Profile for Tony Heck > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1113

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tony Heck RSS Feed (Belgrade, MT USA)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
The Fifth Estate (Blu-ray / DVD + Digital Copy)
The Fifth Estate (Blu-ray / DVD + Digital Copy)
DVD ~ Benedict Cumberbatch
Price: $19.96
60 used & new from $6.34

3.0 out of 5 stars Better expected but still slow moving. Like Social Network in the way that it's a lot of this happened, then this happened., January 20, 2014
"Only someone so obsessed with his own secrets could come up with a way to reveal everyone else's." Julian Assange (Cumberbatch) is obsessed with truth. He develops a website known as WikiLeakes and along with his partner Daniel (Brühl) they give a voice to the whistle-blowers against government agencies and corporate crimes. What starts off as a little known site soon becomes more and more powerful, and Assange becomes more and more obsessed. Without getting too political going in I had an opinion formed. I do not agree with what he did and because of that I was ready to hate the movie. What I discovered watching this was something I didn't expect. I know the movie is based off two books on one end of the spectrum and doesn't tell the "whole story" but for the most part it tried not to take sides as far as whether the site is a good thing or not. What it focused on was Assange and his insecurities and stubbornness which affected the others who worked with him and eventually led to the life he leads today. Going in I didn't like Assange and after watching this my view of the website changed a little but my view of him remained the same. Again though I realize this is only one side of the story. Overall, better then I expected but still pretty slow moving. This is a lot like Social Network in the way that it's a lot of this happened, then this happened. It doesn't show a flattering side of Assange...if that is even possible. I give it a B

House of Bodies
House of Bodies
DVD ~ Terrence Howard
Price: $12.74
68 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars It never felt boring or slow but it never really grabbed you and sucked you in either. Fluff-horror but entertaining., January 20, 2014
This review is from: House of Bodies (DVD)
"You wanna talk about dead girls?" Henry Lee Bishop (Fonda) is a serial killer on death row for a brutal series of murders. The home where he went on his killing spree has been turned into a web based chat house where users can log on and talk to a woman who will reenact murders for them. When the girls in the house begin to actually be killed off Detective Starks (Howard) notices a similarity between the currant murders and the Bishop killings. He questions Bishop about what is going on. For personal reasons I'd rather not get into I have a strong dislike for Peter Fonda so really any movie with him in it automatically has two strikes against it. That being said he is only in this for about 10-15 minutes so that did help. As far as the movie goes it's nothing amazing. It is a pretty cookie cutter horror movie that is pretty predictable the entire time. There is a little twist to make it more exciting but nothing that is totally out of the blue. Your basic watch girls get naked and die movie. It never felt boring or slow but it never really grabbed you and sucked you in either. The best way to describe this is a fluff-horror movie. All of that said the movie is pretty entertaining and that is really what a movie should be after all. Also don't rent it just because Terrence Howard, Peter Fonda and Queen Latifah are in it, they are in it very little. Overall, an entertaining but generic horror movie. I give it a B.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2014 12:44 PM PST

In a World [Blu-ray]
In a World [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Lake Bell
Price: $19.99
11 used & new from $13.12

4.0 out of 5 stars This could be the beginning of a huge career for Lake Bell. Really has a lot of heart & something that is worth seeing. I liked, January 20, 2014
This review is from: In a World [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
"Let's be honest, the industry is not craving a female voice." Carol (Bell) is a voice coach working in Hollywood trying to get her big break in movie trailer voice-overs. When she sits on for a demo trailer her life changes. She begins to get offers for more trailers as well as commercials. She is suddenly in the running for the coveted "In a world..." trailer comeback. The only problem is her famous father and his protégé (Marino) want the same thing. This is another little seen gem of a movie. While the movie basically seems like a movie only people in Hollywood would care about it is so much more. The movie has a lot of heart and humor and is very much worth seeing. Lake Bell wrote, directed and starred in this. This could be the beginning of a huge career for her. The father character is so selfish and un-likable that it makes it hard to like him which really makes you root that much harder for Carol. This is really just a little fluff type movie that has a lot of heart and something that is worth seeing. I liked it. I give it a B.

