Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for M. Walker > Reviews

Browse

M. Walker's Profile

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Walker "M. Walker" RSS Feed (Chapel Hill, NC)

EatSmart Precision Digital Bathroom Scale w/ Extra Large Lighted Display, 400 lb. Capacity and "Step-On" Technology [2016 VERSION] - 20,000+ Reviews EatSmart Guaranteed Accurate
Offered by EatSmart Products
Price: $25.95
22 used & new from $21.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, May 15, 2012
I was so happy with this scale that I bought a second one for a family member. Here's why: it's accurate (clocked an identical weight with my doctor's professional digital scale), it's easy to operate, it's easy to read and it looks good. I also think the price is very fair for the value it provides.

True, it doesn't have a lot of features that other scales have - WiFi, BMI calculation, etc. and it doesn't make coffee for me in the morning but do I really need these other features? No. My WiFi is congested enough already - thank you - and BMI, for my money, is a pretty useless calculation anyway. I really only want to know what I weigh and this scale does that job beautifully. If your needs are similar to mine, you will be very happy with this scale.

Speck Products CandyShell Case for iPhone 3G/3GS - Black/Gray
Speck Products CandyShell Case for iPhone 3G/3GS - Black/Gray

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, May 21, 2010
I looked long and hard for a case that would provide adequate protection for my iPhone but would not add a lot of bulk. That's a really fine line to walk but there are a few cases out there that seem to meet those requirements. The Speck CandyShell is certainly one of them.

There seem to be a few different methods that case manufacturers use to protect iPhones. Silicone cases (and other soft, rubber-like materials) are great for protecting phones from bumps and falls. But they tend to be bulky and if you've ever tried to get one in or out of your pocket quickly, you know what a pain in the anatomy they can be. Shell-type cases look great, are not at all bulky and are easy to handle. Unfortunately, while they'll protect your phone from scratches, they will provide almost no protection in a fall. Hybrid cases like the Speck CandyShell attempt to be the best of both worlds.

The CandyShell pairs a soft rubber interior with a thin glossy shell to protect the iPhone from both falls and scratches. And the shell on the outside of the case makes it much easier to get in and out of your pocket. There are some great color choices, as well, which should make it attractive to a lot of iPhone owners.

This would be the perfect case for me if I didn't have to put it on and take it off so often. While the profile of my iPhone with the case on is thin enough that I can use it with my stand (Elago M2 Mobile Stand For iPhone(1G/3G/3GS), Ipod Touch(1G/2G/3G), Zune, and Blackberry), it will not fit in the mounting device in my car (a ProClip). Since I use GPS on the iPhone, it's rather important that the phone be mounted in the car. It's not hard to remove the case but removing it has caused the bottom front of the case to break from being torqued so often. I'm not surprised as it's the thinest part of the case and probably wasn't designed to be handled that way quite so often. So, I'm now looking once again for a new case that will work a little better in this scenario.

Pros: Protects from falls and scratches, good looking, easy to handle, color selection
Cons: Should not be removed very frequently

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars A great choice for movement-challenged individuals, May 19, 2010
I purchased this trackball for my elderly father, who suffered from Parkinson's disease. If you are not familiar Parkinson's, the symptoms can include moderate to severe dyskinesia, which is essentially difficulty controlling voluntary muscle movements. Such was the case with my father but he very much wanted to operate the computer I bought for him.

With patience, he was able to use the keyboard with a fair amount of accuracy but found the mouse almost impossible to use. For starters, it was too small for him to use accurately. Any attempt to move the mouse almost always put the cursor off the screen. The other problem was that he kept "accidentally" clicking the mouse buttons.

This trackball solved both problems. The ball was big enough for him to control and the buttons were far enough away from the ball that they didn't get clicked on accidentally. Of course, this made other actions like "click and drag" much harder but most modern computer operating systems can be adjusted to accommodate this.

We had no issues connecting this trackball to my father's iMac, running OS X Tiger, using the supplied USB adaptor. Drivers were not required.

Pros: A great choice for movement-challenged individuals.
Cons: Expensive.

