Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Kids Halloween
Profile for Barno > Reviews

Barno's Profile

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Barno "A fan of good movies" RSS Feed (St. Paul, MN)

(500) Days of Summer
(500) Days of Summer
DVD ~ Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Price: $4.81
141 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Still thinking about this movie a month later, December 3, 2009
This review is from: (500) Days of Summer (DVD)
I hate romantic comedies. If they actually have some comedy in there, they are watchable but the relationships are often based some some kind of ridiculous premise that doesn't resonate at all with me. To call this a romantic comedy seems quite misleading. This movie was funny at times. Well directed, at times...A little gimmicky at others. Very well acted by the two leads. The thing that I loved about this movie is that it is completely true to life. It wasn't like "The Break-up" where you have to suffer through the couple arguing through the entire movie. They show (in a very clever way) the highs and the lows of Tom and Summer's relationship. I find myself still thinking about the two leads as if I was in their shoes (We probably all have been on one side or the other in our lives). What do I think of them? What do I wish she would have done differently? What could he have done differently? I don't know. One of those movies that I can't stop thinking about.

Flight of the Conchords: Season 1
Flight of the Conchords: Season 1
DVD ~ Jemaine Clement
Price: $13.49
124 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars It took me a little while..., August 29, 2008
I watched the first episode and was luke-warm towards it. A week or two later I was still thinking about it. When I put the dvd back in, I decided to watch episode #1 again before moving to episode #2. The 2nd time through, I loved it. I don't know what changed. I think the series just may take a little time to get used to.

Sports Night: The Complete Series 10th Anniversary Edition
Sports Night: The Complete Series 10th Anniversary Edition
DVD ~ Peter Krause
Offered by Serenity-Now
Price: $187.99
12 used & new from $69.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Sports Night finally gets a proper dvd set, July 10, 2008
I was the first one to buy the barebones dvd set that was released a couple years ago. That boxset will now be going to one of the many friends who has borrowed it over the years. Thankfully we finally get a feature filled release of this great show. The features look interesting, especially the comments from the real Sports Center anchors.

As for the show, it is just great. The acting is well above what you see on most television shows (especially at the time). Of course Robert Guillaume (Benson) is great. Several of the actors have gone off to make their name on other shows, highlighted by Peter Krause and Felicity Huffman. I am waiting for Josh Charles to get his big break. His character Dan Rydell, was easily my favorite on the show.

The writing is excellent. Aaron Sorkin certainly lives up to his reputation here. The dialog is fast paced and enjoyable. It can get repetitive at times, but it never bothered me. I love the rhythm that the characters use to talk to each other. Especially Dan and Casey. Although the show is funny, it is more a "dromedy" more then a "sit-com". The show bounces between serious issues and comedy usually quite naturally. There were a couple of story lines that I could have lived without, but overall the episodes are engaging, humorous, and very well done. Sports Night is a great show. I highly recommend it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2008 8:18 AM PDT

Settlers of Catan Event Cards by Mayfair Games
Settlers of Catan Event Cards by Mayfair Games
Offered by math-n-stuff
Price: $25.00
4 used & new from $25.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A different way to play Catan, June 26, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have been playing Catan for several years now. My brother, myself, and my parents play every time we get together. So, when I saw this variation I was excited. We finally played it last weekend and the reviews were mixed.

My brother, myself, and my mom loved the variation. My dad hated it. It does change the game a lot, and you need to adjust your strategy accordingly. All of the numbers are represented as they should be. There are six 7s, five 6s and 8s, four 5s and 9s, three 4s and 10s, two 3s and 11s, and one of each 1 and 12. 36 cards total. They give you a "New Year" card that instructs you to reshuffle the deck and start again from the top. The instructions tell you to put 5 cards face down and then the "New Year" card on top of them. Basically you take 5 cards out of deck for that round. It adds a little randomness. When we played, we added more randomness (for my dad) by simply shuffling the "New Year" card in to the deck.

Knowing what numbers will come up changes your strategy. There really isn't a point of putting yourself on an 11 and hoping the dice will save you. Two 11s will come up each time through the deck. You can predict what numbers will come up based on what has already come up. This should change where you put the robber and where you put your cities, if you keep track of the cards that have come up.

So, depending on what kind of games you enjoy you may or may not like this variation. For me, the game was much more "fair" and each player was still in it at the end. I have seen too many games where the dice determine the winner of the game. I get frustrated by this, so I welcomed the cards. My dad is a gambler and enjoys the luck factor. He appreciates the randomness that the dice provide.

