The Dog That Ate Paris

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dog That Ate My Heart, December 18, 2014
"I don't do dog." Those four words at the end of the first paragraph of this book tell you all you need to know about our hero, Plumley--more affectionately known as Plum--a French food critic who just happens to be a talking pug.

This fun, fast-paced young adult novel offers more than what you might expect from the title and cover, which, quite honestly, should be enough for any true foodie, pug fan or Francophile. Inside, you'll also find comedy aspects of Theatre of the Absurd and social commentary on the impossibility of privacy in the social media age. And, you know, a dog that speaks and who is turned off by other dogs. Talk about an existential crisis. Loved it. Hooked me from the first page and read it in one shot.

Stay With Me: A Brenna Spector Novel of Suspense
Stay With Me: A Brenna Spector Novel of Suspense
by Alison Gaylin
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $5.99
132 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars but I really enjoy this author's story-telling and writing style, July 29, 2014
There will be more Brenna Spector novels (Thank GOD!) in the future, but these first three act as a trilogy of sorts, with this third book wrapping up the mystery surrounding the decades-old disappearance of Brenna's sister that started in the debut novel and was intrinsically tied to the main cases in each of the books. You don't need to read the first two to get what's going on, but I would. In fact I would read the three consecutively as though it were one book in three parts, as the events that transpires across these books takes place within five or six months. And the ending of the third book will have you in your seat, nearly breathless--and then your jaw will drop. Overly hyped? Maybe, but I really enjoy this author's story-telling and writing style.

I Didn't Come Here to Make Friends: Confessions of a Reality Show Villain
I Didn't Come Here to Make Friends: Confessions of a Reality Show Villain
by Robertson, Courtney
Price: $15.58
110 used & new from $5.45

5.0 out of 5 stars I knew she was a terrific writer, but I didn't expect the subject to ..., July 29, 2014
Let me start off by being blunt: I'm not a huge fan of "The Bachelor/Bachelorette" TV series (though I admit to having watched a few episodes, particularly when I used to work for one of the celeb gossip mags). I only bought and read this because a friend/former co-worker coauthored the book with Courtney, and I wanted to be supportive. Cut to: I ended up really enjoying it. I mean, having worked with Deb (the co-author), I knew she was a terrific writer, but I didn't expect the subject to be so damn engaging. It's a fun, fast read that clued me into the real s*** that goes down behind the scenes on these reality shows and how good editing can create a hero or a villain. Courtney doesn't paint herself as a victim; rather, she admits to being a flawed person with emotions that sometimes make her do things she regrets. Don't be put off this book if you're not a "Bachelor" fan——or a fan of reality TV in general. You don't need to be. With so many people, particularly millennials, looking for their 15 minutes of fame via reality TV, all you need is a little curiosity about a genre that has become a cash-cow in the entertainment industry and is at the forefront of our news and overall culture. This book isn't some frivolous distraction; it's an insider's experience into a cultural trend that is shaping our society.

Better Than OK [EP]
Better Than OK [EP]
Price: $8.48
4 used & new from $4.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Not JUST Better Than OK!, April 14, 2014
This review is from: Better Than OK [EP] (Audio CD)
This pop-tastic album diverges from Jodelle's last outing. Where ADVENTURES may have seemed like the introverted younger sibling, BETTER THAN OK is the outspoken older sister. She takes no guff and takes no prisoners. Each song is more rollicking than the last, sporting catchy tunes in the spirit of Ingrid Michaelson and Sara Barreiles. Before I knew it, I found myself singing them on the treadmill at the gym. I highly recommend supporting this independent artist if for no other reason than we need to hear more music from her.

Paris Time (A Paris Time-Travel Novel)
Paris Time (A Paris Time-Travel Novel)

5.0 out of 5 stars You had me at time travel!, April 14, 2014
Like all of Gilles’ work, “Paris Time” is a tight, lean story that moves quickly and takes no prisoners – except for your attention. Like Dan Brown’s novels, you’re immediately pulled into the mystery when the book opens; the action races along with only brief pauses for you to catch your breath. The rich, diverse characters play well off each other, with occasional humor to offset the thrill. Add romance, international chase, time travel and murders, and you’ve got a fast read that you won’t want to put down until you’ve finished it.

Never Trust Ann Coulter: An Unauthorized, Autobiographical Parody
Never Trust Ann Coulter: An Unauthorized, Autobiographical Parody
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What's good for the goose..., December 29, 2013
This rip-roaring parody almost perfectly emulates the sensational, absurd caustic stances Ann Coulter takes on everything and turns it around on her personal life. Just like the outrageous claims she makes, particularly toward left-wing liberal politics, D.B. Gilles captures that voice and aims it at her life in this fictional autobiography. From selling her soul to the devil to torrid secret affairs with politicians, this parody pushes the envelope. And though this fast-paced farce may occasionally walk the edge of good taste for the tight-assed, it will end up leaving the sugary sweetness of laughter on your tongue. Fun, fun, fun.

Writers Rehab: A 12-Step Program for Writers Who Can't Get Their Acts Together
Writers Rehab: A 12-Step Program for Writers Who Can't Get Their Acts Together
by D. B. Gilles
Price: $12.95
56 used & new from $5.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Get your head back in the game, September 24, 2013
WRITERS REHAB isn't a how-to-write book; rather, it's a how-to-KEEP-writing book. This is the book that all writers--fiction, nonfiction, screenplay, stage play, newbie and bestselling author--should have on their shelf.

D.B. Gilles takes the 12 steps used in AA and puts a unique spin on them, creating useful tools for any blocked writer--and not just those who feel stifled creatively, but for those who have hit a brick wall. Or have lost their confidence. Or have been writing for so long without success that they are ready to throw in the towel. One of my favorite points Gilles makes is about how a writer may never know when something will sell, how a results-oriented attitude can be a writer's undoing. As he writes: "Delayed gratification should be your mantra." Tape that to your laptop!

WRITERS REHAB "is not about making it big as a writer... it's about finding out why you're not writing and getting you back on track." And that's just what Gilles helps you do. It's short, sweet and to the point. It gets to the heart of why writers might not be writing and nudges them back on the road to completion.

I Hate My Book Club
I Hate My Book Club
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Save your own book club!, August 6, 2012
This fun, fast-paced book is the perfect antidote for your book club's stale reading list. The well-developed characters in the Literary Circle of Lock Ness Lane book club butt heads with hilarious results. In fact, you'll probably recognize a friend--or enemy--in the bunch. And just like you did with your besties when "Sex and the City" aired each week, fighting over who in your group was a Carrie or Samantha, you'll be laughing about who in your book club is the hyper-controlling, hyper literate Valerie or the flighty Cinnamon, the love-obsessed Sage or the sneaky Cat. The pages flew by so quickly, I knocked this off in two sittings. Like I said, the perfect antidote to last month's book club pick of "War and Snoozefest" that you barely had time to slog halfway through. Don't be a hyper-literate Valerie. Give your book club a mental break with this riotous read.

Page: 1 | 2