Profile for Alexa Porter > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 42

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alexa Porter RSS Feed (Chicago, Illinois United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Thelma & Louise
Thelma & Louise
DVD ~ Susan Sarandon
Price: $8.14
165 used & new from $0.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, empowering female "buddy" film, June 16, 2014
This review is from: Thelma & Louise (DVD)
I've seen this many times before as most people have, but i got tired of trying to see it while suffering through endless commercials so I finally just BOUGHT it and now I have it for whenever I'm in the mood for a crazy, female action film (we don't have too many - all the exciting action films are men, usually 20 male characters trying to blow up a building in between countless car chases).

Elizabeth of York: A Tudor Queen and Her World
Elizabeth of York: A Tudor Queen and Her World
by Alison Weir
Price: $19.75
72 used & new from $10.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Very readable & entertaining account, June 16, 2014
Elizabeth of York was Henry VIII's mother, so one could read this as a way of understanding Henry as well as how aristocratic women lived in that era. Elizabeth of York was distinguished in her own right by being the daughter, wife, mother and - I think - cousin also of several different kings. She was surrounded by a fierce patriarchy of incredibly powerful men, warring family factions and constant intrigue that would have (and often did) destroy men, but she survived and stayed at the top. Not dry or boring, at least for anyone who likes to read about that era and the Tudors.

Shakespeare Uncovered Season 1 [HD]
Shakespeare Uncovered Season 1 [HD]
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Only bought one segment., June 16, 2014
I bought the segment with David Tennant narrating only because I had lost the DVD I had taped from the TV. Torn the house up - nowhere. So i finally caved in and had to buy it! Very nice program, he does a great job of narrating the explanation & background of Shakespeare's Hamlet - well worth it for people like me who are trying to learn Shakespeare (it's on my bucket list...).

Elvex EP402, Quattro Reuseable Ear Plugs, 25 dB NRR.
Elvex EP402, Quattro Reuseable Ear Plugs, 25 dB NRR.
Offered by Rock Ridge Sales, Inc
Price: $2.99
4 used & new from $0.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Earplugs, June 16, 2014
I never bought these and have no idea why they're on this list. I had looked at them but never came close to buying them.

The Shakespeare Collection - Macbeth, Romeo & Juliet, Twelfth Night, King Lear [Region 2 - Non USA Format] [UK Import]
DVD ~ Sir Ian McKellen
9 used & new from $15.62

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning:don't buy UK DVD;s, June 16, 2014
I guess this is something everybody knew but me; this is a DVD created in the UK and is incompatible with US DVD players. They were very nice about letting me return it & told me that it is printed down in the details but I had no reason to look there - or so I thought. So the next time you're buying a DVD which might be British, always double check.

Why Men Marry Bitches: A Woman's Guide to Winning Her Man's Heart
Why Men Marry Bitches: A Woman's Guide to Winning Her Man's Heart
by Sherry Argov
Price: $13.38
240 used & new from $2.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Change the title!!, May 14, 2014
I have emailed this author and asked her to change the title, but of course she didn't. The reason it should be changed is that this book should be in every high school library (and the one before it - "Why Men Love Bitches" - I believe but I may be getting it wrong). If I had read this book (and the one before it) in high school or college, my life would have been dramatically different (and dramatically better). It goes against all the "sweet little girl" stuff most girls are taught (yes, even still today), like how cute it is to be a victim all the time, how cute it is to constantly please men at the expense of your own success. It gives you brilliant advice on exactly how to handle men, love and romance - and how to handle yourself - so you come out with your sanity intact. Valuable advice for any woman of any age (Junior High on up); all girls and women need this book...!!

Fallen Idol [VHS]
Fallen Idol [VHS]
VHS
Offered by It's the Kismet, Stupid
Price: $21.04
3 used & new from $10.51

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorites - little known in America, May 14, 2014
This review is from: Fallen Idol [VHS] (VHS Tape)
An English production, B&W mystery - sort of (you have to be there) in which we know what happens before the police who show up and misinterpret things. Seen through the eyes of a little boy who also misinterprets things but that adds to the plot. Charming and well done; not your usual mystery.

Hamlet
Hamlet
DVD ~ David Tennant
Price: $12.48
10 used & new from $8.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining - fun to watch, May 14, 2014
This review is from: Hamlet (DVD)
Done in modern costume (the jury's still out on that one, there are scenes where it kind of doesn't fit), and of course it's kind of long, but I liked it. (Learning some Shakespeare is on my bucket list, reading it is pretty heavy going so I've cheated and resorted to Shakespeare movie productions.) David Tennant (the last Dr. Who) is a favorite and does a really strange, imaginative and entertaining job of interpreting Hamlet for us. My next step is to put on my tape of Olivier's version and compare the two - I'm sure I'll end up greatly preferring the Tennant version. I hear from my British friends that he got really good reviews for his performance so it's well worth seeing. Would be great for a high school class.

Broadchurch: Season 1
Broadchurch: Season 1
DVD ~ David Tennant
Offered by Garots Media
Price: $19.56
28 used & new from $15.49

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite mysteries..., May 14, 2014
This review is from: Broadchurch: Season 1 (DVD)
I first read a glowing reference to Broadchurch in the New Yorker, had no idea what it was. I tuned in to BBC America, watched the first episode without recording .- which I regretted because I ended up becoming totally sucked into this show, Usually it's the plot of the mystery that grabs you, but here it's the characters - brilliantly written and flawlessly acted by some of the best actors in England (and beyond). Olivia Coleman is not the same Olivia we're used to (at least in America); the usually gorgeous, dashing David Tennant (the last "Dr. Who") becomes a worn-out, beat up, middle aged cop, totally defeated by a screwed-up life. (You feel sorry for him and you'd probably like to buy him a beer, but you wouldn't think of going out with him.) These characters become people you feel you really know, the dialogue is that believable, the acting is that good - in fact SO good, you can look into the actors' eyes and know what they're thinking or what they're going to say next, something you can only do with real people in real life. I taped the rest; it took several DVDs, one got damaged, I never got the first episode so I just caved in and bought it - never regretted it. A Season 2 is coming up, presumably about the same people with a different murder? Who knows - but I'll certainly be there!

The Witches of Eastwick
The Witches of Eastwick
by John Updike
Price: $13.89
196 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun read about modern day witches, January 16, 2014
Haven't finished this but it's a fun read, a bit different than the movie but still really enjoyable. No vampires or blood or dead bodies - just good wholesome witchy fun!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5