Profile for PghYinzer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 275

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

PghYinzer "more of myself after winter" RSS Feed (Pittsburgh, PA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Cuisinart ICE-21 Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker, White
Cuisinart ICE-21 Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker, White
Price: Click here to see our price
56 used & new from $35.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes the "I scream" out of home made ice cream, September 5, 2014
I bought this on a whim because someone was selling one with the extra bowl on a local facebook mom's page I am on for the ridiculous price of twenty five dollars. I've always liked the idea of home made ice cream but don't like having to buy the ice and salt and all the other ingredients ... the mess, the time, the planning... i figured I would give this a try.

We made the strawberry and chocolate flavors as the book instructed and they were amazing.

The next day we made vanilla but only used whole milk, no cream. It was a little icier, but perfectly acceptable for a quick and easy summer treat.

Then a day later my kids wanted something else but we were down to only a teaspoon of vanilla so I decided what the heck, let's see what happens if I throw pudding in here. (we've been making a lot of pudding pops this summer, I just use instant pudding with 3 - 3 1/2 cups of milk instead of 2) And THAT was pretty amazing. (I know, it takes away the "health" benefits of using all top-quality whole-food ingredients but desperate times call for desperate measures. I used 3 1/2 c. whole milk and a box of instant vanilla pudding, then threw some sprinkles on top which have been hiding in our pantry for several years)

The take home message from this is - you can make some amazing stuff if you follow the directions, but you can also deviate and pull out some quick and dirty treats in a pinch. The only thing you really NEED is to keep your bowls frozen. We have a little deep freeze in the cellar we bought to keep a half-cow we purchased (something we will probably never do again) so it's no big deal to us to take up the freezer space.

My oldest son is jonesing to try the coconut sorbet in the book. We'll get there.

I think the only thing I don't like is the size. With 4 kids, this doesn't go far - but two bowls means two flavors and that's pretty cool. I'd say for a family of more than 4 (total) you are going to want an extra bowl OR go for the 2 quart model. I figured for the price we'd get our feet wet and figure out if home made ice cream with this sort of system was even worth our while.

I can say that yes, yes, YES it is. This does exactly what you hope it will do. Right out of the machine it is quite soft (I like soft serve, so that is fine with me) - if you freeze it longer to make it harder, it is still quite scoop-able, as opposed to a block of ice. Amazing homemade ice cream is in your reach with this little gadget.

Intex Sand Filter Pump with GFCI for Pools, 2800-Gallon
Intex Sand Filter Pump with GFCI for Pools, 2800-Gallon
Price: $143.33
4 used & new from $139.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive!, July 12, 2014
I got this for an 18' x 48" intex ultra frame pool. Having had a 10' easy set pool that turned into a pond years ago, I did some research and decided to upgrade the pump from the start with the bigger pool. Everything I read suggests that the pump that comes with the pool will be undersized for the job. I can't say how this compares to the cartridge filter that the pool came with - but I can say that this puts out some serious suction. You can really see the whirl pool action in the pool when the filter is running. Rubber ducks will zoom by out of your reach, from the opposite side of the pool.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the plunger valves that are "optional" for this pump. From what I can tell, the pump used to come with them - but Intex must be cutting costs and leaving those out. They did NOT come with our pump purchased July 2014 - but they DID come with our pool so we were in luck. Again we have the 18 x 48 ultra - they might not come with pools that are smaller.

Finding the sand to fill this was a bit of a challenge. A lot of the reviews I have seen said to go to Home Depot - I ended up running all over town and not finding the right stuff. In the end I went to Pool City - where I was afraid it would cost a TON - and I had to buy 2 bags at eight bucks each which was no where near the cost I was expecting. Do yourself a favor and check with a pool store first!

We have only had the pool up for a little over a week but between this and the salt water system we put on it, it is clean as can be - save for some leaves. I haven't figured out how I will vac it yet. The pump comes on by itself every evening as the timer is set for it to run. So happy not to deal with slimy filters - I remember them being green and gross from our easy-set - the sand is supposed to be good for five years. Time will tell.

