Profile for Tony Heck > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1080

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tony Heck RSS Feed (Belgrade, MT USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Very Good Girls
Very Good Girls
DVD ~ Dakota Fanning
Price: $22.98

4.0 out of 5 stars A movie that who's plot has been done to death but the acting makes it feel fresh. Fanning & Olsen are great together., August 17, 2014
This review is from: Very Good Girls (DVD)
"I just wanted to make you feel better. You liked him so much." Lilly (Fanning) and Gerri (Olsen) have been best friends for years and have just graduated high school. Both are on their way to college and neither want to go there as virgins. They decide to make a pact with each other that they will both lose it before they leave. Things are going along fine until they meet and start to like the same boy. This is a plot that has been done to death. Usually though the movie is a comedy and this is a drama. The one thing this does have going for it that the others don't is great actors. The acting alone is enough to keep this from becoming too cheesy or cookie-cutter like. The movie is very predictable and again is something you have seen a hundred times but Fanning and Olsen together are a great team. There are moments that make you cry and make you angry but overall this is a movie that will give you a good feeling. Overall a movie that who's plot has been done to death but the acting makes it feel fresh. A very good coming of age movie that teen girls should watch to show what is really important in life. I give this a high B+.

Louder than Words
Louder than Words
DVD ~ David Duchovny
Price: $20.99

3.0 out of 5 stars This isn't bad at all & worth watching. A little slow in some parts & lacks some sort of emotion to keep you fully vested, August 17, 2014
This review is from: Louder than Words (DVD)
"They may have lost their glue but they never fell apart." John (Duchovny) and Brenda (Davis) Fareri are the parents in a loving family. They have four kids and careers that make them happy. When their youngest daughter is taken to the hospital the doctor says there is nothing to worry about so the parents hang out waiting to hear what is wrong. When things take a terrible turn and their daughter dies the family is thrown into chaos. John comes up with an idea to build a better children's hospital with better facilities and care then they received. This initially causes more family tension. I will start by saying that this movie isn't as sad and depressing as it sounds. I went in thinking this was going to be like Patch Adams. This is actually more like Extraordinary Measures. While the reason for the father wanting to help is awful this focuses more on what they do to help rather then dwell on the death. The movie isn't bad at all and is worth watching it is also a little slow in some parts and does lack some sort of emotion to keep you fully vested. Overall I movie I do recommend because I love true stories but you need to be in the mood for it. I give this a B.

A Long Way Down
A Long Way Down
DVD ~ Pierce Brosnan
Price: $15.98

3.0 out of 5 stars The cast is perfect and the movie never comes off as feeling forced or sappy which is hard in a movie like this., August 17, 2014
This review is from: A Long Way Down (DVD)
"The undersigned agree not to kill themselves before Valentine's Day." Martin (Brosnan) is standing on the top of a building getting ready to jump. Right before he does Maureen (Collette) shows up. She also wants to jump but not with an audience. When the two start to decide how they will do this Jess (Poots) and JJ (Paul) show up wanting to jump as well. Things begin to change and they all end up back in a car telling each other why they want to jump. The new "family" makes a pact not to do anything before the next major holiday. They decide to hang out together and little by little their feelings begin to change. First of all I have to tell you that this is a very dark comedy since it does deal with suicide. That said the movie is funny and does have a lot of heart. This is a little predictable but that doesn't take away from the enjoyment at all. The cast is perfect and the movie never comes off as feeling forced or sappy which is hard in a movie like this. Overall, a movie that deals with a heavy subject in a comedic way without becoming too sappy or "after school special" like. I did like it. I give this a B.

Jarhead 2: Field of Fire - Unrated Edition (Blu-ray + DVD + DIGITAL HD with UltraViolet)
DVD ~ Cole Hauser
Price: $17.78
8 used & new from $17.78

