Profile for Kevin Vertucio > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kevin Vertucio "kevinv033" RSS Feed (Philadelphia, PA United States)

Page: 1 | 2
VW Bora / Jetta Mk4 / Golf Mk4 / Polo 9N Non-slip Chrome Style Pedal Cover for Manual Gear
Offered by OR-Max Store
Price: $15.33
7 used & new from $7.40

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubber is WAY TOO SOFT!, November 20, 2014
These are terrible. The rubber is too soft and they slip off of the pedals...Spend the extra money for OEM.

Surviving a Year: 12 practical steps for doing the "do" 365 days in a row
Surviving a Year: 12 practical steps for doing the "do" 365 days in a row
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, inspiring and motivating read!, November 20, 2014
I wish this was out 5 years ago! I've tried mindlessly entering into a 365 photo project so many times, I lost count. My main problem was that I didn't have any direction or a plan. This book breaks things down into 12 simple tips to help you stay on track. I'm grateful that this is in Kindle version so it's always going to be in my pocket.

Nikon D700 12.1MP FX-Format CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only) (OLD MODEL)
56 used & new from $750.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wedding Photographer switched from Canon 5D Mark II, August 30, 2009
What can I say that hasn't been said?

I am a wedding and portrait photographer and I was not very happy with Canon's "update" to the venerable 5D. Video? Yeah that's nice to have, but I was very unhappy with the AF performance, shutter black-out and comfort. Anyway, back to the D700.

The big feature Nikon has implemented that brought me over to the "Dark Side," were external AF-mode controls, extra configurable buttons, the ability to customize the camera's controls to MY liking, the ability to shoot 8fps with a battery-grip and 8 AAs (necesssary for me? Hardly, but very nice to have the option), general camera ergonomics. I was planning on keeping my Canon gear since I had mostly L prime lenses that Nikon just doesn't have. I thought I be able to stay in both camps. After using the the D700 for over a month, I decided that even if my Canon primes were far more advanced than the Nikkor counterparts, it was better to sell off the Canon gear that was just sitting and not getting any use. A hard decision, but it just made sense to me.

The camera feels very solidly built (compared to the 5DMK2 - no creaking on the battery door). Feels much more comfortable in the hand. There is a nice little finger indentation that helps me hold on better. My hands don't feel cramped after a long day of shooting. AF performance is very accurate. The AF sensor with 51-points is HUGE. So glad that they didn't keep this AF system in the flagship bodies.

I can't say anything bad about the D700. It's just a very well designed and built camera. Nikon is really doing it right with their camera bodies and flash system. Now they just need to focus on their prime lenses.

If you're a Canon shooter and considering the jump, you'll have to assess the cost of the switch. Thankfully, I was able to recover 80-90% of the cost of my gear. If you have L primes, you'll have to consider that Nikon doesn't have equivalents. I find that the Nikkor primes I use are about as good as the Canon primes I gave up. Sometimes I miss the USM on my primes, but the AF speed is acceptable to me so far.

No regrets, I am now a happy Nikon shooter.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have if you use Pocket Wizards, August 26, 2008
I have the Sekonic L358, but I bought it without this module thinking I didn't really need it. I managed for a short while...You have keep a PW transmitter in your hand (or camera around your neck) to fire the strobes and the meter in your other hand where you want take a reading. I becomes quite awkward when you need make any adjustments to your strobes since you have let these things hang around your neck or put something in your pocket. This little module actually frees up your hands and you can keep your heavy camera from swinging around your neck while you make adjustments.

If you plan on using a light meter a lot and choose the L358, do yourself a favor and get this module with it. This module will make your life a lot easier and save you some time in the end.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2013 12:45 PM PDT

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM SLR Lens for EOS Digital SLRs
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM SLR Lens for EOS Digital SLRs
Price: $649.00
55 used & new from $440.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good wide angle lens for Canon 1.6x FOVCF cameras, August 26, 2008
I have owned this lens for just over a year. While it is not my most used lens, it does get some action. The images from my copy are quite sharp, have good color and contrast. The image quality is on par with all of my L lenses, but the build is not. The lens is very lightweight and small. I find that I use this lens from about 14-22 most often as the distortion between 10-14 is too much for me to handle. I use this lens mostly for landscape, interiors and environmental portraits.

I would recommend this lens to anyone sticking to Canon's 1.6x camera bodies who needs something extra wide. If you are planning on adding or going FF (and distortion is your archenemy), I would suggest getting the 17-40L. It is comparable in price and is compatible with FF cameras.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Joby GP3 GorillaPod SLR-Zoom Flexible Tripod
Joby GP3 GorillaPod SLR-Zoom Flexible Tripod
Offered by WeiHang star
Price: $18.82
59 used & new from $18.82

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for off-camera flash, April 25, 2008
I bought this last year to use on hikes where I didn't want to carry a tripod. It's not as stable as I had hoped, but it works out ok as long as you don't have a heavy kit on it. I have a 20D and use heavier 2.8 zooms...this seems to be a little too much weight for SLR camera support, as it just doesn't hold on surfaces that I had in mind when I bought it - railings, branches, anything round. I have found an alternate use for it though...

I mounted a swivel adapter on the gorillapod and attached a flash and Pocket Wizard to it. This is the nice alternative to using a superclamp. While it's not as stable and sturdy as a superclamp, it's a little more forgiving and will allow you to stick a flash just about anywhere. It also works much better than the normal "flash" hotshoe stands as you can spread the legs for more stability.

I imagine this would be great for a smaller DSLR kit, like a Canon Rebel series or Nikon D40/D50 and lighter lenses. I was a little disappointed with it at first and almost returned it, but it has earned it place in my kit as a flash clamp.

