Profile for JJCEO > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

JJCEO RSS Feed (Greenwood, Indiana)
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (#1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dark Parables: Rise of the Snow Queen Collector's Edition (Full)
Dark Parables: Rise of the Snow Queen Collector's Edition (Full)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful graphics and storyline and the app is worth getting and playing!, October 31, 2014
I fell in love with the games from Big Fish Games. I wound up purchasing most of the paid full versions because of the great storylines and spectacular graphics. There are a couple of issues that you should be aware of before you purchase this app.

1. This app will only download to my new Kindle Fire HD and not to my other Kindle Fires or any android table I own.
2. The app is large and needs 463Mb of storage area to down load the game and to store your play data.

This game was literally one the best detective puzzle games I have ever played. This app takes you to the world of the mystical and myth and you have to save children from the Snow Queen and it is excellent. This developer has the best graphics and storylines that I have seen in these types of puzzles. They have a dark theme and you have to work hard to rescue the children from the Snow Queen and her father. I have to tell you that I had to use the hint button once in a while and the Player Quide a lot. The Player Guide provides you a walk through on how to play each level and even using it I enjoyed the app immensely.

Playing this game and finishing it took me over a day as I took my time and rested my eyes between hours of playing. I could not put it down and stop playing it. I played it on a Kindle Fire HD 2014 version. It played perfectly with no problems at all. The web page says that the app has in-app-purchases but aside from an early offer to purchase more games I saw no pushing of any IAPs.

The game features excellent graphics, character dialog,
music, sound effects, CGI video graphics and storyline and plot. The game as I mentioned is large but it is worth purchasing and playing it. It also takes a while to download and you have to have a solid WIFI connection at a good speed to download it.

Its list price is $2.99 and I paid it because I knew the quality of the app after playing other mystery adventures from Big Fish Games. I now know how good these apps are and that IAPs are not required to win the game. The bonus game you get after you win the main app is called Hansel and Gretel and it is far better that most of the apps you can purchase on Amazon. I loved the game and I highly recommend it to you.

ExpertPower® Rechargeable 12V 7AH Sealed Battery (BLMFM12_7)
ExpertPower® Rechargeable 12V 7AH Sealed Battery (BLMFM12_7)
Offered by ExpertPower
Price: $17.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked perfectly in my home alarm system and it arrived well packaged!, October 30, 2014
Length:: 2:48 Mins

I have purchased several of these styles of batteries from Amazon in the past and I used this one in my home alarm system as a backup power source. One thing that I immediately liked is the way this battery arrived packed. It came in a cardboard box lined with high density Styrofoam and the battery was wrapped with bubble wrap that was taped shut. It was in perfect condition. One battery I had purchased from another supplier came in a US Mail envelope and it looked like it had been rolled on the ground all the way to my home. I was shocked that it wasn't broken and leaking.

This battery arrived in perfect condition and its voltage level was 12.92 VDC. It was the exact physical size as the battery I replaced in my home alarm system and the installation took about 10 seconds. This is a good battery and it worked perfectly in my alarm system. I rated it at 5 stars.

I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation. A review was not promised to the supplier in exchange for the sample but I stated that if I provided a review that it would be fair and honest.

Ivation Water Resistant Shockproof Bluetooth 4.0 Speaker w/IPX7 Waterproofing for Full Immersion in Water, Handsfree Portable Speakerphone with Built-in Mic, 6hrs of playtime, Control Buttons - Enjoy Your Music & Phone Calls in True Stereo - Rugged, Shockproof Enclosure & Integrated Buttons (Orange)
Offered by DBROTH
Price: $69.99
2 used & new from $69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It has a solid performance for a Bluetooth, water resistant speaker with good sound!, October 30, 2014
Length:: 7:38 Mins

This is a very good waterproof Bluetooth speaker for home, office, travel and use on vacation. It is certified to IPX7 which means that it can be submerged to depths of 1 meter for 30 minutes with no ingress of water. It is also dust and dirt resistant. It can connect to your MP3 player using its Bluetooth 4.0 system and in my testing is had a range of 30 to 35 feet shooting through 2 walls of my home. You can also use your own 3.5 mm plug stereo auxiliary cable to connect a device that does not have a Bluetooth option.

The speaker has a built in Lithium battery that is rated at 2200 mAh at 3.7 VDC and it can play your music for up to 9 hours uninterrupted. It takes about 3 to 4 hours to charge using your computer's USB port, a USB wall charger or a USB car charger.

