Profile for Mir > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 338

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mir RSS Feed (North Miami Beach, FL USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Cinder & Ella
Cinder & Ella
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely retelling of Cinderealla that NEEDS TO BE A MOVIE...very touching and made cry sad and happy tears, both., February 21, 2015
This review is from: Cinder & Ella (Kindle Edition)
I wish they'd make a movie of this. This was a lovely, creative, touching, sweet retelling of the Cinderella tale with a contemporary setting, an entertainment blogger, a movie star, a tragedy, family issues, and a crack climax and amazingly happy ending.
This is not just for teens. I'm middle-aged and was swept away by the story. I used up a lot of tissues, too, weeping at the sad parts and then bawling with joy at the happy turns of events.

You will LOVE this story if you love romances and fairy-tale retellings.

Hollywood or HBO or Showtime: MAKE THE FILM!!!

Wild Naturals Eczema & Psoriasis Cream, with Manuka Honey + Aloe Vera + Shea Butter + Coconut Oil + Hemp Seed Oil, 4 oz.
Offered by Prime Effects
Price: $29.95
2 used & new from $23.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful moisturizing, soothing, thick cream good for sensitive skin (mine is crazy sensitive), February 14, 2015
Very moisturizing and soothing for dermatitis (atopic) that I have on my neck/upper chest and cheeks (recurring). I've got so many sensitivities, I can't use most makeup or face creams. I tend to use Lubriderm Sensitive for my after-shower barrier protection on damp skin, and Eucerin Calming when I need something thicker (dry days, rashy days).

The flare on my neck got so bad that I needed something new. (I didn't want to resort to prescription or OTC steroids like I had for decades past). I tried several from the health food store (homeopathic, herbal, natural ones) and bupkis. I decided to order this from Amazon due to the good reviews. I used it frequently: every 2 hours. It covered well, soothed, lessened redness, gentled itch. By two weeks, I was hugely improved. One month later, my skin is normal (except for the hyperpigmentation from repeated rashes, which this cream won't fix, anyway.)

This and Era Organics face and eczema creams in the 4 oz jar (I ordered all three) are identical, as far as I can tell, in feel, smell, and ingredients. Era Organics has a very responsive owner (Tyler). Buy any of them for good results, whichever is priced better at time of purchase, and both offer money-back to folks will if it doesn't help the eczema. Check each for time frame for refunds (Era Organics is 60 days and this one has no limits, but look at comments section for particulars).

I use this a few times a day now, even though the flare subsided, to keep the skin protected and smoothed.

Now, product particulars: it's a thick, white cream, like a paste. It smells like cocoa butter. It spreads well and is not sticky. Don't wash off the excess from your fingers: rub them in to moisturize cuticles. (Wash hands before dipping into the jar, as you don't want to contaminate it needlessly.)

A very good product. If I knew who supplied Era Organics and Wild Naturals, I'd see if I could find a less expensive supplier, cuz this is very good stuff.

Make sure you apply FREQUENTLY if you have an eczema flare--every hour or two. It will help, but you have to stay away from soaps (sulfates, harsh cleansers), and keep the area "barrier" protected. Apply before bed. Apply immediately after showering or bathing. Don't rub hard. It will help.

Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2015 9:12 PM PST

Era Organics Face Moisturizer Cream (4oz) Advanced Healing Natural Moisturizer with Aloe Vera, Shea Butter, Manuka Honey, Cocoa Butter, Coconut Oil and More for Dry, Damaged, Oily, Sensitive Skin. Paraben Free, Hypoallergenic, Non-greasy Formula.
Offered by Era Organics
Price: $24.99

I've been using the Era Organics cream (this and the eczema seem identical in smell, appearance, behavior, so I am reviewing both with the same time span/use) for about a month, and I can finally and honestly review it on how it worked on my latest eczema flare:

A bit of background. I'm a highly allergic type person, since childhood. There are many things I cannot use or eat due to my severe sensitivities. I also have an AI condition that makes me prone to pains and skin issues--dryness due to the hypothyroid and eczema due to the AI and dermatitis due to the allergies. So, basically, I"m a mess. I've tried many very expensive creams for my aging skin (I'm 55), but most also cause me a reaction--no matter how hypoallergenic or high end--so I end up using Lubriderm sensitive and Eucerin Calming most often.