Macally Protection Shell for Macbook (BookShellB)
Macally Protection Shell for Macbook (BookShellB)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great, sharp looking shell for your Mac, May 19, 2010
I've been using the Macally Protection Shell for Macbook for over a year now. It's a fine accessory that does exactly what it promises to do - it protects my computer from scuffs and abrasions and from minor bumps. It's not designed to protect a computer in the event of a major bump or fall (few shells will) but it does a very good job relative to its size and weight.

Here are some observations based on my experience with the shell:

- It's fairly easy to put on and take off. I don't do this often but it's easy enough to do when I have to.
- the suede interior does an excellent job of protecting the Mac's plastic case from scuffs and scratches.
- It doesn't block access to any ports, plugs or lights.
- It doesn't impede airflow to the computer. My Mac doesn't run any hotter with the shell than without it.
- The smart black leather shell dresses the Mac up nicely for use in the office.

One very minor quibble that I have is that although the shell does not block the cable-lock slot on the Mac, it comes close enough to it to prevent me from using it. I solved this problem by removing the protective plastic ring from my particular cable-lock, and that gave me the additional clearance use the cable-lock normally. If you use a cable-lock, you may want to keep this in mind.

Otherwise, I am very happy with this product and would not hesitate to recommend it.

Pros: Easy to use, protects the computer well, nice looking
Cons; May block use of the cable-lock, limited color selection

BlueAnt Supertooth 3 Bluetooth Hands-Free Speakerphone (Black)
BlueAnt Supertooth 3 Bluetooth Hands-Free Speakerphone (Black)
9 used & new from $19.51

4.0 out of 5 stars A good choice with limitations, May 16, 2010
Bluetooth accessories are decidedly a mixed bag. They definitely over-promise in terms of features and sound quality and often disappoint in terms of what they actually deliver, especially relative to what they cost. Part of the challenge for the companies that make these devices is that they need to be optimized for a variety of devices and perform well under in a plethora of rather unique auditory environments.

The BlueAnt Supertooth 3 Bluetooth Speakerphone is, in my estimation, a fair value proposition if you don't ask too much of it. First, consider that it's a speakerphone. Even the very best speakerphones are subject to the environment they operate in. Second, in my experience at least, the advanced features of these devices don't work nearly as well as I'd like them to. If you're able to live within those limitations, this is a good device to own.

My own needs are quite simple. I spend long stretches of time in my car and need to be able to use my phone responsibly. Also, many states require the use of hands-free devices while driving. And finally, like many people, I really don't like having an electronic device hanging in or on my ear for long periods of time. Enter the BlueAnt ST3. It is designed to clip to your sun visor via rather hefty magnets that are embedded in the device. BlueAnt has thoughtfully included two visor clips to facilitate moving the device between cars. The device has four buttons - volume up and volume down on the front of the device; answer call and end call on the bottom of the device. The speaker and microphone are also on the bottom of the device. For the most part, operating it is simple and intuitive.

As I suggested earlier, the sound quality is going to depend a lot on the inside of your car and where you are driving while you use it. While I've had no major problems using it, many of my callers said they had trouble hearing me. I fixed this problem by facing the microphone towards the driver position rather than towards the windshield, where it would normally sit. This makes using the volume switches awkward to use but I'm happy to make this concession to sound quality.

How it will pair with your phone also depends largely on what phones you are using it with. I've had good luck with Motorola Razrs and, more recently, my iPhone 3GS. It also worked well with my wife's old Samsung. Like other reviewers, I was never able to get the voice answering feature to work properly. I just turned it off. The vibration detection feature works well, sensing when you are getting back into the car and re-establishing the connection between the phone and the speakerphone. It also works well with the iPhone's voice commands and I can actually use the ST3 to control the iPod software on my iPhone.

If you are willing to live within the device's modest limitations, it's a good solid choice for a mobile speakerphone.

Pros: Good sound quality, reliable basic functionality.
Cons: Ambitious advanced features do not work reliably.