Everything about this pump so far seems to be high quality. It looks like a serious, hard-core pump. Filter basket, serious suction, this ain't no toy. One word of caution - keep buckets out of the pool!!! My kids were playing with them and one got stuck to the intake, luckily I happened to be in the pool when it happened. This thing kept right on churning even though the bucket was completely collapsed.

Confer 7100 Evolution Resin "A" Frame Pool Ladder 300 lb Limit
Confer 7100 Evolution Resin "A" Frame Pool Ladder 300 lb Limit

4.0 out of 5 stars HUGE improvement for intex pool, July 6, 2014
I bought this to go with our Intex ultra frame pool (18' X 48"). For some reason the ultra frame pools are shown varyingly with a ladder that has a platform on top and a ladder without the platform. I have a 3 year old who isn't so keen on coming in the pool but likes to sit at the top and supervise so I really hoped to get that platform ladder (my dad has a real pool with a deck which is how we knew this beforehand) - alas we got the wonky no-platform ladder. It was solid enough but super narrow and I watched one of my girls lose her footing and slip on it and catch herself. I think that MAYBE the ultraframe pools used to all come with a platform ladder but maybe now only the 52" ones do? Not sure about that.

This is definitely wider than the original intex ladder and my kids like it much better. I like that you can lift the steps so not have to remove the whole ladder to keep kids out of the pool. We didn't get a lock with our ladder but are thinking about getting a bike lock for it - but the ladder does sort of click in place so a little kid can't easily get it down once it is raised. Our 10 year old can do it but our 6 year olds cannot.

My youngest kidlet has a place to hang out without coming in. But even filled with water it tends to move around a lot more than expected - it seems especially prone to tip backwards when climbing up to get into the pool. I think the guy who suggested ratchet straps was right on the money for this.

There is minimal to no metal on this so no worries of rust if you are using a salt water system as we are (I have read of the salt water destroying the ladders).

There are two positions you can put the platform in, depending on if you have a 48" or 52" pool. As you might expect, the positions are roughly 4" apart. I have not measured, merely eyeballed from the pool. Since we have a 48" pool, we use the lower setting and I find it to be just about perfect.

Highly recommended for a freestanding pool. Check your local classified ads first, though- I snagged one for 1/3 the price and just as good as new. They hold up well! I am not sure how I'd feel having paid full price for this but it is a huge improvement over what came with the pool and every time I use this ladder, I am glad we bought it.

If there's something else you need to know, just leave a comment.

Hitachi RB24EAP 23.9cc 2 Stroke 170 MPH Gas Powered Handheld Blower (CARB Compliant)
Price: $139.00
18 used & new from $104.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Hitachi products keep the ladies happy ;-), June 26, 2014
I've been dragging around a corded Toro blower for 10 years now. I have the cordless black & decker lawnmower and whacker (both 36v) which work AWESOME and had high hopes for their "sweeper" when it came last year but their blower... blew. In a bad way. Weak and unimpressive. So back to the store with the blower and back to dragging cords and swearing for me. Something inside me snapped this summer and I decided this is the year I break down and buy SOMETHING gas powered. This one was light weight, well reviewed, and a nice price, so I took a chance.

In the interest of getting started as soon as possible, I bought the can of pre-mixed fuel at the hardware store along with this. I think you pay a little more, but this is the only gas powered lawn item we own, so I might just stick with that, we'll see.

This thing can move some air!!! It seems to handle everything my corded blower could handle, minus the swearing and dragging and moving of the plug and then miles of rewinding. Takes me SO much less time to blow the driveway and walkways etc clean that I am way more on top of this chore than I used to be. (I am sure the neighbors are pleased)

My only complaint is the unit is a tad finicky. It seems like maybe it has a bit of a break-in period because it seems to be getting less finicky, but the first time out of the gate I could not get it to start for anything. My husband blamed my wimpy woman arms and of course it started right up for him. It seems to be getting more reliable, though. I am not changing anything about how I do it, it just seems to be starting more reliably.

I have seen complaints about the location of the intake - if you are right handed it might press against your leg - but I tend to hold the unit more in front of my body and shift from hand to hand a lot so that hasn't bothered me at all. I am a righty and I have no complaints there.

The noise is a little more than with my corded blower, but it's not terrible.

