Profile for Sound Addict Boy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 106

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sound Addict Boy RSS Feed (Orlando, FL)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Pangea Audio - USB cable - 24 ga solid silver - 1.5 Meter
Pangea Audio - USB cable - 24 ga solid silver - 1.5 Meter
Price: $129.99
3 used & new from $123.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Stiff For A USB Cable, August 29, 2014
I have had the chance to try a few USB cables under the USD 100 mark and I have to say that USB cables do make a difference but at the same time, I’m hesitant to go past the USD 100 mark. Especially when you get decent computer audio performance from portable DAC/Amp that costs USD 200 these days. Spending too much money on USB cables defies logic. At least for me, as I’m someone who is always on the lookout for good audio for affordable money.

Of all that cables I’ve tried, over the last few years, the dual-headed USB cable design is clearly superior. These cables have the power and data cables in separate cables and that is what gives them an edge over standard USB cables. That also makes them very expensive than the standard USB cables.

The dual-headed USB cable can be used in a few different ways. It allows the user to disconnect the power carrying cable from the host computer’s USB port if the DAC you are using runs off an external power supply. This helps eliminate noise that is normally associated with computer audio’s power supply. And it also allows one to use it simultaneously with an external battery when using a portable DAC that works off a 5v power supply. Either ways, they offer better fidelity than most standard USB cables can by design.

Dual-headed USB cables are all the rage now amongst computer audiophiles. As much as I wanted to try them, the steep prices just kept me away. I recently came across a handcrafted cable brand from India by the name of Audiocadabra. I first spotted them in an audio classifieds website in the UK. I ordered their dual-headed handcrafted Optimus USB cable, directly from their website, which cost a mere USD 89 with free shipping to the US. The Audiocadabra Optimus dual-headed USB cable sounded way better than the Pangea Audio Solid Silver USB cable & the WireWorld Starlight USB cable that I also have in my collection of cables.

The WireWorld Starlight is still a favourite cable that has served me well for over a year. The Pangea Audio Solid Silver cable was nowhere close to the WireWorld Starlight cable in performance and build quality, and so I only used them in non-critical second setups. The Pangea Audio USB cable was so stiff that the plastic joint, right under the USB plug, started cracking. It still works but the cable is robust like an audio-grade power cord and is just impractical as a USB cable. Sigh!

The improvements I heard with Audiocadabra dual-headed Optimus cable over the WireWorld Starlight is most notable in the midrange. You feel like you have moved a few rows ahead in the venue and the background noise feels like it has dropped a notch or two. The presentation is more cohesive across the frequency. The attack and decay of instruments sounds believable and feels good to listen to. And surprisingly it has all the details without feeling clinical at all.

My observation is purely based on listening to the above USB cables with my favourite Sennheiser HD650 cans with a selection of DACs that I have collected over the years. Sometimes keeping an open mind leads you to unexpected surprises. Though Audiocadabra was an unfamiliar company to me, from the other side of the globe, their customer service and prompt responses is commendable. I’m sure I will be trying Audiocadabra’s other handcrafted cables with confidence in the future.

I now have the Audiocadabra Optimus dual-headed USB cable in use with my main system. The WireWorld Starlight is currently being used as my mobile USB cable that travels in my laptop bag. The Pangea Audio has now found a temporary resting place, in my loft, with other cables in a large brown card-board box. I think I’ll soon list it on Audiogon to fund some new purchases before X’mas this year.

Wireworld Starlight 7 1.0M USB Cable - Standard A to B

Pangea Audio - USB cable - 24 ga solid silver - 1 Meter
Price: $99.99
2 used & new from $99.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Stiff For A USB Cable, August 29, 2014
I have had the chance to try a few USB cables under the USD 100 mark and I have to say that USB cables do make a difference but at the same time, I'm hesitant to go past the USD 100 mark. Especially when you get decent computer audio performance from portable DAC/Amp that costs USD 200 these days. Spending too much money on USB cables defies logic. At least for me, as I'm someone who is always on the lookout for good audio for affordable money.

Of all that cables I've tried, over the last few years, the dual-headed USB cable design is clearly superior. These cables have the power and data cables in separate cables and that is what gives them an edge over standard USB cables. That also makes them very expensive than the standard USB cables.

The dual-headed USB cable can be used in a few different ways. It allows the user to disconnect the power carrying cable from the host computer's USB port if the DAC you are using runs off an external power supply. This helps eliminate noise that is normally associated with computer audio's power supply. And it also allows one to use it simultaneously with an external battery when using a portable DAC that works off a 5v power supply. Either ways, they offer better fidelity than most standard USB cables can by design.

My observation is purely based on listening to the above USB cables with my favourite Sennheiser HD650 cans with a selection of DACs that I have collected over the years. Sometimes keeping an open mind leads you to unexpected surprises. Though Audiocadabra was an unfamiliar company to me, from the other side of the globe, their customer service and prompt responses is commendable. I'm sure I will be trying Audiocadabra's other handcrafted cables with confidence in the future.

I now have the Audiocadabra Optimus dual-headed USB cable in use with my main system. The WireWorld Starlight is currently being used as my mobile USB cable that travels in my laptop bag. The Pangea Audio has now found a temporary resting place, in my loft, with other cables in a large brown card-board box. I think I'll soon list it on Audiogon to fund some new purchases before X'mas this year.

