Profile for M. Yatabe > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 25

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Yatabe "ymiked59" RSS Feed (Portland, OR USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Epson Home Cinema 2030 1080p, HDMI, 3LCD, Real 3D, 2000 Lumens Color and White Brightness, Home Theater Projector
Price: $799.00
9 used & new from $699.00

4.0 out of 5 stars At a distance the 1080 resolution makes a difference, November 17, 2013
I wanted a bigger screen for my home theater without having to pay extra for 'smart TV' stuff like Netfilx or wireless connectivity. Since I already own a PS3 and an AppleTV device to go with my Xifinity DVR box, I didn't need a TV that duplicated the features those devices provide. So I started looking at projectors.

After some research, I tried out the 720p version of this line of Epson projectors and from my coffee table eight feet away from my wall the images were AMAZING. I don't even have a screen, and the wall is tan paint with a satin finish, yet the images were vivid and bright and nearly the equal of my plasma - up to about 80". But when I moved the projector to the top of a bookcase on the back wall twenty feet away, the clarity wasn't good enough for higher resolution content.

I went back and exchanged the 720p version for this 1080p model, and I am very pleased with the result. I'm now watching movies and sporting events on an awesome 155" scale, the images are bright and vivid and clear, and the best part is that my 'screen' disappears when I turn it off. There is some fan noise, and if you have the "auto iris" feature turned on (helps with black levels) then there is a little bit more noise and some dimming on scene transitions, but I expected a little fan noise and just switched off the "auto iris" to stop the dimming quirk.

Not being any kind of projector nerd, I haven't tried to tweak anything or plan on getting a screen. I might get some blackout drapes for my windows because I do have a lot of ambient light, but even with no screen and a bright room, I am extremely satisfied with this product so far (owned it for two weeks.)

I do have all of my source content running to a home theater receiver that then forwards just the video signal to the device. I did test out the internal speaker just to see how it did, and highly recommend using some kind of external speakers if you care about good sound. The integrated audio would work fine for PowerPoint presentations in a small meeting room, but that's about it.

The Mating Game
The Mating Game
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The only word I can come up with to describe their sound is 'Shagadelic', January 10, 2013
This review is from: The Mating Game (MP3 Music)
Super fun music, and when I close my eyes I can imagine myself in the middle of a dance number from a 1960's movie... or driving along Hwy 101 near Malibu in a convertible MG... groovy baby.

3 PC. Garden Gnome Dress - 4-6 - Blue/Red
3 PC. Garden Gnome Dress - 4-6 - Blue/Red

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate, and fun for my seven year old girl., January 10, 2013
This review is from: 3 PC. Garden Gnome Dress (Apparel)
This costume doesn't come with the stripey stockings, just the hat, skirt/bodice, and little cape. I had to guess on the size, and it ended up being ju-u-u-st about the right size, so she won't be able to wear it again. It was fun for her, but not that warm, so she just wore it to the Halloween functions at her school and not out for trick-or-treating. Would have been better if the hat had come with some kind of chin-strap, but that should be an easy 'tweak' for anybody with some elastic and a stapler.

Gorilla Epoxy
Gorilla Epoxy
Price: $5.47
25 used & new from $3.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Follow the directions, this stuff works., July 17, 2011
I used this product to affix a piece of wood trim that kept getting pulled off of the front of my kitchen cabinets by the sink. I believe that the trim board worked itself loose because of proximity to the steam from the dishwasher/water splash from sink. Previously, I had tried Elmer's Wood Glue, and that didn't work for crap, despite prepping both surfaces, using a bunch of clamps, and waiting the appropriate amount of time. My three year old boy who likes to climb yanked it back off in no time. So I re-glued and clamped and waited, and it was the same end result.

So I decided to step it up and use an epoxy adhesive. If you're not familiar, these two-part solutions need to be mixed thoroughly prior to using, otherwise you end up with a wad of glop that doesn't stick the way it's supposed to. Always read the directions/RTFM and you should be fine.

Conveniently, the packaging says in several places that the blisterpack plastic itself can be used for a mixing tray, and the pack that I bought also came with it's own little wooden mixing stick. It also comes with a cap for the syringe so that you can try to save the unused solution for future projects. Very thoughtful. Other epoxy kits I looked at were without a mixing stick or a re-usable cap.

