Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS
Profile for Captain Latte > Reviews

Browse

Captain Latte's Profile

Customer Reviews: 66

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Captain Latte RSS Feed (Seattle, WA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Microplane 38000 Professional Coarse Grater
Microplane 38000 Professional Coarse Grater
Offered by Chef Central
Price: $13.95
32 used & new from $13.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Horribly Toxic Adhesive Sticker on Grater, November 21, 2015
Unfortunately, I too had a very difficult time removing the sticker and adhesive from this grater. I spent close to half an hour and 5-6 applications of Goo Gone. In addition, I got a nice cut trying to remove this very toxic sticky adhesive. It is absolutely ludicrous that a company that makes kitchen products used to process foods would use such a really bad glue directly on the product. Sorry, there is no excuse for this major failure in packaging. I was looking forward to buying more of their graters but will go with another brand now.

OluKai Nohea Mesh - Men's Casual Shoes
OluKai Nohea Mesh - Men's Casual Shoes
Price: $59.45 - $116.94

1.0 out of 5 stars Toe Hole Deal Breaker, July 10, 2015
Like others have posted, these shoes are sized much too large so I had to size down to smaller size. But that is not my main gripe. I've had these shoes for about a month now which isn't a long time. So far, they've worked out quite well for casual hot days. Unfortunately when I went to put them on today, I noticed that there was a small hole in one where my big toe is. I assume most folks will wear these things without socks like me so it was shocking to see that the mesh material used didn't last longer than a month. The shoes I have are not tight either and have a loose fit (I went down 1/2 size). And I keep my toe nails trimmed. I'll be returning these and may exchange to see if the ones I had were just defective. But I would hope that Olukai considers more reinforced material in the toe-box area for future versions of this shoe as they are super comfy and I really do like wearing them.

Lizone® New Laptop Battery for Apple Macbook Air 11 A1406 A1370 A1406 A1495 (2011 2012 2013 2014 version) Macbook Air 11" 020-7376-A 020-7377-A MC968 MC965 MC506LL MC969LL - 18 Months Warranty
Offered by LizoneDirect
Price: $129.99
2 used & new from $55.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Replacement Battery, April 4, 2015
Well, my mid-2011 Macbook Air was down to it's last breath. I was barely getting 15mins on a charge. I really didn't want to spent close to $150 from Apple to replace the battery so decided to do it myself. The battery arrived in great condition --- it appears to be an Apple branded battery which has been refurbished I assume.

The installation process took about 20 minutes. There are about 16 screens on outside/inside that you need to remove to install the new battery. The battery comes with the 2 screwdrivers needed to do this. It was quite easy to do and while the company provided a link to an online video showing what to do, I installed the battery fine without viewing the video as it was quite simple. You will need to break-in the battery by letting it drain down to about 5% or less a few times, but otherwise there are no other requirements.

On a full charge, it typically shows a Time Remaining value of 4-5 hours, which is to be expected with these older MBAs. So far, the battery is working fine and happy with the purchase.

Aeron Task Chair by Herman Miller: Highly Adjustable w/Lumbar Support Pad - Fully Adj Vinyl Arms - Tilt Limiter - Size B - Standard Carpet Casters - Graphite Frame/Carbon Classic Pellicle
6 used & new from $529.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Deal for Aeron Chairs, April 4, 2015
I had been holding off for the annual Herman Miller sale to get a new Aeron chair for our recently remodeled home office. By chance, I noticed these guys offering the Aerons at a very good price. I was a bit hesitant ordering the chair from Madison as there were no reviews yet. But the price was just too good so took a chance (I bought the Aeron with lumbar support based on a friend's recommendation). I will say that my experience with them was top-notch. The chair was sent out immediately and arrived within a week. Everything arrived in perfect condition and was easy to setup. I won't go into the details of the chair as there are plenty of other reviews on Amazon that cover Aerons. Anyways, I'm very happy with the chair so far and would not hesitate to recommend these guys if you want a great price on an Aeron.

