Profile for Tony Heck > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1260

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tony Heck RSS Feed (Belgrade, MT USA)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
Captain America: The Winter Soldier [Blu-ray]
Captain America: The Winter Soldier [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Chris Evans
Price: $19.99
33 used & new from $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The movie is OK & worth seeing but there's no tension or suspense knowing what the next movie will be like., September 7, 2014
"That's not freedom, that's fear." Steve Rogers (Evans) is still trying to adjust to life in the modern world but he does have Natasha (Johansson) and Nick Fury to help him. Thinking there may be a problem inside the walls of S.H.I.E.L.D. Fury warns Rogers not to trust anyone. He takes this to heart and when Fury is killed Rogers becomes a fugitive from the organization. He must now fight the mysterious Winter Soldier in order to avenge Fury and also to clear his name. The first thing I will talk about are the good things about this movie. The Avengers movies seem to be leaning more to the adult side with a real story line and leaning less on the special effects that earlier comic book movies fell back on. This one is no exception. It is dark and has depth to it to make you interested in what is happening rather than what is blowing up. They all do a great job of tying into each other which makes it feel like one long story rather then separate stories they attempt to tie together. On the other hand the fact that they keep pumping these movies out is what made the main plot of this movie not work. The whole movie has to deal with the leaders of S.H.I.E.L.D. becoming corrupt and Captain America being an outcast. The fact that they have already started to film Avengers 2 and have announced Captain America 3 takes away all the tension and suspense of Rogers and Fury's story lines. From the beginning you know that Fury will be fine and Rogers will clear his name and fix what is wrong with S.H.I.E.L.D. If they wanted to really have the viewer wonder what will happen they shouldn't have announced future plans for the series. To me the Avengers movies have become more of franchise done solely to make money rather than movies done to tell a story. While they do make a killing when they come out they are starting to cheapen the industry and are watering down the product. There is failure to see that the longer the series goes on the more it will take away from what has been done so far. If you don't believe me now you will when Iron Man 6, Captain America 5, Thor 6 and Avengers 7 all come out. Overall, the movie is OK and worth seeing but there is no tension or suspense already knowing what the next movie will be like. I give it a B.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2014 8:02 AM PST

Brick Mansions
Brick Mansions
DVD ~ Paul Walker
Price: $11.99
26 used & new from $4.52

3.0 out of 5 stars If you like the Fast & Furious movies you'll like this. For me it was repetitive & felt longer then the 90 min run time, September 7, 2014
This review is from: Brick Mansions (DVD)
"Revenge and justice are not the same thing." Damien Collier (Walker) is an undercover cop who wants to take down Tremaine (RZA), a crime lord who killed his father. Ex-convict Lino (Belle) has taken it upon himself to stop the drug trafficking that Tremaine has been running in and out of Detroit's projects known as Brick Mansions. When Lino's girlfriend is kidnapped it becomes personal for Lino and now Damien and Lino must work together to stop Tremaine and save the city. Soon after Paul Walker did a movie called The Hours came out which I thought was a great movie and the one he should be remembered for. It was something totally different than anything he had done. This is a return to the cookie cutter role he was known for. The best way to describe this is a Fast and Furious with running instead of driving. Paul Walker again plays an undercover cop that infiltrates the "bad guys" to stop something illegal but ends up having more in common with them and siding with them over the police force. If you like the Fast and Furious type movies you will really like this one. As for me this was a little repetitive and felt much longer then the 90 min run time. Overall, fans of Paul Walker and his movies will really enjoy this I had a hard time getting into it and felt like it dragged a lot. I give this a B-.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2014 4:38 PM PDT

They Came Together
They Came Together
DVD ~ Christopher Meloni
Offered by SpReAdLoVe
Price: $9.73
72 used & new from $1.80

4.0 out of 5 stars I laughed the entire way through and really enjoyed it, though it doesn't seem like a movie you could watch over and over., September 1, 2014
This review is from: They Came Together (DVD)
"Your story really is like a cheesy movie." Joel (Rudd), who works at a huge candy corporation looking to take over the New York candy market has just caught his girlfriend cheating on him and is now alone. Molly (Poehler), who owns a quaint little candy store in the city has just become single as well. Mutual friends set them up at a party but things don't go as planned. After meeting at a bookstore the next day and discovering they both like fiction books and coffee they decide to give it one more try. I will start by saying that I laughed the entire way through and really enjoyed it. My wife on the other hand did not like it at all. This movie is an Airplane style spoof of romantic comedies. Every cliche from that genre is in here. The arrogant co-worker who thinks he's better then you. The un-trusting sister and the surprise son who loves the new boyfriend. The break up scene which leads to Molly marrying someone not right for her...etc... They are all in here and all are really funny when they come up. Since this is essentially a spoof movie there really isn't too much to say about it but I will say that I really enjoyed it and laughed a ton. On the other hand though it doesn't seem like a movie you could watch over and over. Overall, a movie that I highly recommend seeing, especially if you have seen a ton of romantic comedies. I give this a B+.

