Profile for S. Hollandsworth > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Hollandsworth "A Stitch From Insanity" RSS Feed (Iowa, USA)

Knitted Lace of Estonia
Knitted Lace of Estonia
by Nancy Bush
41 used & new from $3.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Lace with a little history to boot, November 15, 2008
I just got my hands on this book last week and was just stunned by the beauty of the lace in this book. Nancy Bush writes about the history of Estonian lace and includes quite a few little tips on some of the finer points and unfamiliar abbreviations. There are little history lessons at the beginning of each of the different patterns. It's more like an origin lesson really.

I think I was drawn to the unique texture of the Estonian lace with it's nupps. I am a beginner lace knitter, though I have knitted many other things. At first I was a little taken aback by the fact that the patterns are charted out, and I had never worked from a chart before, but the lace won out and soon I was casting on.

I used a fingering weight, Navajo plied, handspun that I spun last month and started with one of the least daunting projects, the Raja Scarf. Before long I was at ease with the pattern symbols and concept behind the chart. In fact, it was so well laid out that I finished it in 2 evenings and then went on to adapt the pattern into a hat knit in the round to match.

I have been beating the rest of my knitting group away from this book since they discovered it's existence. They can all get their own as I have plans to make one of everything in there. No amount of crying or outright bribery is going to get my hot little hands off this book. In the meantime, if anyone has a review on a good safe...

It Itches: A Stash of Knitting Cartoons
It Itches: A Stash of Knitting Cartoons
by Franklin Habit
41 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for the knitter in your life, November 15, 2008
My knitting group really enjoyed looking at this book. I have to admit, you would probably have to be a knitter to understand some of it's finer points and references, but boy howdy if you are! I'm so glad I bought it once, I would even buy it again for a friend.