Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports
Profile for Susan Baller-shepard > Reviews

Browse

Susan Baller-she...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Susan Baller-shepard "Editor Spiritual Book Club" RSS Feed

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for What Comes Next!, April 5, 2009
Ruth Everhart is a gift writer, and I found myself delighted with lines that surprised me, like, "The terrycloth was cheap and rough and already damp, as un-comforting as every other thing in my life." Even from the opening chapter, something is unsettled for the protagonist Ava, and I want to know what that is, and how it will be resolved.
Other lines leave me to wonder what is coming next, like, "What does that mean? Am I living the life Grandma wanted for me, and not the one I wanted?" The character Ava is not easily pigeon-holed which makes her engaging, and leaves me as a reader wanting more than just two chapters. Of seagulls she writes, "We don't have food," I told them. "Don't be hopeful," and I wonder about Ava, what is she hungry for, what makes her lacking in hope?
This was a quick read for me and leaves me wanting to know the rest of the story, what is going to play out in Ava's life? Ava appears to have backbone and moxie, how will that play out in her life as a clergywoman? What will be her challenges ahead and how will she face them, given her strength of character? Ava is not a cardboard cut out of a woman of the cloth, and this novel feels both new and refreshing. Really looking forward to reading more of what Ruth Everhart has to offer.

My Go to Bed Book
My Go to Bed Book
by Hildegarde Ford
Edition: Board book
29 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great children's book with retro images, December 8, 2007
This review is from: My Go to Bed Book (Board book)
Hildegarde Ford's "My Go to Bed Book" is a treasure, as are Mary Win's illustrations. This book hearkens to an earlier era, and I love its simplicity and style. Each illustration is a beauty, and it illustrates too a loving relationship between the mother in the story and the child.
The fact this book was originally published so long ago is amazing, as children still enjoy it today.