The sound quality is good out of the speaker with solid bass and clear treble. It uses a dual cone speaker system with a passive subwoofer built into the speaker case.

This speaker has locations on the back to attach a lanyard and it would be a nice speaker to hang in your shower to allow you to listen to your music or radio broadcasted from your phone or tablet. Just make sure that the silicone flap that coverers the charging input port and the auxiliary input port is securely pushed down and sealed to maintain the water proof rating of the speaker.

Everything worked well on the speaker except the use of the speaker as a phone remote. When someone called me I could hear them clearly and loudly. On their end of the call my voice was very low and hard to hear. I switched places and it was indeed low, even when they picked up the speaker and spoke directly into the front of it. The speaker has a built in microphone but it was really muted in its volume pickup.

In my video I show how to use the speaker and pair it with Bluetooth. I also made voice control phone calls and that feature worked fine. Overall I liked this speaker a lot. As a speaker to be used as a phone remote it is a 3 star but as a Bluetooth waterproof speaker it is a 5 star. I rated it overall as a 5 star item because of its capability to be used around water.

Fruit Ninja
Fruit Ninja
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Full of adware, GPS tracking and In-App-Stores selling items that cost up to $400 for Ghost Buster collector items!, October 30, 2014
This review is from: Fruit Ninja (App)
This app is the perfect example of how a company writes a good app that becomes very popular and then out of arrogance they ruin it by making it totally invasive into your data, location and pushes popup ads at you. I got this original app 17 months ago and I deleted it because of all of the invasive software in the app. In addition to finding your device ID, account data and precise GPS location it contains 7 Adware programs, In-App Billing, Facebook, Google Cloud Messaging and Amazon Analytics. The GPS portion is simply to push focus ads at you based on your location.

After the first game it is asking you to connect to your friends to see their scores. There are also pop up ads for more Halfbrick games and merchandise. There is also a popup to go to the Ghostbusters store and purchase items that cost up to $400. If you ask it to start the second game it pops up with a large colorful ad to touch to download another game! This is to get your children to touch it and download more spyware. Make sure that you do not give this app to your children as they can run up an expensive bill for you. The app does play with the airplane mode turned on and that turns off your WIFI.

The app contains the following Adware.
* AdColony
* GreyStripe
* InMobi
* Millenial
* MobClix
* MoPub
* Vungle

Permissions:
* Read phone status and identity
* Approximate GPS location
* Precise GPS location
* Modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
* Find accounts on your device
* Receive data from network
* Prevent tablet from sleeping

The app installed 103MB into my device memory. I manually moved it to my SD card and it left 17.99MB in the device memory and transferred 99.62MB onto my SD card.

PS. I deleted it again after doing this review.

Gobliiins Trilogy
Gobliiins Trilogy
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A massive game that installs at 900MB but with good graphics and a few problems!, October 29, 2014
This review is from: Gobliiins Trilogy (App)
After downloading and installing the app which took 369MB of memory the app had to unpack its software code. Downloading the app an installing it is a long process because of its size. If you are trying to use your mobile wireless phone carrier you will have issues. After unpacking the app expanded to 900MB in size with 16.39MB on my device memory, 352 MB of applications on my SD card memory, 12KB in my device memory of data and 531MB of SD card data. This is a massive program that uses a lot of space. If you do not have a lot of memory left on your device you will have issues installing this app.

When the app opens you can select one of three games in the trilogy, Gobliiins , Goblins 2 or Goblins 3. In Gobliiins you have three characters. They are all goblins but one is a wizard, one is a technician and one is a warrior. The instructions are not very good until you realize that you have to touch the funny looking skull in the upper RH corner. When you do a list of options will pop up and one of them is Hints. You will love Hints. I have to use them a lot.

This is a role playing game and you can only move and use one goblin at a time. You can also only carry one item at a time. You will find and collect items like a horn, tree branch, pick axe and a diamond. Moving through the game is slow but it is possible when you can use the Hints to help you. The graphics of the app were much better than I expected and the FX sound effects and music are well done. As I returned to the house the app failed and shut off my Samsung Tab 4 tablet. I restarted the app and a pop up appeared asking me to rate the app.

For me the game is slow moving and it is difficult to get the goblins to do what you want even when you know what the task is supposed to be. I am playing on an 8 inch tablet and I feel that this would be hard to do on a smart phone for example. I rate the app at 3 stars. It is nicely designed but I cannot give it a higher score because of its massive size, the crash at the end of one level and the difficulty of moving and using the characters.