However, I had an eczema flare on my neck/upper chest (started in 2012, and calms/flares periodically). I did NOT want to resort to prescription steroid or even OTC cortisone creams. So, I bought 4 different ones at the health food store. They helped VERY little.

I decided to try this one. I was skeptical, but the reviews were good and the ingredients didn't seem to be problematic (although I worried about the algae component, as I am sensitive to iodine and seafood of all kinds.)

I used it every 2 hours for the first couple weeks, then every 4 hours. Now, I apply 2 or 3 times a day as maintenance. The result: incredible softening of skin and soothing of it. The redness began to reduce in less than a week, the itching lessened. After two weeks, very much relieved. Now, about a month later, my neck looks and feels much better and I haven't scratched or burned for over two weeks. It feels normal to the touch. I do have hyperpigmentation from recurrent flares, and this cream can't fix that, but having the rash/itch/redness gone is lovely.

So, is this a miracle cream? No. Is it useful? YES! It did not affect a hypersensitive person such as I am, which is saying a lot. It helped a lot. Much more than the other creams and homeopathic stuff I tried. (I even tried straight, pure medical-grade Manuka honey, which was a sticky mess, but that stuff is good; and this cream contains some, which is good.)

I figure if you have a rash/eczema/etc and are tired of the skin damaging steroids--and I used them for years and years--try this. If it doesn't work, just use it as a moisturizer. But it's surely worth a shot.

Proof I liked it: I ordered 3 jars that arrived this past week, using the promo code here on Amazon. I'll take any savings I can get! My sister also has eczema and dermatitis issues, so I'm gonna gift her a jar and see how it goes.

Now, the physical/smell of the cream: It's a thick, white cream (almost like a paste). It smells like cocoa butter. It applies nicely and is not sticky. It does have a light "layering" effect, so while I use it on my face when I'm at home, I'm less likely to use it under makeup, where the cream can pill a bit if you rub in foundation, cream blush, etc. I have used it as an undereyes/crows-feet area cream, since I can't use anything there other than Lubriderm (for 15 years, due to hypersensitivity). This one has not given me any dermatitis/reaction. None. Just soothing. The cocoa butter smell dissipates, so I don't find it annoying at all. But if you hate the scent of cocoa butter, you will not like it.

This is a jar, so you need to use hygiene techniques: Wash hands well with soap before dipping fingers inside and keep tightly closed between uses. I have my new jars in the fridge, since I don't know how well they will last outside of refrigeration. The ingredients seem pretty stable, and the jar I opened a month ago is still fresh in look and smell.

Note: There is another product on Amazon that's an eczema cream with identical ingredients, smell, and look. I bought it along with the Era Organics one and they seem to be the same (similarly priced, too). I'd keep an eye out on which has a better price (with the discount, right now, it's Era Organics, unless you buy the 8 oz jar by Wild Naturals, in which case you do get about 9 bucks o fa savings.)

Also, seems to be the same formula as the other Era Organics cream that comes in the same type jar (the one for eczema). Go with either one, whichever is priced better or has a discount promotion.

A VERY good cream for sensitive and fussy skin--very calming and soothing and softening without the weird ingredients of steroid creams. I recommend it.

I will note that the owner, Tyler, seems to be highly responsive to customer issues. So, if good customer service is a priority for you, definitely feel at ease with Era Oganics. And I don't know Tyler personally, but I've seen his comment replies here on Amazon, and he's on top of customer complaints and issues.

RECOMMENDED PRODUCT
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2015 5:12 PM PST

Era Organics Eczema & Psoriasis Cream (4oz) Advanced Healing Moisturizer for Dry, Sensitive Skin. Unique 10-in-1 Formula with Aloe Vera, Shea Butter, Manuka Honey, Coconut Oil and More. Fragrance Free, Hypoallergenic, Non-greasy Treatment for Instant and Long Term Relief.
Offered by Era Organics
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful cream--soothing, softening, aesthetically pleasing. Helped my eczema flare a lot. Smells like cocoa butter., February 13, 2015
I've been using it for about a month, and I can finally and honestly review it on how it worked on my latest eczema flare:

Now, the physical/smell of the cream: It's a thick, white cream (almost like a paste). It smells like cocoa butter. It applies nicely and is not sticky. It does have a light "layering" effect, so while I use it on my face when I'm at home, I'm less likely to use it under makeup, where the cream can pill a bit if you rub in foundation, cream blush, etc. The smell dissipates, so I don't find it annoying at all. But if you hate the scent of cocoa butter, you will not like it.

