Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Carlo_D > Reviews

Browse

Carlo_D's Profile

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Carlo_D RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
What Remains of Me: A Novel
What Remains of Me: A Novel
by Alison Gaylin
Price: $17.76
94 used & new from $1.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprises abound in this Hollywood murder mystery, April 27, 2016
Like Alison Gaylin's Brenna Spector series, I was not surprised to find solid writing and a story full of suspense in "What Remains of Me." She's a master at slowly unraveling the mysteries of a story. Though her Brenna Spector series moves at a somewhat faster pace than the first two acts of "Remains," the last act flies with lightning speed as we discover the truth behind each of the murders and suicide. And just when you think you've got it figured out, Gaylin surprises you with something that makes more sense and yet is even more shocking than what you imagined.

The End is Nigh (The Apocalypse Triptych) (Volume 1)
The End is Nigh (The Apocalypse Triptych) (Volume 1)
38 used & new from $2.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Get all three!, March 30, 2016
Many of the stories in the first volume were written by authors who also wrote stories for volumes 2 and 3, which continue their tales. So, I decided to wait until all three volumes were out before I cracked the first volume. Then, after I read each short story in the first book, I would turn to books 2 and 3 to read the companion stories by the same author. Doing this in the same reading session made for a meatier short story experience. I think I've also found a few new authors to try out. There are wonderful stories in this multi-volume collection; some of them were downright frightening. I highly recommend this triptych as mental preparation for the end of the world. (I'm kidding... kinda.)

The End is Now (The Apocalypse Triptych Book 2) (Volume 2)
The End is Now (The Apocalypse Triptych Book 2) (Volume 2)
28 used & new from $8.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Get all three!, March 30, 2016

The End Has Come (The Apocalypse Triptych) (Volume 3)
The End Has Come (The Apocalypse Triptych) (Volume 3)
27 used & new from $12.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Get all three!, March 30, 2016

For Love of Their Children (Because of Her Shadow Book 1)
For Love of Their Children (Because of Her Shadow Book 1)
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Middle Earth meets Westeros in this rich fantasy epic, March 28, 2016
In this fantasy novel where J.R.R. Tolkien meets George R.R. Martin, Dias has created a rich world teeming with love and violence, magic and realism, and various socio-political constructs. The characters--and there is an extensive lineup--were well-developed. I was on the fence about giving this book 4 or 5 stars. Though the prose could be tighter (I've read other of his works, and his writing is tighter there), and it takes a bit to wrap your head around the vast world Dias presents to us, I went with 5 stars because once you've got a foothold in this world, you don't want to leave. Just when I think I know where he's taking me, he veers off the path in another direction, leaving me pleasantly surprised at each turn. This is the first in a series; I'm hooked and waiting for the next one.

Circle of Betrayal (Close Enough To Kill Series Book 1)
Circle of Betrayal (Close Enough To Kill Series Book 1)
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Lobsession: it'll kill you!, November 25, 2015
This sexual thriller moved at a brisk pace. While it pulls the reader into the mind of a woman in an emotionally abusive relationship, we get to experience her descent into paranoiac reactions and self-doubt. As we watch her unravel, we begin to wonder if this kind woman could have been driven to commit murder, and if not, who it might have been. Obsessive love, once unleashed, is a powerful force that can quickly turn into something dangerous, something I like to call lobsession.

The characters are well-drawn, and you'll get a kick out of the victim's mother, a true piece of work. I'm not sure if I wanted to smack her or make her my bestie for life. I can't wait to see what the author has in store for us in the follow-up books.

Born To Be Liked: Living on Facebook
Born To Be Liked: Living on Facebook

4.0 out of 5 stars Give your ego an orgasm, August 28, 2015
A good read... and good for you! (Stop assessing your self-worth by the number of likes you get on your posts!) I saw a lot of people I know portrayed in this book—and maybe a little of myself. I wonder if the author knows my friends. One of my favorite lines: "We like talking about ourselves so much that, while doing it, our ego has an orgasm." One of the truest things someone has written about the Facebook crowd.

This book is a fun sociological study of Facebook and how it fits into today's world.

In the Long Run: Reflections from the Road
In the Long Run: Reflections from the Road
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars No need to run, February 11, 2015
I used to run. I think I'd like to run again. Neither of those things are vital to enjoying this book. It's filled with inspirational anecdotes about life, from overcoming the adversity of physical disability to simply not wanting to get out of bed in the morning and the things that can help motivate you. Jacqueline's breezy honesty makes the stories easy to read. This is a great book to keep around for when you need a little pick-me-up.

Late Bloomer
Late Bloomer
Price: $14.46
5 used & new from $8.30

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful surprise!, December 18, 2014
This review is from: Late Bloomer (Audio CD)
Her writing style is reminiscent of Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson (no surprise, then, that she's in Ingrid's band). The acoustic music and vocals are clean, catchy, easy on the ears and tug at your heart. Love love love the title track.

The Dog That Ate Paris
The Dog That Ate Paris
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dog That Ate My Heart, December 18, 2014
"I don't do dog." Those four words at the end of the first paragraph of this book tell you all you need to know about our hero, Plumley--more affectionately known as Plum--a French food critic who just happens to be a talking pug.

This fun, fast-paced young adult novel offers more than what you might expect from the title and cover, which, quite honestly, should be enough for any true foodie, pug fan or Francophile. Inside, you'll also find comedy aspects of Theatre of the Absurd and social commentary on the impossibility of privacy in the social media age. And, you know, a dog that speaks and who is turned off by other dogs. Talk about an existential crisis. Loved it. Hooked me from the first page and read it in one shot.

Page: 1 | 2