If you have the space on your device and a good WIFI then you should get this app as a FAOTD. The graphics are better than you would expect and perhaps you might really like the app.

* Pair with Bluetooth devices
* Wake lock the tablet

The app contains no adware or malware in it so it is safe to download.

This app is large at 333MB listed on the Amazon web page. It actually installed 369MB with 16.39MB going into my device memory and 352MB going onto my SD card memory. It split and installed automatically. When the app uncompressed it is a very large 900MB in size.

SHARKK® Android 4.4 Quad-Core Smartphone / 4G HSDPA+ / GSM Unlocked / Dual SIM / 5.5" Display / 8MP Camera / Orion SHARKK® Orion Max Powered by POSH
Offered by SHARKK
Price: $109.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A very nice high end phone with a quad core CPU and a large 5.5 inch screen!, October 28, 2014
Length:: 7:44 Mins

When I first opened up this phone I was surprised at the similar physical characteristics of this phone to the new smaller iPhone 6. This SHARKK phone is a bit larger with a bigger screen. This phone actually has a 5.5 inch diagonal screen. It resolution is 540 by 960 Pixels. This is an exceptional phone with excellent performance and specs. The phone by itself only weighs 7 ounces.

It arrives with a full set of accessories that includes:
* The phone itself
* Stereo earphones that are good. They have good sound. They are 50 inches long to the closest earbud and 62 inches long to the furthest earbud. There is button on the headphone cable that is a mute button when you are on a phone call and a pause and play button when you are listing to audio such as music.
* A silicone case
* An AC wall charger that will operate on 100 to 240 VAC and 50/60 Hz. Its output is 5 VDC at 700 milliamp.
* A 3.7 VDC 2100 mAh internal lithium battery that is replaceable.
* A charging cable that is a USB to Micro USB cable that is 40 inches long. It can also act as a data cable to connect the phone to your computer. You can use it to directly load data, music, photos and video to your phone or SD card.
* One clear screen protector for the phone.

To properly start up the phone you will need a micro SD card and I recommend a 32 GIG size with a speed of class 10. You will also need a SIM card and in my case I used an ATT on-the-go card to avoid a more expensive data plan. The size of the card is what AT&T calls a Mini SIM. Each minute of a phone conversation costs 10 Cents and a text message costs 20 cents for incoming or out going. Photo texts cost 25 Cents. If you purchase an on the go card for 10 dollars the 100 minutes will expire in 30 days. A $25 card's 250 minutes will expire in 90 days and a $100 card's 1,000 minutes will expire in one year. I don't intend to use a data plan which would cost $40 per month minimum cost. This phone quickly and easily connects to the internet and you can download apps, music, videos and books via the use of the WIFI option and that is how I will use the phone.

The phone quickly and easily attached to my WIFI system and the speed was excellent for browsing and down loading items. I show a speed test result in my attached video. I got 18.08Mbps download and 2.54 Mbps upload and I am paying for 18 download and 2 upload so the test results were very good.

This is a full featured smart phone with all the capabilities that you would expect from a smart phone costing 2 to 4 times as much. It can handle dual SIM cards and an internal Micro SD card for expandable memory. It will accept up to a 32 GIG Micro SD card size. I installed an ATT on the go SIM card and the phone instantly recognized it and set itself up to the ATT network.

The screen is 5.5 inches in diagonal and has a resolution of 540 by 960 pixels. It also supports multi-touch. It is a capacitive touch sensitive screen that displays in 16 million colors. The unit has dual cameras with a rear camera of 8 Mega pixels and the front camera is a 1.3 Mega pixel quality (My operation scan of the phone stated that the front facing camera is a 2.1 megapixel camera.). You can take photos or videos with either camera. The rear camera has a built in flash. The camera features focus and zoom capability.

The phone has a nice built in speaker that actually sounds very good. It includes full vibration, an acceleration sensor, light sensor, and proximity sensors for your game playing. The phone is extremely fast and I downloaded a lot of games, apps and Kindle books to test the unit.

I used benchmarking software to test the phone to get an independent but verifiable test other than just my personal opinion. This phone scored a benchmark of 18864 for the model X550A. The RAM was rated excellent and the 2 D graphics were rated good. The 3D graphics were rated good and the phone is capable to fluently support most games.