Pangea Audio - USB cable - 24 ga solid silver - 0.5 Meter
Pangea Audio - USB cable - 24 ga solid silver - 0.5 Meter
Price: $69.99
3 used & new from $60.99

Starlight Usb 2.0 A-B Flat Cable 1.0 Meter
Starlight Usb 2.0 A-B Flat Cable 1.0 Meter
6 used & new from $84.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Good USB Cable But..., August 29, 2014

GoodCans Protective Headphone Bag (Soft Sided Case, Pouch) - Large Size - Fits Grado GS1000i, PS1000, Grado's w/G-Cush Earpads, most Sennheiser HD Series, AKG, and Other Full-Sized Headphones
Offered by GoodCans by Listening Station
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Slappa Hardbody Headphone Case Vs. GoodCans Protective Headphone Case, August 28, 2013
I was using the GoodCans Protective headphone case with my Fostex T-50RP headphones. I was not totally satisfied with the protection that the soft GoodCans case offered. A recent review of this amazing headphone - Fostex T-50RP, on audiopolitan dot com, made me aware of the possibility of using the Slappa Hardbody headphone case, so I went ahead and ordered it from Amazon.

As it turns out, the Slappa Hardbody is perfectly cut out for the Fostex T-50RP, just like the audiopolitan review mentioned, and at just a third more, in cost, the Slappa Hardbody is a an extremely well made and robust case. The GoodCans case is just a grey nylon bag with a soft material inside. It's not going to protect your headphones if there is a strong impact and is not at all suitable for use with volumetrically full backpacks and handbags. At least, I was not comfortable with it and I would think it may be better with cans where the ear cups turn flat and face the same direction, even then the protection is questionable. I don't see the value in its current pricing either.

I currently use the GoodCans protective case to carry my cables and other accessories. I have loaded some pictures, on Amazon, with permission from audiopolitan dot com, for you to view and see it for yourself.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2014 8:51 PM PDT

Slappa Full Sized HardBody PRO Headphone Case (SL-HP-07)
Slappa Full Sized HardBody PRO Headphone Case (SL-HP-07)
Price: $30.25
6 used & new from $27.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Slappa Hardbody Headphone Case Vs. GoodCans Protective Headphone Case, August 28, 2013

Kenny G: An Evening of Rhythm Romance [Blu-ray]
Kenny G: An Evening of Rhythm Romance [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Kenny G.
Price: $13.39
38 used & new from $10.41

1.0 out of 5 stars You Will Probably Watch This Blu-ray Only Once!, August 28, 2013
It's not very often that one gets to see Kenny G's concert in Blu-ray or for that matter even on DVD. A great artist, good selection of songs and decent video quality that is let down by poor quality of audio. Even in DTS-HD MA the sound is shockingly poor! What were they thinking?

Nowhere on the Blu-ray does it mention where this Blu-ray disc is mastered and made. The sound quality is comparable to the shabby & shoddy media that is mastered & manufactured in South American countries. I avoid them like a plague!

This is the kind of Blu-ray that one watches only once because the sound quality so uninspiring that you may never play it again especially if you have a decent 5.1 A/V playback system. I do have a few discs that are worse than this concert. What a waste of efforts, time and money. Do yourself a favour, watch this concert on YouTube and you would not miss a thing!

Musical Fidelity - V-PSU MKII - Upgrade Power Supply
Musical Fidelity - V-PSU MKII - Upgrade Power Supply

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as impressive as the original V-PSU, June 24, 2013
I bought the original Musical Fidelity (MF) V-DAC in 2009 and I was really impressed with what that little DAC did to my system back in the day. The supplied Switch Mode Power Supply (SMPS) wallwart was really lightweight & was of poor / cheap quality. Upgrading to the original MF V-PSU gave me very good results. The V-PSU had a large toroidal transformer at the heart of it & it was built like a tank. I bought it from UK at a discounted price of approximately USD130. It was a worthy upgrade for that discounted amount.

Early in 2012, I bought the V-DAC II & yes it was an improvement over the original V-DAC. But what I did not like about the V-DAC II is the cheap 'Brushed Aluminium' finish which MF claims has better perceived quality. Lol. It stands out like a sore thumb in modern black colored systems. The supplied stock wallwart with V-DAC II was an improvement over the original wallwart, it is much heavier & is well built. I'm not sure if this new wallwart is a SMPS or if it has a small transformer inside it.

I bought the MF V-PSU II from Amazon when the price dropped to USD130 & it was shipped by Audio Advisor. I bought this in the hopes of improving the performance of the MF V-DAC II in my desktop / headphone system. The first thing I noticed about the MF V-PSU II is how lightweight it really was when compared to the original V-PSU. I then plug it in with the MF V-DAC II & I'm not as impressed as I was with the original MF V-PSU when it was first introduced in my system. The improvement is very marginal at best & it did not have quiet the same impact in my system like the original MF V-PSU.

I then open the MF V-PSU II's case & I'm surprised to see that this new PSU no longer uses a 'toroidal transformer'. In fact, it uses a small laminated transformer much smaller than the one used inside the 'Pangea Audio P-100'. If I had known this I would have gone with the Pangea Audio PSU & saved myself USD60. Even the aluminium case used in the V-PSU II is an afterthought. The circuit board is no longer held by the 03rd & last grove inside the case, it is held by just 02 screws on the side plate. See the pictures I've posted in Amazon. In short, the new PSU circuit board has been forced to fit an old V-Series aluminium case. Never expected such a flimsy job from MF!

I can't imagine how MF was selling the V-PSU II at a M.R.P. of USD250. At that price, I would have surely given it a 1 star for extremely poor value for money. After getting to try the Beresford Bushmaster & Audioquest Dragonfly DACs, recently, in my system, I'm now convinced that Musical Fidelity's V-Series no longer has any value or shine left. This is my 06th V-Series component in the last 04 years & quiet possibly the last one too. For USD130, the MF V-PSU II is currently cheaper in the US than it is in the UK. It does a decent job of making my desktop system sound a little more polite / refined. It also saves me the clutter of having 03 ugly wallwarts sucking the juice off the power strip!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2013 2:11 PM PDT