I don't think I will play with the cards every time, but it is yet another welcome variation to the Catan game. My favorite is Cities and Knights.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2009 9:30 AM PDT

Dr. Katz Professional Therapist - The Complete Series
Dr. Katz Professional Therapist - The Complete Series
DVD ~ Jonathan Katz
Offered by newbury_comics
Price: $56.99
18 used & new from $56.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, am I excited about this, August 21, 2007
I remember watching this show late at night with my college roommates and laughing hysterically. Over the past few years, I have been looking for it. I was happy with the first two seasons coming out of DVD and caught a few episodes on Comedy Central "On Demand" through my cable. I was not disappointed. It is still hilarious. It looked to be in jeopardy of being shelved, but thankfully the full-set is coming.
For anyone wondering, the animation is crude, bordering on annoying. But that isn't the selling point. It could be a radio show and it would be hilarious. About 1/2 of the show takes place in Dr. Katz's office as he has therapy sessions with well known stand-up comedians. Most of it is them doing some of their stand-up material and Dr. Katz reacting. This is the most hit or miss part of the show for me. 75% of the comedians are funny. Big names too. Ray Romano, Dave Chappelle, Jon Stewart, Wanda Sykes, Sarah Silverman, etc. The part of the show that never missed for me was the storyline surrounding Ben Katz. Perhaps my favorite character of all time on television. He never misses. He makes me laugh every episode. His interactions with Dr.l Katz, Laura (the receptionist), and anyone else he encounters are very funny.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2010 11:48 AM PDT

Ted Alexandro: As Much As You Want
Ted Alexandro: As Much As You Want
DVD ~ Ted Alexandro
9 used & new from $5.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very funny, December 15, 2006
I went to support a friend on amateur night at the local comedy club. The headliner of the show that night was Ted Alexandro. I had never heard of him before that night, but I was very pleasantly surprised. He is polished and his material is outstanding. Any fan of stand-up comedy should enjoy this dvd.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Beauty in the Breakdown, August 18, 2004
I told my friend as we were walking out of the theater that it was an A- movie. After sitting with it for a few hours I have upgraded it to an A. Many movies suffer from giving away too much in the trailers. Why do I want to see a movie when I can predict everything that is going to happen? This movie, however, suffers a bit from the opposite. There has never been a trailer that has sucked me in the way that one did. It was so visually appealing and left so much to the imagination. I imagine that any movie that fits around those beautiful scenes is going to be somewhat disappointing. However, the extremely high expectations that I had going in were met for the most part.

Garden State, like great movies before it such as High Fidelity and Beautiful Girls, wrestles with accepting a flawed reality rather then searching for a non-existing fantasy. This movie took this a step further I believe. It asks it's charactors to embrace reality rather then simply accepting it. I would like to quote Nat's charactor Sam, but having only seen the movie once, I would butcher the line. She encourages Largeman to be able to laugh at himself. The other main charactor Mark says that He is "okay with being unimpressive". We don't know if he believes himself or not, but he is only 26 and in no hurry to figure it out. This theme runs through all the charactor, young and old and I found it to be well done.

Much of the story revolves around Largeman and Sam, with frequent appearance from Largeman's friend Mark. I have found with movies similar to this one, the charactors are much more important to my enjoyment of the film then the story is. I thought Zach Braff did a great job of creating these charactors and the acting was outstanding. The dynamic between Sam and Large was great. Two complex charactor finding their way into each other's lives. I found the charactor of Mark to be quite intriguing. He was likable and dislikable at the same time. The real winner here was Natalie Portman's, Samantha. This is what we knew she was capable of when we watched Beautiful Girls, before George Lucas got ahold of her. Her charactor was funny and sweet and fragile and just all around beautiful. Zach Braff wrote a great charactor and Portman really pulled it off.

This movie has a lot of great moments, but It didn't have one moment for me when I knew I would love this movie for a long time. That is what may keep this movie out of my top three. There are a lot of great moments, but just not that one for me. The movie also didn't have a slow moment for me either. Some other movies like Eternal Sunshine or Lost in Translation that I really liked had portions of the movie that dragged. I didn't get that with Garden State though. The movie moved from really funny moments to really beautiful moments with with ease.

All in all, a very impressive debut from a young and talented film maker. I am a bit biased because I may be the biggest Scrubs fan out there, but I give this movie an A and look forward to more from Zach Braff and Natalie Portman in the future.