The phone uses Android operating system 4.4.2 (KitKat) and it has a Quad-Core CPU operating at 598 to 1300 MHz. The CPU has the ability to sleep unneeded cores and adjust the CPU clock rate to conserve battery power. It offers Bluetooth capability and I tested that feature by connecting to several sets of Bluetooth speakers and the connection was fast and easy to set up. The on board speaker of the phone is not bad at all.

The unit comes with RAM storage of 1GB and a ROM storage of 4GB. I installed a 32 GIG SanDisk Micro SD card class 10 for my testing. I recommend a 32 GIG class 10 card. I show some details in my video of the SIM and SD card locations.

This phone is fast and powerful. I down loaded 43 Apps from Amazon using the Amazon Appstore. I also downloaded many books using the Amazon Kindle App and I played songs using the Micro SD card I installed. I also played MP4 videos from the memory card. I played songs from my library using both the included headphones and then a Bluetooth speaker that I own. It all worked perfectly and sounded good.

Nice features:
* Built-in GPS
* Bluetooth
* Usable as a hot spot if you contract for a data plan with a wireless phone carrier.
* Fast WIFI connection - I got 18.08 Mbps download and 2.54 Mbps upload. Those are max speeds using a wired connection and I was using a WIFI connection.
* Built in FM radio with excellent reception. You have to use the earplugs as they act as an antenna for the radio. The tuning was very easy and the sound of the stations was clear and good.
* The phone supports video calls using the front facing camera.
* An easy set up for email.
* The ability to allow you to use both the Amazon App Store and the Google Play Store gives you a lot of access for apps and games.
* The ability to lock the phone using a password
* Plays and records videos. It is great for watching movies.
* When I plug the phone into my computer's USB port the computer worked using the USB Mass Storage mode. This does not work on some Android KitKat phones and tablets but it worked fine on this SHARKK phone. It allows me to directly transfer videos, music and files to the phone's Micro SD card without removing the SD card from the phone and I just have to use a Micro USB cable to connect the phone to the computer.

* Ability to read Kindle eBooks which is nice.
* Built in alarm clock
* Calculator

Cons:
* Bluetooth is called WHT in the setup menu - this will be fixed according to SHARKK.
* The instruction manual is just OK to use.

This is a good phone with excellent performance in the CPU and screen resolution area. It is also good in the speed of the RAM, and in the 2D and 3D graphics. The phone has a lot of features. I am impressed with its performance. For an unlocked smart phone selling at this price it is a good buy. This is a good phone and it is ideal for an on the go type of SIM Card service without a contract. It is ideal for a teen that can't afford the high price of an unlocked phone with a data plan and a monthly service fee that can range from $40 to $750 per month for a 1 GB to a 100 GB data plan. Use the WIFI and get 1000 minutes of phone calls for $100 per year from AT&T using a SIM Card. You can even text with the SIM Card at 20 cents for each incoming and 20 cents for each outgoing text or 25 cents for a photo text message.

I recommend this as a good buy. This phone is unlocked and it connected instantly with an ATT SIM card. I rated it at 5 stars.

Gehenna Dawn: Portal Wars I
Gehenna Dawn: Portal Wars I

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid Sci-Fi story that is well written!, October 28, 2014
Sci-Fi is my favorite genre along with a good horror story. I enjoyed this book as it is a good balance between Sci-Fi and military action. Jake Taylor is sent to another planet to fight an alien menace and help protect Earth and those he loves. He didn't volunteer, he was forced to join to save his family from the government's excessive taxation to support the war. He is sent to a planet that is a true hell. The planet has two suns, no night and an environment so hot the many soldiers die of the heat. The aliens use androids to fight for them and the earth forces are outnumbered and fighting an alien race with superior technology. Jake is not expected to live but he is expected to die quickly and be replaced by more inexperienced soldiers that are also forced to go to Gehenna.

Jake survives and becomes a legendary soldier. A soldier's life expectancy on Gehenna is measured in hours or days and he has become a leader that has survived 5 years. He is selected to be converted into a super soldier with enhanced biomedical implants and nanotechnology that gives him super human strength and senses. Is that enough to defeat the aliens and if they do what is the point as he can never return to Earth.......

This is a very good story and I enjoyed reading it. The military action and the life of a soldier fighting another world is interesting and you can see the challenges they face. The author has done a good job of developing the characters and also presenting futuristic warfare. The book also covers the future political situation that is a key component to the life on earth, on other worlds and how the war is conducted.