Sunlight Jr.
Sunlight Jr.
DVD ~ Naomi Watts
Price: $17.98
40 used & new from $1.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth seeing but very depressing & you feel like you have been emotionally beaten at the end of it, like after watching Precious, January 17, 2014
This review is from: Sunlight Jr. (DVD)
"We got a plan and we're taking care of our business, but it's been stressful." Melissa (Watts) is a convenience store clerk who lives in a motel with her paraplegic boyfriend Richie (Dillon). She hates her job and Richie is struggling with his troubles trying to take care of her. When Melissa finds out she is pregnant what starts out as extreme happiness begins to change. The troubles at her job and the motel begin to wear on them. This is a perfect example of a movie that is just OK but when you add great actors to them it makes it much better then it could have been. This is just another "how much worse can things get" type movie but because of Watts and Dillon you truly care about the characters and root for them against all odds. You feel for the struggles they go through and as the movie goes on you feel as beaten down as they do. This is not a happy movie at all but it does feel very real and that is the sign of a good movie, it makes you feel things emotionally. Overall, a movie that is worth seeing but very depressing and you feel like you have been emotionally beaten at the end of it, much like you feel after watching Precious. I give this a B.

Machete Kills (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD with UltraViolet)
Machete Kills (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD with UltraViolet)
DVD ~ Danny Trejo
Price: $14.98
16 used & new from $3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Like the first one this was just too cheesy & really too much of everything for me to enjoy. If you liked first one try this., January 17, 2014
"This world must end in order for a more perfect one to emerge and like it or not, Mr. Machete, your coming with me." When the US government finds out a Mexican arms dealer is planning to launch a weapon into space that has the ability to destroy the world there is only one hope left for humanity...Machete (Trejo). There really isn't much to say about this movie to make you watch or not watch. If you liked the first one you will like this one. The original was pretty polarizing...either you liked it or you didn't. There wasn't much of an in between group of thought. I didn't like the first one at all. I thought it was too over the top, cheesy and almost un-watchable for me. Going in to this one I was not excited at all. I think Danny Trejo is OK but my big problem with these movies is Robert Rodriguez. It seems to me that his goal in movie making is to get as many people he can to appear and make a movie in 2 weeks, then spend months doing CGI on it to make it appear better. He forgot that the most important thing in movies is the actors and script. No amount of effects can make up for that. This is an example of that. Like the first one this was just too cheesy and really too much of everything for me to enjoy. Overall if you like the first one you will like this one too. I didn't and didn't. I give this a C-.

Freezer [Blu-ray]
Freezer [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Dylan McDermott
Price: $16.16
13 used & new from $11.33

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing amazing but not horrible either. A less horrific Saw type movie. The twist is both unexpected & predictable., January 17, 2014
This review is from: Freezer [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
"This is the rat. I'd bet my life on it." Robert (McDermott) wakes up in a freezer with his wrists and ankles cuffed together and no idea why. When a gang of Russians come in they tell him he owes them 8 million dollars and won't let him go until they are repaid. When he realizes he isn't alone he is forced to make life and death decisions with every move he makes. This is a movie that although the idea has been done over and over still had potential. What it turned out to be was basically a version of the original Saw (without the gruesome chopping people up aspect). Man wakes up alone with no idea how he got there and must figure out who put him there and why. He sees someone else with him and must decide what to do next. The main difference is that this one has people coming in and out and more things happen but that is still the best way to describe it. The twist is both unexpected and predictable, when you watch it you will see what I mean. Overall, nothing amazing but not horrible either. A less horrific Saw type movie. I give it a C+.

Battle of the Damned [Blu-ray]
Battle of the Damned [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Dolph Lundgren
Price: $14.66
23 used & new from $8.67

2.0 out of 5 stars The robots look like a rip off of the Lost In Space robot. The zombie effects are barely passable. But I have seen worse., January 17, 2014
"Zombies, killer robots, nice town you got here." After a viral outbreak causes people to turn into zombies, military soldier Max Gatling (Lundgren) is called into battle. Not only must he fight off the zombie army with a few human survivors, but a group of robots that have been trained to kill as well. Even though it sounds made up I swear that is the plot of the movie. I know what your initial thought is but I have actually seen worse. The thing that helped the movie is that it didn't take itself too serious. If they tried to be straight line and make it seem like a real war movie it would have been un-watchable. The fact that they added comedy and made it a little over the top made it seem better then it actually was. I'm not saying this is a good movie at all because this wouldn't be in my top ten choices to watch ever but in terms of Dolph Lundgren movies there have been much worse. Overall, the robots look like a rip off of the Lost In Space robot and the zombie effects are barely passable. A severely low budget World War Z knock off but again I have seen worse. I give it a C.