Mophie Juice Pack Air Case and Rechargeable Battery for iPhone 3G, 3GS (Black)
Mophie Juice Pack Air Case and Rechargeable Battery for iPhone 3G, 3GS (Black)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing performance, May 15, 2010
I had high hopes for this combination case and external battery but was ultimately disappointed in the unit and stopped using it.

The design and functionality are very appealing. It's a very compact unit relative to the size of the battery. But using it was entirely another matter.

I had two gripes with the unit; one major and one minor. My major gripe was that the battery intermittently dumped it's entire charge without warning. It happened frequently enough that I figured out that it wasn't something that I was doing to precipitate it. This alone was enough to make me abandon the unit. The minor gripe was that the top of the two-piece case came off too easily. I found myself fishing for the top of the case every time I took my phone out of my pocket.

Some the features I liked about the product when it was working was the ability to sync with a standard micro-usb cable and the ability to choose between running the iPhone directly off of the external battery or using the external battery to re-charge the iPhone.

In fairness to the both the manufacturer and the vendor, this is not an indictment of either of their customer services as I never attempted to return the battery. Like so many other people, I'm just too busy to collect up all of the cables and packaging to make that happen. Assuming I got a defective battery and it was replaced with a working one, I would consider giving the product an additional star. I also had none of the problems other reviewers had with cell range.

I wound up purchasing a battery from Imax Power, which I am very happy with.

Pros: Compact; flexible operation.
Cons: This particular unit was unreliable; top of case came off too easily.

Thoroughly Modern Milkshakes
Thoroughly Modern Milkshakes
by Adam Ried
50 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars If you really need a recipe book for milkshakes, this is the one, May 15, 2010
Let me start by saying that the book is really well executed, as one would expect from Adam Reid, an alumnus of the well regarded Cooks Illustrated team. It sets out to demystify the art and science of making great milkshakes and accomplishes that task handily.

The book seems to be directed at two distinct audiences. The first, those who really need a recipe for making milkshakes (no shame in that) and the second, those who want to take the art of making milkshakes into new territory.

The author's core strategy generally starts with vanilla ice cream and milk as a palette and then uses highly concentrated sorbets, jams, nuts, herbs and spices to create the unique flavors that he strives for. For example, his basic chocolate shake calls for a combination of vanilla ice cream, milk and chocolate sorbet. Having spent a year behind the counter of one of New York City's best ice cream scoop shops, I was skeptical of his approach but when I tried it, I found that he was right on the money. I also found that I had much more control over the intensity of the chocolate flavor by varying the amount of sorbet I used relative to the vanilla ice cream.

Mr. Reid will also suggest that specific ice cream brands don't matter all that much. I would qualify that by saying that it's worth experimenting to find what you like. I found that the really high-end vanilla ice cream brands that I would normally eat on their own did not work as well for me in milkshakes as the more generic grocery store brands that I would rarely eat if given a choice.

For many people, the more appealing aspect of this book will be the new and unique flavors that the author urges on his readers. While the appeal of these concoctions is fairly subjective, I suspect that virtually everyone will find something that they love in here. Real flavor pioneers should check out Page and Dornenburg's excellent The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America's Most Imaginative Chefs.

Pros: Excellent methodology for making great milkshakes; good guidance for people wanting to do something a little different.

Cons: It's a lot of money to spend for a book about milkshakes.

Allsop Metal Art Corner Monitor Stand, holds 40 lbs, great for small offices - Silver (29191)
Price: $19.99
179 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Corner Monitor Stands are hard to find, May 14, 2010
This one fills the bill nicely. Except for the leg positioners, which are plastic, this stand is all metal and quite sturdy. I took some care in assembling it as the threaded part of the legs looked as if they might bend with too much torque, but now that it is fully assembled, it's bearing the load of my 22-inch monitor and a few other miscellaneous items without any problems.

I looked for a corner monitor stand for quite some time and I kept coming back to this one. I don't care for it's looks but that's really subjective and I will dress it up in my own good time. All in all, I'm very happy with this purchase and feel that it's a good value.

Pros: Sturdy, All metal, reasonably priced for its quality.
Cons: It's aesthetics may or may not be your cup of tea.