Profile for Random Gamer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Random Gamer RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Xbox 360
XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Xbox 360
Price: $9.99
131 used & new from $5.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it., November 2, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I was a bit skeptical as I have not had much luck with franchise reboots in the past, but I can assure you... as an old school XCOM fan... this game is worth every penny.

Graphics are good, sound effects/music are good but the meat and potatoes of any game is the gameplay itself and this is where Enemy Unknown truly shines. It has great pacing. At no point in time did I feel rushed or under the gun (normal mode). It was just right. There is also a lot to do in terms of the research and engineering departments. The tactical combat is just as fun as I remember it but with all the cool things I could not see back in the day because of technical limitations. I really enjoy hiring the different soldiers and watching them blossom into badarse Colonels 1 by 1 mission by mission.

The ONLY thing I did not like was that the max amount of soldiers you can have in a mission is 6, drastically less than the old XCOM games. However, it is not enough to detract from my rating.

There is multiplayer also, which was pretty fun in the limited time I have spent with it but I plan on going back and refining my gameplan as it is very challenging (especially with some of the really good players out there)

Stop reading and just go buy it.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Cool, June 6, 2011
If there is one accessory I don't mind spending the money on it is my mouse. I used to be a Logitech only guy, until I switched to the Razer Lachesis and most recently, the Razer Mamba, all of which have been great mice throughout the years. (I still use my Lachesis at work after 4 years of heavy heavy use) Anyway, I took a chance with the Cyborg Rat9....and I am glad I did.

The sheer amount of customization options is crazy and it truly is "next generation" if I can say that at the expense of using an overused (often unwarranted) term. It actually comes with a case full of spare parts with different grips, weights, sizes. But perhaps the best customization option for me was being able to adjust the positioning of the thumb buttons (button 4 and 5 whatever you want to call them). With every mouse I have ever owned, the far button (button 5) was always just out of comfortable reach of my thumb. Whenever I wanted to press it I have to contort my hand a certain way. After a minor adjustment on my Cyborg RAT9, this button is comfortable to press and easily accessible by my thumb without me having to move the rest of my hand.

So why did I only give it 4 stars? I have had some weird things happen with the laser jumping on my screen. It has only happened a few times and by no means would I recommend not buying it because of these rare instances but it definitely was not something on my mouse mat. It hasn't messed me up at all with games like Starcraft 2 or WoW or Rift but I never once had any of my Razer or Logitech mice do this.

In case you are wondering about the rechargeable batteries, I can say that their life is sufficient and hotswapping between the two is seemless and not an issue at all. You have plenty of time from when you see the light blinking to when it runs out to make the switch when it is convenient for you.

If you have the cash, buy this mouse. I really hope Razer and Logitech take some notes from the Cyborg Rat9 and incorporate some or all of the customization options to their future models.

Killzone 3 - Playstation 3
Killzone 3 - Playstation 3
Offered by drum_video_games
Price: $19.97
287 used & new from $3.97

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought a Playstation 3 to play this...., March 4, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
...and I don't regret it one bit. I've had an Xbox360 since it was released and have been on the fence about getting a PS3 just to play the exclusive franchises (Uncharted, God of War, Killzone, etc) for awhile. Killzone 3 finally convinced me to take the plunge.

While not without its flaws, the online play feels very smooth and fast paced. Of course you have your standard fair Team Deathmatch mode (Guerilla Warfare as they call it in this game) but it also includes two other game modes: Warzone and Operations. For those who don't know, Warzone is basically one extended match thrown into a blender with all types of different game types occuring one after the other and Operations is an objective based assault/defense type match. The latter two match types remind me a lot of Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

The different classes are mostly enjoyable to play and there are a fair amount of unlocks (although I wish there was more in this department). But the real fun is in the action of each game. The look, the feel, the satisfaction of getting a brutal melee kill on some unsuspecting camper.

I can't really comment on the single player as I haven't started it yet but a lot of the reviews out there are mentioning that the voice acting is terrible. I could tell just from the opening movie that the cutscenes are going to be strained and the voice acting is indeed not up to snuff, but to me this game is worth retail price simply for the multiplayer.

Logitech G35 7.1-Channel Surround Sound Headset
Logitech G35 7.1-Channel Surround Sound Headset
Price: $91.97
55 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it, May 18, 2010
A few months back, I balked at spending over $100 on a headset, no matter what bells and whistles it came with. I have been using Logitech forever and had opted to go with the G330 which served its purpose. Unfortunately one of my cats chewed on the wire and I found myself in the market for a new set. I finally took the plunge and purchased this G35. All I have to say is "Wow" Here's a quick rundown of the Pros and Cons:

Pros:
Plug in and go, software takes 1 minute to set up and the control panel is instantly accessable

The set is big but its comfortable and does not weigh down on me even when im wearing glasses.

The surround sound is amazing. I really had to hear it to believe it.

Hot Buttons for iTunes (and other media apps) - This may be nothing to some people but I was getting annoyed with my keyboard media controls not working in some games. This completely eliminates that. I basically just press a button on the side of one of the earphones.

