Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Reviews Written by A Customer RSS Feed
Logitech Alert 750e Outdoor Master Security Camera System with Night Vision (961-000337) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by IsaacTronics
Price: $999.00
2 used & new from $799.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the Secure Feeling I Was Hoping For, May 20, 2012
I purchased the Logitech Alert 750e Outdoor Master System in March after my property had been vandalized. The set up was not as easy as some reviews make it seem. I am not a tech person, but I'm also not an idiot. I downloaded the software carefully following the instruction guide, located dedicated outlets, properly positioned the network adapter and power supply, and went through the business of installing the wall mount on my front porch. After all that, the software couldn't "locate" the camera despite numerous attempts. I fiddled with the router and worked backwards through the instructions to troubleshoot the disconnect only to have to call customer support. After walking me in and out of my front door between the camera and my office desktop, the rep finally suggested that I reset the camera with a paper clip. Fine. The camera and software were communicating at last. I just wish he had suggested that in the first place. That only took about two hours; not quite how I would describe "easy set-up." I also would have appreciated it if Logitech were a bit more specific about necessary tools for installation, i.e. what size drill bit to use would have been helpful instead of trial and error. In addition, an extra pair of hands would've been clutch when I was trying to mount the camera on the wall.

Aside from the less-than-stellar set-up experience, I am none too thrilled that the power supply is connected to an outdoor outlet which also happens to be a GFI outlet. This did not present any problems in the first month, but when I recently attempted to run Alert Commander on my computer to view the previous night's recordings, it shut the camera down. When I called customer support, I was told the system doesn't like GFI outlets. I can't say that I know of anyone who doesn't have outdoor GFI outlets for code/safety reasons. It was recommended that I try an extension cord to see if that will rectify the problem. I don't have an extension cord in the house that isn't already in use and the thought of running a cord through a front window or door to another outlet is just not an acceptable solution especially given what I paid for the system. It looks like my only option will be to drill a hole through the exterior wall to run the cable from the porch into a living room outlet which I'm sure is easier said than done. As it stands now, the camera is running without benefit of the software, text alerts, or much else to recommend it. And I am praying that it is actually recording to the SD card otherwise the thing is all but useless to me until I can find a more agreeable resolution to the problem. I'm also not thrilled about the business of climbing up on a ladder to retrieve the SD card which essentially announces to the neighbors and everyone else, "Here's the camera. Come help yourself to it and the memory card! Just make sure you unplug it first."

On one last note, the night vision proved to be pretty poor, and in some instances, completely failed to detect and record any activity come nightfall which, of course, is when most of the shenanigans occur in my neighborhood.

All in all, it seems ridiculous that Logitech would make a GFI-incompatible outdoor camera which they recommend plugging into an outdoor outlet (as pictured in the instructions) many of which are GFI as required by electrical code. Logitech Alert 750e Outdoor Master System has brought me little to no peace of mind since installing it. I would recommend that anyone considering the system take a long, hard look at the product and its system requirements (dedicated, non-GFI outlets) to determine if it will in fact address their own home security needs or be more of a headache than its actually worth.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2014 6:09 PM PDT