Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Trisha Turner > Reviews

Browse

Trisha Turner's Profile

Customer Reviews: 32

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Trisha Turner RSS Feed (Ottawa, ON Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Mom's Ultimate Book of Lists, A: 100+ Lists to Save You Time, Money, and Sanity
Mom's Ultimate Book of Lists, A: 100+ Lists to Save You Time, Money, and Sanity
by Michelle R. LaRowe
97 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A New Mom's (or Mom-to-be's) Best Friend, February 22, 2010
This book is a VERY comprehensive compilation of lists that are helpful to ANY mom. The lists start with Common Pregnancy Symptoms and Solutions and go through choosing a childcare provider. There are also lists about what you DON'T need as a mom and places to take your child for the day. There are lists on so many subjects. The lists are easy to understand and are EXACTLY the type of lists mom's need (especially first timers). This book would make an amazing baby shower gift!

As a mom of a toddler and an infant, I find the lists helpful in overcoming the inevitable "Mommy Brain". Like any pre-fabricated lists, there will be some items that don't apply and some that you feel you need that aren't on the list, but at least you are given a jumping off point. With so much going on in your life, the last thing you want to think about is making a huge list of stuff to take with you on your first trip.

My favourite parts of this book are the recipes for freezer friendly meals and toddler friendly treats (i.e.: Dirt Cups). I found this book to also be a great reference guide for following your infant/toddlers growth and development (both charts are in this book!). It also lists the dietary needs of children along with the suggested serving sizes of each food category.

I would highly recommend this book to ANY mom with young children.

Available now at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

The Choice (Lancaster County Secrets, Book 1)
The Choice (Lancaster County Secrets, Book 1)
by Suzanne Woods Fisher
Price: $12.62
214 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The Choice by Suzanne Woods Fisher, January 30, 2010
I can't even begin to say enough good things about this book. This is the first of Suzanne Woods Fisher's books that I've ever read and I can definitely say that it won't be the last. The Choice is set in an Amish community in Lancaster County, PA. The characters each add their own uniqueness to the stories that Suzanne unfolds for the reader. I found that I became Carrie as I read the book and so I laughed and cried right along with her. The emotions that the characters felt were well portrayed and any reader, whether they've gone through similar circumstances or not, can relate to what each character must be feeling at any given time.

This book was easy to read, and hard to put down. It has two parallel running story lines which break the book up a bit so that you don't become bored with what any one set of characters is doing. In one story you are following Carrie's life and in the parallel story you are following the life of Solomon. What two different lives they are and yet there is still a common connection of love between Carrie and Solomon.

Another great advantage to reading this book is to learn a bit more about the Amish lifestyle. There are a number of things that Suzanne writes about in this book that are new concepts to me. If you aren't overly familiar with the Amish ways, then you'd probably enjoy this book just for its educational value. I definitely recommend this book.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 2, 2010 5:44 PM PST

50 Ways to Feel Great Today: Keys to Beating Stress, Worry, and the Blues
50 Ways to Feel Great Today: Keys to Beating Stress, Worry, and the Blues
by David B. Biebel
41 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars 50 Ways to Feel Great Today, January 26, 2010
I really enjoyed reading 50 Ways to Feel Great Today. The authors gave great ideas for simple and inexpensive things that you can do to improve your everyday life. I enjoyed how some of the ideas involved more than just the reader. There were suggestions such as "Kidnapping" someone or planning a treasure hunt. I loved that these ideas could involve others (i.e.: family and/or friends) and would also help reduce their stress levels as well.

There were some points throughout the book where I felt the ideas were geared more towards an older crowd than where I am personally, but each suggested idea would work for any age. In particular, the chapter titled "Use the Internet Creatively", seemed to be written to explain the wonders of the web for an older generation. The things mentioned were such as Write a Blog, Join a Forum, Find and Share Humorous videos, and Skype someone. As someone who is only 28 these ideas seemed obvious. They are pretty much a part of everyday life and I got thinking about how stress relieving these things could actually be. Personally, there is a lot of drama on forums. I do, however, agree with the Skyping section as I use Skype with my kids all the time so that they can talk with their grandparents.