Very happy with this little blower. Time will tell how it holds up but for now it's working very well. I've probably used it more in the month since I have had it than I used my corded blower all last summer, just because it is SO much more convenient. The only thing it does not do is suck back up and shred things, but I never used that feature on my old blower anyway. My husband did, but pretty rarely.

Baby Jogger Child Tray
Baby Jogger Child Tray
Price: $19.95
26 used & new from $19.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Just "ok", March 11, 2014
I like that the price of this is fairly reasonable and that it can be attached and removed without tools. The height works for us but my son is almost 3 and honestly it's even a touch higher for him than I'd like - but it works.

Downsides - it's not super smooth to get it open/shut or on/off - I have to really fight with it sometimes. As another reviewer mentions, it swings OUT but not down, which would make it a lot smoother to use. I am so used to trays to swing down that I keep trying to press it down once it opens. And for an older child, if they are not used to being trayed in (we just got a baby jogger having had an older bob with no tray) it can be pretty confining.

The primary reason I wanted this was because our Bob stroller has pockets in the kid compartment that you wouldn't think to be all that useful but which my kids really made use of for cups, toys, etc. The Baby Jogger strollers don't have those pockets. Honestly I'd rather have those pockets or maybe little cupholders/cubbies to go in the part the tray or belly bar clicks in, so the child can stash some loot but still have an open stroller feel.

I'm going to give one of those Brica snack holders that clamps on a go - I think it may suit our needs better.

Gold Bond Ultimate Intensive Healing Hand Cream
Gold Bond Ultimate Intensive Healing Hand Cream
Offered by AmericaRx
Price: $7.20
17 used & new from $1.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant relief from dishpan hands, March 6, 2014
My hands have been so red, rough, and painful lately between winter dry air and a less-than-gentle dish soap I have been using. I picked this up at the grocery store primarily because it was cheaper than the others I was considering (neutrogena and, I think, Curel). Slathered it on as soon as I got to my car and I could almost hear my hands sighing with contentment. This absorbs lightning fast and, as advertised, there is no heavy greasy feeling - you don't have to rub and rub and rub and then wait forever for it to really soak in like with so many other hand lotions. And - very important when your skin is seriously wrecked - there is NO burning, no stinging, nothing like that. Just instant soothing for your angriest skin. Amazing.

RECARO Performance BOOSTER High Back Booster Car Seat, Rose
RECARO Performance BOOSTER High Back Booster Car Seat, Rose
Price: $119.99
7 used & new from $119.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Just not feeling the love I expected, February 4, 2014
I am in the market for 3 boosters - one for my husband's car, two for my van, for two soon-to-be 6-year-old girls. I have only ever used the Graco turbo booster for my oldest child, and wanted something that went taller, something with more protection to the sides, hopefully something that latched and something that was comfy for the child. I would love for it to come in pink, purple, and red - and I thought this seat was just about perfect.

Taking this seat strictly for what it is - it is quite comfortable for the child. The covers are spectacular - deep, vibrant colors and smooth, sturdy materials that won't get pilly or fuzzy over time. The side/back support is high enough that as you raise the headrest and the child grows, the child is still nicely enveloped at the back and sides, which I like both for comfort and because the seat doesn't develop quite such an odd "E.T." appearance as some as you raise the headrest. It certainly goes nice and tall - however, when I test it with my tall but thin ten year old, while the height is good (with room to spare), he is squished in the shoulders, which makes me wonder how useful the height will be over the long haul. I suspect you won't be able to use the seat anywhere near the full limits of its height. I like that it is symmetrical with two open cupholders which means that if you plan to use this seat outboard in the 3rd row of a minivan you won't be faced with a seat where one one of the storage options can't be used (which would happen with cubbies that slide in and out - ie the Affix). The cupholders have rubbery inserts that can be pulled out for easy cleaning. It fits both my very petite almost-6-year-old and her much sturdier twin very well.

