Profile for PCHistoryGeek > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

PCHistoryGeek RSS Feed

The History of the U.S. Armed Forces
The History of the U.S. Armed Forces

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent compilation, September 4, 2010
I'm slightly disappointed now because I paid A LOT more money for this set on the History site. I have a ton of DVD sets about all of the various wars and battles in which we've been engaged, but I was looking for a set that was more about the people and the history of the distinct units/branches involved. This box set is unique in it's content and fit my bill perfectly.

It's more a compilation of different episodes all relating to similar subjects as opposed to a single large production. That's fine for me and much better than hunting down each individual episode and having 17 separate DVDs cluttering up my case! The only drawback for me is that I would've liked a little more about the Marines as well. However, the other three major branches are covered extensively including an episode on the Coast Guard.

TRENDnet 300Mbps Wireless N Access Point TEW-638APB (Black)
TRENDnet 300Mbps Wireless N Access Point TEW-638APB (Black)
Price: $39.99
71 used & new from $30.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better option for Xbox 360 connectivity, October 21, 2009
I keep my router in my office down in the basement. I wanted to bring internet upstairs to my living room to connect my Xbox and Blu-ray player without drilling through the floor and running wires. Though I can only plug one of them in at a time, this little bugger works very well.

Basically it performs one of two functions selected at setup. You can either tether it to your router by wire and use it to expand Wi-Fi access through your home, or you can use it as a wireless access point where it picks up the Wi-Fi signal from your router and it distributes net connectivity to another computer/component via a wired connection.

Setup was a little trickier for me as I have a fully locked down network, but no real problem, just an extra couple of steps. If you know enough about networking to fully block only approved MACs, then you will know where to go to fix that. My only hang-up (just an oversight really) was in the Security Algorithm for the pass code used so I just had to fiddle for a second and everything worked fine. If your home router setup is less complicated you should be able to breeze through setup in a minute or two.

I leave it on all the time. Once every couple weeks, it seems to lose it's signal. Just unplug it for a sec then reboot and you'll be up and running again quickly. This is a VERY cost effective solution for bringing the Net to any location where you don't want to run wires...and a far superior solution to bringing Xbox Live to your system without purchasing that overpriced little MS dongle.

UPDATE: 11/19/2009: What does dog this down a bit is that it only runs in the 2.4Ghz band. This is slower than the 5Ghz band that my new router supports. This is still a good cheapie option for connecting to your Xbox, PS3, Blu-Ray...but it could be better. I'm going to buy something new that will get me into the 5Ghz world.

XIGMATEK Dark Knight II SD1283 Night Hawk Edition CPU Cooler with Stealth Aerospace Industry Thermal conductive ceramic coating ALL intel AMD IVY BRIDGE compatible

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a beast!, October 20, 2009
This heatsink is unbelievable. I replaced a much smaller Coolermaster hs/f with this one after my mobo started beeping at me on startup and during some games. Turned out the fan wasn't running well enough so my new Intel Quad was getting a little warm. No problems anymore and all my components are running at under 30C. The heatsink is so massive by itself that I doubt you even really need the fan for regular use, but hey, the cooler the better!

I'm an A+ tech so the installation wasn't too horribly scary. It's not as easy as popping on a bundled Intel fan, but we're looking for better performance than that anyway. You should be fairly comfortable with hardware upgrades before you attempt something like this as in most cases you will need to extract your motherboard to secure the hs retainer plate beneath it before securing to the CPU. I was impressed by the overall construction quality at this price point and the performance is outstanding...especially considering the one that I just replaced.

No cons from me. I feel like I got a good value for a quality product.

Sodastream Fountain Jet Soda Maker Starter Kit
Sodastream Fountain Jet Soda Maker Starter Kit
Offered by Wayfair
Price: $69.61
12 used & new from $45.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent product...Awful Company., September 9, 2009
PROS: Overall I would say that I do enjoy this product. As a confirmed and clinically studied "soda addict" this product has saved me from my regular late night trips to the store when I would run out of Coke/Pepsi. My wife loves that there aren't bottles stacking up in the garage anymore. We really enjoy the flavor of the Orange, Root Beer, and Ginger Ale. Guests think it's cool.

