Profile for Quentin Deverill > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 61

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Quentin Deverill "QED" RSS Feed (Philadelphia, PA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Minisuit Rugged Hybrid Kickstand Case for Amazon Fire Phone
Minisuit Rugged Hybrid Kickstand Case for Amazon Fire Phone
Offered by MiniSuit
Price: $4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality Case for the Fire Phone, December 23, 2014
I'm very happy with this case. It looks and feels like a quality item when installed on the phone. I felt it would be good with the MiniSuit brand name: I have a MiniSuit pleather tablet case for my Asus tablet and that is a nice case too.

I was worried this might be too bulky but it seems just right in practical use. Thick and securely tight enough when installed to afford great back and side protection. The front lifts the screen by 2 mm so you can place it on a flat surface without worrying about the phone resting directly on the screen. Case has a nice solid feel with a non-slippery rubberized quality. I like that it has a masculine look, almost like a hand grenade. The grenade bumps, along with the non-slippery surface give you a confident grip on the phone. I'm not one to shoulder cradle a cell phone to go hands free but with the grenade bumps and surface texture one could probably get away with it using this case. The stand that flips out of the back of the case is a nice touch too if your into watching videos on your phone.

There's no front screen protection other than the 2 mm raised lip so you'll need a screen protector film if you feel the Gorilla Glass 3 of the Fire phone isn't enough.

My only very minor complaint is that when using the flip out stand the bottom of the screen is also where the volume buttons are: it would have been nice to have it so the volume buttons were on top when using the stand.

_hello world
_hello world
Price: $10.00
38 used & new from $5.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic InSoc Today, September 23, 2014
This review is from: _hello world (Audio CD)
I don't know how they did it but this album sounds fresh and new and yet still retains all the elements of classic InSoc. Surely they must have dusted off an album they never released 20 years ago? InSoc have to be the Dorian Gray of music. All joking aside, this album is an amazing achievement. It does not for a single moment sound like so many other band reunion efforts you hear...you know what I'm talking about, a band trying to reclaim their sound...almost doing it but you still feel there's something missing. Not with _hello world. From the opening club anthem Land of the Blind through Jonestown to Get Back to Where Were You (love that opening vocal sample...can't place it but it has to be from a 1940's film noir) to Above And Below to ....well, you get the idea...this is a GREAT, triumphant album. I'd say a triumphant return, but this isn't a 'return'...it is more of a continuation after Peace and Love, Inc. Kurt's vocals are still full of youthful wonder and excitement. You simply have to listen to this album then pinch yourself to realize it is 2014 and not 1992.

UPDATE 11/1/14 - after over a month of listening and still not tired of this new InSoc album. Favorite tracks: Land of the Blind, Jonestown, Creatures of Light and Darkness, Above and Below, Get Back, The Prize, Beautiful World and Where Were You. Even my lesser faves (Tomorrow the World, Let It Burn, Dancing With Strangers) are great tracks by any measure but I do skip them sometimes. Wish I could figure out the mystery of the hidden track #12.

The production values on this extremely polished collection of tunes is extraordinary --you realize and appreciate this more and more after repeat play. This is great stuff. Get this album. You won't regret it. It has sparked my interest in new music, particularly EDM. I can see InSoc led the way in this format and they still have new tricks up their sleeves. Hope they keep going.

Pilot [HD]
Pilot [HD]
DVD
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! This Show Was A Great Unexpected Gem and Pleasure., September 14, 2014
Great show. Realistic view of late teen/early 20's life in the mid-80s. It treats the characters like real people (unlike The Goldbergs which I gave up on after two episodes). While realistic it was still funny and touching. Reminded me of Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Caddyshack and various John Hughes' movies of the 80s. BTW, the music was great too. Hope they pick it up for a full season.

Secura 6-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker Lid
Secura 6-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker Lid
Offered by Lafraise
Price: $15.00

4.0 out of 5 stars You Get Exactly What You See, August 6, 2014
I took a chance and ordered this for another brand electric pressure cooker. Secura advertises that their stainless steel insert and non-stick insert fit in several other brand models so I figured this would probably fit my Cuisinart CPC-600 (one of the models their inserts work with). I also got the Secura stainless steel insert and can confirm the Secura lid + SS insert are a good combo for the Cuisinart! Comes to pressure faster too. I attribute the faster pressure attaining to a new silicone seal (included with this Secura lid) and that the float seal rises and seals just about as soon as pressure/steam is being released. I used to have to tap my old lid to get the float seal to rise...it was always sticking. Pressure maintained quietly for 30 minutes with almost no loss of liquid.

