Profile for Kim Cantrell > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 516

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kim Cantrell "Soap Box Bandit" RSS Feed (Tennessee)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Crime Buff's Guide to Outlaw Pennsylvania (Crime Buff's Guides)
Crime Buff's Guide to Outlaw Pennsylvania (Crime Buff's Guides)
by Ron Franscell
Price: $9.95
37 used & new from $7.04

5.0 out of 5 stars So Awesome Chewbacca Wants to Read It!, October 17, 2013
With the mess in Washington, D.C., I'll admit my tinfoil hat is getting much use these days but not always because of politics. I'm pretty certain author Ron Franscell has access to my mind as well.

Three times I've had the pleasure of reading and reviewing Ron's books in the Crime Buff's series and all three of those were places where I've longed to visit and explore their rich criminal history but with this fourth book, he kind of freaked me out.

How, pray tell, did he know Pennsylvania is one place I had secretly hoped he'd cover. See what I'm saying? He had to be in my head!

Pennsylvania is a goldmine of history, be it criminal, political, or otherwise. I've always said, when I have the chance to visit, I will need a minimum of two weeks to take it all in. With the release of The Crime Buff's Guide to Outlaw Pennsylvania, I'm going to up it to four.

Beginning in Allentown and twisting alphabetically through Pennsylvania's towns, Ron takes readers on a tour of the state's infamous (and not so much) crime sites and points of interests. Many of the places listed are ones which readers will have heard about and, if anything like me, will be searching out more information. Alternatively, there will be points of interests listed about which you thought you knew everything only to learn you did didn't.

I salivate over any of the Crime Buff's Guides but especially this one seeing as I'm hoping to make the trip to the area within the next couple of years. But even if I wasn't, I'd still love reading this book because...well, does Ron Franscell write anything not worth reading? No.

And maybe I'm a bit more partial to Outlaw Pennsylvania after I ran across Chewbacca in Hollywood, California, and he tried to take my copy of the book. (Fortunately, Spiderman came to my rescue) So even if you don't trust my endorsement, trust Chewbacca's!

Lorex LH014501C4F Vantage 4-Channel DVR Indoor/Outdoor Security System with 4 Security Cameras (Black)
Offered by Dave Electronics
Price: $300.58
6 used & new from $260.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Installation Instructions Lacking but Overall System Good for Price, June 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My husband and I have been considering a security system for some time and when offered the Lorex Vantage 4-Channel DVR with 4 Cameras, I was very excited.

I left the installation up to my husband. He's a perfectionist with a engineer's mind so he read the instruction manual thoroughly, twice - making sure he understood the precise steps he was to follow. And, yet, still he became frustrated. To put it in his words, "A chimpanzee could have written clearer instructions!" But, in the end, he figured it out and the system was installed about about five hours (give or take).

So next in line was actually using the system. Beginning with daylight hours, the picture was extremely clear and crisp - very high quality. But as dusk turned to dark, the quality of the picture became less quality; not horrible but definitely not as clear as that with sun aiding it. Let me put it this way: daytime pic, you could identify the someone or "something" you're view; nighttime, you'd just know "it" was there.

As to viewing via smartphone... just fine. Picture quality as I described above but app works beautifully with the system.

Lorex is a good system for the price paid but don't expect to get the same quality as you do from higher priced systems. It's still more than good enough to make a person feel secure in knowing what is going on "out there" especially in comparison to having nothing at all.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2013 1:14 AM PST

ENERGIZER 180W Cup Inverter 12V DC cigarette lighter to 120V AC to power laptop notebook & more w/ 4 USB ports 2.1A shared compatible with iPad & more
Price: Click here to see our price
39 used & new from $29.96

4.0 out of 5 stars A Little Slower Than Some But Useful, June 20, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I chose the ENERGIZER 180W Cup Inverter 12V DC cigarette lighter to 120V AC because, a couple of times each week, I spend a great deal of time in my car with friends. And we all have smartphones, half of which always need a charging at any given time. So I thought this would be a great solution.

And it is. Super convenient for the car, being designed to sit comfortably in a standard size cup holder and it's three USB outlets and one standard plug. BUT, the downside I've found is, whether it's charging one item or two, and especially if their in use while charging, it can be a bit slow to recharge. And depending on the item charging, for example my Kindle Fire, can only be charged while in sleep mode.

I like it for it's design and the convenience of charging while traveling but as for the purpose for which I initially chose it, I'm a little disappointed. Whether I recommend it or not would depend on whether you want to charge-while-using or just charge while on the go? If it's the latter, then I say, "Yes, I recommend it."

Verbatim 8,400 mAh Dual USB Power Bank 98009
Verbatim 8,400 mAh Dual USB Power Bank 98009
Offered by JAMinnovations
Price: Click here to see our price
82 used & new from $35.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Handy, June 20, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Being on the go, I'm constantly in need of a charge. I've had other chargers and they all (mostly) served well but the Verbatim Dual USB Power Bank has to be the best by far.

