Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS
Profile for Kevin TT > Reviews

Browse

Kevin TT's Profile

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kevin TT RSS Feed

Adorama 20-Inch Standard Cable Release with Screw Lock
Adorama 20-Inch Standard Cable Release with Screw Lock

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, useful, March 30, 2013
Charming product made in Germany. The brand is Bowers.

The cable is covered by weaved cloth / plastic and is much better than a simple audio-cable-like plastic tubing that I was expecting. It should have no problem standing the cold and will not easily break.

Only small nitpick is I wish / thought it would be longer.

Episode 7
Episode 7
DVD
Price: $1.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Top Gear has lost its magic, March 30, 2013
Everything in this season, you have seen it before. Crap cars, check; pranks, check; hosts put under terrible condition and at least have one sleepless night, check; car broken down on road, check; beautiful scenery shots, check; laughing at Americans, check; professing their love for the exotic country and its people, check.

Well this is the winning Top Gear formula isn't it? Yes, but it's getting tiring.

Two things that particularly stick with me for the Nile special.

(1) I don't follow UK entertainment news, but it definitely feels like some talented writers have left. The banter between the hosts are no longer funny. It's boring, it's not even formula-funny, it's just plain. It's like three slightly interesting old men going on a retirement trip.

(2) The production quality has dropped everywhere... soundtrack, photography, scripts (as mentioned above), plot... I cannot remember how many times (it's a LOT) Jeremy Clarkson has do a David Attenborough-ish narration "today we set out in the morning in Rwanda and we will cross the river", "After a long night, we wake up to check the damage done and luckily it's not so bad". Who wrote these scripts for God's sake?

In summary, still the most expensive production for car program in the history of TV, but the party is almost over.

BM Premium NP-W126 Battery For Fujifilm FinePix X-Pro1, X-Pro2, HS30EXR, HS33EXR, HS35EXR, HS50EXR, X-A1, X-A2, X-E1, X-E2, X-E2S, 1 X-M1, X-T1, X-T10 Digital Camera
Offered by Big Mike's Electronics
Price: $9.99
2 used & new from $7.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, don't buy., March 23, 2013
I didn't expect much out of this battery, normally those cheap battery dies after 100 or so recharges.

This one spectacularly dies after 1 single use.

By dying I mean its battery level drops to around 60% after taking only 30 or so shots, then the next minute the battery completely dies and the camera shuts down because of 0% battery left.

I am thinking whether to return it or should I bother since it's so cheap.

Fujifilm X-E1 16.3 MP Compact System Digital Camera with 2.8-Inch LCD and 18-55mm Lens (Silver) (OLD MODEL)
4 used & new from $616.40

4.0 out of 5 stars This camera reminds you the feeling of being in love, March 13, 2013
I have got this camera for only a couple of days and owning it reminds you the feeling of being in love. =) Remind you that being in love does not mean everything will be easy and perfect... this camera is not perfect, and it can take quite a lot of efforts sometimes (compare to Olympus E-M5 and Sony NEX). It's not a camera that you can just point and shoot and pray, but all your efforts will be rewarded at the end.

People have written much better and professional reviews that I will ever be able to, I am just going to jog down a few points that I can think of.

Color: 10/10
No complaints. Comes with the "Fuji" color that a lot of people love. Compare it with a Sony NEX or Nikon DSLR, you will love Fuji's color. It doesn't have a lot of fancy filter presets like Olympus and Sony, but I think all those "artistic" and "HDR" effects are just gimicks, people serious in learning photograpy will find Fuji's color effects, e.g. Velvia, Astria, etc good enough. Also worth mentioning that the Auto WB is very decent and always seems to be able to pick a good color profile.

"Bokeh": 10/10
Love love love the creamy Bokeh. If you like out-of-focus shots with creamy bokeh, you will be in love.

Focus: 7/10
You have to know what you are getting into, this is a mirrorless camera (so will be much slower than DSLR), and this is not the best mirrorless in terms of focus speed. You will likely not able to focus in time for shooting any kind of moving objects like airshow or sports event, this camera is for street photography, portrait shots and still shots, and its focus is definitely good enough for above scenarios.

ISO: 4/10
This is the area I feel cheated a bit. I think Fuji is overstating their ISO, by a lot. I think X-E1's ISO3200 is roughly comparable to Sony NEX's ISO1600, hence the supposedly superior ISO performance. But if you put both camera at ISO3200 with same aperture, Fuji's shutter speed will be almost twice at Sony's. Noise at ISO3200 is definitely usable, but it's not amazing as the numbers suggest.

Lens: 10/10
I have the 18-55mm "kit" lens and there is nothing kit about that lens. It's a good solid good lens with very bright high-quality glass, I would recommend everyone to start with that lens. Just to think it's twice bright than the garbage kit lens Canon and Sony give us! It also focuses faster than the prime lens. And in 2013 they will have fantastic wide angle and a 200mm zoom lens. It's surprising that Fuji already has a better lens line-up than the whole NEX series... are you listening Sony?

Ergonomics: 6/10
Not very good actually... the camera is large, the kit lens is almost same weight as the body so it's a bit front-heavy. Paired with a rather flat hand grip, it's a bit hard to get comfortable with it. On the other hand, I love the location of the aperture ring and exposure dial.

Build quality: 8/10
I have read some famous, but rather unprofessional reviews online saying that this camera is all metal and build quality rivals Leica. Errr... no. This camera feels exactly like a $1000 camera. Solid, good quality, but not Leica in anyway. In fact I think the lens is much higher quality than the body itself. The black portion of the body is plastic, and the body feels less solidly linked together than NEX.