I liked the story and I rated it at 5 stars.

Can You Escape Ads Free
Can You Escape Ads Free
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a good time burner. It is challenging and fun., October 28, 2014
This review is from: Can You Escape Ads Free (App)
This is a good escape game that is fun to play and find the clues and tools to help you get off of the floor of the building you are on and get to the next one. The key to the game is to touch everything and find all of the tools and clues. Pay attention to everything like numbers and colors and they are clues. This is a nice app but it only has 10 levels. After playing 4 you are asked to rate the app.

I rate the app at 4 stars because it is only 10 levels. I also wish it would transfer to my SD card memory and save my device memory.

Under the options button and on the main screen are buttons to select and purchase more apps released by the developer.

* Disable your screen lock
* Prevent tablet from sleeping

This app does not contain adware or malware so it is safe to load onto your device.

This app installed 53.68MB into my device memory and none onto my SD card memory. This is not acceptable as the app specifically asks to be able to have access to my SD card. I cannot manually transfer the app to the SD memory.

Frederic - Evil Strikes Back
Frederic - Evil Strikes Back
Price: $3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Good graphics and storyline but the musical notes out of the keyboard are just electronic generated noise!, October 26, 2014
This review is from: Frederic - Evil Strikes Back (App)
In the app you are to travel and face competition in playing a keyboard. The app has four levels of challenge at Too Easy, Normal, Hard, and Chopin. Even on the Too Easy level I could not keep up with the speed of the musical notes coming down the screen. One odd thing is that I would expect the keyboard to play music but every keystroke produces only a screeching noise on my Samsung Tab 4. It in no way resembled music and actually gets on my nerves. Why make a music app that doesn't sound like you are playing music?

The graphics are very well done and the animation and storyline is not bad. I couldn't figure out if the keyboard noise is a software error or it is intended to be that way but it is not enjoyable to listen to at all.

If the keyboard would play real musical notes I would have given this app a 4 or 5 star rating but as it is it is barely a 2 star as it stands. The developer needs to clarify whether this is a software glitch and when it will be fixed. The app did install and it worked except for the musical notes out of the keyboard.

* Prevent tablet form sleeping

The app installed Amazon Insights Analytics but with the limited permissions it is harmless and it monitors your behavior in the app and software issues. It also does contain Amazon GameCircle.

The app is very large in size at 258.8MB which may not be good for some devices with limited memory. At this size it takes some time to download and install so you will have to be patient. The app actually installed 298MB with 15.34MB in my device memory and 282MB installed onto my SD memory card.

Box It! 2
Box It! 2
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad game but it has a lot of Analytics and adware built in that seems to be inactive!, October 25, 2014
This review is from: Box It! 2 (App)
Not a bad game but difficult on some levels. I am sad to see all of the garbage adware in the game and multiple analytics programs but they have been inactive after many levels of play. I will give the app 3 stars. It would have been a 4 star without all of the trash in the code. You never know when it might be turned on with an update.

In this game your character pushes large stones out of the way and onto pressure pads. Think before you move the stones as you can block future moves that you will need to make. After you move all of the stones properly gems will appear and you have to move quickly to gather them up for points. They will soon disappear.

You earn gold for completing a level. If you mess up and have to start over you have to pay gold coins to do so. Unfortunately it is easy to bump a stone, as the controls have a little bit of lag in them, and you can push a stone into a spot that will force you to restart and spend some of your gold. You can press the back button to move back but the additional steps count against you.

The game is more difficult than it looks and it is easy to get stuck on a level. I have had to use all the gold that I earned and start over and over and over.

This app contains the code for four adware programs. They are AdColony, Amazon Mobile Ads, Millenial and VSERV. These adware programs can collect personal data it you allow it in the app permissions and in addition it collects data when you click and go to an advertised web site. So far though I have not seen any ads pop up.

The app also contains 3 analytics programs. They are Amazon Insights, Flurry Analytics and Google Analytics. These analytics programs collect behavioral data while you play the game. They also track software issues but you don't need three of them. The app also includes the software code for Facebook and Google Play Services. The presence of these items was verified by two different pieces of scanning software.

* Control vibration
* Prevent tablet from sleeping

The app installed 19.18MB into my device memory and I manually moved it to my SD card. It left 6.3MB in my device memory and transferred 15.38MB onto my SD card memory.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20