Profile for justinglen > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

justinglen RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Pura d'or Hair Loss Prevention Premium Organic Shampoo, Brown and Blue, 16 Fluid Ounce
Price: $24.99
23 used & new from $18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't use Rogaine? This is the next-best thing., October 9, 2014
My partner can't use Rogaine (due to side effects), but swears this is the next best thing. He's noticed less hair in the bathtub drain and generally healthier looking hair since we started using it over a year ago. I myself use it in addition to Rogaine and agree, this is the only shampoo we'll buy from here on out. I appreciate that it has ingredients I understand, leaves my hair looking great, and has a pleasant, natural smell. The conditioner from this company is also top-notch.

WearEver C94433 Pure Living Nonstick Ceramic Coating Jumbo Cooker, 3.5-Quart, Gold
Price: $26.99
7 used & new from $25.00

3.0 out of 5 stars 1-Year Pan, October 21, 2013
I've had this pan for just over 2 months now and while I'm not terribly upset with its durability and performance, this is probably a pan I won't bother to buy again, and with the way its held up so far, I'm sure I'll be shopping for a new pan within 1 year.

In the short time I've used it, the coating has chipped away in small areas where I was admittedly a little harsh on it (I'll let that slide as my own fault), but what I'm really getting worried about is the build-up and staining on the pan's non-stick surface. I've tried doggedly to clean this pan, but stains left from frying just aren't going anywhere. As these build up, the non-stick surface has naturally started to lose some of its non-stickiness.

My final complaint is that the base is not thick enough and so does not distribute heat evenly when used on a gas range. There are very noticeable hot spots on this pan, which are easy enough to overcome, but you do have to be careful.

Pluses: It works fabulously for the first few weeks; the non-stick surface really is a marvel in the beginning. I was also pleasantly surprised that the included lid readily fit some of my much older stainless steel WearEver cookware.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2014 11:12 PM PDT

Avenir R-Mor Plate Locks
Avenir R-Mor Plate Locks

5.0 out of 5 stars Thieves are going to move on to the next bike when they see this thing, September 6, 2013
This review is from: Avenir R-Mor Plate Locks
In the week I've owned this lock, two random strangers have said the following to me:

"That dude has the best bike lock in Chicago!"

"You and I both know that lock cost more than your bike!"

It may just be the best bike lock in Chicago, but no, it actually cost me less than twenty bucks! While this lock might not stand up to a hefty bolt cutter, I've yet to see a sub-$100 lock that would. My satisfaction with this particular lock is primarily centered around the fact that it looks intimidating. When a well-equipped thief is snapping bikes off the rack, they might just pass yours up if it's chained to the rails with this bad boy... and really, that's the best work that any bike lock can really do.

Other advantages: unlike a u-lock, this flexible lock is so super easy to attach. Its flexibility gives you tons more options when locking up in awkward places vs. the frustration of finding a place to use a rigid u-lock. The plastic coating is also much appreciated, as it prevents nicks and scuffs on the bike.

My only gripe would be that there's a little red cover for the keyhole, presumably to protect from the elements. It's slightly annoying, so I mostly leave it open, which negates what is probably its only purpose. It also doesn't come with any sort of mounting hardware, but I find it easy enough to just drape over my seat or handlebars while riding.

Overall: A solid, flexible lock that looks much more intimidating than it probably is -- and for the reasonable price, that's a very good thing.

Brother HL-2270DW Compact Laser Printer with Wireless Networking and Duplex
Brother HL-2270DW Compact Laser Printer with Wireless Networking and Duplex
Offered by Monkey's Mark Down Electronics
Price: $149.99
172 used & new from $77.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I could have hoped for in a sub-$100 printer, August 2, 2013
Initially I had posted a negative review because the printer was consistently only printing the first quarter of the page. Turns out that my ISP's router was at fault there. Now that I have a better router, this printer works like a gem. And what a deal: built-in wireless & duplex printing for under a hundred bucks? Sold.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't come with the right screwdriver, July 11, 2013
Kit arrived with two torx screwdrivers and one standard, but no mini phillips. Since the rear case of my iphone is secured with mini philips screws, i'll have to wait to get my hands on one of those screwdrivers before trying this kit. also came without any instructions whatsoever, but those are easily found on ifixit.

