Profile for Jeffry > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jeffry RSS Feed

Olympus TG-1iHS 12 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom
Olympus TG-1iHS 12 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom
Offered by RitzCamera
Price: $299.00
9 used & new from $229.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Tried really hard for three weeks to like this camera, October 6, 2012
I bought this camera because I was looking for a waterproof (not necessarily underwater) rugged point and shoot that took better pictures than a cellphone and would be useful as a general purpose camera as well as a camera that would stand up to the elements while kayaking. I specifically wanted a camera with a GPS to replace my existing Panasonic TS-2 because its lack of a GPS plus a clock with a lot of drift meant I was spending too much time in post-production geotagging photos. I narrowed it down to the TG-1 and TS-4 and decided to try the TG-1 because of:

1) Generally positive reviews
2) F2.0 lens
3) Nostalgia for my first real camera (an Olympus OM-1)

I knew that the TG-1 came with no external charger but figured I would address that issue by ordering an accessory kit that came with a charger, spare battery and case. The battery didn't seat properly in the charger so it failed to charge and the camera barely fit in the case. One star for the accessory kit and minus half a star for the TG-1 guilt by association/manufacturer's decision to skip the charger in the first place.

In terms of ergonomics, the TG-1 has the lens in the center, the shutter on top and the zoom on the back. I could never get the hang of operating the zoom with my thumb while holding the camera one handed. By contrast, the TS-2 has the lens offset to one side and the shutter and zoom on the top. This made it relatively easy to operate both the shutter and zoom while holding the camera in one hand, a huge advantage while kayaking. With the TS-3/4, Panasonic also moved the zoom controls to the back while leaving the lens offset to one side. The TG-1 arrangement is probably better if you are left handed or prefer to shoot while holding the camera with two hands but for me, it was another minus half a star. It is also larger/less pocketable than the TS-x, not really a factor in my evaluation.

In its favor, the TG-1 did take better sharper pictures that my TS-2 and presumably the TS-4. I was also very satisfied with the video performance in ambient light and did not notice the clicking and noise that some other reviewers have mentioned. The TG-1 never leaked in the three weeks I had it. As I mentioned, I did not purchase it as an underwater camera so its underwater time was limited to:

1) A couple of occasions where I accidentally knocked it off the deck. The tether limited it to a depth of maybe a foot or two for a few seconds.
2) A ten minute bath in lukewarm water after each adventure to rinse the salt off

With both the TS-2 and TG-1 I have been meticulous in keeping the seals clean and free of debris through liberal use of a Glottos Rocket-air blower and brush. The TS-2 hasn't leaked in the two years I've had it, either. The TG-1 also survived an unexpected 2 foot drop onto pavement with no ill effects.

On today's kayak trip, the TG-1 froze towards the end of the trip. The LCD still displayed a picture but the camera would not respond to any controls. After a few minutes, the picture on the LCD was replaced with an Olympus logo that remained there until got out off the water and power cycled the camera by popping the battery out and back in again. As expected, this cleared the problem but it was not a maneuver I was willing to make out on the water. Minus two stars for this episode. I read on [...] that a firmware patch is available that supposedly addresses the stability issue while GPS is enabled.

I've only got a few more days before the end of the 30 day Amazon return policy, not enough time to be fussing around with software updates. For me, a camera that takes marginally worse pictures is better than a non-functional camera. In the end, the TG-1 gets two stars and returned as defective, going to try my luck with the TS-4 instead.

Must Have Accessory Kit For Olympus TOUGH TG-1 iHS, TG-1iHS, TG-2 iHS, TG-2iHS, TG-3 Waterproof Digital Camera Includes Extended Replacement (1500Mah) LI-90B, LI-92B Battery + Ac/Dc Charger + MiCRO HDMI Cable + USB Card Reader + Case + FLOAT STRAP + More
Offered by Amazing Deals Online
Price: $26.95
2 used & new from $25.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, September 28, 2012
1) The battery does not fit in the charger correctly so it does not charge
2) The camera barely fits in the case

Save your money and buy something else.