Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Eric W. > Reviews

Browse

Eric W.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Eric W. RSS Feed (Canada)

No Place Like Home, Thank God: A 22,000 Mile Bicycle Ride Around Europe
No Place Like Home, Thank God: A 22,000 Mile Bicycle Ride Around Europe
by Steven Primrose-Smith
Price: $13.99
19 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable read!, July 1, 2015
An amazing spirit of adventure while traveling huge distances by bike, with clever insights and a wonderful sense of humour. A very enjoyable read.

It's All About the Bike: The Pursuit of Happiness on Two Wheels
It's All About the Bike: The Pursuit of Happiness on Two Wheels
by Robert Penn
47 used & new from $0.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable!, November 20, 2011
This book was a great, quick read. I loved the research, humour, and passion shown by the author. Well done.

The Man Who Cycled the World
The Man Who Cycled the World
by Mark Beaumont
Price: $13.16
74 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing feat, but..., November 20, 2011
I think what Mark did was incredible and I admire him greatly for his accomplishment. However, I too found the book repetitious. What bothered me most was his negativity. While I appreciate that this was a difficult undertaking, it seemed like he had a negative spin to put on most of his anecdotes and the many people who helped him. One example: when he arives drenched to a motel that is closed on Christmas day in New Zealand, the kindly owner not only opens up a room for him, but also offers him a meal of Christmas leftovers. His take on it is, "It was one of the best Christmas dinners I have ever had. It wasn't a particularly fantastic meal ..." Why mention that? The lady did you a kind favour and saved you an 8km trip in the pouring rain to find your own food on Christmas Day. He is also quite critical during his trip through the U.S. At one point he eats at a Wendy's burger restaurant and decries the lack of veggie options. While I'm no fan either, every Wendy's I've been to had many options for salads. He seemed to have given up on being a vegetarian before he even left Europe anyway, partially after realizing that it would not provide him with the calories and nutrition he required fo his trek.
So, while I wanted to enjoy this book a lot more I can only offer it 3 stars. I haven't seen the tv program, but perhaps that would give me a better impression.