Profile for R > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Native American Flute Lullabies
Native American Flute Lullabies
Price: $5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars It's decent flute music- and its FREE!, July 18, 2012
Not much to say here outside the fact that it is free Native American flute music.

Some tracks are obviously better than others, but as a free download, I have no complaints.

Halo Wars - Xbox 360 (Platinum Hits)
Halo Wars - Xbox 360 (Platinum Hits)
Offered by Doremi Music USA
Price: $19.94
84 used & new from $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite Starcraft, but the closest you'll find on consoles!, November 25, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
First and foremost, Halo Wars is an RTS (real time strategy) game, not a shooter like every other Halo game. Don't show up expecting a shooter type experience.

Also, if you play RTS games like Starcraft on the PC, be aware that Halo Wars feels a bit simplified compared to PC entries like Company of Heroes or Starcraft, both in control and depth/specificity of units. This isn't necesarily a bad thing since the 360 controller isn't quite as flexible as a keyboard or as precise as a mouse during play. This simplicity also comes with the benefit of being easier to approach/learn than the more unforgiving/"hardcore" RTS games found on the PC.

In all, Halo Wars is a good RTS game. Much smoother on console than you might expect, if a little simplistic compared to PC counterparts.

In my case, I enjoyed a more basic approach to this RTS since I'm a bit sick of all the shooters (to say nothing about having an ancient PC barely able to run the original Starcraft; forget anything as recent as Starcraft 2 or even Company of Heroes!) and was looking for a change of pace in my gaming. At a budget price, Halo Wars is a good call.

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Offered by YOYO GOGO GADGETS
Price: $30.91
50 used & new from $2.44

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustratingly buggy!, October 3, 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game because I was getting sick of the COD "run around like a headless chicken shoot, die, repeat repeat, repeat formula" and was looking for a more tactical shooter.

OF:DR nearly might have fit the bill, but muddy graphics (which can make spotting bad guys an absolute mess) and game breaking bugs (graphical oddities, an AI that ignores all squad orders and enemies act erratic at close range) break the experience. Issuing commands to your squad is a cumbersome, awkward affair (its clear to me that "sims" like this are best left for a PC with a keyboard and mouse) and are often completely ignored by your AI squadmates.

I'd suggest this game might be better played with real people as your allies in online co-op, but online (at least on the 360) is all but dead. I've seen one person online. And that was just once. Even that tag is gone now.

The game could have been a nice break from mindless FPS games like COD, but the bugs that plague this game wreck that plan pretty fast. At least it was pretty cheap...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2011 10:29 PM PST

RK Racing Chain 4067-949S Steel Rear Sprocket and 520XSO Chain 520 Steel Conversion Kit
Price: $131.89
7 used & new from $128.42

3.0 out of 5 stars Lighter chain than stock (520); alters stock gearing (1 down on the front), August 28, 2011
First off, I had no trouble fitting this on a 2003 Yamaha YZF600r (not the R6!), so there should be no issues with any YZF600r (or Thundercat outside the US) from 1997-2007 since the model was unchanged during those years.

This kit works, but its worth noting that this is not a stock replacement set of chains and sprockets. The chain is a 520 (stock is 530) and the front sprocket is a 14 tooth (stock is 15).

What does this mean? The 520 chain is lighter (therefore, ostensibly weaker) than stock, while the changes to the gearing will make the bike feel like it accerlerates faster at the expense of fuel mileage(since the engine will be reving higher at lower speeds thanks to the gearing change by having a smaller front sprocket) and potential top speed (which no one will ever legally need on public highways).

In practice and on the road, the gearing changes are subtle, yet noticeable. While the bike feels slightly "peppier" at town speeds, the increased engine revs at highway speeds are noticeable, and the attendant increase in vibration as a result is noticeable, as well as the loss of fuel efficiency that accompanies higher engine RPMs.

Bottom line, I purchased this chain and sprocket kit because it was significantly cheaper than the stock replacements, and at my old chain had been developing tight spots that made it sound like a choo-choo train. Not sure I'm happy with the gearing changes or the lighter chain, but if someone doesn't mind the inherent sacrifices to longevity and fuel mileage for a bit of a low end boost, this chain is a cheap alternative to stock chain/ sprocket replacements.

Intec G5240 Universal Power Cable (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Intec G5240 Universal Power Cable (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by widgetree
Price: $3.74
21 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine on my PS2, August 19, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this to replace a broken PS2 power cord. It works fine and their really isn't much more to say than I haven't thought about (or had any problems) with this product after I'd bought it.

Zippo All In One Kit (Lighter/Fluid/Flints)
Zippo All In One Kit (Lighter/Fluid/Flints)
Offered by Stealth Rabbit
Price: $14.60
11 used & new from $10.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, great value!, August 19, 2011
I bought this set primarily to replace a lousy chinese knock-off lighter I'd been using to polish my boots (you know- clean/brush boots, slather on polish and melt it in before adding the elbow grease), and I can say the difference is shocking.

This is a well made lighter, better than any knock off, and the fact that I bought a set complete with fluid and fuel for less than an actual Zippo (and almost as cheap as a junk knock off!) at retail through Amazon made the purchase a no-brainer.

The lighter included is the Zippo street chrome. A few reviewers complain about it looking scratched, and to be fair, it does have some surface scratching (brushed metal would be the best description). But does it really matter? It didn't to me; the Zippo still is a pretty piece, and the "scratches" described do little (if anything) to detract from the lighter's appearance.

One last point to note; Zippo doesn't claim that this lighter is windproof. However, this lighter nearly windproof anyway, and will light in some pretty windy places without even putting a hand up to guard the flame (you know, like you have to with a cheap Bic everytime in almost completely still air?).