From the Rough
From the Rough
DVD ~ Taraji P. Henson
Price: $9.49
36 used & new from $4.37

4.0 out of 5 stars I really did enjoy this and I recommend it but it is not at the same level as Remember The Titans or movies like that., August 31, 2014
This review is from: From the Rough (DVD)
"We are all, all of us, including me somebody else's table scraps." Tennessee State University is having a problem with their sports programs. In order to save money they decide to drop the baseball team and add two smaller programs. One of the new programs they add is a men's golf team. The biggest problem they have is that no one wants to coach. The AD recruits swim team coach Catana Starks (Henson) since she has experience playing. She is very excited at the opportunity but when she is told she will receive no scholarships, funding or any help at all she decides to make her own rules. I love sports movies and especially the true ones like this. Like many sports movies this one focuses on the personal stories rather then the sport itself. That's what makes them so great. Unlike other sports movies though this one has a huge focus on the coach's life rather then how she helps the team come together. There are a few cheesy parts in this but for the most part the movie is very inspiring. There really isn't a big motivational speech like many sports movies have but what it does have are little lines that have the same power and inspiration as the long speeches usually given. The characters are great and are really likable. I really did enjoy this and I recommend this but it is not at the same level as Remember The Titans or movies like that. Overall, a very good and inspiring true story that I recommend. Even though there are a few cheesy parts it never comes off as being overly cheesy and laughable. I give this a B+.

Into the Storm (Blu-ray + DVD)
Into the Storm (Blu-ray + DVD)
DVD ~ Richard Armitage
Price: $22.99
38 used & new from $14.12

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a disaster movie fan and didn't really like Twister but holy crap this was exciting, fast moving and fun to watch!, August 28, 2014
"I've studied storms all my life. This one is bigger than any storm that has ever been." Pete (Walsh) is a storm chaser and loves what he does. When a new woman (Callies) joins the team she brings with her more computers and data then he has ever seen. He followers her instructions but after months and months of coming up empty he starts to question her. He gives her one last chance to find a big one...and she delivers. I have to start by saying I was not excited to see this but I went because of my wife. She loves these Twister movies. I wasn't a big fan of Twister or really disaster movies in general but holy crap this was exciting. In terms of a movie it's not really that good. The characters are generic and a little cheesy, but that's not why you watch a movie like this. The effects are great and when the tornadoes start the ride begins. For the most part this is just an hour of watching tornadoes wreck havoc on a small town. Even though the characters are a little flat they convey just enough to make you want them to pull through. There really isn't much else to say about this other then if you want to watch a movie that is nothing but excitement and fun then check this out. Overall, for a non-disaster movie fan I thought this was very fun to watch and I'm glad I saw it. Watch for the effects and destruction not for a story. I give this a B+.

Night Moves
Night Moves
DVD ~ Jesse Eisenberg
Offered by SourceMedia
Price: $5.97
63 used & new from $1.55

3.0 out of 5 stars Acting is good but the movie was really lacking something to make an impact on me. Not terrible but slow and methodical., August 28, 2014
This review is from: Night Moves (DVD)
"One person, that's all it takes." Josh (Eisenberg) and Dena (Fanning) are young environmentalists who are sick of watching the planet get destroyed. Along with a man named Harmon they come up with a plan to blow up a hydro-electric dam as a protest to what is happening. There are a few bumps but for the most part things go according to plan. When the papers the next day report something unexpected the three protesters become scared and trust is challenged. I wasn't sure what to expect from this at all but I was hoping for a movie like The East. That movie was very tense and I really enjoyed it, kinda like an Erin Brokovich on steroids. This one was not like that. On the other hand though I think this one is more realistic. This one deals with three people who are not affiliated with any organization who try to make a big statement but it doesn't go has planned. No one is a loud mouth or draws attention to themselves which is good for what they are doing, but not for a movie. This is very slow and has very little dialog. The movie isn't bad but never quite gets as tense and suspenseful as needed. Acting is good but the movie was really lacking something to make an impact on me. Overall, not terrible but slow and methodical. Almost too slow to stay focused on. I give this a B-.