Amazing external noise dampening

Braided Cord - Again, to some this may not matter but the braided cord is much sturdier and is of sufficient length.
-------------------

Cons:

The only real con with these is the price. It is expensive for a headset but I have to say that I do feel like I got my money's worth, the 7.1 surround sound is that good.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 - Xbox 360
Battlefield Bad Company 2 - Xbox 360
Offered by DAGI SALES
Price: $9.37
334 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Battlefield Game Yet, March 30, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have been a fan of the Battlefield series since the Vietnam installment and this is definitely my favorite since Battlefield 2. I wasn't to crazy about 2142 or the first Bad Company but Bad Company 2 definitely captures the essence of what this series is about.

The single player campaign is fine. It's polished enough, has some humorous moments and flows well. However, the multiplayer is where this game far exceeds any other shooter on the market now. While I do enjoy Modern Warfare 2, I have to say that BF Bad Company 2 really does a better job of pacing and making you feel like you are in a battle.

The ranking/unlock system is also very well done. The final rank Achievement comes at rank 22 which is fairly easy to attain. After that the ranks start to take awhile but they are considered "officer" ranks and you will probably have all of the unlocks by then.

One thing I really enjoy is the ease with which you can customize each kit. There are lots of interesting options and different builds.

Bottom Line: If you are an FPS fan, do yourself a favor and get this game. I don't like to give perfect ratings to anything but this game is exactly what I've been waiting for since Battlefield 2 for the PC

Dragon Age: Origins - Xbox 360
Dragon Age: Origins - Xbox 360
Offered by DealTavern
Price: $24.99
155 used & new from $3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Game, February 20, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I'm a big fan of Bioware games but held off on this purchase for quite some time. I have to say that I really wish I hadn't waited. After my first playthrough I've logged 62 hours of gameplay and I will definitely play through completely 1 or 2 more times.

Quick version:

7.5/10 Graphics
10/10 Sound (Music and Effects)
10/10 Gameplay
10/10 Fun Factor
10/10 Replayability

Details:

Graphics: 7.5/10

I beat the game up here a bit because I think the graphics could have been a bit more polished. We're they bad? No. Could they have been a bit more refined? Absolutely.

--------------------

Sound: 10/10

The sound effects we're excellent, the voice acting was top notch and the music faded in and out seemlessly. I ordinarily play my own stuff while gaming but did not with this game.

Gameplay: 10/10

The controls were a bit clunky at first but I picked it up after about an hour or so. The unique origin stories for each race were a great way to set you up for how the game was going to play out. I found that once the main world became available that the game was open yet linear enough to keep me on track and moving through the story at a comfortable pace. Combat was fun and fast paced, the story was told well and there is plenty of lore to sink your teeth into.

Fun Factor: 10/10

The disc didn't leave my xbox for 3 weeks. (and I have a pile of top games still shrink wrapped waiting for me to play). Things started off fairly rocky, but I got sucked in after about 2 hours.

Replayability: 10/10

The guys and gals at Bioware are the masters of this in my opinion. I'm not one to replay games all that often but I *cannot* wait much longer to fire up a new character and do it over again. The sheer amount of decision making involved, plus the origin stories, multiple endings, and *very* interesting character classes/builds make this an easy one to play through 3+ times for me.

Definitely a must own for XBox360 owners

Bayonetta - Xbox 360
Bayonetta - Xbox 360
Offered by NYC Electronics
Price: $20.30
94 used & new from $8.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, January 26, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Bayonetta - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Very impressed with the ultra fast paced, well presented, fun gameplay. Replayability is immense and there are lots of options for upgrades and unlockables. This is basically a no brainer for any Devil May Cry fan, and for those looking for a breath of fresh air in this genre. Bayonetta simply kicks ass :)

Mr Coffee 12 Cup Coffeemaker
Mr Coffee 12 Cup Coffeemaker

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellence can be simple!, January 26, 2010
I recently purchased this coffee maker after my last one started to go downhill and am happy with my purchase. This is definitely a no frills, basic 12 cup coffeemaker but it works great, its easy to clean and it looks fine on the counter.

Left 4 Dead 2 - Xbox 360
Left 4 Dead 2 - Xbox 360
Offered by Price For Less
Price: $21.85
159 used & new from $9.00

2.0 out of 5 stars I feel like I got swindled, January 26, 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I regret paying full retail for this game when it was worth (at best) a couple rentals. I like first person shooters and zombie survival as much as the next fan, but this just doesn't do it for me.

Pros:

More weapons than the first
More polished than the first

Cons:

Still mediocre graphics
Got really boring for me very quickly despite the various game types
Feels like more of an attempt to "milk" the success of the first

Darksiders - Xbox 360
Darksiders - Xbox 360
Price: $17.44
142 used & new from $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game that hasn't gotten the credit it deserves, January 26, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Darksiders - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
All in all, I had no expectations going into this game but was very pleasantly suprised.

Great graphics
Great gameplay
Good sound effects and music
Decent Story
Decent Replayability
Difficulty was just right and pacing was pretty good.
Combat was fun

I was very dissappointed to see some of the mediocre reviews that a lot of websites gave this game. My first playthrough took me about 18 hours on normal difficulty and that was with a moderate amount of exploring. I have since put it back on the shelf in my "No Trade" pile. I will be playing though it again on the hardest difficulty at some point and am eagerly awaiting the inevitable DLC (I hope!)

Page: 1 | 2