Juno Lighting T231WH Trac-Master Close-Up Line Voltage PAR30 Enclosed Lampholder, White
Price: $53.19
9 used & new from $19.00

2.0 out of 5 stars More Defective Units, February 28, 2015
Like one of the other reviewer here, I've ordered 6 of these Juno fixtures and have now had to return 2 of them for being defective right out-of-the box. Do they not even test them before shipping out? Such as pain for what is supposed to be a quality product.

Innovative Night Light With Temperature Changing LED - Perfect Baby NightLight & for Adults

2.0 out of 5 stars Pricey Inaccurate Product, December 28, 2014
I was originally attracted to this product after our daughter's older nightlight went out during a power outage and she freaked out. So I thought it would be good to try out a battery powered one. From the positive reviews, it sounded like just the right product.

After having used it for a little while now, I'm not sure if I am going to keep it. For $40, it sure is a lot of money for what it does -- not much. First off, the thermometer is for the most part useless. As some other reviewers have reported, it is not very accurate and often mysteriously switches temperatures without any reason. My unit is off between 3.5 - 4.0 degrees consistently (I have some very accurate thermometers I used to compare this one against). When it randomly switches, it is often a 2 degree differential. And I was quite surprised that there wasn't even a simple clock included on the display. That would have been a very useful feature to have.

So it comes back to the $40 and whether this thing is a good value. Certainly, the portability and color-changing features are nice, but after all this is just a nightlight and only marketed as such. I guess the one thing I've learned reading reviews on Amazon about baby products is that when it comes to money, moms (and dads) have no problem justifying the price of something for their little ones regardless of whether it is a good value or not, especially if there is some perceived benefit.

Powerbeats 2 Wireless In-Ear Headphone - Black
Powerbeats 2 Wireless In-Ear Headphone - Black
Price: $144.94
108 used & new from $107.62

1.0 out of 5 stars Save Your Money and Get a Wireless Bluetooth Receiver Instead!, November 21, 2014
During the past few months I had a chance to try both these Powerbeats2 as well as the Jaybird Bluebuds X. I figured with the Apple Watch coming out soon, it would be nice to go wireless for my workouts. I first spent a month trying out the Jaybird Bluebuds X while working out at the gym and running on trails. The Bluebuds are really nice, light, sound great and have very good battery life. Unfortunately, they either fit well or don't fit at all in one's ears. I tried lots of options including the Comply T500 tips which improved things, but the motion from running would easily dislodge them after a few minutes. The Jaybird tech support folks were great and gave me some other options to try, but ultimately I was just too frustrated fussing with them every few minutes so returned them to Amazon.

I next tried these Powerbeats2. While I wasn't too excited paying another $70 for them (they're not discount from Amazon like the Jaybirds), they do have the ear clips to help hold them on. The Powerbeats2 sounds pretty nice as well although every time you turn them on, you have to reset the volume as it always comes on at a very low volume. The Powerbeats2 fit a little better although it is worth using the Comply T500s as well with these. But unfortunately, the ear clips don't really do much nor hold the earphones that well in my ears. They are supposedly flexible which I think is the reason they don't work too well. Mine kept popping out and would just hang off the ear after a minute or two of running. I tried bending the ear clips every which way but not much luck. As with the Jaybirds, I returned these suckers too.

I should mention that I have some Custom Ultimate Ears ear monitors (the ones you get a custom mold for) which sound better than any wireless earphones on the market. So I was thinking that maybe the best solution is not trying to get new wireless earphones, but rather just find an adapter I can connect my wired ones too. Sure enough, I found that with the tiny Mpow Streambot Mini Wireless Bluetooth receiver. This thing is great as it allow you to use the headphones of your choice. It runs the latest Bluetooth 4.0 and has over 10 hours battery life. Now, I just connect my Ultimate Ears to it (tuck it and cord in my pocket), pair with my iPod or iPhone and off I go. And you can't beat the price here on Amazon (~$20).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2014 11:34 AM PST

