Profile for A Bookfair Mom > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A Bookfair Mom RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Potty Scotty 2 in 1 Waterproof Training Pants Size: X Large (39-44 lbs)
Potty Scotty 2 in 1 Waterproof Training Pants Size: X Large (39-44 lbs)
Offered by Wayfair
Price: $18.53

3.0 out of 5 stars Fit okay -- they do soak through, January 29, 2011
We tried a few cloth/all in one trainers before training my son. These fit my son well, based on his weight--but when my son had an accident & sat down, they did soak through. For the cost, I ended up going with the gerbers & a few vinyl covers--which fit the same & leaked the same--but were less expensive.

One Night in the Coral Sea
One Night in the Coral Sea
by Sneed B. Collard
Price: $7.95
47 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars takes a hard to visualize concept and brings it to a child's level, November 29, 2009
This is a great non-fiction book that takes a rather hard concept for a kid to visualize--coral reef reproduction--and brings it to their level. Brickman's gorgeous illustrations and Collard's masterful storytelling layout a life cycle of an organism that doesn't get much press.

I think its a good book for kids who are really into non-fiction--and you'll know if you've got one--they take out books on ocean life and insect life. This title is a little "drier" than "Wings" and "Beaks," two other Collard/Brickman collaborations. If you've got a reluctant reader, they may not be as mesmerized by the subject, though its hard not to be mesmerized by the illustrations. Collard is very successful in building a story with a plot.

Manage Your Time to Reduce Your Stress: A Handbook for the Overworked, Overscheduled, and Overwhelmed
by Rita Emmett
Price: $11.70
48 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Attainable goals & reasonable suggestions that have immediate impact, November 29, 2009
I checked this book out in audio book format from the library and thought it was worth purchasing a hard copy. I don't know if a year from now if I will have followed through, but already it has made an impact. As a previous reviewer has stated, Ms. Emmett's tips are more philosophical--looking at your own individual values and then prioritizing the demands upon your time. She has a theory that if you don't "make deposits" to your own well being, you'll burn out. So she has several chapters dedicated to putting back into yourself--a.k.a. stress reduction. Her suggestions aren't these monumental unattainable milestones, rather reasonable & doable. And putting even just a few of the smallest suggestions into play (like her list of how to get a better night's sleep) have an immediate impact.

Colors: Easy-Open Board Book (Easy-Open Board Books)
Colors: Easy-Open Board Book (Easy-Open Board Books)
by Michel Blake
Edition: Board book
23 used & new from $13.56

5.0 out of 5 stars easy open & lots of delight, January 15, 2009
Candlewick's got a whole series of "easy open" board books which are great for the infant/toddler who's bent on opening their books themselves. My son gets frustrated with other board books where the pages are cut to the same trim size, but these he really enjoys. We like "Colors" especially because of the fantastic textures the photographer was able to find. The green page is a favorite.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Publishing Children's Books, 3rd Edition (Complete Idiot's Guides (Lifestyle Paperback))
by Harold D. Underdown
Price: $15.63
81 used & new from $3.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Good resource, January 15, 2009
I've used this book and recommended this book to people interested in the children's publishing industry since it first came out. Its an excellent overview. I think the two star reviewer who said that the book was for "complete idiots," was being a little harsh. I've been working on writing and selling my own books for close to eleven years now and I still run into people who don't know the difference between the genres. Even as someone that might be called an "intermediate/advanced" writer, I still use it as a reference.

Chicco Chicco Night Light Soother
Chicco Chicco Night Light Soother
Offered by O.P. Taylor's Toy Store
Price: $54.99

4.0 out of 5 stars good crib toy, August 3, 2008
We've had this product for a year and a half now. It works fine, no problems at all. Its always very apparent when its time to change the batteries--every two months or so. Its small enough that when we travel, we bring it with us for a bit of home to help the baby sleep better.

My older daughters enjoy recording songs for their baby brother to listen to. At 6 months, he'd just play with the busy board features--the little face at the bottom that flips up. At 7 month's he figured out how to use his feet to press the different song buttons. At 18 months he figured out how to record himself. It occupies him for a little bit in the mornings or after a nap and gives me a few minutes.

As a mom, I find the night light feature the most useful function--for when I check on the baby at night. I can also tell when he's having a restless night when the music is triggered often.

Secret Keeper Girl Kit
Secret Keeper Girl Kit
by Dannah Gresh
35 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Good format for mother/daughter time, July 5, 2008
This review is from: Secret Keeper Girl Kit (Paperback)
I'm starting this series of dates with both my 11 and 9 year old daughters after attending a mini-conference put on by the same group that published the book.

