Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for brydurk > Reviews

Browse

brydurk's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

brydurk RSS Feed

The Count of Monte Cristo Cover for the Kindle Touch
The Count of Monte Cristo Cover for the Kindle Touch

5.0 out of 5 stars First-class product, March 5, 2012
I have admittedly been slow to completely embrace digital books, mainly because I love the feel of a book in my hands as opposed to my kindle...i'm still not 100% there, but this excellent product has me finally coming around. The attention to detail in creating a cover that truly looks and feels like a book is evident. It looks like a book, feels like a book, and almost makes me forget i don't have to turn the pages. Well done!

The Extra 2%: How Wall Street Strategies Took a Major League Baseball Team from Worst to First
by Jonah Keri
Price: $19.53
135 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, quick read..., April 4, 2011
I devoured this book in two sittings, maybe partly due to its relatively modest length, but mainly because I found it interesting. As has been noted in other reviews, the Rays front office is pretty secretive about precise details of how they operate (as would almost any other business). For me, the interesting part of the book was learning or being reminded of the countless ways the previous regime shot themselves in the foot in the formative years of the franchise. Given their stadium situation, difficulty attracting fans to their games, and the overall soft economy in that region, kudos to them for the recent success they've had. Yes, they had a lot of high draft picks. And yes, they received a lot of revenue sharing dollars. But so have the Pirates and they haven't been successful in years. This was a well-written, enjoyable book.

My Korean Deli: Risking It All for a Convenience Store
My Korean Deli: Risking It All for a Convenience Store
by Ben Ryder Howe
86 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A six-pack, some gum, and a roll of toilet paper, April 4, 2011
I blew through this book over a weekend...I enjoyed the writing, I enjoyed the premise behind the book...there is a deli involved...but more central to the book is that there is a family involved and that family also has a life outside the deli. I think the author maybe tries a little hard at times to neatly tie everything else in his life (his career, relationship with his wife, friendship, etc.) back to a lesson learned in the deli, but on the whole this book worked for me.

Imperial
Imperial
by William T. Vollmann
65 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars parts greater than the sum?, March 9, 2011
This review is from: Imperial (Hardcover)
I have read this book. However, I did not manage (or attempt) to read it straight through. Rather, I picked it up every now and then when I wanted to escape into a different place and/or time and maybe just gain some perspective on a region I didn't know very much about. I like Vollmann's writing and I am also interested in the Imperial County region and its history, so I was happy. This book is not for everyone. Hell, it's probably not for most people. Between the size, the price, and the subject matter, it's not light reading or light carrying. It's not all great. Some of it is quite tedious and overdone. But if you've any interest in the growth of southern California, life in a border region, or the evolution of agriculture in this country, you might want to give it a try. And it's Vollmann, so there are the assortment of prostitutes and view of the seedier side of things that you'd expect.

Wanderlust: 30 Postcards for Insatiable Travelers
Wanderlust: 30 Postcards for Insatiable Travelers
by Troy M. Litten
Edition: Cards
Price: $9.95
54 used & new from $3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars nice pics, great quality..., March 9, 2011
I really like this set of postcards...they are high quality for writing/mailing...more importantly, I think the pics are mostly really cool...not all are great, there are definitely a few duds in the pack...but on the whole, flipping through this stack of cards takes me back to the excitement of grabbing a backpack and taking off for a few months, times spent in bus stations, train stations, struggling with phones, random meals...they were as good as I hoped or better.

To a Mountain in Tibet
To a Mountain in Tibet
by Colin Thubron
101 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Paints quite a picture...but something missing., March 7, 2011
This review is from: To a Mountain in Tibet (Hardcover)
This book provides a wonderful view of a journey to Kailas. The history and legends surrounding this holy place are intertwined with the details of present-day pilgrims and the author paints a rich picture of the details of his journey. What seems to be missing is what drew me to the book in the first place. It was purportedly a very personal pilgrimage made by the author as a means of dealing with the passing of his mother (and thus, his family). I felt that the personal connection/motivation was mostly lacking and I was left with a great description of a trip and a history of the region, but very little insight into what the trip meant to the author.