Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS
Profile for MAT.I.AM > Reviews

Browse

MAT.I.AM's Profile

Customer Reviews: 104

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

MAT.I.AM "MAT." RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Seiko QXA628KRH Wall Japanese Quartz Wall Clock
Seiko QXA628KRH Wall Japanese Quartz Wall Clock
Price: $41.25
5 used & new from $41.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Product Photograph Is Misleading!, August 13, 2015
The details on the dial looks smart like a wrist watch than a wall clock.

The product photograph on display is a little deceptive as it is digitally manipulated to make it appear attractive. The photograph makes you believe that Lumibrite paint is really as effective as radium paint found on time machines from the past. In reality, the numbers and markings are almost white and the Lumibrite is much sober and just about visible in the dark.

I've had bad experiences with regular AA batteries leaking, especially when used with low power devices like clocks and this has resulted in permanent damage to the clock's quartz movement that holds the leaking AA battery. So I now only use Eneloop Low Self Discharge rechargeable batteries with all the wall clocks for longer lasting performance/protection of purchase.

The clock is very quiet, works as expected and is good value for money.

Bormioli Rocco Giara Bottle Set of 6, Sky Blue
Bormioli Rocco Giara Bottle Set of 6, Sky Blue
Price: $56.79
5 used & new from $46.85

2.0 out of 5 stars The Colours Are Merely A Spray Coating!, August 1, 2015
The Giara series of bottles are one of the best designs from Bormioli Rocco brand. All of their bottles are made in Italy. The built-in locking mechanism is handy for everyday personal use.

The blue colour, and all the other colours available, are merely a spray coating on a transparent glass bottle. Once the coating starts peeling off, in thin patches, due surface contact with rough objects/wear and tear, the bottles start looking really cheap. The colourless version is highly recommended and are a better buy.

Bormioli Rocco Oxford Bottle, 33-3/4-Ounce, Navy
Bormioli Rocco Oxford Bottle, 33-3/4-Ounce, Navy
Offered by MMP Living
Price: $11.34
6 used & new from $10.99

2.0 out of 5 stars The Colours Are Merely A Spray Coating!, August 1, 2015
The Bormioli Rocco Oxford bottles are made in Italy. The built-in locking mechanism is handy for everyday personal use.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2015 12:47 PM PDT

Casio Men's AE1200WH-1A World Time Watch
Casio Men's AE1200WH-1A World Time Watch
Price: $14.45
14 used & new from $14.45

5.0 out of 5 stars They Are As Casual & Comfortable As A Pair Of Blue Jeans..., April 21, 2015
In 1986, Casio released the W-50U World Time Watch. I had the opportunity of seeing it in a shopping mall in Singapore, during a visit in 1988. At that time, they were exclusively manufactured in Japan. See images posted.

In 2001, I bought the W-50U, but by then they were being manufactured in China. The watch served me well for 6 years before it failed. I did miss the watch and I could not get a new one as the model had been discontinued.

In 2015, I happened to spot the Casio Classic Black Watch AE1200WH-1B and it reminded me of the Casio W-50U. They have a striking similarity except the addition of the analogue display dial. Interestingly, they are also priced the same even after a decade and a half, so I could not resist the temptation of ordering one.

There are two models, one that ends with the alphabet A (AE1200WH-1A) & the other ends in alphabet B (AE1200WH-1B). The model ending with alphabet B retains all the appearance of the vintage W-50U; that includes the green world map, pale LCD screen, yellow markings/letters on the dial and bezel.

This watch is not about scratch resistant glass, G-Shock technology, Tough solar power… all the premium watch technologies that Casio is actually famous for. This watch is all about casual wear that is very high on comfort and functionality. I just don’t feel like wearing any of my other bulky expensive watches that I enjoyed wearing when I was younger. They are as casual and comfortable as a pair of blue jeans. Perfect for everyday casual wear.

The AE1200WH-1B is slightly bigger than the W-50U but it is a worthy successor in every way.

Casio Classic Black Watch AE1200WH-1B
Casio Classic Black Watch AE1200WH-1B
Offered by DB Time
Price: $24.00
24 used & new from $20.78

Wireworld Starlight 7 USB 2.0 Flat Cable, A to B, 2.0 Meter (6.5 Feet)
Wireworld Starlight 7 USB 2.0 Flat Cable, A to B, 2.0 Meter (6.5 Feet)
Offered by FatWyre
Price: $120.00
10 used & new from $120.00

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best USB Cable Available On Amazon For Under A Benjamin..., August 29, 2014
A few years ago, when I was a beginner in computer audio, Pangea Audio 24AWG solid silver USB cable was one of the first aftermarket USB cables that I bought. There were 02 factors that determined my purchase decision. 1: I had particularly enjoyed Pangea Audio’s budget AC 14SE power cords and HD-24PCe HDMI cables and 2: The 24AWG 'solid pure silver' simply tricked me into buying one.

At that time, I was using the Pangea Audio USB cable with a portable setup. The Pangea Audio USB cable was definitely an improvement over the stock USB cables that I had with me but it came with a price; the Pangea Audio USB cable was just too stiff as their HDMI cables, it lacked the flexibility that I desired for my portable setup. After a few months of careful use, the plastic sheathing at the bottom of the Type B connector, of the Pangea Audio USB cable started cracking up. I do not expect this for this price!