What I don't like about this seat is how it plays with the car. It is VERY wide. If you are putting this in a captain's chair in a minivan, it's not a big deal, but if you are putting it in a position where you would like to be able to have 3 across, it's going to be tough. I want to put 2 boosters in the 3rd row of my Odyssey - which may well be the narrowest 3rd row of all the minivans - and there is just no way for another person to sit between two of these. It is seriously monstrous. And while I would like a booster to have some sort of side to side support/protection, I'm not personally convinced that the extra cushion on the outside adds significantly in terms of safety. The width of this seat can lead to buckling difficulty in some seating situations - true to an extent of all boosters but I think this one may be slightly worse than the Graco. Finally there is the latch strap - it does not tighten. It is only meant to keep the seat secured in case you are in an accident and no one is using the seat. I understand this from a safety standpoint; however, another benefit to latching boosters is they stay in place as kids climb in and they don't migrate over on top of buckles. Latchable boosters do have some ease of use functions that are missing in this seat since the latch strap does not adjust. Furthermore, there is nothing grippy under this seat so if you have leather seats, you might find this seat slides around a lot (our prius does not, our van does). One more minor quibble - the armrests feel very cheap. They are not blow-molded and solid but rather an open shell, with the opening to the outside. It's a small point but I was surprised at how cheap they felt. If the cover is not lined up exactly right over the arm rest, it feels like the whole thing is twisted and deformed. (I actually thought our purple one was defective but it wasn't)

I think my biggest complaint is that this seat does not become backless. I knew this when I ordered it - but I assumed it wouldn't matter, since it goes so tall. However, due to the how narrow the inside dimensions are, for a bigger kid, I really think you are going to hit a point where the child no longer fits comfortably but still needs a booster. And it is a pity that this seat does not convert because it is such a nice, deep seat, it would be a fabulous backless booster for an older child. I know backless boosters are fairly inexpensive, but it would be nice if this one converted, as *many* (most?) other high back boosters do. The design of this allows it to come apart but it is not tested and approved in backless mode - I knew this before I bought it but wonder if that close-up shot of the hinge in the listing may lead people to assume the two come apart for backless use. The narrowness of the shoulder region plus the lack of option to convert to backless means I don't think this seat really has the longevity it appears to have on paper.

I really want to like this seat, but I just can't love it. My girls, for whatever reason, have both determined that our old Turbo booster is more comfortable than the Recaro (I don't know why, the cover is ugly so I know that didn't sway them, and they never agree on anything) We've decided instead on the Turbo with safety surround which, while it doesn't come in the colors I like, fits my girls wonderfully, has side protection without being monstrous, and becomes backless. I may need to re-evaluate down the line, but for now, for us, it's seems a better choice. If Diono's new booster was available now, I think we'd be going with that.

LiceMD Lice & Egg Treatment, 4-Ounce Bottle
LiceMD Lice & Egg Treatment, 4-Ounce Bottle
Offered by Integrity Sales LLC
Price: $12.29
24 used & new from $5.37

5.0 out of 5 stars One time did the trick for us, February 1, 2014
I don't know if this product it simply amazing, if I am the luckiest mom on earth, or if lice just aren't as big a deal as I always thought they were, but if we ever have the little critters again, this is the first product I am turning to. One of my kids came home from school with intense itching and lots of red speckles on the back of her scalp. I've never had to deal with lice and I didn't know that that was a tell-tale sign of lice (the school nurse had looked her over and sent her back to class - she wasn't sent home from school, just coming home normally). I washed her with dandruff shampoo that night but when it was still itching the next morning I looked and saw two bugs. Went out and bought this as it had worked for two friends whose kids had lice last summer.

Naturally, it was my daughter with the thickest, almost waist length hair who got the lice. I poured the entire bottle on her head. Put a cap over it and let her watch TV for a while (longer than the 10 minutes it suggests, I wanted to be sure) and then I started combing.

Make sure to have your child sit on towels when you comb out - this stuff will drip and run like crazy once you start combing. It is a messy process. I saw bunches of lice come out with the combing and they were all thoroughly dead. (We put one under a magnifying glass to check it out... kids thought it was neat) I combed and combed and combed until I wasn't seeing any more bugs. Washed her in the shower and immediately she had no more itching. Took her back to school the next day - she passed the nurses nit check but I did find a very, very few nits after that (I think - I can't be sure but whatever they were I slid them out with my fingernails)

I've been checking her and my other 3 kids ever since and we've had no more issues. And my kids are very close, always wrestling and hugging, so I was surprised no one else got it.