Now for the cons:

1) You do get a lid and all that you see in the photo; however, as you'll notice in the item description there is no photo of the top of the lid. What's missing from this product is the weighted pressure release valve which is used on top of the lid. I understand that part is sold separately, but so is the silicone seal and that IS included. As the lid is useless without the weighted release valve I assumed it would be included. That said, my Cuisinart's weighted release valve worked just fine so I can still use the lid and do like how it performs. Just be aware you will need the weighted valve to use this lid so if you don't have one you will have to purchase separately.

2) The lid is different than the Cuisinart in that you do not use the inside the lid aluminum ring to install the silicone seal onto. The seal is inserted around the inside of the lid as shown in the product photo. This may be a negative to some folks as that aluminum ring was a good barrier to keeping the underside of the lid from getting dirty with bits of food. It is also easier to remove/install the silicone seal using the aluminum ring on the OEM Cuisinart lid.

All in all I'm happy with my purchase and can finally retire my old green around the edges with mold lid.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2014 11:29 PM PDT

4 Film Favorites: Will Ferrell (BD)(4FF) [Blu-ray]
4 Film Favorites: Will Ferrell (BD)(4FF) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Will Ferrell
Price: $14.96
35 used & new from $7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Deal, May 29, 2014
I'm giving this 5 stars for the sheer value of the deal. The 4 films are the original, single disc release versions so you're getting 4 individual blu-ray discs (albeit, stacked 2 on each side of a single blu-ray snap case). The product description is sort of thin on details so I took a chance and ordered hoping The Campaign would be the extended cut version blu-ray and was happily rewarded when my hopes were realized upon delivery. I think The Campaign is an underrated Ferrell gem and love it more with each viewing....it easily competes with Anchorman and Talladega Nights as my favorite Ferrell films. Old school is also one his better efforts. Blades of Glory and Semi-Pro round out the set and are somewhat lesser Ferrell efforts (with Semi-Pro being my least favorite of the bunch) but still funny for dedicated Ferrell fans.

1000ct Cotton Swabs Bag
1000ct Cotton Swabs Bag
Offered by Gifts 'n More
Price: $5.17
7 used & new from $0.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Generic Cotton Swabs, May 5, 2014
This review is from: 1000ct Cotton Swabs Bag (Misc.)
At under $5 for a 1000 swabs this deal can't be beat. I'd consider these to be the same quality as generic store brand swabs (i.e. 'Equate' at Walmart) which I still had a few of on hand to compare.

Are there duds in the bag? Yes, but the percentage of duds is small...maybe 2% or 3% with cotton on only one tip. Maybe another 1% total duds with no cotton on either tip...just a stick. Pure guestimate on the dud percentage but it isn't high.

The bag isn't a storage bag so once you open I suggest using a gallon zip lock bag for storage (don't want spiders or bugs nesting in the bag). I expect this bag to last me a couple years (I live alone).

I did lower review to 4 stars for the dud factor.

Secura 6-quart Pressure Cooker 18/10 Stainless Steel Cooking Pot
Secura 6-quart Pressure Cooker 18/10 Stainless Steel Cooking Pot
Offered by Lafraise
Price: $29.99
2 used & new from $23.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay Accessory for Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker, May 5, 2014
Own a Cuisinart electric pressure cooker (CPC-600 or CPC-1200)? Thinking of getting an Instant Pot for the stainless steel cooking pot? Get this SS insert pot instead and save yourself $100+ bucks.

Great heavyweight SS pot with cladding on bottom to ensure even heating. Has both cup measurements and fractions (i.e. 2/5 full, 3/5 full) of how full pot is markings stamped into the metal readable on the inside wall of the pot. It seems of such good quality and build and the bottom cladding makes one believe it could be used as a stovetop pot also (I wouldn't do that for fear of ruining the finish or warping)....I don't recommend that you do so but it looks and feels like you could.

Performs as you would expect stainless steel to work.

Huge value at $30.

