Profile for K. White > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. White "kristicw" RSS Feed (Portland, OR USA)

The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective.
The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective.
by Andy Andrews
Price: $13.78
218 used & new from $1.29

3.0 out of 5 stars A Solid C - Andy Andrews' The Noticer, July 1, 2009
In the Noticer, an old, friendly sage, Jones (not Mr. Jones), weaves his way in and out of the lives in one small, all-American town. He finds people in their moment of need and helps give them a little "perspective".

I really wanted to like this book. I respect the author, appreciate the publisher, and was interested in its premise. So it was with some anticipation that I dove in. I had a hard time finding a pace with the story. It felt a bit like the author had grabbed the good ideas from a handful of other gems books and tried to condense those into a chapter each (i.e. the early chapter about Jan & Barry sounds very much like Chapman's Love Languages), making it feel a bit jerky in pace. Jones was an interesting character, but I found his character development too vague. I understand that his mystery is part of the point, but there wasn't enough there to grab on to - Is he God or an angel? Does he disappear or is he traveling elsewhere?

I didn't hate this book; in fact, I'll probably pass it on to my parents next. I think it is likely one that will either really resonate with someone or it will fall flat. Unfortunately for me, it was the latter.

[...]

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Joy!, December 30, 2004
This magazine is such a beautiful work-- it brings me joy among all of the bills and junk mail I have to wade through! There are tons of great organizing ideas, fantastic recipes and well-written articles about interesting people. I have enjoyed giving it as a gift to girlfriends-- one just told me today how much she has enjoyed receiving it this year. Well worth it!