Profile for Scott > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 25

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Scott RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Android 3 SDK Programming For Dummies
Android 3 SDK Programming For Dummies
by Rajiv Ramnath
Price: $24.52
96 used & new from $2.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Step-by-Step guide is very helpful, November 25, 2011
A really nice book for Android developers. You do need some existing knowledge of SDK programming going into this book.

The main reason this was so helpful to me is that it's so current. I'd been using forums to try to learn this for a while. I scrounged around picking up tidbits of information. This is obviously much more efficient.

I like that it takes you through developing an app step-by-step. While you're obviously not just going to build an app out of thin air as you read the book, it is very helpful to refer to. That step-by-step guide is the main reason this is getting five stars.

Photoshop Elements 10 All-in-One For Dummies
Photoshop Elements 10 All-in-One For Dummies
by Barbara Obermeier
Price: $27.08
62 used & new from $11.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Only good things to say, November 24, 2011
THis book just came out and I'm glad I can be the first one to say that it is extremely up-to-date. I picked it up to re-familiarize myself after a long hiatus from photoshop. It's been a nice aid in getting re-acquainted with some things I used to know how to do and in learning a bunch of new stuff. I can honestly say I know a lot more about photoshop than I ever have before. It's allowed me to be productive editing photos right away.

There have clearly been a lot of changes made since the last time I used photoshop. Thank god I had this.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking For Dummies
Dragon NaturallySpeaking For Dummies
by Stephanie Diamond
26 used & new from $7.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Saved me a lot of learning time, November 24, 2011
First, I was shocked that I was able to find a book on this because I don't think it's a very popular product, even though NaturallySpeaking is a great technology. Some of the info in the book is unnecessary, like how to install NaturallySpeaking, which is pretty obvious if you've ever installed any software before. Beyond that, it's really helpful. It certainly saved me a lot of time and saved me from a lot of frustration.

In general, the language is simple and as interesting as literature on a computer program could be.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2014 3:50 PM PDT

Canon EOS Rebel T3/1100D For Dummies
Canon EOS Rebel T3/1100D For Dummies
by Julie Adair King
Price: $18.19
79 used & new from $13.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Really happy with my purchase, November 24, 2011
I'm loving the camera but it is somewhat confusing and the users manual is virtually useless. My experience with this book is the complete opposite. It explains the basics and the really in depth stuff for more advanced photographers.

As a beginner-this is my first camera-I've found this dummies book to be a friendly teacher. If you're in my situation, this book is definitely the way to go.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2013 4:18 PM PST

Mac OS X Lion All-in-One For Dummies
Mac OS X Lion All-in-One For Dummies
by Mark L. Chambers
Price: $23.32
64 used & new from $0.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Covers it all, November 24, 2011
Another impressive dummies book. The real strength of this one is its organization-its broken into 8 books that are specfic to different areas, such as Internet use and using iWork. Taught me a lot that I needed to know about Lion. I just wished I'd used something similar with my last Macbook because one section gives a ton of info on adding space to my computer, something I wasn't even sure I could do, and something I definitely didn't know how to do. Overall, very happy. Really does have everything "all-in-one"

Droid 3 For Dummies
Droid 3 For Dummies
by Dan Gookin
Price: $17.69
103 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're getting a Droid 3, get this!, November 24, 2011
This review is from: Droid 3 For Dummies (Paperback)
Really the only book you're going to need for the Droid 3. It's been really nice just to have this lying around when I run into problems. As usual with the Dummies books, Droid 3 for Dummies is written very clearly. It's obviously more engaging than any other manual or book on Android phones that I've been able to find. Though it's specific to the Droid 3, it also gives a nice general overview of the Android operating system.

A definite good buy if you're getting a Droid 3.

Windows 7 eLearning Kit For Dummies
Windows 7 eLearning Kit For Dummies
by Jennifer Fulton
Price: $24.49
69 used & new from $3.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Accelerated Learning Experience, November 24, 2011
The book really shines with its step-by-step full-color illustrations. It makes it really easy to follow along on your computer as you flip through the book. Makes for a great learning experience, even for someone who's used to using a computer with Windows.

The CD corresponds with everything in the book. I was happy to see there was no information gap there so it was easy following along with both. They compliment each other and result in accelerated learning, though the CD allows you to learn at whatever pace you're comfortable with, although I was already familiar with Windows so I was able to fly through.

Drupal For Dummies
Drupal For Dummies
by Lynn Beighley
Price: $22.22
62 used & new from $5.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for visual learners, November 24, 2011
This review is from: Drupal For Dummies (Paperback)
This was most definitely the best book I found on Drupal. I have very basic knowledge of programming and the book was simple for me to read and understand. I think the book was written with readers with less prior knowledge than myself in mind, though. I'm very happy with the book. It gave me a full overview and it takes you through the process of making a site with screenshots, which was awesome for a visual learner like myself.

Android Tablet Application Development For Dummies
Android Tablet Application Development For Dummies
by Donn Felker
Price: $20.15
58 used & new from $4.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding for developers who are just getting started, November 23, 2011
This is the perfect book for me-someone with a whole lot of ideas who never knows how to go about enacting them. It takes you through the basics of developing an app for Android tablets, a skill most people do not have. I was genuinely surprised that there was actually a book explaining development for Android tablets, as they're generally very new, but it really helps if you want to get ahead of the game and learn about developing apps. It really showed me that developing an app is not really a far-fetched idea.

As always with the Dummies series, the book is written very clearly. It's easy to understand even if you have close to no knowledge of this stuff going into it. I'm very pleased it.

Think Before You Engage: 100 Questions to Ask Before Starting a Social Media Marketing Campaign
by Dave Peck
Price: $21.66
56 used & new from $2.10

5.0 out of 5 stars An eye-opening introduction to social media marketing, November 23, 2011
An eye-opening look at marketing with social media. This not only describes how businesses today are using Facebook, twitter, and LinkedIn to their advantage, it sets forth a plan of action. Beyond getting set up on sites and actually starting your social media campaigns, it shows you how to keep track of your success, which was a key point for me since I already know how to use these sites, just not with Peck's expertise. A major focus of the book is also creating your own website (there's a huge chapter on this broken down into several sections). This is explained in very basic terms.

My favorite chapter is titled "Building an Online Identity" and it goes through the how-to of establishing yourself on the Internet, which I've found can just be a black hole if you don't do it right.

Overall, a nice introduction to social media marketing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3