Following the directions; I prepped both surfaces (pried off layer of previous failed glue, sanded both surfaces to rough up the wood, wiped as clean as possible to remove dust/debris), mixed up the epoxy solution (inject to mixing tray and stir it around until the color/consistency is uniform), immediately spread it on both surfaces that contact each other (must use ASAP because adhesion strength decreases the longer you leave the unapplied mixture sitting), and used some low-tension clamps to hold the board in place while the Gorilla adhesive cured and set.

After 10 minutes, I removed the clamps and called my boy into the kitchen to have him try to pull off the trim board. It did not budge and it's been several months now with no failure.

Yes, I would recommend this project for simple home repair. I can attest that it works on wood that is exposed to moisture. I have the unused portion of the kit in my toolbox awaiting the next project.

**UPDATE 01/10/13 - It's still holding. And I've been asked what color this product is when it dries, but I'm afraid I can't say, because in my application the Gorilla epoxy is not visible. But, it's still holding.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2013 5:31 PM PST

Natalie's Rap (Album Version) [feat. Natalie Portman] [Explicit]
Natalie's Rap (Album Version) [feat. Natalie Portman] [Explicit]
Price: $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars "What you want Natalie?".... "TO DRINK AND FIGHT!!!!!!", May 1, 2011
N.Portman is a gangsta.

Don't mess with her, she be scary and WILL go upside your dome with a quickness.

Believe that.

"No more questions."

Soundstream STL4.500 4-Channel A/B Amplifier (Black)
Soundstream STL4.500 4-Channel A/B Amplifier (Black)
Offered by WoofersEtc
Price: $169.99
2 used & new from $117.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Soundstream quality in a very compact package., April 30, 2011
I selected this unit as a budget-conscious alternative to the JL Audio HD series or the ARC Mini series of multi-channel amplifiers. I've known a few people who have gone with the Soundstream brand, and I've always heard good things. If you've read some of my other car audio equipment reviews, you'd know that I have a challenging vehicle in which to try to install equipment (Toyota Tundra 2006 Double-cab), which is why I was interested in finding a compact size amp to add to my system.

First off, after unpacking the STL4.500 amp I have to say that I was 'wowed' by the size. I uploaded a picture above where you can see how big it is compared to a PS3 game controller. Since I intend to eventually mount it in a small storage compartment under my back seats, I needed a compact amp, and at just 6.5" wide by 2" tall by 11.25" long, it will fit perfectly. However, being impatient as many of us are and not having taken the time to replace the factory wiring in my doors yet, I went ahead and swapped it into my subwoofer setup. I had a Rockford Fosgate Punch 300.1 that was running my sub, and I thought THAT was a small amp, but the Soundstream is about two-thirds the size of the Rockford. Impressive.

Appearance wise, I love the way this little amp looks. The branding isn't overly flashy like it is for some other makers (I'm talking about YOU, Power Acoustik), but the spider badge and iconic Soundstream logo gives enough personality to avoid being boring/bland. Shiny black acrylic top does show fingerprints, so that's one more thing to wipe down if you're putting one or more of these in a show-off ride. The chrome accents are NOT permanently attached, which should be good news to people who find it kinda ugly. (The actual purpose of the chrome accent bars is to use them for brackets if you want to stack multiple Stealth series amps, so they're not just for show.)

Installation; I have it mounted under the passenger seat with an 80amp inline fuse at the battery and 4-ga power/ground leads. Power/ground accepts 4-ga size wiring and the speaker terminals up to 8-ga. Soundstream conveniently provides an allen wrench of the appropriate size for tightening the connection terminals, which I thought was a nice touch. I bridged the amp from four channels down to two, so it's supposedly pushing 250 watts x 2 @ 4-ohms to my Alpine Type-R 1242D in a sealed box. I have been hitting it hard for the past couple of weeks, and I haven't had any technical problems yet. The equalization frequencies of the Soundstream are different than the Rockford (which was purpose-built for subs) so the tones hit a little differently, but it's still clean and definitely powerful. Output is comparable to my Rockford... enough that I'm now considering leaving my Rockford on the shelf and purchasing the STL1.600D to brand-match this STL4.500...