Tamrac 5547 Adventure 7 Photo Backpack (Gray/Black)
Tamrac 5547 Adventure 7 Photo Backpack (Gray/Black)
Offered by Outdoor Photo Gear
Price: $99.95
6 used & new from $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for a hike...unless you want to bring your 70-200/2.8L (IS), September 5, 2007
I bought this bag after much research. I wanted a small-ish backpack that I could carry a Canon 20D, a flash and 3 lenses--one being the 70-200/2.8L IS. I normally carry a flash, pocket wizards, the 17-55/2.8, 35/1.4 or 10-22, and the 70-200. The bag does very well holding everything but the 70-200/2.8. I tried to configure it so that the 70-200 lays flat in the bottom, but the inserts that are supplied do not work for that. I do have extra inserts from another bag that I can use, though.

The inside of the bottom compartment is about 7.25 inches deep, while the 70-200 is about 9.0 inches with the rear lens cap on (8.25 without). That's nearly 2 inches that the bag material has to stretch if you use the rear lens cap. The bag is well constructed, but if used like this everyday, not sure how long the stitching and zipper would last. The 70-200 will fit with minimal stretching if you remove the rear cap. Tamrac claims you can carry a 1D-series body with lens attached and 2-3 other lenses...I think those lenses have to be primes or standard zooms.

The top portion has enough room to carry a snack, a single set of pocket wizards, some extra batteries and lens hoods. You could stick a rolled-up sweatshirt by itself or with minimal accessories. It holds enough up there, but I wouldn't want to carry any lenses up there.

Aside from the "gear" compartment being a tad too small for the 70-200, I found the rest of the bag to be more than adequate for things I wanted to bring along. Including the two net pockets on either side that can be used to hold water bottles.

On a recent day trip, I was able to carry the 20D, 10-22, 35/1.4L, 100/2.8 macro and a 580EX II in the bottom portion with a little room to spare. Up top I stowed the 10-22 hood(/hat) and various other accessories and some snacks. The shoulder straps are very very comfortable. The padding on the back is also a welcome feature. With that much gear, a shoulder bag would have given me some strain, but this backpack spread the weight well. I was able to hike through some technical terrain without feeling off balance.

Overall, this is a great bag. It is a good value for money. Well constructed, reinforced seams. It should hold up to some abuse provided it's not overstuffed and putting excessive strain on the seams. It doesn't fit the 70-200 the way I would like, but that's personal preference. Not every trip calls for that lens and if it does, then I will just have to use a bag that it fits in.

If you're looking for a small photo backpack and not carrying large zoom lenses, then this can't be beat for the price. If you are looking for something to carry those zooms, maybe have a look at the Adventure 9.

Shark Professional Series Intelligent Electronic Iron, GI490
Shark Professional Series Intelligent Electronic Iron, GI490

2.0 out of 5 stars Great product if you can get a good one., February 22, 2007
I purchased one of these after using my mom's iron. She's had hers for nearly 2 years. The steam output by this iron is amazing. The 10-foot power cord makes life much easier. It's thumb-operated temperature button is a nice touch. Just about everything about this iron is great--if you get a good working copy...

Sadly, I didn't get a good one. After just 2 days, the steam mysteriously stopped emitting from the lower vents. It also started to leak. I think that Euro-Pro needs to take a good hard look at their quality assurance. I returned it and will purchase another brand. I don't recommend anyone buying this until they fix the QA issue.

Tokina AT-XAF124DXC 12-24mm Wide-Angle Lens for Canon
Tokina AT-XAF124DXC 12-24mm Wide-Angle Lens for Canon
Offered by TOKYO CAMERA / WorldWide Shipping
Price: $719.38
9 used & new from $289.00

4.0 out of 5 stars High Performance Ultra-wide for crop sensor camera bodies, December 16, 2006
Looking for an ultra-wide angle lens for your Canon crop sensor camera? This is one to consider. The lens itself is built to high standards. It's a hefty combination of glass and metal. It feels like this thing can withstand just about anything. The image quality is nothing to scoff at. At 12mm wide-open it is a little softer than I would like at the corners, but as you stop down this decreases. Throughout the rest of the focal range this lens is quite sharp.

At the time of purchase, I considered this and the Canon EFS 10-22--the Sigma 10-20 and Tamron 11-18 just didn't have the rave reviews that the Canon and Tokina shared. Both to me had very comparable image results. Aside from difference in cost, the constant f/4 was one of the contributing factors to me buying the Tokina over the Canon.

If you are considering the Tokina lens, I think that you won't be making a mistake. This is a quality performer at a reasonable price. As with all photo equipment, you should test it out at your local camera store to see if it's for you.

Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Medium Telephoto Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Medium Telephoto Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
Price: $419.00
50 used & new from $310.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Portrait Lens, December 7, 2006
What can I say about this that hasn't already been said? I'll try. The is one of my favorite lenses in my kit. The combination of focal length and fast aperture make this perfect for portraits, small-venue events and I imagine indoor school sports. The image quality of this lens is what you would expect from a prime -- sharp. I even find it sharp wide-open with good color and contrast. The bokeh is silky smooth as is should be with it's 8 blade aperture.

Quite possibly one of the best non-L lenses Canon manufactures. The build is fairly solid. Not too heavy of a lens, but balances well on my 20D so hand holding at lower shutter speeds isn't to bad (as long as the subjects don't move). At this price there is no reason the EF 85mm f/1.8 should be absent from every Canon owner's bag -- unless of course you have the cashflow to fund the 85mm f/1.2L.

Buy this lens now. You will not regret it.
Comment Comment | Permalink