All in all, very happy with my Zippo and the value of the all in one kit. If you're in the market for a great (iconic) lighter at a good value, you can't go wrong here.

Logitech S220 2.1 Speaker System with Subwoofer
Logitech S220 2.1 Speaker System with Subwoofer
3 used & new from $15.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Middling sound quality, terrible design/build., July 27, 2011
I bought these speakers for use on a small TV and because they were cheap. Big mistake.

First things first, the power cord is almost comically short (I don't think it is even a full foot long!), making hooking these speakers up into any entertainment cabinet an excerise in frustration while playing with wires and power strips. I actually ended using an extension cord to get these to fit alongside my TV.

Second, be aware that these speakers are small. Really small. There are measurements given in the product description, but they seem almost misleading (or "optimistic," at the very least). The actual speakers stand about five and half inches high and about an inch and a half wide- not exactly intimidating or inspiring for impressive sound right?

Suprisingly, the sound for the first few hours isn't that horrible considering the size of the speakers. These will not impress anyone, but compared to the standard speakers in most HDTVs, they aren't too bad- BUT only if you can play with your sound equalization. The included subwoofer is decent (a bit overbearing at highest setting), but the speakers themselves are lacking in midrange and high sounds. It makes voices/music washout while the low end muddles up all sound. After a few hours of playing with my sound settings, I was able to hear people speak on screen over the low end background noises. However, I never quite got the punch I wanted from the top range of the speakers (the sound of gunfire on screen always sounded muted and unimpressive).

Terrible ergonomics (short cords and weird dial for volume control) and generally anemic performance were a bit of a downer for me, but since they were cheap (and I'd spent about two hours adjusting my TV's sound equalization) I figured I'd try and soldier on with these speakers. But during the first actual playthrough of a movie, the subwoofer, which to my mind was the only decently performing piece, began to crackle and pop loudly and at random times. It sounded as loud as someone moving furniture. The speakers are currently packed and ready for drop off at the nearest UPS station. My speakers were clearly defective, but I'm not going to chance another lousy set and neither should any potential consumers.

Kudos to Amazon for their return policy (not making me pay for shipping it back); they're keeping my business.

I don't want to end this review with the trite "You get what you pay for" saw, but these speakers are cheap in every sense of the word. Cheap in price, cheap in sound quality, cheap in design, and cheap in construction. I would recommend avoiding these junky speakers.

Shenmue
Shenmue
Offered by dr_orangejuicer
Price: $99.95
36 used & new from $26.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahead of its time..., July 27, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Shenmue (Video Game)
Put simply, Shenmue was the main reason I picked a Dreamcast at all.

The notion of a truly open world game (albeit a relatively small one) was so far ahead of its time when Shenmue released it is almost tragic. Far worse is the fact that there is no Shenmue 3 yet.

Shenmue, at its core is third person exploration game with action/RPG/fighting/QTE(Quick Time Events)elements. This style of play is still copied today in games like Indigo Prophecy (Farenheit oustide the US) and Heavy Rain. The main difference is Shenmue beat Heavy Rain out by a decade and included actual fighting (based off the Virtua Fighter engine)!

Full of beautiful music and an engrossing story, Shenmue still looks grapically decent today in 2011. It is the prime candidate for these HD re-releases so popular in this console cycle (and its a wonder it still hasn't been made for download in XBL/PSN).

If you own a Dreamcast, Shenmue would be an oustanding and must have addition to your library.

Tritton TRIAX-180 AX 180 Stereo Gaming Headset for Xbox 360 and Playtation 3
Tritton TRIAX-180 AX 180 Stereo Gaming Headset for Xbox 360 and Playtation 3
7 used & new from $34.04

2.0 out of 5 stars Good sound- awful/cheap construction!, July 18, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
When they did work, my Ax-180 headset performed as advertised and worked on my PS3 and 360 and PC. The sound quality is decent unless you feel the need to deafen yourself with the highest settings, at which point the bass and mid range get a bit distorted. There is a hiss on these as well, sometimes requiring a bit of fiddling voice and game volumes to find a "sweet spot" to minimize the hiss. On that note, the independent voice and game volume is nice if you want to use the headset online but ignore the chatter on XBL/PSN.

I've had my Ax-180 for a little over a year; about three months of which they didn't work because the cheap plastic that keeps the earphones over your ears broke. Because the construction is so shoddy, I can't recommend a purchase at this price, even though the performance of the headset is entirely adequate.

I'll be trying to contact Triton (apparently part of Mad Catz) support to try and get a replacement...

Mass Effect 2 Platinum Hits
Mass Effect 2 Platinum Hits
Offered by NYC Electronics
Price: $12.68
258 used & new from $1.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantstic Game!, June 6, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Not much more can be said about Mass Effect than what has already been posted.

Mass Effect was the reason I picked up a 360 in addition to the PS3 I already own, so buying the sequel was a no brainer for me.

Despite losing some of the more traditional RPG elements of Mass Effect (like inventory management) and feeling more like an "action" title as opposed to an RPG, I was a bit disappointed at the two DVD set up.

While I'm happy that ME2 was apparently large enough to rrequire more than a single disc, I was less thrilled at having to change discs more than once in a playthrough (the first disc essentially contained both the beginning and the end of the game; disc 2 was the middle), even if the game was installed to the 360 HDD (a good practice for any 360 game).

But the disc swapping is such a minor complaint it hardly bears mentioning. If you have a 360 (or PS3), go buy Mass Effect 2 (but 360 owners should definitely play the original first)!

Page: 1 | 2