Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Tap Giveaway Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS
Profile for L. Reyes > Reviews

Browse

L. Reyes' Profile

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

L. Reyes RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA)

Page: 1 | 2
MXtechnic HDMI Wall Face Plates Ethernet VGA RCA AV Coax Coaxial Assorted Panel Covers
Offered by XingDa Electrics
Price: $10.99
2 used & new from $12.69

3.0 out of 5 stars im using this for a home theater so it will be in the wall not being touched so its good for that, December 17, 2015
Im giving this a 3 star not because it does not work no it works perfectly but the cable is very very VERY thin. this cable would probe break if you uncoil it and use it continuously. im using this for a home theater so it will be in the wall not being touched so its good for that. if you are looking for a hdmi cable for lots of presentations and things like that look else ware. if your looking for a cable that will go into a wall this is perfect for that because it is small, cheap and it works. i will put pictures between this cable, high quality cable. the high quality cable is to the left or the thicker one. and this cable is to the right or the thinner one.
the video works no problems
the audio works no problems.
there are no digital delays.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Delirium (Debt Collector 1)
Delirium (Debt Collector 1)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, October 6, 2014
I rarely review self-published books but THE DEBT COLLECTOR blew my mind! Susan Kaye Quinn is a master. I was hooked from the opening line and have been devouring every page since. This is a serialized novella, available as 9 separate episodes or as a complete collection. I've read the first 5 episodes so far and I love, love, love it! The great thing is that Episode 1: DELIRIUM is always free for Nook or Kindle.

From the Magical Mind of Mindy Munson
From the Magical Mind of Mindy Munson
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I was not disappointed. Mindy is a little girl who doesn't talk, August 28, 2014
What initially drew me to this book was the cover. I thought it was kind of cute. And the title was intriguing. Now having read The Magical Mind of Mindy Munson, I was not disappointed. Mindy is a little girl who doesn't talk, except to whisper to her twin brother, Jesse, who is sort of her spokesman for their two older siblings, Tucker and Susie. After the Munson kids lose their parents in an accident, they move to a new (old) house with their aunt. But according to Mindy, this house is already occupied by a host of invisible magical creatures.

The story's narrative is childlike and sweet. And I really started to believe in those creatures, too. But at its heart, this is about loss and healing. And more importantly it's a story about family. I enjoyed this little book immensely and kids of all ages will enjoy it, too.

Between Shades of Gray
Between Shades of Gray
by Ruta Sepetys
Price: $5.63
231 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Between Shades of Gray - A Must Read!, November 18, 2012
This review is from: Between Shades of Gray (Paperback)
Wow. This is one of the best books I've read this year. Between Shades of Gray is the story of Lina Vilkas, a sixteen-year-old Lithuanian who was imprisoned in Siberia by the Soviets during World War II. While the characters in the book are fictional, the story is a compilation of true events revealed by actual survivors when the Baltic nations regained their independence after 50+ years of Soviet occupation.

The story is shocking and simple, and is one that needs to be told. We are very familiar with the horrors of the Nazi regime, but little has been said about Stalin's reign of terror that resulted in more than 20 million deaths. Between Shades of Gray is a story of hope, courage, tragedy, and survival. It was nominated for a Carnegie Medal and is a New York Times Bestseller.

I had the privilege of meeting the author a few months ago at a SCBWI conference in Los Angeles. In her keynote address, she shared her experiences in a East European Gulag while conducting research for this book. She traveled to Lithuania twice and interviewed many survivors. Her family roots are deeply embedded in this history, and her dedication to telling this story is inspiring.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Please read it. It deserves a permanent spot on all our bookshelves, right beside such important books as The Diary of Anne Frank, The Book Thief and The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

Stolen Innocence: My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Breaking Free of Warren Jeffs
by Elissa Wall
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.19
138 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Stolen Innocence, June 26, 2012
I read ESCAPE by Carolyn Jessop a couple of years ago and loved it. Both ESCAPE and STOLEN INNOCENCE tell of young women who escaped the FLDS community and the abusive control of its self-proclaimed leader Warren Jeffs, who is now serving a life sentence for his crimes. Elissa Wall's story is painful to read, especially knowing how many women and girls are still trapped in that society and who don't even realize they are being used. So sad.

Elissa Wall's courage in the face of incredible opposition is astounding. The book is written in a very straight forward style. Wall holds nothing back. I found myself rooting for her and hating Warren Jeffs so deeply that I had to google him after I finished the last page. It was unnerving knowing that people like him are real. They don't exist solely in fiction. He may be in jail, but there are others like him out there still. I've driven through Colorado City, AZ, (one of the FLDS communities mentioned in the book) several times which made this book all the more real for me.

Elissa Wall is a real-life heroine. Her story needed to be told, and it needs to be read. She mentions the famous quote "Evil abounds when good men do nothing." The story of the FLDS is a prime example of what happens to innocent people when good people stand by in silence and let it happen. But it is also about how one person's courage to do what is right even at great personal cost can send a ripple of change through society.

Slide
Slide
by Jill Hathaway
Price: $17.99
63 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of Slide, May 21, 2012
This review is from: Slide (Hardcover)
Fast-paced riveting murder mystery with just enough paranormal thrown in to make it stand out. When Vee passes out, she slides into other people's bodies. She can see and hear what they see and hear, but cannot read their minds. When she slides into the body of a murderer, Vee ends up in a race against time to prevent her sister from becoming the next victim.

SLIDE is quick read. Straight forward story written in first person present tense. The characters are typical high school stereotypes - cheerleaders, jock, etc. - but Hathaway manages to make each character believable and three dimensional. No one is quite what they seem at first glance. There are a few details that are predictable, but not enough to detract from the overall enjoyment of the story. I would love to see these characters again, especially Vee and Rollins. As Vee gains more control over her ability, it would be cool to see her solve more mysteries.