CONS: The "Cola" flavor isn't even close to Coke/Pepsi. It tastes more like one of those generic store-made 3 liter brands. I really can't stand it and do tend to grab a real Coke when I'm out and about.

The company IS truly terrible. My biggest rub is that on both of my orders they overcharged my CC beyond what it said on my invoice. $1.44 for my first order, $0.20 for my second order. Customer service said that it was an "international transaction fee" because the company was in Ireland. If there is a fee, it should be on my invoice! Check your bank account regularly if you do business with this shady bunch.

Second, they charge a state sales tax on my orders despite the fact that they don't have a business presence in my state, nor do they have a Tax ID in my state required to collect the tax. Being that they can't even PAY the tax without such ID, one can only imagine where the money is going. Besides all of that tax business, food products (the mixes) are exempt from sales tax in my state anyway! My first tax amount on my order was refunded stating that it was a mistake for their website to charge the tax...yet they're still doing it.

Third, email customer service is lacking. In a month, I've sent 5 emails relating to taxes, overcharging, "Where is my order after three weeks of no information". Only one email has ever been answered.

It's a good enough product, but it's such a shame that this company is so bad. I just can't find another company that sells a similar product so I'm stuck fighting with these guys since I already invested $200 in product to get started. Had I known it would be like this, I would've held off.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2011 10:29 AM PDT

G.I. JOE The Rise Of Cobra Official Movie Prequel
G.I. JOE The Rise Of Cobra Official Movie Prequel
by Chuck Dixon
Price: $14.67
140 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A short read..., August 29, 2009
I watched the movie and was anxious to suck up some more G.I. Joe v.2009 so I bought this graphic novel. I am only disappointed because I read through it in about 15 minutes and don't see any value in going through it again. The live action shot of Sienna Miller's "Baroness" is super-hot if you like leather-clad hotties with guns and I haven't seen this picture anywhere else...I would LOVE to have it hanging on my wall!

The stories breakdown basically like:

1. Duke in an old "Nam-style" jungle mission
2. Destro in an arms deal gone awry with some Frenchies
3. Baroness working over an oil sheik to gather intelligence in his well-secured home
4. Snake Eyes infiltrating & neutralizing a hostage situation

Saying more about the plots would give away too much of what little story is told. Given the price, I was kind of expecting a full comic worth of story for each character and maybe that's where I went wrong. They are decent enough stories and the artwork is fine; just be prepared to get through everything fairly quickly.

Sanyo SR-2570M 2.5-Cubic-Foot Refrigerator, Platinum and Black
Sanyo SR-2570M 2.5-Cubic-Foot Refrigerator, Platinum and Black

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great fridge., August 29, 2009
This one is terrific. I bought it for my basement office so I don't need to run upstairs whenever I need a sip of something. It looks really nice with the stainless steel front. It holds more than any mini-fridge I've ever owned. The can holder is great. If you need to stand up big bottles there is the door which will hold about two, or you can just remove the bottom shelf and then you're all set. A 12pk of bottles fits in here easily as well as 2-liter soda bottles with a shelf still above everything for your little whatevers. It keeps things really cold on a medium setting.

Now about the noise, as I noticed that many other have commented about it, but some of the reviews are old. I don't notice it one bit. Granted, I have a dehumidifier and an air purifier down here but even so, it's not even remotely distracting. I'm not sure if they changed the manufacturing process since earlier reviews but the sound is totally insignificant. Yes it makes a sound because it's a compressor but I seriously don't notice it. Mine is made in Mexico, so I feel a little better about it than if it were made in China.

I'm a Prime member so this came next day for $3.99...I couldn't imagine where you could get a 44lb anything shipped for such a low price in one day. Amazon rocks and so does this fridge.