4.0 out of 5 stars I was really shocked at how good this one was & I really enjoyed it. On the other hand though this isn't like the original at al, August 17, 2014
"Keep the faith - Semper Fi." Chris Merrimete (Kelly) has just been promoted. Even though he isn't sure how much longer he will stay enlisted he picks his unit and they head out on a mission to resupply an outpost through Taliban controlled territory. Along the way they come upon what is left of a SEAL team and an Afghan woman whom they were extracting. When things go from bad to worse the mission becomes protecting this woman for reasons unknown to the marines. Like many of you when I saw Jarhead 2 my first thought was, oh no, not another direct to video sequel. There have been a ton of these and none have been good. Behind Enemy Lines is on their 4th one, Death Race has 3, Joy Ride has 3...the list goes on and on. Sitting down to watch this I had very low expectations. I don't often get surprised by movies but this one did. I was really shocked at how good this one was and I really enjoyed it. On the other hand though this is nothing like the original at all. The original dealt with the mental aspect of going through training and heading to a place they don't want to be and having nothing to do. This one is more of a straight action/war movie, and this was actually one of the better war movies that have come out recently. Overall, a movie that was much better then I was expecting and I ended up really liking it. I surprisingly give this a B+.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (3D/Blu-Ray/DVD/UltraViolet Combo Pack)
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (3D/Blu-Ray/DVD/UltraViolet Combo Pack)
DVD ~ Andrew Garfield
Price: $24.96
9 used & new from $24.96

2.0 out of 5 stars To me Spider-man has always been a little too angsty and cheesy for me. This movie did nothing to change my view., August 17, 2014
"You're wrong about us being on different paths, we're not on different paths. You're my path and you're always gonna be my path." Peter (Garfield) is realizing that keeping his promise of staying away from Gwen (Stone) harder then he expected. Saving the city is still easy for him though. After Norman, the head of Oscorp dies and his son Harry is forced out villain after villain is created and Spider-man faces threats both physically and emotionally. I have to begin be saying that I have never been a big Spider-man fan. When it comes to comic book movies I like the darker ones like Batman and the newest X-Men series. To me Spider-man has always been a little too angsty and cheesy for me. This movie did nothing to change my view. This movie dealt more with the relationship between Gwen and Peter then Spider-man vs. bad guys. For some people that may be OK but I am also not a fan of teenage love- dramas. Jamie Foxx was good in this as usual but he also seemed wasted, like they just wanted a big name actor for a bad guy and he was put into a role beneath his talent. My biggest complaint was the main reason I wanted to see this was for Paul Giamatti. He is one of the best and most underrated actors around today. Not to spoil anything but he is in the movie for about 3 minutes total. Car chase in the beginning and a scene at the end that served no other purpose then to set up a third movie. All that said though I again am not a Spider-man fan. If you like him you will like this movie, if you don't then like me you probably won't. Overall, a cheesy comic book movie that was basically Gwen and Peter break up, Spider-man scene, they get back together, Spider-man scene, they break up, Spider-man scene...over and over. To me this was just long and hard to care about. I do think that fans will love this though. I give this a C+.

Chef (Blu-ray + DVD + DIGITAL HD with UltraViolet)
Chef (Blu-ray + DVD + DIGITAL HD with UltraViolet)
DVD ~ Jon Favreau
Price: $22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A movie that I really enjoyed and highly recommend. Just a feel good movie that isn't cheesy. There needs to be more of these., August 17, 2014
"That review went viral." Carl Casper (Favreau) is the best chef in the city working at the best restaurant. On the night that a respected food critic is coming Carl decides to change the menu and do something different to show off his skills. The owner of the restaurant doesn't like that idea and Carl is forced to abandon his ideas. When the critic gives him a bad review it hits the internet. Carl decides to respond and a war of words culminates in a confrontation that ends up with Carl out of a job. When a trip to Miami provides a new opportunity Carl and his son discover something more important then food. I have been a Favreau fan since Swingers. That was really the last movie he was in where he was the main star (even though in that and Made Vince Vaughn really stole the movies). After seeing this I wouldn't be surprised if he got more starring roles. He is perfect for this movie. He really just plays Mike, grown up, with a little more confidence. That is not a bad thing at all. The movie is full of comedy, heart and is so entertaining and enjoyable to watch that the movie moves along almost too fast and you wish there was more. This is a movie I could go an and on about but I will just say watch this. I really enjoyed it. Overall, a movie that I really enjoyed and highly recommend. Just a feel good movie that isn't cheesy. There needs to be more of these. I give it an A.