Bose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Mobile Best Sellers
Price: $249.97
92 used & new from $160.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Good noise cancellation, bad audio quality, March 11, 2013
EDIT: I have decided to deduct another star from this product to 2 stars from 3.

Since as mentioned the Bose build quality is so fragile, and I saw a steal on Newegg on Sennheiser HD428 for a mere $30, I bought it for my office to use as a work horse.

The moment I put on the Sennheiser is like "holy... this is where all my sounds have been hiding". The audio stage of this un-burned, brand new headphones is just so much wider, so much fuller than Bose, which has been burned in properly.

Too late to return the Bose and it's still good for noise cancellation on the planes. But I don't see any reasons to buy the Bose if you don't fly monthly.

-----

I have to say I am quite disappointed in this purchase, though it's not bad enough that I kept it. I will personally not purchase another Bose product after this experience and you should know your priority if you want to but this product.

Noise cancellation: 9/10
Needless to say, very good. If you fly every week, this will be a great purchase for you.

Audio quality: 3/10
Extremely disappointing. It sounds worse than the $100 Klipsch headphones I have, sounds even worse than my car audio. Admittedly my car has a nice B&O system, but a headphone should not sound worse than a car, period.
The base is non-existent... It's not weak, it's not muddled, it's just not there. So basically you miss out on a big chunk of music you are listening to. Treble is nothing to write home about and the sound stage is very weak for a headphone. Basically, you can get better audio quality from $100 headphones.

Build quality: 3/10
It's built like a $50 phone and the plastic has a very flimsy quality to it. I am pretty sure it will break down within 3 years of light use.

Comfort: 6/10
Surprisingly not good too, but this is very personal and much depends on your ear size and shape. It doesn't cover my rather large ears completely and you can clearly feel the pressure. Maybe it will get better after more usage.

I kept this purely because I have other better-sounding headphones and home audio system, and this one will just be used for flying. If you are looking for an all-rounder and want great audio quality, I would suggest you to skip this one.

BUFFALO AirStation HighPower N300 Gigabit Wireless Router - WZR-HP-G300NH
BUFFALO AirStation HighPower N300 Gigabit Wireless Router - WZR-HP-G300NH
Offered by HQ Tech
Price: $149.95
10 used & new from $59.34

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this piece of shite, January 20, 2012
Buy this router if you are a Linux geek and wants to play with scripts, downloading firmwares, understands what AOSS, PPPoE, DCHP means.

Don't buy this piece of garbage if you want something that works.

This router automatically and periodically rejects your computer even if your password is correct. One moment you are surfing, the next moment your connection is off. The only solution is to restart the router.

Package loss is crazy. Wireless speed is only 5-10% of the wired speed tops.

Do NOT buy!! Go for a brand that actually produces products for normal customers.

Klipsch Image ONE Premium On-Ear Earphones with Mic and 3-Button Apple Control - Black/Gloss (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Click and Save
Price: $164.99
7 used & new from $59.99

3.0 out of 5 stars You might get a headache - over-boosted bass, April 30, 2011
I know from reading the previous reviews that the bass is over-boosted, but I didn't know it is this bad.

I minimized the EQ setting to minimal for all 3 low ranges, set "bass reducer" on iPhone, and I still have such a headache 5 mins after a song.

The over-boosted bass actually changes how a song listens.... and not for the better if you are not into ground-shaking rap.

So I'd rate this product 1 star - only buy it if you like your ear drums being punched by the bass from the headphone.

-------------

EDIT:

I have burnt in the headphone for about 100 hours and I am glad to report that the sound quality now significantly improved, so I am giving it 3 stars.

Treble performance significantly improved and became brighter. The bass is still heavier than studio headphones which are much more "true" to music quality, but I can now wear this for half a hour without getting a headache.

Also as a side note, laptop users might want to check their Windows Media Player / Windows OS sound settings. In order to have decent music in my crap laptop speakers, I turned the surround sound effect and bass booster all the way up. It works wonders with crap speakers but it horribly distorts the headphone performance.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2011 7:00 PM PDT

Tissot Men's T17158652 PRC 200 Chronograph Watch
Tissot Men's T17158652 PRC 200 Chronograph Watch

1.0 out of 5 stars Please do not buy this watch... too many replicas, January 24, 2011
I absolutely love the look of the watch so I tried to purchase this watch from two Internet dealers, once from this Amazon merchant and once from Jomashop. And upon close inspection, both of them are the high-end AAA replicas made from China!!!

So I am going to vote this 1 star just remind everyone - please choose another model if you don't want to pay $300 for a fake made in China!

It's none of the faults of Tissot, or Amazon, or even the Internet dealers... it's just that Tissot is a very popular brand in China and PRC200 has been on the market for a very long time - giving plenty of time for the Chinese to perfect their replica.

It's staggering that I did a PRC200 search on the Chinese equivalent of eBay, there are thousands of fakes ranging from $60 USD to $150 USD. The ones I received are the AAA $150 one with the authentic Swiss quartz movement, but the build quality of the dials and bracelet is still a bit worse than the original Tissot.

It's shocking how the current market is flooded by replicas that I suspect the majority of the gray market PRC200 in US is fake. Because the movement is authentic, no Authorized Dealer will be willing to tell you that it's a fake, so we are completely at our digression here. I think even one of the images posted by Amazon customers on this page is fake, because you can see that the tachymeter is slightly out of position.

I ended up buying a Swiss Army watch... purely based on the conclusion that there are no high-end replicas for that model yet because it just came out last year.

Good luck everyone!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2012 6:03 AM PST