I am so glad that someone came up with this book and that the ideas are inexpensive. A lot of times with books like these they have suggestions that are a little too pricey (i.e.: take a family vacation, go on a romantic cruise with your spouse, etc.). It's refreshing to have simple and free things to focus on to better enhance my life experience. I recommend this book to anyone struggling with stress or even to anyone struggling with day to day monotony. It's a great read and a wonderful book to refer back to time and time again!

Living with Confidence in a Chaotic World
Living with Confidence in a Chaotic World
by David Jeremiah
242 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Living with Confidence in a Chaotic World by Dr. David Jeremiah, January 23, 2010
First I'd like to thank Thomas Nelson Publishers for providing this book for me to review. I would never have read or even heard about this book otherwise.

When dealing with all of the stressors in today's society it's easy to stray in your walk with God. This book gives great ways to remain confident and ties them into scripture in a meaningful way. The chapters include:
Stay Calm
Stay Confident
Stay Consistent
Stay Committed
Stay Convinced

In each chapter the author talks about an area where many people find chaos and then proceeds to tell the reader how to go about surmounting each stress related area. There is humour sprinkled throughout some chapters and the stories/examples the author uses are engaging. I found this to be an easy read and very applicable to today's high stress environment.

Offworld
Offworld
by Robin Parrish
44 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Offworld by Robin Parrish, December 10, 2009
This review is from: Offworld (Paperback)
First I'd like to thank Bethany House publishers for providing this book for me to review. I would never have read or even heard about this book otherwise.

Offworld falls into the genre of science fiction, which typically isn't a genre that I fancy. This book, however, is extremely well written. A crew of astronauts that are on a mission to Mars return to Earth to find that every living thing has vanished! We follow the crew as they try to figure out what has happened. Each chapter has a new twist and I found this book hard to put down. As with many books, there were some predictable parts, but not so many that you know the ending before you get there. The imagery in the book is phenomenal. Robin Parrish describes the scenes in such a way that you feel as though you're standing right there with the crew. I'd highly recommend this book to any sci-fi fan, but also to anyone looking to break into the sci-fi genre. Happy reading!

How God Makes Babies (Pure Foundations)
How God Makes Babies (Pure Foundations)
by Jim Burns
Price: $13.75
55 used & new from $3.79

5.0 out of 5 stars How God Makes Babies, October 7, 2009
This is another of several books in the Pure Foundations series by Bethany House Publishers. These books are geared towards specific aged children with this particular book being for 6-9 yr. olds.

I really like the books descriptions of how "A husband and wife show their love for each other in many ways." It doesn't just start right out with sex; it talks about living together, encouraging each other, praying together. All of these are values we want to teach our children from a very early age.

This book addresses the fact that both boys and girls have private parts that are not to be touched except for by a Dr. during a check up or when you are young by a mom or dad helping to keep you clean. I like that the book does say that no matter who it is, touching of private parts in not acceptable and you should tell a trusted grown up right away. Unfortunately, in this day an age, anyone can be a sexual predator so this is an important lesson to teach kids.

I love that in the description of the birth it talks about both a doctor and a midwife as a person that helps deliver the baby as well as talking about baby getting nourishment from a mother's breast as well as that sometimes a baby needs formula. I appreciate that the book has a picture of a breastfeeding baby as most books will show a baby being fed from a bottle.

This book also addresses adoption and how it fits into God's plan. Overall this book is a great resource for parents trying to teach their children about sex in a healthy way.

God Made Your Body (Pure Foundations)
God Made Your Body (Pure Foundations)
by Jim Burns
29 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars God Made Your Body, October 7, 2009
This is one of several books in the Pure Foundations series by Bethany House Publishers. This particular book is geared towards children age 3-5. The purpose of the Pure Foundations series is to teach children about sex in a healthy home environment. This can deter a child from only having a media eye's unhealthy view of sex and sexuality in general. It also incorporates how God made each child special and this can also lead to a healthy self-image.

I really enjoyed the interactivity of this book. As the book describes how God has created everyone special, it also asks the child questions such as "What color are your eyes?" and "What are you good at doing?" The book really facilitates conversation between the reader and the child.

