Length:: 7:44 Mins
When I first opened up this phone I was surprised at the similar physical characteristics of this phone to the new smaller iPhone 6. This SHARKK phone is a bit larger with a bigger screen. This phone actually has a 5.5 inch diagonal screen. It resolution is 540 by 960 Pixels. This is an exceptional phone with excellent performance and specs. The phone by itself only weighs 7 ounces.
It arrives with a full set of accessories that includes:
* The phone itself
* Stereo earphones that are good. They have good sound. They are 50 inches long to the closest earbud and 62 inches long to the furthest earbud. There is button on the headphone cable that is a mute button when you are on a phone call and a pause and play button when you are listing to audio such as music.
* A silicone case
* An AC wall charger that will operate on 100 to 240 VAC and 50/60 Hz. Its output is 5 VDC at 700 milliamp.
* A 3.7 VDC 2100 mAh internal lithium battery that is replaceable.
* A charging cable that is a USB to Micro USB cable that is 40 inches long. It can also act as a data cable to connect the phone to your computer. You can use it to directly load data, music, photos and video to your phone or SD card.
* One clear screen protector for the phone.
To properly start up the phone you will need a micro SD card and I recommend a 32 GIG size with a speed of class 10. You will also need a SIM card and in my case I used an ATT on-the-go card to avoid a more expensive data plan. The size of the card is what AT&T calls a Mini SIM. Each minute of a phone conversation costs 10 Cents and a text message costs 20 cents for incoming or out going. Photo texts cost 25 Cents. If you purchase an on the go card for 10 dollars the 100 minutes will expire in 30 days. A $25 card's 250 minutes will expire in 90 days and a $100 card's 1,000 minutes will expire in one year. I don't intend to use a data plan which would cost $40 per month minimum cost. This phone quickly and easily connects to the internet and you can download apps, music, videos and books via the use of the WIFI option and that is how I will use the phone.
The phone quickly and easily attached to my WIFI system and the speed was excellent for browsing and down loading items. I show a speed test result in my attached video. I got 18.08Mbps download and 2.54 Mbps upload and I am paying for 18 download and 2 upload so the test results were very good.
This is a full featured smart phone with all the capabilities that you would expect from a smart phone costing 2 to 4 times as much. It can handle dual SIM cards and an internal Micro SD card for expandable memory. It will accept up to a 32 GIG Micro SD card size. I installed an ATT on the go SIM card and the phone instantly recognized it and set itself up to the ATT network.
The screen is 5.5 inches in diagonal and has a resolution of 540 by 960 pixels. It also supports multi-touch. It is a capacitive touch sensitive screen that displays in 16 million colors. The unit has dual cameras with a rear camera of 8 Mega pixels and the front camera is a 1.3 Mega pixel quality (My operation scan of the phone stated that the front facing camera is a 2.1 megapixel camera.). You can take photos or videos with either camera. The rear camera has a built in flash. The camera features focus and zoom capability.
The phone has a nice built in speaker that actually sounds very good. It includes full vibration, an acceleration sensor, light sensor, and proximity sensors for your game playing. The phone is extremely fast and I downloaded a lot of games, apps and Kindle books to test the unit.
I used benchmarking software to test the phone to get an independent but verifiable test other than just my personal opinion. This phone scored a benchmark of 18864 for the model X550A. The RAM was rated excellent and the 2 D graphics were rated good. The 3D graphics were rated good and the phone is capable to fluently support most games.
The phone uses Android operating system 4.4.2 (KitKat) and it has a Quad-Core CPU operating at 598 to 1300 MHz. The CPU has the ability to sleep unneeded cores and adjust the CPU clock rate to conserve battery power. It offers Bluetooth capability and I tested that feature by connecting to several sets of Bluetooth speakers and the connection was fast and easy to set up. The on board speaker of the phone is not bad at all.
The unit comes with RAM storage of 1GB and a ROM storage of 4GB. I installed a 32 GIG SanDisk Micro SD card class 10 for my testing. I recommend a 32 GIG class 10 card. I show some details in my video of the SIM and SD card locations.
This phone is fast and powerful. I down loaded 43 Apps from Amazon using the Amazon Appstore. I also downloaded many books using the Amazon Kindle App and I played songs using the Micro SD card I installed. I also played MP4 videos from the memory card. I played songs from my library using both the included headphones and then a Bluetooth speaker that I own. It all worked perfectly and sounded good.
* Built-in GPS
* Usable as a hot spot if you contract for a data plan with a wireless phone carrier.
* Fast WIFI connection - I got 18.08 Mbps download and 2.54 Mbps upload. Those are max speeds using a wired connection and I was using a WIFI connection.
* Built in FM radio with excellent reception. You have to use the earplugs as they act as an antenna for the radio. The tuning was very easy and the sound of the stations was clear and good.
* The phone supports video calls using the front facing camera.
* An easy set up for email.
* The ability to allow you to use both the Amazon App Store and the Google Play Store gives you a lot of access for apps and games.
* The ability to lock the phone using a password
* Plays and records videos. It is great for watching movies.
* When I plug the phone into my computer's USB port the computer worked using the USB Mass Storage mode. This does not work on some Android KitKat phones and tablets but it worked fine on this SHARKK phone. It allows me to directly transfer videos, music and files to the phone's Micro SD card without removing the SD card from the phone and I just have to use a Micro USB cable to connect the phone to the computer.
* Ability to read Kindle eBooks which is nice.
* Built in alarm clock
* Bluetooth is called WHT in the setup menu - this will be fixed according to SHARKK.
* The instruction manual is just OK to use.
This is a good phone with excellent performance in the CPU and screen resolution area. It is also good in the speed of the RAM, and in the 2D and 3D graphics. The phone has a lot of features. I am impressed with its performance. For an unlocked smart phone selling at this price it is a good buy. This is a good phone and it is ideal for an on the go type of SIM Card service without a contract. It is ideal for a teen that can't afford the high price of an unlocked phone with a data plan and a monthly service fee that can range from $40 to $750 per month for a 1 GB to a 100 GB data plan. Use the WIFI and get 1000 minutes of phone calls for $100 per year from AT&T using a SIM Card. You can even text with the SIM Card at 20 cents for each incoming and 20 cents for each outgoing text or 25 cents for a photo text message.
I recommend this as a good buy. This phone is unlocked and it connected instantly with an ATT SIM card. I rated it at 5 stars.
I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation. A review was not promised to the supplier in exchange for the sample but I stated that if I provided a review that it would be fair and honest.