Best Man Down [Blu-ray]
Best Man Down [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Justin Long
Price: $17.42
32 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't say enough about this movie. I want everyone I know to watch it. A near perfect movie that I can't recommend enough., January 14, 2014
This review is from: Best Man Down [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
"It was fun, it was always fun with Lumpy. He was the first real friend I ever had." Lumpy (Labine) is Scott's (Long) best friend and best man at his wedding. When he gets a little out of control Scott tells him to go sleep it off so he doesn't ruin the wedding. The next day everyone is shocked at Lumpy's death and now Scott and his new wife are arranging his funeral instead of honeymooning. When they begin to tell Lumpy's friends about what happened they discover a man they never knew. This is one of the biggest surprises I have ever found in terms of movies. I expected this to be funny for two reasons...Justin Long and Tyler Labine. Those guys are so funny without trying to be that I was looking forward to laughing many times even with the subject matter. What I found out was that not only was I wrong about laughing the entire time but I cried at the end. Labine was a great choice because he is so likable and even though he is only in the movie off and on his presence is felt and that impacts everything. I can not say enough about this movie and I want everyone I know to watch it. It does have moments where I did laugh, it's not morbid even though the plot revolves around death, and the most important thing this movie has is heart without coming off as unbelievably cheesy. This is a near perfect movie and I can't recommend this enough. I loved it. I give this an A+.

Blue Jasmine (Blu-ray + Digital HD with UltraViolet)
Blue Jasmine (Blu-ray + Digital HD with UltraViolet)
DVD ~ Cate Blanchett
Price: $19.91
17 used & new from $12.97

4.0 out of 5 stars A little depressing & you feel for the Jasmine character, but you don't feel bad for her. That is the genius of the movie., January 14, 2014
"I'm living like this because you married the biggest loser of all." Jasmine French (Blanchett) is living the life she loves. An elite housewife in New York spending her time hosting dinner parties and only wants the most expensive things money can buy. She treats her family like second class citizens and isn't well liked by them in return. After Jasmine's husband (Baldwin) causes them to lose everything Jasmine is forced to move in with her sister in San Francisco and change her entire life. I have never been a big Woody Allen fan but lately I have found myself liking his movies more and more. This one, while you could still tell it was his writing and directing, didn't have the feel of most of his movies. What I really did enjoy about this was the point it showed about how people with an "I'm better then you" attitude have a hard time in the real world and don't really fit in. I don't know if it's the writing or the acting but the Jasmine character was so unlikable that whenever bad things happened to her I didn't feel bad at all. In terms of who she was that isn't a bad thing for the movie. The movie is a little depressing and you feel for the Jasmine character, but you don't feel bad for her. That is the genius of the movie. Overall, even if you aren't a Woody Allen fan I would check this out. I give it a B.

Riddick (Unrated Director's Cut Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD UltraViolet)
Riddick (Unrated Director's Cut Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD UltraViolet)
DVD ~ Vin Diesel
Price: $19.96
17 used & new from $4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars If you are a fan of this series you will really enjoy this.To me it was nothing but a remake of Pitch Black with a bigger budget, January 11, 2014
"There are bad days and there are legendary bad days. This is shaping up to be one of those." After being betrayed by the Necromongers, Riddick (Diesel) is left for dead. Alone on a remote desolate planet he is forced to regain his instincts and survive the harsh landscape. When he notices a deadly storm approaching he has no choice but to activate a beacon that draws bounty hunters to him. Now he has to find a way to escape while battling bounty hunters, an alien species and a oncoming deadly storm. First thing I should say is that I'm not a huge fan of this series. I thought Pitch Black was OK but didn't like Chronicles of Riddick. So my expectations for this were pretty low going in. Even with low expectations I wasn't impressed by this movie. The beginning was very slow movie and Vin Diesel doesn't have the chops to carry a movie where he is the only one it it for longer then 5 minutes so the first 20 was a struggle. Then it turned to the bounty hunters and Vin Diesel pretty much disappeared for awhile. When he returned the movie fell into a straight remake of Pitch Black. A group of mercenaries who want nothing more then to kill Riddick for a reward but realize they need his help with the aliens and storm. Dialog is awful and the movie could have been a half hour long and lost nothing. On the other hand, if you are a fan of this series you will really enjoy this more then I did. Overall, nothing but a remake of Pitch Black with a bigger budget, I give this a C+.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30