Zen Night - Fall Asleep Fast, Stay Asleep All Night & Wake Up Refreshed & Energized
Offered by Zen Life Supplements
Price: $37.50
2 used & new from $37.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, September 27, 2014
This stuff is a waste of money. The fact that it is 4am while I'm writing this should tell you how well it works. It does seem to mellow you out a bit which is good.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Super Razor, Super Company, April 4, 2014
First off, let's clear up some misinformation from one of the other reviews. Harry's razors are not 4 blades, but actually 5 blades like the popular Gillette Fusion ones. And they are actually quite sharp and don't dull after a few shaves. Certainly, one should always wipe and dry their blades after each use. In fact, you should rinse them in cold water too to preserve the life.

The reason folks sometimes have nicks and cuts at first is that the spacing on these blades is much closer together than those of the blades they were previously using (Gillette, Schick). And one's skin is just not used to this type of blade. However, after a few shaves with Harry's Razor, the skin adjusts to this type of blade and the small nicks and pain will go away.

I've used all the popular razors over the past few years (e.g., Gillette Fusion, Schick Hydro) and for about a month Harry's. Here is my take on comparing these 3. Overall, I consider the Schick Hydro as easily the best quality shave available today. The blades are super shape yet comfortable and they last a long time. I would place Harry's a close second. While it took about a week to get used to the blades, I still like the quality of the Schick shave a bit more. However, Harry's does have much better pricing per blade ( ~$2 per). And I'm still on the original blade after over a month's use. I have to give the Gillette Fusion blades last place. They are extremely overpriced (~$4 per) and do not come near to the quality of shave you get with the other two. In addition, the sharpness of the blades are not consistent, especially if you get the value pack from Costco where at least one per each mini pack is dull right out of the package. Fortunately, they're better than those crappy old Mach 3s, but you can't go wrong with the Schick Hydro or Harry's.

One of the minor drawbacks with Harry's blades is that they don't come off as easily as the others where the razors have a nice push button release. With Harry's razor you need to yank it off which I suppose could possibly cut you if not careful. The razor is significantly higher quality than the cheaper plastic ones you get with Schick and Gillette, but I don't think that matters with most folks. They just want a nice clean consistent shave at reasonable price.

As for the shaving cream, I'm not a big fan of the tube style stuff, but Harry's cream does have a good amount of lubricant which you'll want those first few times as your beard gets used to the razors. I prefer Edge gel myself and found it works well with Harry's after the break-in period. However, the best way is when you combine some Edge gel and Harry's cream - awesome combination.

Lastly, another reason I like Harry's is because it is a small socially responsible US company that gives back. Overall, a decent razor at an excellent price (especially if you buy direct from the company).

Brunton Wow Magnetic Foot Lantern, Flashlight, and Tripod
Brunton Wow Magnetic Foot Lantern, Flashlight, and Tripod

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Solid Compact Camping Lantern, January 12, 2014
I picked up this lantern primarily for car camping and really like it so far. We had 2 Black Diamond types that we enjoyed using, but unfortunately both gave out this past year. And neither of them were that old. So if this lantern is anything like the Brunton binoculars I own, then I know the quality will be solid to last a long time.

So the lantern is not very big so it could easily be used for backpacking as it gives off a nice light in a 2-4 person tent. We like to hang it in our tent using the flexible legs, which are similar to the gumby like ones you see in the Joby tripods. The legs are actually part of the flashlight with the plastic screen used to diffuse the light or just store away the legs when not used or used as a simple flashlight.

Another nice feature is that it has a long-lasting rechargeable battery which you recharge using a standard micro-usb adapter. If you're car camping, you can easily get an adapter for car lighter to charge. You can dim the light by simply holding the blue button down. The legs are magnetic although I haven't found a particular use for this yet. Overall, a really nice mini lantern that I hope to have for many years.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7