Cold in July [Blu-ray]
Cold in July [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Michael C. Hall
Price: $14.99
31 used & new from $8.97

3.0 out of 5 stars A movie that had the potential to be really good but was really just too slow to be interesting., August 28, 2014
This review is from: Cold in July [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
"I didn't kill your son. The cops have been lying to us all along." Richard Dane (Hall) is a normal everyday man. Late one night he hears a noise in his house. When he comes upon someone who has broken in he gets scared and shoots the intruder. The cops identify him as the son of Russel (Shepard) and he wants revenge. After a little more investigation they both realize the cops lied to them about the identity of the intruder and they set out to find out why and where his son actually is. I'll start by saying that this isn't a bad movie at all, it's just very slow. I could tell the movie tried to be tense and gripping but the pacing of it didn't allow the movie to get where it needed to go. This type of movie has been done before where two people who are enemies at first begin to work together but this one was more about the psychological aspect of what is going on. Acting is very good and even Don Johnson does a good job but the movie, for me, was just way to slow to get fully invested or interested in. Overall, a movie that had the potential to be really good but was really just too slow to be interesting. I give this a B-.

Blended (Blu-ray + DVD)
Blended (Blu-ray + DVD)
DVD ~ Adam Sandler
Price: $11.99
31 used & new from $6.81

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like Adam Sandler comedies you will love this. He knows his strengths & his audience and he sticks with them., August 24, 2014
This review is from: Blended (Blu-ray + DVD) (Blu-ray)
"No more dating for me. It's time and money I should be spending with my kids." Jim (Sandler) and Lauren (Barrymore) are both single parents out on their first blind date. When it doesn't go smooth Jim ends it early and they go their separate ways. After a chance encounter at a store their credit cards get swapped. When Jim returns hers he hears of an African trip that is no longer being taken by his boss and Lauren's friend. Jim and Lauren have the same idea and each take their family on the trip. When they see each other in Africa plans begin to change. I have to admit I was a little worried about this movie going in. I do like Adam Sandler but when his movies are funny they are really funny (Happy Gilmore) and when they are bad they are un-watchable (Jack and Jill). Even from the preview you can pretty much tell exactly that will happen in the movie and without trying to spoil anything...you're right with your prediction. All that said the movie is very funny and me and my family laughed all the way through. Even though this is very close to Just Go With It it is different enough to feel somewhat fresh. There really isn't much else to say about this. If you like Adam Sandler comedies you will love this. If you think he is a little annoying then don't watch it. He knows his strengths and his audience and he sticks with them. This movie is no different. Overall, a very funny movie that I liked and Adam Sandler fans will too. I give this a B+.

Decoding Annie Parker
Decoding Annie Parker
DVD ~ Helen Hunt
Price: $13.96
45 used & new from $4.29

4.0 out of 5 stars I recommend this. A very important movie but not a movie to rent for straight entertainment. Morton is great., August 24, 2014
This review is from: Decoding Annie Parker (DVD)
"If you knew those codes could you change your future?" Annie Parker (Morton) has watched her mother, father and sister all die of cancer. After dealing with all of that she is told that she too has breast cancer. While going through treatment she begins to wonder why she got it. She starts off on a life long research project to find out if breast cancer is hereditary. At the same time Dr. King (Hunt) is trying to figure out the same thing, only she has to deal with not getting the funding she needs. This is a true story of the almost cure for cancer. Obviously the fact that this movie deals with cancer it will be emotional but not in the way you expect. This movie will make you mad, very mad. Knowing how close Dr. King was getting but at the same time being blocked at the funding level because the powers that be didn't think it was important enough. This was in the 70's when she started. Just imagine where we would be today if she got what she needed! This is an important movie that should be seen. I recommend this. Overall, a very important movie but not a movie to rent for straight entertainment. Morton is great. I give it a B+.

Love Punch
Love Punch
DVD ~ Pierce Brosnan
Price: $12.96
63 used & new from $3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Brosnan and Thompson are perfect together and I laughed pretty much all the way through. a must see comedy., August 24, 2014
This review is from: Love Punch (DVD)
"I will find out what's going on it will just take time. I will make sure that everyone of you gets what they're due. I will not, will not let you down." Richard (Brosnan) is finally at the point in life where he is going to retire. He sold his company and has a comfortable pension coming. When he shows up on the last day he is surprised to learn that the company that bought his is under investigation and every asset they had is frozen. When he tells his ex wife Kate (Thompson) they decide to talk to the man that bought the company. When things don't go the way they want they are left with only one choice. I am a big Pierce Brosnan fan and I really like when he plays a take off of James Bond in comedies. He did that in the Matador. This one does have shades of Bond in it as well. Other then that the movie is hilarious. Brosnan and Thompson are perfect together and I laughed pretty much all the way through. I don't want to talk to much about it because to much would ruin it but not only is the dialog witty with some great running jokes but the soundtrack is awesome. Nothing is funnier then watching four 60 year-olds walking in slow motion into a hotel with I Fought The Law playing. This is one I could just go on and on about but all I'll say is watch this...very funny. Overall, a must see comedy. There is British humor but this is also more main stream. I give this an A-.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30