Also, seems to be the same formula as the other Era Organics cream that comes in the same type jar (the one for the face). Go with either one, whichever is priced better.

RECOMMENDED PRODUCT

Fire HD 6, 6" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers, Black
Fire HD 6, 6" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers, Black
Price: $99.00

5.0 out of 5 stars My fourth Kindle--and my fave so far for reading (good browsing, too; meh camera), February 11, 2015
I got the Citron (yellow) 6" with 8gb and offers. It's a bit heavy for size (I don't mind, as I have two first gen Kindle Fires that are hefty). I like the crisp screen (much nicer resolution than my other readers). I love that I can highlight in various colors (the Kindle Fires I have only have yellow). The response is faster than the previous Fire readers. A little TOO responsive as highlighting is a little trickier getting it to take without the screen jiggling at a touch; and any tilt to the side tilts the screen. Very quick response, but that might be annoying for some who like to lied down to read.

I used the browser and it took me to web pages just fine. No problem.

I got a reasonably priced MoKo case for it in bright blue (which looks great with the yellow edging). Fits great.

So far, very happy with the look, response.

Camera: sucks. The camera is serviceable, but don't expect iPhone or Samsung quality shots. It's still nice to have that app function.

I only regret not upgrading to more memory. Otherwise, love this. And I already am using the new BOOKERLY font that is Amazon-specific.

Kindles rock!

MoKo Amazon Kindle Fire HD 6 2014 Case - Slim Folding Cover Case for Amazon Kindle Fire HD 6 Inch 2014 Tablet, BLUE
Offered by BSCstore
Price: $16.99
2 used & new from $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Blue, Functional, NICE!, February 11, 2015
A good, reasonable price for a cover for my Kindle 6" HD. The Kindle fit in easily and perfectly. The blue color is just beautiful--eye-catching, easy-to find in my purse, pretty. I like the "bungee" cord to keep it closed. It doesn't feel as luxurious as my leather covers for my other readers, but I wanted something inexpensive. And this does the trick.

Yes, I'd recommend this.

Holman Study Bible: NKJV Large Print Edition, Saddle Brown LeatherTouch Indexed
Holman Study Bible: NKJV Large Print Edition, Saddle Brown LeatherTouch Indexed
by Holman Bible Staff
Edition: Imitation Leather
Price: $68.95
24 used & new from $62.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern look with traditional features, easy on the eyes, lots of charts/maps/notes, beautifully done: a winner!, February 9, 2015
A gorgeous study Bible, loaded with goodies. The text is 9.5 point size. The Bible dimensions: With my ruler, these are the approximate dimensions in inches: 7.5 inches wide/10.5 inches high/2 1/4 inches thick when cover is closed. It's weighty , as you may expect with a study bible of larger print (larger, not giant or superduper large) with generous notes. I have attached three photos: 1. a page with a chart from the O.T.; 2. a two-page spread including the first page of 1 Timothy, showing a map, a photo, and introductory paragraph; and 3. a close-up of a page of the book of Psalms so you can see the text and the notes.

All the books follow the same format: a page with a large title of the book, short information on the book, and a photograph that relates to the book in some way (eg. modern day ruins of Ephesus for the book of 1 Timothy). Then a two-page spread with more prefatory information on the book (author, background, message, purpose, structure, etc). Across the bottom of the two page spread is a timeline that connects to the people and events of each book (ie, for Genesis, birth of Abraham, death of Joseph, etc.) Then the next page(s) will have an outline of the book.

Charts, articles, and maps are nicely included and relevant and easy to use and attractive. The colorful maps embedded in some books (Exodus, Acts, etc) are wonderful--you don't have to flip to the back to see the pertinent ancient lands/cities/boundaries. They are close by.

In the prefatory pages, there is an article on how to study the Bible and one page with the plan of salvation (helpful, especially, if you are gifting this Bible to someone not yet committed to Christ.)

The layout is nice and unfussy. The font selection clean. It has a modern look, even if the traditional elements. I still needed my reading glasses to read it, but it's much easier, even with readers, to read this bit larger print. I appreciate it.