Logitech Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote Control (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by IsaacTronics
Price: $249.99
25 used & new from $50.00

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a git-er done kinda remote!, July 24, 2009
This remote replaced a pile of constantly lost remotes. I replaced a Comcast issued Scientific Atlanta remote (with the stupid A,B,C) buttons with this one as well as my Panasonic Blu-Ray, Toshiba 46" TV, my Sharp Air Conditioner, my junky Cybermedia 5.1 speaker amplifier and more. We even have a fan in the bedroom that this remote will control!

What I don't like is so insignificant compared to the quantities of remotes that this replaced as well as the ease of setup. Not to mention the fact that you don't need to replace the batteries as there is a charger stand...which also doubles as "The place where the remote should be!" if you ever need to yell at anyone about the missing remote. Complaining about button placement seems petty when this little unit will control everything that we have supporting a remote.

I love this little thing. It's saved me from the ridicule of friends who come over and laughted at all my remotes. It is comfortable and backlit. The website is great with many customization options. It took me about two hours of running from the living room to the computer to get everything square...but it's all good and my family is happy. 5 stars Logitech!

Enter the Dragon [Blu-ray]
Enter the Dragon [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Bruce Lee
Offered by HARVEST MOUSE, LLC
Price: $19.98
27 used & new from $3.13

5.0 out of 5 stars So awesome., July 5, 2009
This is one of the single movies (besides the original SW trilogy) that I've owned in most possible formats - VHS, Beta, LD, DVD, and now Blu-Ray. This one seems better to me. I'm not sure why besides just the picture quality, but there are parts that seemed new to me.

I haven't done any kind of in depth research as to why and I don't care to. I'm just saying that it seemed different and longer to me. Much Better! I've loved this film since I was a little kidlet and it almost felt like seeing a brand new version of it.

I can't wait until they release it in hologram or direct-to-brain (DTB) format because I'll buy those too! This is just one of those films that always tears it up for me and this Blu edition is absolutely fantastic.

Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-ray Disc Player (Black)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-ray Disc Player (Black)
Offered by Goldstar Tech
Price: $179.99
9 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I really like it., July 5, 2009
I actually had to upgrade my 2 year old 37" 720P TV to keep up with this one. You know...others can rant and rave about all of the technical stuff. All I have to say is that:

- It looks great in my entertainment center
- People notice and say, "Wow you have a Blu-Ray"
- The picture and framerate is stunning if you have it hooked up to a HDTV that can keep up with it (which I had to get because my 2 yr old TV wasn't up to 24fps 1080P).

I don't know squat about the YouTube and other networked capabilities. I just know that it's been terrific. I poured over research for two days before buying this here and after a month of use, couldn't be happier with the result.

UPDATE 1/23/2010: Now I do know more than "squat" about the networking. It works great, plus the automatic firmware updates make this a very attractive option. I use it to watch my Amazon VOD purchases and it looks great in HD or SD. I just buy or pick my Amazon movies and tell it on my PC to save for viewing later on my Panasonic...then go to the VieraCAST section of my player and can view my entire purchased Amazon library on my HDTV. Streaming on mine is very fast (though I'm sure that has more to do with my 802.11n router). This machine continues to exceed expectations.

Capitalism II [Download]
Capitalism II [Download]

4.0 out of 5 stars A little dated, but still very cool., May 22, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This used to be one of my favorite games back in the old Windows 98 days. It does work on my Vista 32 PC though it always crashes when it closes, which isn't a big deal because I'm closing it anyway. It easily restarts and runs smoothly in the same Windows session without a reboot after the quitting crash. It does minimize and restore without failure for those who have more in there lives to do than just play games.

For me it's one of those "Civilization" style just one more minute kind of games - not Civ in that it's turn-by-turn because it's not - it's a pausable RTS game - I just meant that it's hard to want to stop.

10 years ago I would've given it 5 stars but now it's just a little too dated for new initiates. For those who used to love it back in the day, it's still the same fun little distraction and it does run well enough on a modern OS.