Armed Response
Armed Response
Price: $22.93

4.0 out of 5 stars A good movie that kept me entertained and laughing all the way through...even when it went super dark., August 16, 2014
This review is from: Armed Response (DVD)
"We're talking about robbing these people blind. I'm on bored with that." Kevin (Embry) and Bruce (Gladis) are best friends and business partners. They own and run a small home security service in a town that is the safest place in America. Facing the possibility of having to close their store they come up with one last ditch effort to save the business. They want to make people feel like they need the security system, so they begin to break into everyone's houses and then sell them the systems. Things are going great until they rob the wrong house. First off this is just simply a fun and entertaining movie. Nothing deep or thought provoking but also nothing mindless either. The idea is funny and the cast is great and really pulls off the necessary timing needed for a movie that goes as dark as this does. The best part of this movie is Cary Elwes. He started off huge in the Princess Bride and Robin Hood but since then hasn't been getting much mainstream work. His turn as a drug lord/mob boss in this is one of the best casting choices in recent years. This is nothing that amazing but it is very much worth seeing, especially for Elwes. Overall, a good movie that kept me entertained and laughing all the way through...even when it went super dark. I give it a B.

Fading Gigolo
Fading Gigolo
DVD ~ John Turturro
Price: $14.99
23 used & new from $10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Woody Allen fans will love this since it does have a very Woody feel to it. I did really enjoy it more then I was expecting to, August 7, 2014
This review is from: Fading Gigolo (DVD)
"If a man can't get a woman out of his guts, his heart, it means something." Fioravante (Turturro) is best friends with Murray (Allen). Murray tells him he is not doing well financially but has a plan to make more money they they thought possible. What starts off as a way to make some fast cash for the both of them becomes dangerous physically, mentally and emotionally for everyone involved. I have never been a big Woody Allen fan but I have found myself liking the last few of his movies. While this isn't a Woody Allen movie per-se it has the definite feel of one and he is actually very funny in this and I did enjoy it. John Turturro wrote and directed this but gave the best parts to everyone else. Allen steals the movie but Liev Schreiber does a pretty good job as well. On its face the idea of the movie is about being a Gigolo but really that is not what the movie is about. This is about so much more then that and the main aspects of the movie are love and finding yourself. Overall, Woody Allen fans will love this since it does have a very Woody feel to it. I did really enjoy it more then I was expecting to. I give this a high B.

The Signal
The Signal
DVD ~ Brenton Thwaites
Price: $19.98

3.0 out of 5 stars The twist at the end is worth watching it for but don't expect anything super exciting until then. Reminded me of District 9., August 7, 2014
This review is from: The Signal (DVD)
"Due to circumstances surrounding your condition I'm afraid our information is extremely limited." Nic (Thwaites) and his friends are going on a road trip through the desert on the way to drop off his girlfriend. While on the road they find out they are being hacked and the signal is just off the road they are on. After debate they decide to check it out, but things aren't always as they seem. This is yet another movie where the idea is much cooler then the actual film. I'm not saying this is a bad movie but much like Transcendence I felt like they could have done a lot more with the idea. This starts out as a typical group of friends alone of the road movie but when they are taken to the area where the signal came from it starts to take on it's own identity. There are so many neat ideas that they come up with but nothing is ever as cool as they make it sound. When you watch you will see what I mean. In terms of sci-fi this isn't bad but the smaller budget seemed to hurt it a little because it ended up being a little too repetitive. The twist at the end is worth watching it for but don't expect anything super exciting until then. Overall, if you liked movies like District 9 or Under The Skin this this is something you would enjoy. I give it a B-.

Palo Alto
Palo Alto
DVD ~ James Franco
Price: $15.98

4.0 out of 5 stars If you liked Perks Of Being A Wallflower then watch this, you will love it., August 7, 2014
This review is from: Palo Alto (DVD)
"I'm not Bob!" April (Roberts) is a shy student struggling through high school. Her love life consists of being torn between her crush Teddy and her soccer coach (Franco). Her friend Emily isn't shy about sex and begins a relationship with Teddy's friend Fred who is a real loose cannon. Together the 5 of them try to make it through the year alive. This is a hard movie to talk about with out either going into too much minute detail or giving away parts of the movie. The best way to talk about this is by saying that this is another coming-of-age movie. I once again have to repeat my statement that Emma Roberts will eventually win an Oscar, my guess is sooner rather then later. After movies like this and Adult World it's only a matter of time. Speaking of that movie if you liked Adult World you will like this one as well. It has the same type of feel with a little but of Perks Of Being A Wallflower thrown in. Again there isn't really a whole lot I can say about the actual movie without being boring or giving away too much but I can say that I really enjoyed this and I recommend this. Overall, if you liked Perks Of Being A Wallflower then watch this, you will love it. I give this a B+.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20