Class A/B circuitry at 4-ohms doesn't seem to be stressing out too much. It does get warm even while sitting under the seat with adequate venilation, but not burning hot like other analog circuitry amps I've had in the past. This is great for me since I will be attempting to install it in a not-very-well venilated compartment. However, when I DO get around to that, it won't be trying to push the same kind of load it is now, so tempurature shouldn't be an issue. There is thermal protection on the STL4.500 just in case, though, so it shouldn't catch my truck on fire before it overheats... worst case scenario.

There are all kinds of dials for settings and equalization (gains front/rear, crossover points, etc.), which is great for an amp that is likely to be used as the heart of your system. My one big complaint, however, is that the wires are at one end, while the RCA connections and settings controls are at the other end. My personal preference is for everything to be on one side or accessible from the top. It took a minimum of tweaking for me to get my amp bridged and adequately dialed in - bearing in mind that I'm currently using this as a subwoofer amp. I'm sure it will take a bit more extra effort to get the settings correct for when I use it for my door speakers.

All in all, it's exactly what I had hoped it would be so far. I'll post an update in a few months once I've gotten my act together and upgrade/rewire my door speakers. I will say this; as a sub amp, the STL4.500 is tiny and powerful and economical for what it does. I'm excited to see how it does as a full-range system amp. Very happy with this purchase.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2011 4:40 PM PDT

NFL Oakland Raiders Kitchen Towel Combo
NFL Oakland Raiders Kitchen Towel Combo
Price: $13.29
2 used & new from $11.71

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice for 'show', not great for function., April 12, 2011
I bought these as a gift for my wife - we're both hardcore fans of the Oakland Raiders - with the purpose of her being able to use them as gym towels.

Well, the overall quality of these towels is "meh"...

The size of the towels is good, the designs are nice, the logo is well done, but it would be cooler if it was stitched into the towels rather than silkscreened onto the towel. Having the logos silkscreened onto the towels means that there's large patches of non-absorbent latex infused into them, thus taking away from their effectiveness.

If all you're looking for is to put a logo on everything that goes with your grill set or your golf bag, then these would probably be cool. If you're looking for high quality towels that have full functionality as towels, then you should probably just buy plain towels.

Hobart 770122 Lug Crimper
Hobart 770122 Lug Crimper
Price: $18.16
2 used & new from $13.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for using brute force instead of soldering connections..., April 12, 2011
I bought this item for the purpose of making large gauge (4ga+) size power cables for car audio projects. Compared to the large gauge handle crimpers that cost up to ten times as much to perform the same function, this little unit is absolutely awesome. Just add hammer!

I wanted to use crimping rather than solder to attach my terminal ends to my cables, because large gauge wire soldering is a knack that I don't have. Also, I have small children who like to "assist" me with projects involving tools, so it's safer for me to hand my three-year old son a hammer and allow him to take a few whacks, than it is for me to hand him a large gauge wire along with a soldering pot or a torch...

To this point, I've been extremely satisfied with ease of use and how well it accomplishes the task for which it is designed. I've been pounding away with bad intentions while adding terminal connectors to my 4ga grounding and power cables and it crimped a secure connection to the end of every cable thus far.

Pros; very sturdy, does what it is intended to do. Fits into my toolbox - which is something that the large gauge handle crimpers would not do.

Cons; a little tricky keeping the crimper upright while also keeping the terminal connectors properly placed on the ends of the cables. People who have a lot of thumbs and/or poor aim with a hammer should beware. Perhaps it would be improved with a broader baseplate or a built in mounting bracket that I could use to attach to my workbench in order to steady the mechanism.

All in all, I'm very happy with the price that I paid for this crimper, and how well it performs what it's supposed to do. I can attest that it is very useful in the context of car audio cabling, and imagine that it would also work great for welding cables and other large gauge power wire crimping applications.