The first thing I want to mention is the speed of it's own charging. Whether it be via computer or super charge USB wall outlet, this Power Bank charges to it's max super fast so that you don't spend a great deal of time waiting on it. Secondly, it also recharges your smartphone, tablet, MP3 player, Kindle, or whatever USB charge-based item you may have quickly.

Small and compact, you can easily carry it with you; although, with a bit of weight to it, you may not fancy carrying it in your purse but definitely compact enough to toss in a car's glove box.

With several electronics around here which require charging by USB and limited USB wall chargers, the Verbatim has come in super handy. It's a product that's going to stick around our house for quite a while.

Evil Intentions: How an Act of Kindness Led to Senseless Murder
Evil Intentions: How an Act of Kindness Led to Senseless Murder
Price: $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars First Half Interesting, Second Half Repeatitive and Boring, May 29, 2013
In January 1981, Suzanne Maria Rossetti was happy, carefree - living life to the fullest.

As such was life the night she pulled into the U-Totem convenience store on Van Buren Street in Tempe, Arizona. It was a pit stop, intended only to waste the few minutes before she was to meet her parents at a nearby hotel, that would forever change the lives of so many.

At the store were two men with lengthy criminal histories: Jesse James Gillies and Michael David Logan, who was an escapee from the Michigan correctional department as well. The duo was out of money and thinking of ways to get some fast cash so they could buy booze and drugs when Suzanne pulled into lot. Eying her closely, the men noticed she was well-dressed and decided she likely carried a nice stash of cash with her.

In their sick and twisted minds, it must have seemed like fate when Suzanne exited the store and realized her keys were locked in her car. While trying to decide what she should do, Gillies and Logan approached her and offered to help. When they popped the doors open, Suzanne was most grateful and asked how she could repay their kindness. A six pack, they said and Suzanne happily made the purchase.

But it wasn't enough. Not at all. In the time it took Suzanne to re-enter the store and purchase the beer, the two thugs had decided to rob her.

Yet things only went from bad to worse. Much, much worse.

Author Ronald J. Watkins was opposed to the death penalty at the time of Suzanne's brutal kidnapping, rape, and murder but even he couldn't justify letting such evil continue to waste perfectly good oxygen. In his 1992 (eBook version updated 2011) Evil Intentions: How an Act of Kindness Led to Senseless Murder, Watkins chronicles the fateful meeting of a friendly young woman and two scumbags who believed the world owed them just because they were born to craptastic parents and the end result is, like Watkins, even the anti-deathers will have a hard time not wanting to push the button on these pathetic losers.

At least for the first half. If you're anything like me, however, the second half, which is the trial and serves as a drawn-out, dryly-written version of the first half, you'll be nodding off from boredom. I found myself skimming much of the second half.

Being an interesting case nonetheless and not very well known (not even online) in addition to the great detail, including insider information, I recommend you read Evil Intentions by Ronald J. Watkins - just grab a used copy if you're not into the mundane trial proceedings like me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2013 3:30 PM PST

While Innocents Slept:  A Story of Revenge, Murder, and SIDS
While Innocents Slept: A Story of Revenge, Murder, and SIDS
by Adrian Havill
78 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars One Sided Much?, May 25, 2013
Garrett Wilson was spoiled rotten, with a mother and father who gave him anything he wanted all of his growing years. Any problem arose that seemed make their precious little Garrett unhappy was resolved quickly and quietly.

But, as it generally happens, Mom and Dad left this world behind and their own legacy was a lazy, overweight sloth who thought he was entitled to anything or anyone his heart desired.

Of course, that's not how it works in the real world.

When Garrett wasn't running up massive amounts of credit card debt - some fraudulently obtained under false names and/or addresses - he was racking up girlfriends and wives.

Yes, that's right. Not "or" but "and."

And, as is typical with this type of person, he was whining and dining like the money well would never run dry.

When the bills came due, he turned to other resources: embezzlement. And then when his luck ran out on that scheme, he turned to another: murder.

It's all the too common murder for insurance he used; but the rarer form: insuring then killing your own child.

Not just one but two.

But if you're going to dance, you have to pay the piper. And now Garrett is paying to the tune of life imprisonment without parole.

Adrian Havill's While Innocents Slept is the only book written about the two cases of infanticide by Garrett Wilson; but it is an EXTREMELY one sided account.

Written based predominately on interviews with Garrett and his starry-eyed (now ex) wife Vicky, this book leaves a lot to be desired.