The mother's book and the daughter's diary are set up well. Just enough information to outline a simple object lesson and then room to structure the date in a way that works for you--whether the date is out at a fancy restaurant or spa something more cost effective like your own home. My 11 year old likes the child's diary especially, it has lots of blank lined paper at the very end for her to write in and room to add photos if you're a scrap booking fanatic.

Both girls were a little self conscious at first with some of the suggestions. Getting a hand massage in a fancy restaurant was different, and my youngest was very nervous about the facial--but both are catching on to what the dates are intending to do--pamper & lavish attention on them. Enough that now they are reading ahead and looking forward to their own date time with me and actively making suggestions about what to do to make the date more special for them. The neat thing is that they don't realize that all this special time is helping them to build confidence in themselves. Something I wouldn't have said my girls were lacking in particular. But seeing how much these dates lift them up, I'm kind of amazed at how much some quality time with mom is doing for their confidence level(like super high quality time--time set aside & not intruded upon by anything else happening in the house.)

A word of warning, following through with ALL the dates takes some planning & effort. The author does offer low cost alternatives, but there are some expenses that are unavoidable if you follow each date as outlined (especially the shopping date.)

I was a little worried that the 11 year old might find the material "young" and was ready to change if she didn't want to follow the recommended format of listening to an audio track on the way to the date, going on the date, filling out the questions in the diary, then listening to an audio track on the way home. But so far, she's going along with it. The object lessons are simple, biblically based. Each date has a key verse. The lesson can seem somewhat obvious (and thus my fear the 11 year old would be too sophisticated for it) but sometimes less is more. We manage to fill the whole time with talk even when it goes far from the intended subject--and the lessons are so basic, its easy to bring the conversation back.

Because I've got two daughters and only one summer, 16 great dates is kind of tough to schedule. So we've agreed as a family to combine a few dates and bring both girls (like the facial & the shopping dates.) But I've been having some great conversations when each daughter has their own date. I know the book is recommended for groups, but I'd tell any mom to be selfish and enjoy the time with her daughter alone. The dynamic changes dramatically when its one on one.

And remember, the product with the blue cover is a package of a child's diary, an audio cd, and the mother's guide. The product with the orange/yellow cover is just the child's diary alone. If its just you and your daughter, you only need to buy the product with the blue cover.

And if you're thinking of saving a little money by just getting the child's diary, you could manage it, though the mother's guide is somewhat essential. It has the object lessons outlined in greater detail with pointers for discussions afterwards. On the second date, you need some of the visual information printed only in the mother's guide. The mother's guide has everything that's printed in the child's diary, including a small set of optional devotionals. It also has some thoughts for mothers that is not in the child's diary.

Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy
Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy
by Gary D. Schmidt
151 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars did not enjoy modern camera angle, December 5, 2007
I found this a good read, I'm sure kids will enjoy it and not see too far beyond the quick moving plot and the somewhat typical good-guys/bad guys village.

As an adult reader, I did not enjoy the very modern camera angle the author used. There were some historical inaccuracies & modern biases that stuck out. The main character's clearly an example of "what if a kid from today with today's modern view points went back there in time."

Cracker!: The Best Dog in Vietnam
Cracker!: The Best Dog in Vietnam
by Cynthia Kadohata
Price: $14.84
186 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice middle grade about Vietnam, encourages questions, December 5, 2007
Topic aside, this is a good story that would appeal to many kids. Its an animal story- and its an adventure story. Its not the fastest read, but it carries itself forward well, unlike "Kira Kira" which got a little bogged down in places. True to Kadohata's style, its realistic, but the violence is not gratuitous--and its appropriate for the readership age.

When I heard about the plot of this story before it was published, I wasn't sure it would fly, but was glad I checked it out. Its a great picture of some of the different sides to the Vietnam War without being too preachy. Unlike some other books written about war where the author's story has a definite pro- or anti- war leaning (The latest I've read was "The Silver Donkey" by Sonya Harnet--which was good, but without a doubt, very "anti") Kadohata leaves room for the reader to ask their own questions. I think its got just the right camera angle for a middle grade reader and I'm sure teachers and educators will appreciate it for the springboard to discussions it will provide.

The Goose Girl (Books of Bayern)
The Goose Girl (Books of Bayern)
by Shannon Hale
Price: $9.99
222 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice fantasy, reads fast, December 5, 2007
Shannon Hale's Goose Girl is a good fantasy for kids who like to read classic fairy tales that are retold in novel format. If your child's looking at it, don't let the size of it discourage them, it reads pretty fast. (A bit faster than Princess Academy.)

If you like Gail Carson Levine's "Two Sisters of Bamarre," or "Ella Enchanted," this is a good book to check out.

Page: 1 | 2