I then tried the WireWorld Starlight 7 USB cable. For the same price as the Pangea Audio USB cable, the WireWorld Starlight is more flexible, well-engineered and better-built USB cable. It also sounds much more detailed and transparent than the Pangea Audio USB cable, despite the fact that it uses 'silver plated' copper conductors. An expensive audiophile lesson there. For those strictly wanting to shop from Amazon, the WireWorld Starlight USB cable offers the best value for money performance currently for under a Benjamin (USD 100).

Since then, I have had the chance to try a few USB cables under the USD 100 mark and I have to say that USB cables do make a difference but at the same time, I’m hesitant to go past the USD 100 mark. Especially when you get decent computer audio performance from portable DAC/Amp that costs USD 200 these days. Spending too much money on USB cables defies logic. At least for me, as I’m someone who is always on the lookout for good audio for affordable money.

Of all the USB cables that I’ve tried, over the years, the dual-headed USB cable is clearly superior by design and is ideal for computer audio. These cables have the power and data cables in separate cables and that is what gives them a performance edge over conventional USB cables. This also makes them more expensive than conventional USB cables.

The dual-headed USB cable can be used in a few different ways. It allows the user to disconnect the power carrying cable from the host computer’s USB port if the DAC you are using runs off an external power supply. This helps eliminate noise that is normally associated with computer audio’s power supply. And it also allows one to use it simultaneously with an external battery when using a portable DAC that works off a 5v power supply. Either ways, they offer better fidelity than most conventional USB cables can achieve by design.

Dual-headed USB cables are all the rage now amongst computer audiophiles. As much as I wanted to try them, the steep prices just kept me away. In my search for an affordable dual-headed USB cable, I recently came across an lesser known cable brand by the name of Audiocadabra. I first spotted them in an audio classifieds website in the UK. I ordered their dual-headed handcrafted Optimus USB cable, directly from their website, which cost a mere USD 89 with free shipping to the US.

The first time I plugged in the Audiocadabra Optimus dual-headed USB cable it sounded very detailed and a tad treble happy. I gave them a good 200hrs of burn-in, just like what Audiocadabra suggests on their website, before I started some serious listening. Post burn-in, they do mellow down a lot and now sounds way more detailed and transparent than the Pangea Audio Solid Silver USB cable, more blacker and tactile than the WireWorld Starlight USB cable.

The improvements I heard with Audiocadabra dual-headed Optimus cable over the WireWorld Starlight is most notable in the midrange. I felt like I have moved a few rows ahead in the venue and the background noise feels like it has dropped a notch or two. The presentation is more holographic. The attack and decay of instruments sounds believable and feels good to listen to. And surprisingly it has all the details without feeling clinical at all.

My observation is purely based on listening to the above USB cables with my favourite Sennheiser HD650 cans with a selection of DACs that I have collected over the years. Sometimes keeping an open mind leads you to unexpected surprises. Though Audiocadabra was an unfamiliar company to me, their customer service and prompt responses are commendable. I’m sure I will be trying Audiocadabra’s other handcrafted cables with confidence in the future.

I now have the Audiocadabra Optimus dual-headed USB cable in use with my main computer system. They are my new reference USB cable. The WireWorld Starlight is currently being used as my mobile USB cable that travels in my laptop bag. The Pangea Audio has now found a temporary resting place, in my loft, with other cables in a large brown card-board box. I think I’ll soon list it on Audiogon to fund some new purchases before X’mas this year.

Pangea Audio - USB cable - 24 ga solid silver - 1 Meter
Pangea Audio - USB cable - 24 ga solid silver - 1 Meter

2.0 out of 5 stars I Like Pangea Audio Products But Not Their USB Cables..., August 29, 2014

Pangea Audio - USB cable - 24 ga solid silver - 0.5 Meter
Pangea Audio - USB cable - 24 ga solid silver - 0.5 Meter
Offered by Audio Advisor, Inc.
Price: $41.99
2 used & new from $41.99

Wireworld Starlight 7 USB 2.0 Flat Cable, A to B, 1.0 Meter (40 Inch)
Wireworld Starlight 7 USB 2.0 Flat Cable, A to B, 1.0 Meter (40 Inch)
Offered by FatWyre
Price: $100.00
7 used & new from $100.00

GoodCans Protective Headphone Bag (Soft Sided Case, Pouch) - Large Size - Fits Grado GS1000i, PS1000, Grado's w/G-Cush Earpads, most Sennheiser HD Series, AKG, and Other Full-Sized Headphones
Offered by GoodCans by Listening Station
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $19.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Slappa Hardbody Headphone Case Vs. GoodCans Protective Headphone Case, August 28, 2013
I was using the GoodCans Protective headphone case with my Fostex T-50RP headphones. I was not totally satisfied with the protection that the soft GoodCans case offered. A recent review of this amazing headphone - Fostex T-50RP, on audiopolitan dot com, made me aware of the possibility of using the Slappa Hardbody headphone case, so I went ahead and ordered it from Amazon.

As it turns out, the Slappa Hardbody is perfectly cut out for the Fostex T-50RP, just like the audiopolitan review mentioned, and at just a third more, in cost, the Slappa Hardbody is a an extremely well made and robust case. The GoodCans case is just a grey nylon bag with a soft material inside. It's not going to protect your headphones if there is a strong impact and is not at all suitable for use with volumetrically full backpacks and handbags. At least, I was not comfortable with it and I would think it may be better with cans where the ear cups turn flat and face the same direction, even then the protection is questionable. I don't see the value in its current pricing either.

I currently use the GoodCans protective case to carry my cables and other accessories. I have loaded some pictures, on Amazon, with permission from audiopolitan dot com, for you to view and see it for yourself.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2014 8:51 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11