Regular readers of my reviews know that I typically find something worth reading in just about every book, but not this one.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2013 11:32 AM PDT

LeapFrog Disney Pixar Monsters University Learning Game (works with LeapPad Tablets, LeapsterGS, and Leapster Explorer)
Price: $14.19
43 used & new from $7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 Year Old Daughter LOVES IT!, May 15, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My four year old daughter loves playing games and has long attempted to do so on her brothers' game systems or on my iPad and Kindle Fire - which does nothing more than frustrate her and make me a nervous wreck because of the fragility of these products.

So we were thrilled when LeapFrog came out with the LeapFrog LeapPad2 Explorer. With the look and feel of a tablet but geared towards little folk, it was something we were all happy about.

Always looking for new games, the LeapFrog Explorer Disney Pixar Monsters University Learning Game seemed like an excellent choice - especially since she's a HUGE fan of the Monsters, Inc. movie.

And I wasn't wrong.

Although she is at the lower end of the recommended age, she plays the levels with relative ease; requiring only minimal help from Mom and Dad (which, as a parent, I'm sure you understand the great importance I placed on this aspect alone). But while this is important, I'm most happy to say she is learning so many important skills: motor skills, cause and affect, matching, memorization, and more.

All while having a blast!

LeapFrog Explorer Disney Pixar Monsters University Learning Game is one more in a line of LeapFrog products that makes learning exciting. Children like my daughter, who resist "traditional learning" methods, don't feel as if they are learning anything just simply playing a game as they'd prefer.

Well, the jokes on her because she IS learning and that makes Mom very, very happy. But we'll keep that between us.

Epson VS220 SVGA 2700 lumens color brightness, 2700 lumens white brightness, HDMI, 3LCD Projector
Offered by Platinumcameras
Price: $635.00
6 used & new from $553.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely THE Best, May 14, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've had the opportunity to try and review a few projectors and my family has now fallen in love with projection viewing. We love watching movies and playing games in a much larger viewing then television provides.

We initially tried the Epson VS220 Projector in our standard fashion: movies and gaming. But this time we went a bit further by using it to project from our laptop for the purposes of Power Point presentations and the likes.

And once again, we were not disappointed. In fact, we were even more impressed than we were with other projectors.

Why? The color quality and sharpness of images were the best we've ever seen. The plug-n-play feature makes it super easy to get started using it right away. With just a couple of steps, we were using it right away. No headache whatsoever.

Now I can't tell you the specs, I'm just not a techie person. I'm an average Jane who likes electronic toys. But all that's covered in the product description and other reviewers have been kind enough to elaborate on that stuff. But what I can tell you is that for half the price of other projects I've tried, the Eposon VS220 is a high quality product that had me saying "Wow!"

Belkin EaseFit Armband for iPod nano 7th Generation (Black)
Belkin EaseFit Armband for iPod nano 7th Generation (Black)
Price: $16.99
29 used & new from $14.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy for the Sporty iPerson, May 13, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Very stylish, the Belkin EaseFit Armband for iPod Nano 7th Generation is the perfect accessory for the athletic and/or exercising iFan.

I used this with an iPod Nano, which this accessory fits perfectly (nice grip, no worries about the Nano falling out) - around Nano and arm size, to listen to music during my gym workouts.

I liked it so well that I ordered the Belkin Easefit Sport iPhone Armband, Compatible with iPhone 4 & iPhone 4S so that I can use all my apps including, calorie burn count, blood pressure, heart rate, etc. And just like this one, that one will receive a five star review - just an FYI for those who'd prefer to use their iPhone versus a Nano.

Monster DNA On-Ear Headphones (Cobalt Grey)
Monster DNA On-Ear Headphones (Cobalt Grey)
Offered by Outdoor Traders
Price: $119.99
34 used & new from $78.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I Liked, Teenage Son Loved, May 13, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As a child of the 80s, I'm much more comfortable with headphones than I am these tiny little earbud things. Strange? Maybe, but the truth nonetheless.

One of the reasons I hate Apple EarPods that came with iPhone is because they constantly fall out of my ears while I'm running on the treadmill or bending over while doing laundry, loading the dishwasher, or any type of housework. So I thought I'd give the Monster DNA On-Ear Headphones a try.

Well, guess what. I actually prefer Earbuds. Go figure!

Now, don't get me wrong, they stayed in place much better than the in-ear speakers and they had EXCELLENT sound quality but, overall, they just felt a little bulky. For me, anyway.

So I passed them along to my teenage son and asked him to give them a try. He's been using them for online gaming. And he loves them! He's not much of a talker in real life so he's total mute in the virtual world, so the lack of a microphone doesn't bother him at all. He tells me that the sound quality "rocks" and he's never had such an awesome set of headphones.

He gives them five plus stars, but it was my product to try and rate, so I give it only four. Nothing wrong the product, it's me. I just couldn't "love them" but I really did "like them."

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20