Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Profile for M. Williams > Reviews

Browse

M. Williams' Profile

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Williams RSS Feed (Where you wish you were)

Archos 80 G9 250GB - Turbo HDD
Archos 80 G9 250GB - Turbo HDD

4.0 out of 5 stars Archos 80 G9, June 21, 2012
I read all the reviews before purchasing this product, and took the gamble that most people who decide to write reviews are driven to do so by a bad experience, and that not everyone who had a good experience posted a review.

I owned the Archos 101 before purchasing this product, with the 16GB flash memory. At the time it was awesome compared to other tablets because of its file compatibility. It was a little slow, and at times non-responsive, but I could get past that because the USB port allowed me to use an external hard drive, meaning I wasn't limited by the small internal memory. With this new one, I'm not limited by a small memory, it's touch screen and OS are significantly better, and I have full Play Store access, unlike the 101. This means Netflix, etc. which is fantastic. It's also a lot beefier than the 101. Where the 101 was very light, and made of cheap plastic (I dropped it on the corner from about 6 inches up and the corner cracked), this one doesn't feel that way. I'm sure if dropped it would react in a similar fashion, but it feels stronger. This is in large part due to the heavy hard drive inside it, but I don't care where it comes from, I feel more confident carrying this around.

I installed a firmware update yesterday, which I'm sure had some bug fixes, but I haven't had time to check it out, so the problems are all prior to any update.

The hard drive does run a little slower than flash memory, obviously, and this has only been noticeable when listening to music. If you go to skip a song, it takes 3-4 seconds to load the next one. Not too much of a problem. It does also have a problem with corrupted video files. Where a computer would just skip the frame or two that have issues, the Archos closes the video, meaning you have to reload the video and skip ahead to where the file is no longer corrupted. This is only an issue with anything that has been bit-torrented.

I have had 3 instances of freezing in the 2 weeks I've owned the device, but it takes so much less time to reboot than the old one that this isn't a problem for me. What was a problem was when I was on a plane over the weekend and the display became exceedingly bright. It wasn't that the brightness was too high, it was that everything was distorted. This was only temporary, and I think was caused by low battery life. It was accompanied by bad behavior on the part of the battery, which drained from full to 15% without any usage. This only happened the once, so I'm assuming some sort of human error was involved.

In terms of other complaints I've heard about (specifically transferring files), I think everyone is blowing it out of proportion. As long as you update to ICS before transferring any files you should not have any issues moving anything up to 15-20 GB at a time. I moved 4 seasons (20 episodes per season) of a 30 minute TV show in one go, and had no trouble. That said, I tried to move 9 at once, and it stopped half way through. Part of this is because I told the computer to convert the files, and this just takes longer and keeps the hard drive running. I wasn't concerned about checking up and moving more files every hour or two. I had nothing else to do. Others might care. It's worth the wait for the end result.

SIDE NOTE REGARDING CONVERSIONS:

If you're hooking this device up to Windows, WMP might ask you if you want to convert your files before transferring. If you get the cinema plug in ($10 on the Archos website, totally worth it), this is unnecessary for most every file out there. I made the mistake of converting some of mine and it just doubles the time it takes to copy. There is no benefit to conversion unless you are unable to play the original file format.

Overall I think this is an excellent device. I think that is clear based on the fact that it is one of only very few devices that Google lists as having Android 4.0, and I think it runs it very well. Everything is very snappy, runs quickly, and looks fantastic. I'd say for the money, there is no better option for a tablet of this size. The memory, the display, the size of the screen, the feel, and the UI make this a unique product. What makes it a fantastic product is the file compatibility. It plays all video formats (save a couple that I've yet to come across), has full Google Play store access, can accept third party applications, and runs everything with ease. These are all things that the vastly more expensive iPad cannot say. The iPad also has 1/4 the memory capacity at most.

Prototype 2 - Xbox 360
Prototype 2 - Xbox 360
Offered by Hitgaming Video Games
Price: $8.22
260 used & new from $1.66

3.0 out of 5 stars Prototype 2, April 27, 2012
Prototype 1 came out around the same time as InFamous, another sandbox game, and it held its own. I owned them both, played them both, and loved them both. Then I bought both sequels. InFamous 2 managed to improve on the original by expanding. The map was bigger, the movement was smoother, the powers were cooler, and the story was better.

Prototype failed to accomplish the latter two of these things. The movement was much better, with a lot of upgrades for the gliding. The map was theoretically still just NYC, but it felt a lot bigger than the original. The story was confusing at times, and didn't have a whole lot to offer. There also wasn't enough variation with the powers. In fact there was only one entirely new arm power, the tendrils, which I didn't use much. I did like the ability to bind 2 different powers to the square and triangle keys. It made combat a little more dynamic.

All of that said, it was an extremely entertaining game. I'm a little bit disappointed that I spent $60 on it, but I got the Radnet edition, so over the next 2 months there will be plenty of DLC for me to keep busy with. I'm pleased with the game overall, but the campaign was very short. It took me two days to complete, and probably a total time of 8 hours (if that).

Try it as a rental, and if you really like it, buy it.

Nerf N-Force Marauder Long Sword - Red
Nerf N-Force Marauder Long Sword - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Marauder Long Sword, December 19, 2009
This thing is FANTASTIC! I'm an 18 year old University student, and this thing can't be beaten.

My biggest piece of advice is to get it from Wal-Mart. While they cost $60 online, they cost $20 at Wal-Mart. I bought 3. One for me, one for my younger brother, and one for my RA.

My biggest warning is DO NOT GIVE TO YOUR SMALL CHILDREN!! These things are extremely solid, and they hurt. A LOT! If a kid were to be accidentally hit in the head, it would be catastrophic. It says 8+ on the packaging, but i wouldn't recommend for anyone under 10. Unless you want your kids teachers to be calling the police due to a suspected abused child.

I hope this was helpful.

Led Zeppelin Poster Print, 22x34 Poster Print, 22x34
Led Zeppelin Poster Print, 22x34 Poster Print, 22x34
Offered by BEST-DEALS-ONLINE
Price: $11.48
3 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice..., February 22, 2009
I bought this poster at an FYE near me. It is very good quality, and will not tear easily. I stapled it up on my wall, and it remains there now. I should think that it won't fall down any time soon, and as I said, I am not worried that it will tear.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2013 6:05 PM PST

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Wallet sized, but not for the wallet, February 22, 2009
I had one of these a relatively short while ago. I bought it up in Boston, and it seemed like a good investment. It is cheap, and has a lot of useful things on it. I kept it in my wallet because it seemed like a convenient place for it. It worked perfectly for the first two months or so, but then I started having issues. Behind the edge with the ruler, there is a seam. Because I had my wallet in my back pocket (like most people), the seam started to break, and the plastic cracked. This worsened over a month or so, and then the tweezers and the toothpick got stuck inside, and the only way to get them out was to crack it open. I closed it up with Krazy glue and some duct tape, and went on with my life.

The little knife is pretty crappy, but comes sharp. It shouldn't be used for much more than opening letters and cutting light plastic.

It is a great thought in general, but I recently switched over to the Tool Logic equivalent, and I much prefer it.