Profile for Michael > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael RSS Feed

Masterpiece: Inspector Lewis, Season 4
Masterpiece: Inspector Lewis, Season 4
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Season yet., September 23, 2014
I have always enjoyed the Inspector Lewis shows but Season 4 is the best. The show has allowed Hathaway to evolve and the viewer is able to see more of this gifted but complex individual. The increase interaction between Lewis, Hathwaway, Hobson and Innocent has added a very positive dimension to the show. I do not watch much TV, but I do enjoy sitting back and enjoying an episode of Inspector Lewis.

Masterpiece: Inspector Lewis Season 2
Masterpiece: Inspector Lewis Season 2
DVD
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to spend 90 minutes, September 23, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed watching the season. While the mysteries are captivating the interaction between Lewis and Hathaway really makes the shows enjoyable.

Masterpiece: Inspector Lewis Season 1
Masterpiece: Inspector Lewis Season 1
DVD
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and thought provoking., July 31, 2014
Inspector Lewis is enjoyable to watch and each episode makes you think as you try to solve the case along with Lewis and Hathaway. The setting in Oxford, England with the university and it's historical buildings provide the series with a great background. The two main characters compliment and challenge each other well. I thoroughly enjoy sitting back and watching an episode in the evening after a long day. I highly recommend this series.

Escape from Plauen, a True Story
Escape from Plauen, a True Story
by Renate Stoever
Price: $24.61
30 used & new from $21.58

5.0 out of 5 stars War-it's is the children who truly lose, May 16, 2014
All who aspire to be national leaders, military officers or any elected official should be required to read books that show the real faces of the masses impacted by war and neglect. One of the books that should be included on the list of must reads should be Escape from Plauen- A True Story.

This biography shows the fear that one child lived with during the waning days of WWII, as well as the impact on her life as an adult. As the Second World War moved into the winter of 1945, the outcome was pretty much determined; however, there was still a great fear among Allied leaders that the German leadership would stop at nothing to try to stifle the inevitable. (Remember the Germans had targeted civilians as they ravaged key cities in England.) The strategy used by the Allies was to obliterate the enemy into submission. While the approach used by the Allies was viewed as effective, I have to wonder if there any considerations of its impact upon the civilians, specifically the children.

The author does an excellent job of showing how children were desensitized and robbed of their childhood. This author takes the reader through her life, including the end of the war and the partitioning of Germany, the oppressive rule of East Germany, the family’s escape to the West and their eventual resettlement in New Jersey. While the heroine/author is able to somewhat move beyond her war experiences and lead a successful and giving life, at times you can see the impact of those nights and days when she lived in fear of the bombers and the unknown.

During the last part of the book the reader is taken to Africa, India and a reservation in South Dakota. This is an effective means to show that even without war, mankind can still be unfair and insensitive to its fellow man.

Overall I found this book to be thought provoking, at times intense, but most importantly, it reminded me that mankind needs to give more thought to the impact of its strategies and actions. It also reminded me that members of the human race are survivors. We are resilient.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars MeeCase Is great, August 23, 2013
My IPAD fits well into the case and I feel that is well protected, if I accidently drop it. I have been trying to find a case for my IPAD that is reasonably priced, easy to use and feels solid. The MeeCase meets those requirements. The two angles offered meet my needs. In my office, on the go or in meetings it is easy to set up and it stays up. I am very satisfied with this product and highly recommend it.

Home For Christmas
Home For Christmas
Price: $9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Music is very soothing., December 20, 2012
This review is from: Home For Christmas (MP3 Music)
Sometimes I just close my eyes and listen and at other times it serves as background music as I work. As always the singing is great.

The Silver Fleet
The Silver Fleet
DVD ~ Ralph Richardson
Offered by Richard C. Brooks
Price: $8.19
24 used & new from $7.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting propaganda film, December 20, 2012
This review is from: The Silver Fleet (DVD)
Tells the story from the viewing of the occupied people. How does an occupied people handle the day to day occupation? This movies shows the fine line they must walk.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat the old fashing transitor radio, July 9, 2012
I use this on walks and the sound is great whether I am using earphones or not. It has been years since I had a transistor radio and I had forgotten how useful they are. It meets my needs on walks.