Rockford Fosgate Punch P300-1 300-Watt Mono Amplifer
Rockford Fosgate Punch P300-1 300-Watt Mono Amplifer
2 used & new from $200.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge this amp by it's size, this thing HITS., October 14, 2010
I have my Punch 300.1 running at 2ohms on an Alpine Type-R 1242D in a sealed box. The amp is installed underneath my front passenger seat with plenty of room to spare. It hasn't gotten all that hot yet, and it sounds GREAT (especially at extremely high volume...)

The amp itself looks sharp, is well contstructed (all of the inputs, wiring, and adjustment knobs are at one end, which helps to keep things clean & organized when installing), it's very compact, and way more powerful than you might think. These amps come out of the box with a test sheet that is often 100+ watts HIGHER than the rms numbers that are on the stock spec sheet. This is a nice surprise for anybody buying one of these new.

Installation is a bit more advanced than other entry level priced amps. There is no on-board fuse for protection, so you'll also have to pick up some kind of inline fuse or fuse block. There are compression wiring terminals that can accept up to 4ga power/ground connections. The large size power/ground wiring terminals are obviously needed, because this little amp is also a power hog. It's probably a good idea to add a stiffening cap to your system if you're going to crank it up, because Rockford amps don't tend to be overly efficient. That being said, I've been pounding away on my system and my headlights haven't dimmed out yet... but I do have a Tundra with a V-8 that can handle more demanding power draws on the stock alternator than a smaller engine.

However, I would like if the adjustment knobs were more accessible because the downside to the amp design is that it can be difficult to reach the recessed dials depending on your installation. A lot of people probably won't care though, because "normal" people (not gear heads or stereo geeks) will simply "set & forget" and never touch the dials after installation.

To sum up; this is one of the best little amps I've ever owned. Yes there are some quirks, but you get a lot more out of this entry-level priced amp than you do from other brands in it's price range. If you pair the Punch 300.1 up with an appropriate subwoofer setup, you will not be disappointed.

********************

UPDATE 3/06/2011

"The Little Amp That Could" is still going strong. I like to listen LOUD and I push this thing pretty hard almost every day, and I haven't had a single problem in the six months since I first installed it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2011 7:16 AM PDT

Alpine SWR1242D / SWR-1242D / SWR-1242D 12 DVC Car Subwoofer
Alpine SWR1242D / SWR-1242D / SWR-1242D 12 DVC Car Subwoofer

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't need a ton of space, hits hard, hits LOOOOWWWW..., October 14, 2010
I have just one of these in a sealed box about 1.25 cu/ft, not stuffed with polyfil. I'm driving it with both voicecoils bridged so that my amp is seeing a 2-ohm load (amp is Rockford Fosgate 300.1 putting out ~400 watts rms mono.) The construction of the connection terminals that allows you to use jumpers to bridge at the speaker makes wiring a lot easier than usual. That is a great design feature.

Honestly, I've had about five different subs of various sizes and brands in my truck, and the Type-R 1242D is letting me hear deeper sub-bass frequencies than any of the others before it. I'm VERY impressed with the performance of this speaker. I honestly can't imagine how much more bass anybody would really need than a single one of these, much less some kind of dual-sub setup in a bandpass box with 1000+ watts driving them as I've seen others do in vids posted online.

You get two of these in the right box with an appropriately sized amplifier and a stable power supply, and you will LITERALLY be able to blow skirts off.

Indeed.

*************

UPDATE 3/06/2011

The rearview mirror on the driver's side of my Tundra is vibrating loose.

Seriously.

*************

UPDATE 4/28/2011

Made some adjustments to the box, stuffed with appropriate amount of polyfill (pillow stuffing), also added a mounting ring to the front of the box in order to make the cutout the correct size. That is one thing to be aware of when mounting this sub; the cutout is slightly smaller than the "one size fits all" cutout that is found on most boxes. If you plan on running a sealed box like I am, you'll want to be sure you've got the size of the cutout correct, so read the specs prior to doing any cutting.

I also now have it running off a 4-channel amp bridged down to two channels running 250x2 (watts rms) at 4ohms. Slightly more wattage going to the sub, and with that and the box tweaks, I swear it sounds (and feels) like a PAIR of subs.

Still extremely pleased with performance and durability.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3