Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro
Profile for Grei R. S. Walker > Reviews

Browse

Grei R. S. Walker's Profile

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Grei R. S. Walker RSS Feed (Copley, Ohio United States)

The Solar Home (How-To Guides)
The Solar Home (How-To Guides)
by Mark Freeman
37 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the only one to own..., April 10, 2002
As a compliment to other books on the subject this one would suffice to add some detail, but I certainly am glad it's not the only book on solar home building I own. The material seems to be presented from a limited, but technical, scope of understanding. Although some technical and accurate information has found it's way into the pages of this book, I have found it on all levels to be missing what ever mysterious combination of qualities makes a good user friendly how to book. From my reading of other books on the subject what fresh material and/or thought this book brings to the subject seems to be either contrary or obsolete. The methodology in this book seems particularly biased to a very limited way of covering the concerns of anyone interested in passive solar homes. Again this book could potentially supplement a reasonible collection, but I'm glad it's not my only book on the subject, and I'm certainly glad that it wasn't my first book on the subject! I'm not saying that this book is all wrong, but I find it to be far from alright! If you haven't bought a book on this subject yet, keep looking...I reccomend THE PASSIVE SOLAR HOUSE by James Kachadorian instead, it is more complete and more in touch!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2014 2:26 AM PST

Stone Circles: A Modern Builders Guide to the Megalithic Revival
Stone Circles: A Modern Builders Guide to the Megalithic Revival
62 used & new from $0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality instruction for the ecentric!, April 10, 2002
I can hardly wait to start laying out my own little "stone henge" and with this book I now know how! I always wondered how they did it, now thanks to Rob Roy, not only do I know how they did it, but now I know how I can do it too! Rob provides history, lore, safety tips, labor saving "secrets" of the ancients, great anecdotes and practical and technical instruction on site selection and preparation, stone selection and preparation, constuction of safe and durable megalithic structures, and even a human and spiritual side of the subject that can be quite energizing. With this book anyone can find their own connection to our ancient ancestors! In addition to all the information provided, this book also harbors some very phenominal photographs of both ancient and modern megalithic structures around the world. If you buy only one book this year, buy this one...if your disapointed then you have no soul!

Mortgage-Free!: Radical Strategies for Home Ownership (Real Goods Solar Living Books)
67 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Freedom is not radical!, April 10, 2002
This book could serve well as a "bible" for anyone interested in stepping out of the rat race! Mortgage-Free! : Radical Strategies for Home Ownership is an excelent read! This book contains good down to Earth, anecdotal, practical, useful information for aquiring land, planning and building a healthy home for you and your family, and finding quality life outside of the mainstream dog-eat-dog society. This book is an excelent primer for anyone who wants better!

The Complete Book Of Underground Houses: How To Build A Low Cost Home
The Complete Book Of Underground Houses: How To Build A Low Cost Home
49 used & new from $5.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Rob did it again!, April 10, 2002
Once again Rob Roy has succeded in producing a quality how to book! This book gives clear concise intructions for every phase of building an underground house. This book covers everything from ground breaking (even a few tips on ground aquiring) to earth sheltering! Foundations, walls, roof and support structure, hvac, waterproofing, insulation, everything! It is accurate, well written, anecdotal and user friendly! I have every confidence that anyone interested in the subject of underground housing will benefit greatly from the ownership of this book. Buy the book and start digging!

Alternative Housebuilding
Alternative Housebuilding
by Michael McClintock
62 used & new from $0.64

1.0 out of 5 stars Inadequate research, April 10, 2002
I bought this book primarily to expand on my interest and study of cordwood masonry. I feel that based on what I already knew about the subject, the authors did a poor job of researching functional methods of the technique. I am not certain as to the accuracy of information regarding any other technique (due to my lack of interest and prior knowledge) in the book, however based on the poor coverage of cordwood masonry I would be quite skeptical about the author's advanced research or knowledge of the techniques covered. In particular I base my disapointment in this book on the casual and unresearched method of cordwood masonry displayed within. It is apparent (through admission of the author within the book) the concept of cordwood masonry was heard of, and then attempted. Had more research been performed, to determine the history and various functional techniques of cordwood masonry, I'm sure the author could have covered the subject more fairly. Again I cannot speak as to the accuracy of information of any other building method in this book, but my faith in the author's concern for proper research is shaken tremendously.