I did not go crazy with house cleaning - washed her bedding, carseat cover, and favorite stuffed animal, and vacuumed the couch and carpet in the room we spend most of our time. Everything I have read says you do not need to go overboard with the cleaning and it makes sense. Lice won't live long once they fall off, and it's not likely they will fall off on their own anyway. The nits are also not likely to come unglued and if they do, they won't hatch without the warmth of a nice little head anyway. It's possible that we just caught it very early so no heroic measures were needed but all in all, this was no where near the catastrophe I always expected lice would be.

I really like that this product is safe to use. It is basically a super concentrated conditioning gel that smothers the lice, rather than being a chemical that they can build up a tolerance to. No worries about poisoning your child in the process. And my friends who have dealt with lice before me swear this worked better than the chemicals - I skipped the chemicals altogether based on their experiences.

I did purchase the terminator nit free comb and some of the fairy tales products thinking I would need those as well - the nit ungluing mousse and the "lice repel" detangling spray. I was actually kind of looking forward to seeing how the nit comb would work but I haven't had to use it or the foam. I have been using the repel spray - it can't hurt, and it smells great and works well as a detangler, which my kids need anyway. (One of my friends says the green comb that comes with the LiceMD works better than the terminator comb anyway - but again, I wouldn't know - didn't get to use it!)

From my experience - the LiceMD is safe, not too expensive, and amazingly effective. If you find yourself with a lousy kid, don't panic and give this a try. Hope you are as lucky as we were.

Rubbermaid  LunchBlox Kid's Flat Lunch Box Kit, Purple/Pink/Green
Rubbermaid LunchBlox Kid's Flat Lunch Box Kit, Purple/Pink/Green
Price: $14.97
27 used & new from $10.48

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, colorful, but not the most versatile in the lunchblox line-up, October 9, 2013
The containers themselves are wonderful. Snap together, easy to stack for storage, easy to clean, and fairly leak proof. (If you put water in and squeeze you will get dribbles, so I wouldn't pack anything straight up liquidy in here like soup - but anything a little wet, like a salad with a dressing, should be good) Lids are easy for kids to open but not so easy they pop off on their own.

The colors in the kid's set are wonderful but you pay a premium for them. In addition, it's all or nothing if you want to use the ice pack, since it is one piece and sized to hold all the containers at once. We ended up purchasing the "entree kit" and prefer it to this. By going the way of the entree kit, you will get more containers and two smaller ice packs. Not as much ice overall but I'd rather have more containers and less ice. The colors aren't as pretty, but you get a lot more versatility. (And the containers are exactly the same - for some reason the adult ones don't promote leak proof or easy to open but the containers are the same)

Diono Radian Angle Adjuster
Diono Radian Angle Adjuster
Price: $11.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it is supposed to, but shouldn't have to be a separate item, October 8, 2013
The angle adjuster absolutely does what it is supposed to do - allows you to rearface your radian without the driver or passenger having to eat their knees. But for the price you pay for the radian and with this design flaw clearly being known to the manufacturer, it's ridiculous that this is their solution to the problem. Not only is it absurd that you have to add anything to get the most out this carseat, but the material used is reported in many reviews to compress over time so that you end up having to replace this. It's basically 4 or 5 thin layers of pool-noodle type foam glued together - pretty dense but not indestructable.

Basically this feels like a temporary solution. The seat needs to be redesigned so that no add-ons are needed or else the additional piece needs to be made more durable and should be included in your purchase. I can't think of any other seat that requires you to purchase an additional item to get the most out of the seat. While it is true you can use the seat without the AA, it is simply not practical for most vehicles, and with one of these seat's merits being extended rearfacing, it is ridiculous that achieving that goal is going to require the purchase of an extra piece of foam.

It's really hard to rate this item. It's like YES it works, however... Basically, it does what it is supposed to do, and it's not like there is a safe alternative, but it's crazy that you even need to buy it. At least it isn't *terribly* expensive? However, it does seem to run out of stock periodically so if you see yours starting to flatten, you might want to buy a new one as soon as you can, to have on hand - otherwise you may find yourself paddle-less up a certain undesirable creek. ;-) I'd have given it 4 stars if it weren't for complaints of it breaking down over time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20