Profile for venamousentree > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

venamousentree RSS Feed

JLab Go Waterproof / Sweatproof / Sports MP3 Player Headphones - 4 GB - Black/Gray

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked great at first, now major issues., August 23, 2011
Let me start off by saying I've been waiting a long time for a set of headphones like these. I just got back from my inaugural workout with them by doing a sprint triathlon, and in most ways, they were a pleasure. They stayed in place while I was running and biking like they were glued to my head. While swimming, they did tend to come out a bit while doing freestyle, but I was able to adjust on the go without issue.

The sound was surprisingly great while swimming. To tell you the truth, I expected it to have that 'underwater' garble to the music, but it was crisp, clear, and plenty loud even at about 40% volume. Quality mid-range headphones all around, which is perfect for the gym. These would be great for anyone looking for a waterproof set of headphones to throw in the gym bag, carry to the lake, run in the rain, etc. No longer will I have to worry about destroying my headphones or cell phone when the weather isn't cooperating and I still want to get a workout in.

There was only one issue that I have with them. The underwater tips are fairly aggravating to the ear canal. This isn't something I think can necessarily be avoided, or even changed as far as design goes, but if you hate the feeling of having something in your ear, these aren't for you. They are meant to have a seal, and unfortunately you do sacrifice comfort for utility.

EDIT: After using these for two weeks, I started having major issues with these headphones. First, the sound started coming in and out. It would be very soft, then only the left headphone would work, then back to very soft. Second, the buttons weren't working correctly to change the music (for example the track back button completely died on me). Third, the battery life was abysmal. I have been training for a sprint triathlon, and these would die after around 1.5 hours worth of use even though I charged it all night. Contacted JLab and they advised me to reset the firmware, which I did at the sacrifice of not having a shuffle function. This seemed to fix the issue for about a day, but then the buttons did not work again.

I just got back from the gym, and was able to run for 4 miles, bike for 15 miles, and swim for 500 meters before the battery died. This was less than 2 hours, and again the battery was charged all night. I don't know if it's an issue with the unit itself (ie the engineering or the seal itself), or an issue just with the battery.

Previously, getting things replaced has been a pleasure with JLab, but I just got off the phone and I'm irked that they wouldn't send me out a new unit until I sent the old one back. That means I'll unfortunately have to go back to regular headphones and no music while swimming while this gets sorted out (around a week is what I'm told). Bummer. And talking to the CS on the phone, they mentioned they've had multiple people sending them back for problems, so it isn't an isolated issue. This product is potentially life-changing, but I'd probably hold off until the issues are worked out.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2012 1:58 PM PDT