Slate Daily Paid No-Ads Edition
Slate Daily Paid No-Ads Edition
Price: $2.49
2 used & new from $2.49

1.0 out of 5 stars poor formatting, useless links, April 11, 2013
see that nice layout in the thumbnail for this item on amazon's kindle store? your downloaded subscription will look nothing at all like that. instead (on the kindle touch at least) what you get looks much more like something that might come out of your printer when you try to print a webpage that was never meant to appear on paper. the navigation among articles is awkward, the text of the articles confusingly disjointed, and the links to other interesting articles at the end of an article that you do manage to read? useless without a wifi signal (and my kindle has 3G).

all in all, a very disappointing reading experience for such otherwise great content.

JacobsParts Flexible Neck LED Reading Book Light, White
JacobsParts Flexible Neck LED Reading Book Light, White

1.0 out of 5 stars Like clown shoes for your sleek little e-reader, March 1, 2013
This thing is comically oversized for its purpose. Granted I have a pretty small e-reader, but even if I had say a last-generation kindle or something, the humongous clip on this thing would more than likely still take up more space than is provided on most e-readers' bezels. It takes 3 AAA batteries, which add so much heft that if you don't clamp it on in such a way that it overlaps your screen, it's going to twist and rotate under its own weight. The light is very bright (it d***** well better be if I have to fill it with that many batteries) but the filter on the LED isn't so great -- the light really glares on even non-glare screens.

It is just very poorly designed, which I should have expected for the price.
Comment Comment | Permalink

200 Slow Cooker Creations
200 Slow Cooker Creations
by Stephanie Ashcraft
Price: $9.18
54 used & new from $0.24

1.0 out of 5 stars So disappointed, February 17, 2013
I get that most things which come out of a slow cooker are going to look fairly un photogenic, but to not put a single picture in a cookbook (aside from the cover photo, which isn't even identified or linked to a recipe within the book) seems lazy and certainly doesn't have me jumping out the door to collect ingredients for any of these recipes. And that brings me to the other thing that really upset me about this book: the ingredients for most of these recipes are things I didn't know anyone actually bought anymore. Canned mushrooms? Hydrogentated onion soup mix? MSG-filled condensed soup? Coke? In a culinary world that has been embracing slow food, local market fresh vegetables and non-processed foods for years now, this book feels like a dictionary of reasons for why most peoples' slow cookers are collecting dust in the depths of their pantry rather than the inspiring call for a slow cooker renaissance that I was sincerely hoping it would be.

Westek TE04WHB Digital Timer, White
Westek TE04WHB Digital Timer, White
Price: $10.24
19 used & new from $5.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, October 12, 2012
Like other reviewers of this item, I too was convinced that this timer was dead on arrival when I plugged it in and nothing showed up on the LCD. Thankfully reviewer BigAbba's tip of pressing the reset switch did the trick. Once the unit was reset, programming the device was super easy and I'm happy to report that my lamp it turning itself on and off on schedule! (I'm using the timer to power a lamp in my bedroom, effectively creating a super economical version of all of those simulated sunrise alarm clock / wake-up lights.)

One other thing I noticed that might come as helpful information to others: It seems that you could actually use the scheduling in this timer more flexibly than the description makes out. There are 7 schedules that you can set, which conveniently correspond to the 7 days of the week, but the timer's program is set up so that you could just as easily have all 7 programs run on a single day of the week.

In any case, being half the price of the next best option, and with the advice that you will need to reset the unit immediately upon receipt, this timer is a fantastic purchase!

Bionaire BAP1700-U PERMAtech Tower Air Purifier with Timer and Air-Quality Sensor

2.0 out of 5 stars makes a better white noise generator than an air filter, January 22, 2012
This unit just doesn't move air around enough to do its job effectively. Partly I think this is because of its tower design (which doesn't do much for vertical air circulation) and partly I think its fan is under-powered, as you can really hardly feel any air movement when you put your hand right next to it. Granted: I do have to vacuum off the pre-filter every 3 months or so (because of dust accumulation) but honestly the air and surfaces in my home are just as dusty now as they've ever been.

I'll probably go back to one of the round-shaped Honeywell units that shoots air upward from the top of the unit. I've had much better results from that style of air purifier in the past.

Page: 1 | 2