The book does contain some foul language ("b" & "sh" words mostly). There is some discussion of teen sex, but none actually occurs in the story itself. And there is a brief description of a murdered girl, but otherwise the violence is minimal. I enjoyed SLIDE thoroughly and had a hard time putting it down the closer I got to the end.

Starters
Starters
by Lissa Price
Price: $14.65
129 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Starters, April 14, 2012
This review is from: Starters (Hardcover)
I had this book on my TBR months before it was released in March. It definitely lived up to my expectations. STARTERS is an intense dystopian thriller set in a post-war society where the only survivors are the young and the very, very old. I felt comfortable with Callie, the protagonist, right from the start. She is likeable and real. She loves her brother and will do anything for him, including rent out her body to an Ender. The trouble starts when she "wakes up" before the rental is over and discovers that her renter is using her body to plot an assassination.

As the story progresses, the plot twists get tighter and the stakes get higher. The Old Man is by far the creepiest bad guy I've ever seen in a YA novel. Lissa Price struck gold with STARTERS and leaves you hungry for more. Luckily, the sequel ENDERS is due out at the end of the year, so we won't have long to wait to find out how it all ends.

I highly recommend this book. It kept my attention from page one all the way to the very last sentence. And even though it is YA, there is nothing in it that I found inappropriate for a slightly younger audience. My 11-year-old snatched it out of my hands the moment I closed the cover. He couldn't wait to read it.

Cinder: Book One of the Lunar Chronicles
Cinder: Book One of the Lunar Chronicles
by Marissa Meyer
Price: $11.52
78 used & new from $2.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Cinder - A Futuristic Fairytale, March 23, 2012
I listened to this book on my Ipod and I have to say I absolutely loved it. While the ending was a bit predictable, it didn't detract at all from the exceptional quality of Marissa Meyer's writing and the overall experience of this engaging story. This may be a twist on the Cinderella fairytale (and there are elements from other fairytales, too), but the similarities really are minor. Cinder is a completely unique concept: a futuristic science fiction story about a cyborg mechanic, a worldwide pandemic, tense relations between Earthens and Lunars, and, of course, a gorgeous prince. Not since Ella Enchanted by Gail Carsen Levine has a fairytale so completely captured the hearts of its readers or deserved so many accolades.

In addition, I have to mention that this story is set in future China and that its characters are therefore Chinese. This fact is not heavy-handed at all. Nowhere are their Asian features described. We only make that inference from the setting, cultural landmarks and clothing, and their names. But I think in this day and age when the need for more cultural and racial diversity in books is a growing topic of interest, Cinder should stand as an example for others to follow. I applaud Ms. Meyer for reaching beyond our white/American comfort zone and creating a multi-cultural story we all can enjoy.

A word about the age appropriateness of this story. Cinder is considered YA, for ages 12 to 18, probably because the characters are in their late teens. But I found nothing in this book that would be inappropriate for younger audiences. Rather, the story and the writing itself is fine for middle grade readers. There is a single kiss and very minor violence involving a gunshot, but otherwise I plan to hand this to my nine and eleven-year-old kids as soon as I get my hands on a print version. This book is worth adding to my permanent home library.

Oh, and by the way, according to Ms. Meyer's blog, the sequel, Scarlett, is forthcoming. Can't wait.

Article 5: Compliance is Mandatory
Article 5: Compliance is Mandatory
by Kristen Simmons
Price: $15.57
87 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Near Perfect Dystopian, February 21, 2012
A gripping read. The protagonist, Ember, faces tremendous challenges. First, her mother is arrested for being a single mom, then Ember is sent to an abusive reform school. From there, things just get tougher. I wish I could tell you everything that happens to this girl, but then I'd be giving it all away. And I just hate it when book reviews include spoilers, don't you? But this is a great example of someone who's tribulations just make them stronger. She is a very "real" character, full of pain and emotion, but faced with the necessity to keep on going no matter what.

And I just love, love, love Chase Jennings. Now this is a hero! And a gentleman! The kind of guy us mothers wish our daughters would bring home for dinner. His love for Ember runs deep. And there is no sex of any kind in this book. Thank you, Kristen Simmons, for giving us a male protagonist with an actual concsience and moral courage, a guy who is willing to lay his life on the line to do what is right. Chase is awesome.

And the final horrible surprise shocker - won't tell you what it is - but absolutely gut wrenching. I was all tied up in knots and up until midnight reading this thing. I would say this is a near perfect story.

I have only one tiny complaint. Ember misreads Chase on many occasions, assuming things about him that simply are not true. As the reader, the truth seemed blatantly obvious to me and it was frustrating that Ember could be so dumb on that account. They kept coming together and then pushing each other away. BUT this all does get resolved in the end in a way that is satisfying and well...perfect.

Okay, Kristen Simmons - I demand a sequel!

The Rock of Ivanore (The Celestine Chronicles)

The Aviary
The Aviary
by Kathleen O'Dell
38 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful historical/magical mystery, October 20, 2011
This review is from: The Aviary (Hardcover)
I'm not a big fan of historical fiction, but The Aviary and its characters drew me in and held my attention all the way to the last page. Kathleen O'Dell did a remarkable job with the historical feel of this story. It is beautifully written. And the magic and mystery surrounding the deaths of the Glendoveer children kept me turning the pages. I would gladly recommend this to anyone. I don't know the author personally, so my review is completely unbiased. I just really enjoyed this book.

Page: 1 | 2