This book also brought up conversation between my husband and I. Since our little girl is only 18 months at the moment we were able to discuss the use of certain terminology. The book is very medical in nature in that it uses the words penis and testicles as well as vagina and womb. This got us to thinking about whether or not these are words we want our daughter taking off with her to school. Is it appropriate for a 3-5 year old to use those terms or would we like to use something different? However, the book isn't 100% consistent in its "grown up" talk as it then goes on later to talk about mommies fixing "owies".

I really like that the book talks about both doctors and midwifes delivering a baby as well as those families that are blessed with adopted children.

The book concludes with a short prayer of thanks and a scripture passage. Overall the book really is great for gradually introducing a child to the differences between boys and girls as well as for introducing the concepts of "making love" and the development of a baby.

The Busy People's Fast and Frugal Cookbook
The Busy People's Fast and Frugal Cookbook
by Dawn Hall
90 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Busy People's Fast & Frugal Cookbook by Dawn Hall, October 7, 2009
Who doesn't need a cookbook that has recipes that can be ready in 30 minutes or less? In this day an age, anything that can be done well in less time is a bonus. This cookbook is laid out very well. The chapters target specific parts of a meal (i.e.: Appetizer, Salad, Soup/Chowder, Main Meals, Side Dishes, etc.). Each chapter has its own mini index at the beginning of it breaking down the meals based on the time they take to make. This is great if you are looking for super quick meals on the busier nights of the week.

The recipes are broken down with separate instructions for preparation of the meal and the actual cooking of the meal. Also, the recipes tell you the important nutritional info including calories, total fat, cholesterol, fiber, etc.

My favorite part of this recipe book is that it also has suggestions for what to pair up with certain main dishes to make a total meal. I always struggle with this part of meal planning so it makes planning well balanced meals MUCH simpler.

Another great feature of the recipes is that they have both a supplies list and a grocery list. Also, it categorizes the ingredients that should be in your pantry to make it easier to do that quick check for those items before heading out for your groceries.

My favorite recipes are in the breakfast/brunch, breads and biscuits, desserts, and beverages sections. I didn't find many recipes that appealed to my tastes in the other sections, which was a little disconcerting. However, every person enjoys different flavors and it could be your gold mine!

What's He Really Thinking?: How to Be a Relational Genius with the Man in Your Life
by Paula Rinehart
Price: $14.99
80 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars What's He REALLY Thinking? by Paula Rinehart, September 22, 2009
I decided to review this book because what woman wouldn't want to know what the man in their life is REALLY thinking? This book was broken into two sections each with 3-5 subcategories. The two sections were titled "Understanding the Man You Love" and "Loving the Man you Understand". Topics that were touched upon were:

Why Men Hurt
How Men Change
Respect
Conflict
Intimacy

All of these topics would be of great interest to a woman. I, however, found that the chapters lacked the ability to draw me in as a reader. I found the examples used were a bit stretched for and didn't always fit the situation. I would've liked to have heard more stories about real people as those were the parts I found most interesting. Overall, I didn't find that this book taught me a whole lot more than what I already knew, and I found myself simply reading it to review it instead of enjoying and taking from it important information.

Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear
Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear
by Max Lucado
394 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear by Max Lucado, September 8, 2009
Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear published by Thomas Nelson Publishers and written by Max Lucado is a book that poses the question of, "What would your life be like if you could live without fear?" Lucado takes the reader through several key fears that most people face day to day and reminds them about what Jesus and the Bible have to say about dealing with those fears.

Some of the fears this book tackles are:
Fear of Worst Case Scenarios
Fear of Life's Final Moments
Fear of Not Protecting My Kids
Fear of Not Mattering

This book is an easy to read look at how Christians approach the fears in their lives and what we should do to overcome them. One of my favourite parts of the book is the list of 8 Worry Stoppers that Lucado gives his readers. You'll have to get the book to find out what they are. I can, however, tell you that they spell out the acronym P-E-A-C-E-F-U-L, which I found highly appropriate. The other thing I really enjoyed about this book were the real life stories interjected throughout the chapters. This broke up the deep parts of the book to make it easier to read for long periods of time.

This book also has a study guide for either group or individual reflection on a chapter by chapter basis. The questions presented really stop and make you think and to examine your life. I highly recommend this book to both new and old Christians as EVERYONE deals with fear in their life and it's high time we knew what to do about it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4