Length:: 8:19 Mins
Nitecore is well known for their high quality flashlights and torches. They are quality products and they come with very good product warranties. This unit is no exception and it has some amazing features that I really like. It is suitable for use in your home or office, as a tactical flashlight outdoors while camping and in a self-defense mode.
This is a smart flashlight as it will even tell you the voltage charge level on the battery. When you press the tail switch button and the two side buttons simultaneously the red LED will blink. When it flashes 4 times, pauses one second, and flashes 2 times it means that the battery is fully charged at 4.2 VDC. This is a fast and easy way to see what condition the battery is in and if it needs a charge. The flashlight can use CR123 batteries and it will take two of them. I don't recommend using them as they are expensive, have a shorter life when compared to the 18650 battery and they are not rechargeable. Using the 18650 batteries will take the place of a thousand of the CR123 batteries over the life span of the rechargeable 18650 battery and save you a lot of money!
The flashlight has multiple modes of operation. There are two buttons on the side of the flashlight and one is the light mode up and the other is a light mode down switch. A quick press down of the tail switch power button will turn on or off the flashlight. If the flashlight is off a 1 second press of both mode buttons puts the flashlight into a standby mode and the red LED will blink once every 3 seconds. This makes the flashlight easy to find in the dark. The 18650 battery will last over 6 months in this mode. You also have direct access to the very low red LED mode of the light and the Turbo mode.
These are the various lighting modes and the brightness and running times using a fully charged 18650 lithium ion battery that has a capacity of 2600 mAh:
* Turbo 460 lumens for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Note: After 3 minutes in the turbo mode the flashlight will lower its light output to prevent overheating and ensure the battery's runtime.
* High 210 lumens for 4 hours and 45 minutes
* Mid 100 lumens for 12 hours
* Low 20 lumens for 60 hours and 45 minutes
* Lowest (Very Dim) 1 lumen for 480 hours - long life for emergencies.
* Next comes a red LED mode
* Below that is a red flashing beacon (pulse) LED mode
* In addition the flashlight has a Strobe mode for self-defense to blind an attacker
* SOS mode
* Pulse location mode which is a bright burst of light every 2 seconds so rescue worker could find you.
* The light is very bright when on the higher modes. Do not shine it into someone's eyes as you can damage their vision. It will also get warm.
This flashlight has excellent specifications for being used outdoors. It has a drop resistance of 1.5 meters or 4.92 feet. It is also waterproof and submersible to IPX-8 which means to a depth of 2 meters. Just make sure that you properly reinsert base cap and tighten it down properly. I show that in my video. In addition maintain your flashlight by cleaning the threads with a soft rag and applying a light coating of silicon grease to the threads every 6 months. To insure proper operation also make sure that the front of the flashlight is screwed down tightly.
The silicone grease does three important things:
1. It helps maintain the waterproof rating of the flashlight
2. It protects the threads and prevents the aluminum from galling and cold welding itself together. This could make it impossible to disassemble the flashlight should this occur.
3. This flashlight uses O-ring gaskets and the silicon grease protects the O-rings and keeps them from rolling and tearing.
The crystal lens is an ultra-clear mineral glass to provide good optics for the flashlight. The reflector is a deep well smooth mirror surface that will throw the turbo beam up to 180 meters or 590 feet.
The flashlight weighs in at 4.27 ounces with the battery installed. The body of the flashlight is made of high quality aircraft aluminum and it is professional black anodized to a HAIII military grade to resist corrosion. The side of the flashlight is knurled which makes it easy to hold and provide a good gripping surface for your hand. The base of the flashlight is flat so the light can stand up in the candlestick mode which is great for camping or emergencies. You can sit it on a table and light up an entire room.
What's in the box?
* The flashlight
* An instruction user manual
* Spare O-rings
* A spare tail cap switch cover.
* A wrist lanyard with a sliding tightener to secure it to your wrist. This is a nice feature to help keep you from dropping the flashlight into a lake or river for example. It also helps you to carry the flashlight with gloves on to make sure that you don't drop it.
* A ballistic nylon belt loop flashlight holster that also has a plastic ring on it that you can hook a carabiner to so you can clip It to a backpack for example.
* A plastic 18650 battery storage box that will hold two spare 18650 batteries (Batteries not supplied).
* The unit comes with one 18650 battery that is rated at 3400mAh. It is a protected battery that is rechargeable over 500 times and it can take the place of over 1000 CR123. The flashlight can operate on the supplied 3400 mAh battery or you can use two CR123 batteries that are not supplied. I highly recommend that you use the 18650 battery as you will save a lot of money and get better performance out of the flashlight. I recommend that you purchase a good quality 18650 battery charger as it will pay for itself many times over.
* The flashlight also comes with a 5 year 60 month repair warranty.
I rated this flashlight as a 5 star item.
I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation. A review was not promised to the supplier in exchange for the sample but I stated that if I provided a review that it would be fair and honest.