UPDATE 10/16/14 - Had a disaster with this pot. I was making my usual fall/winter stew and my Cuisinart shut off just after coming to pressure. I released the pressure and checked my uncooked stew and found the barley had sunk to the bottom and burned/scorched and was stuck to the bottom. Gave up on the stainless insert and transferred to the unit's old non-stick insert to finish cooking. After researching, I believe the Cuisinart shut off after sensing the overheating of the bottom of the cooking insert. Not sure how to rate the Stainless insert now. I feel the non-stick insert has its merits as I've not had anything ever burn on the bottom using the non-stick insert. Lowered my rating to 3 stars for this stainless steel insert.

Opus Tester Analyzer Battery Charger, 12V, Black
Opus Tester Analyzer Battery Charger, 12V, Black
Offered by DC Workshop - DataLucis LLC
Price: $39.95
9 used & new from $28.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Epic Fail After Just Two Weeks, April 24, 2014
Unit worked for two weeks then just up and died. By died I mean totally dead. No display. Nothing. Unplugging and then plugging back in resulted in...nothing.

I had planned on using it to refresh older NiMH and NiCD batteries I own but it didn't seem to actually result in more mah gain in any of my older batteries. I'm not surprised it failed as it was so lightweight it screamed cheap/shoddy construction. I can't say there was any benefit to this unit while it worked other than I did like that it charges single battery rather than in tandem.

Returned dead/defective unit for refund.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2015 8:29 AM PDT

Dash Chef Series Digital Blender- Black
Dash Chef Series Digital Blender- Black
Offered by KITCHEN COUTURE
Price: $229.95
4 used & new from $217.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Dollar to Performance Value, April 21, 2014
I snagged one of these at my local Sam's Club 3 months ago for $130. I already owned a Ninja Kitchen System 1100 and was using that to make so-called smoothies. I was never quite satisfied with the Ninja as it didn't produce fully smooth smoothies...strawberry seeds, bits of pulp, ice crystals, etc.... I saw the Dash demoed on HSN and it seemed to perform like a Vitamix or Blendtec so when I saw it even less in price at Sams I took a chance and purchased. I'm glad I did. I now make ultra smooth smoothies...no bits and pieces of food survive the Dash's blades. No more strawberry seeds. No apple seeds. No nothing.

Clean up is a breeze. Just fill 2/3 with hot water, add a couple drops of dishwashing liquid and use the rinse cycle. When finished rinse and dry. I store the base on the counter and the pitcher upside down in the cupboard above. Storing upside down allows the blades to fully dry and no water settle in the bottom of the pitcher.

The lid can be a bit hard to remove but I found the secret to easy removal. Simply wet the outer rubber lip of the lid under running tap water before placing on the pitcher. Lid goes on easier and removal is a snap. I also pry the lid off placing my thumb on top of the pour spout and my fingers of the same hand on the underside of the lid where it overhangs the top edge of the pitcher...I then push down on the pour spout using my thumb whilst lifting up with my fingers under the lid. Lid comes easily off.

The Dash is a clear winner. You get all the performance of a $500 blender at a fraction of the cost.

Mitsubishi X105BT 3D Bluetooth Glass 642 and 842 Series
Mitsubishi X105BT 3D Bluetooth Glass 642 and 842 Series
Offered by Walt's TV
Price: $19.99
6 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Work Great On My Panasonic UT50, February 22, 2014
These are the 3rd brand of 3D glasses I've purchased and I'd rank them the best. Watched Gravity 3D and the 3D effect is awe inspiring. From the light on dark images present in Gravity I was worried about ghosting/crosstalk of left/right images but these glasses handle it excellently. Star fields of the blackness of space in the scene where Sandra Bullock gets thrown into space have depth. The action scenes exhibit no blur. Two minor complaints about the glasses: 1) how they grip my head behind the ears...just a tad bit tight. and, 2) they don't come with a case... I'm storing them in the bubble wrap bag they came in the box with.

They fit great over my eyeglasses during use. The battery charge was quick and life, so far, seems excellent. After 3 movies the charge bar on my Panasonic TV is reading these at a full charge.

Regarding the other two brands I purchased (ValueView and G05-BT 3D) the ValueView's are almost the equal of the Mitsubishi's but lack side light blocks. The G05-BT's I consider worthless due to the amount of ghosting/crosstalk they allow. The G05-BT's are sold under several different brands so be careful when purchasing. Just google G05-BT 3D or even search for them here on Amazon and you'll find the one's I'm referring to.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7