Profile for Amanda Erickson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 54

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amanda Erickson RSS Feed (Chesapeake)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Fever: A Novel
The Fever: A Novel
by Megan E. Abbott
Price: $14.62
59 used & new from $12.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern Day Salem Witch Trials, July 10, 2014
This review is from: The Fever: A Novel (Hardcover)
I read two other novels by Megan Abbott, my favorite of those two being "Dare Me." Set in a small town with gloomy weather, The Fever is reminiscent of the Salem Witch Trials, but set in the age of cell phones. As in The Crucible, we have teenage girls at the center of the hysteria. The Fever transported me back to high school, with all its awkward desperation, lecherous boys and mean girls. Wondering what was causing the fever kept my attention and I enjoyed it as a good summer read.

Bittersweet: A Novel
Bittersweet: A Novel
by Miranda Beverly-Whittemore
Price: $15.81
70 used & new from $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Beach Read, July 10, 2014
This review is from: Bittersweet: A Novel (Hardcover)
This entertaining novel was a nice summer diversion from heavier reading. It somehow reminded me faintly of Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld, although Sittenfeld is arguably the better writer (American Wife). In Bittersweet, we're transported to a compound of lake cabins in Vermont, where of course, there is a mystery to solve. Our heroine is a poor girl when compared to her wealthy hosts. Furthermore, they are blond and svelte, and she is not. What they all have in common are their personal secrets. And yes, there is a little romance. If you want a fun beach read, or if you ever wanted to summer in a cabin on a lake in New England, this might be for you.

The Divorce Papers: A Novel
The Divorce Papers: A Novel
by Susan Rieger
Price: $19.08
70 used & new from $11.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed the audio version., July 10, 2014
A fun, different summer read. I listened to the audio version of this book, which was well read. In audio, it moved along at a decent pace, and it was nice to read an epistolary novel for a change. I wound up hoping the wife would make out OK, despite her cheating and unearned privilege--a testament to the author's skill. I liked the character of the young lawyer, Sophie, and was rooting for her to win. The side relationships were interesting enough, especially the inter-office conflict. Some of the legal steps were what I would expect, but despite the ugliness of divorce, this was light enough for a summer read. A fun way to step into that world. I take away one star for the somewhat-unbelievable little girl character and the constant mention of eating double porkchops, ugh.

Delicious!: A Novel
Delicious!: A Novel
by Ruth Reichl
Price: $17.06
87 used & new from $13.34

1.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness I didn't buy this., July 10, 2014
This review is from: Delicious!: A Novel (Hardcover)
Childish, gross and full of oblivious characters who think they have great palates but don't really think about who they're eating. The author should watch the free film Earthlings and wake up.

Valentines: Stories
Valentines: Stories
by Ólafur Jóhann Ólafsson
43 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Icelandic Shorts, June 20, 2014
This review is from: Valentines: Stories (Hardcover)
I took this book on vacation with me, and it was like a box of chocolates. Each story was like a little vignette of Europe. I also read "The Journey Home" by Olafsson which was good, but I like this little volume of shorts even better. Like a little armchair trip to Europe.

Life After Life: A Novel
Life After Life: A Novel
Offered by Audible, Inc. (US)
Price: $19.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly Written Moments in History, June 20, 2014
I listened to the Audio version and it was one of the best audio readings I've ever heard. The story goes back and forth in time a lot, and by the end, I was convinced that I would have been lost had I tried to read it in physical book form. Really perfectly written and read and inadvertently, a wonderful history lesson.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2014 12:57 PM PDT

Pocket Posh Crosswords 8: 75 Puzzles
Pocket Posh Crosswords 8: 75 Puzzles
by The Puzzle Society
Price: $6.96
55 used & new from $3.64

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Life's Little Pleasures, April 8, 2014
These Pocket Posh are the best. Compact, cool-looking and perfect. I always order an extra one to have on hand for a gift. Perfect to bring someone in hospital too!

Vedge: 100 Plates Large and Small That Redefine Vegetable Cooking
Vedge: 100 Plates Large and Small That Redefine Vegetable Cooking
by Rich Landau
Price: $16.92
80 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Easy Cooking, April 8, 2014
Had one of the best meals of my life at the Vedge Restaurant in Philadelphia, so bought the cookbook. Made three recipes so far and they all taste just like what we had at the restaurant. I had no idea the recipes would be so simple! Made the roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Creamy Worcestershire Sauce, and I will make them for company. I actually smashed the leftover potatoes and used the leftover sauce on them and they were amazing the 2nd time around too. My husband kept talking about the Brussels sprouts at the restaurant so then I made the Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Whole-Grain Mustard Sauce. Yes, it took ten minutes to clean and cut up the sprouts, but the rest of it was so fast and possibly the best sprouts I've had. I will say it again made too much sauce, so we used the leftover sauce on sandwiches. The third recipe I made is the Salt-Roasted Golden Beets with dill, avocado, capers and red onion and I did cut the salt down on that one. In the restaurant, they stack this beet dish and serve it with smoked tofu. I just served it loose, as they show in the book, and made my own maple smoked tofu to go with it. The crazy thing is these dishes are so simple to make but so complex in flavor. The sprouts are reminiscent of a warm Caesar salad, smoky and rich. The beet salad tastes almost like a tuna salad or like it somehow had a cool, crisp crabmeat in it, it kind of blew my mind. I'm a vegan blogger, I blogged two of the recipes, and this is now my absolute favorite vegan cookbook. The other nice thing is the size of the book and the lack of a pesky dustjacket, it's perfect to set on the counter and has a soft low-gloss finish on the cover that I was able to wipe clean. Love it love it love it.

NOS4A2: A Novel
NOS4A2: A Novel
by Joe Hill
Price: $10.77
92 used & new from $5.44

3.0 out of 5 stars Good But I Could Do Without the Fantasy, March 27, 2014
This review is from: NOS4A2: A Novel (Paperback)
Reminded me of Stephen King and Dean Koontz. I get the whole Bram Stoker award and everything but in this case, I feel the book would have been better without the fantasy, it would have been much more chilling. Good story but the unrealism took a lot away from it for me.

Dare Me: A Novel
Dare Me: A Novel
by Megan E. Abbott
58 used & new from $2.24

4.0 out of 5 stars A Somewhat Unusual Murder Mystery, March 17, 2014
This review is from: Dare Me: A Novel (Hardcover)
After reading "The End of Everything" by this same author, I decided to try this one too. We see everything through the eyes of high school cheerleader Addy. In her best friend Beth, we have that one dark character who is merciless. I no longer have the book, but I recall Beth sitting up in the bleachers like a vulture, watching and waiting for her chance to feed upon the ruination of others. As we move toward the conclusion, it does get better and better, and I also liked the writing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6