There are two ribbons--so you can mark an OT spot and a NT spot. Nice.

The usual end maps and concordance are present (not an exhaustive concordance, naturally). There is also a Bible Reading plan, with checkboxes to keep you on track. (Use a pencil to mark the boxes, so that you can erase and reuse.)

The cover is an attrative two-tones of brown, but not real leather (animal lovers, rejoice) ; and the words of Christ are in red (I know some folks balk if they are in regular dark ink.) The study notes are helpful without being too scholarly/obscure.

A lovely, lovely, useful Bible. A delight. RECOMMENDED!

(Note: when I added the disclaimer to this as an "edit," the photos got eliminated. It's a glitch that Amazon has. Can't keep the photos if you edit. Sorry. If you'd like to see some pages of the Bible and view it more extensively, see the comments section for the url to the video I made. An inexpert one, but it will give you a better idea of how it look and what it contains.)

Disclaimer: I was going to pre-order this as a birthday present to myself (my birthday being this month), but had a chance to get it free for review. So, while I had intended to buy it for myself, I was happy to get a complimentary copy. This did not impact my review: I have reviewed this lovey Bible truthfully. But, there it is. I didn't pay for my copy. I would have, though. :)
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2015 8:54 PM PST

thinkThin High Protein, Chocolate Fudge, 2.1-Ounce Bars (pack of 10)
thinkThin High Protein, Chocolate Fudge, 2.1-Ounce Bars (pack of 10)
Price: $15.99
17 used & new from $14.76

3.0 out of 5 stars Too bad it uses maltitol, flavor is fine for a high protein bar, chewiness is pleasant: It's okay. :D, February 6, 2015
Bought these to carry in my purse for when I need a protein hit between meals. They taste okay--like a protein bar denser, drier version of 3 Musketeers (that's how my first taste of them hit me, 3 Musketeerish, but not fluffy and with that protein-bar aftertaste).

I really hate that they use maltitol (stuff is murder on the gut). So, I only eat 1/2 a bar at a time. If you are sensitive to sugar alcohols (you know what I mean, the gassiness and runny poopiness), I'd reconsider these or just have 1/3rd or 1/2 at a time. I'd never risk a whole bar.

It's hard to find a tasty gluten-free protein bar, and while I prefer soy-free, too, I don't eat this that often. A box lasts me quite a while. Quest has a better ingredients profile, but I find them just too hard and too chewy and I'm not a fan of their flavors. (Hubby loves two of their flavors, but I find one too hard and one too sweet). This one's not overly sweet, but the ingredients profile is not ideal.

Maltitol sucks. Oh, well.

Still, a useful bar for the GF crowd.

Note: You should try a single bar from the store before buying a box. And pay attention to reviews. Some third party vendors must have sold old product (grey, stale, white, powdery). I, unfortunately, have learned that some vendors come here to sell very stale or damaged stock....let Amazon know right away when this happens.

Schar Chocolate Sandwich Cremes Cookies, 5.3 Ounce (Pack of 12)
Schar Chocolate Sandwich Cremes Cookies, 5.3 Ounce (Pack of 12)
Price: $33.87

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing texture and flavor, February 2, 2015
A disappointing offering from Schar. I buy several Schar products and enjoy some of them a lot (the multigrain ciabatta rolls, the baguettes, the deli sliced read, the sub rolls, the vanilla wafers, the hazelnut wafers, for example.)

These fall into the "not so much" camp for me. The flavor is kinda odd, not very chocolatey. It's got a very crumbly texture. Just kind of a fail. I can recommend a some Schar items for the gluten free crowd, but not this one.

Schar Vanilla Wafers, Gluten Free, 4.4000-ounces (Pack of 6)
Schar Vanilla Wafers, Gluten Free, 4.4000-ounces (Pack of 6)
Price: $18.73
5 used & new from $18.73

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sub for regular wafers...I"d buy again, January 31, 2015
These are pretty good. The vanilla taste is pleasant. The texture is a bit crumblier/less wafery than regular, but hey, it's GF. For folks who like vanilla wafers and miss that particular crispy, layered sensation, these are nice with tea or coffee. I find them a bit too sweet, but that's me and we all have different sweet tolerances. 3.5 stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20