Profile for C. Carlson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 22

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C. Carlson "seeker" RSS Feed (Ann Arbor, MI)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Walking Home: A Pilgrimage from Humbled to Healed
Walking Home: A Pilgrimage from Humbled to Healed
Price: $9.43

5.0 out of 5 stars A Spiritual Teacher on a Spiritual Path examining her Spiritual/Life Path = Pretty Amazing, October 7, 2014
I found this book Brave, Candid and Refreshing.

I am a big fan of Sonia's work and have attended her workshops. Like many spiritual authors and teachers of our time, it's easy to look up to her and think she's a modern soothsayer that has it all figured out and is immune to the issues of her readers and clients. As she reveals in her book, this is not the case at all.

She is guided to walk The Camino following a triple doozy of life events: death of her brother, followed by the death her father and her own impending divorce. Realizing she must face the music she gets very personal and pulls everything hidden in the basement of her psyche out into the light to be dissected as she places her perpetually sore feet on the Spanish trail.

She takes to the Camino armed with 75 Power Bars, a small backpack she wears each day and a much larger one she hilariously names "Cheater" since she pays a shuttle service to transport it for her each day. Sonia is gifted with the archetype of Storyteller. The juicy parts of her books are always the stories and this makes Walking Home quite a captivating read since it's a long story containing many little stories or reflections within it. The book is written in a diary style logging both the daily mundane (but important to a pilgrim) events: breakfast, sleep and weather, along with the daily troubling thoughts, emotional ups and downs, provocative insights and moments of clarity.

We've all been there in one way or another and that's why its so good. Sonia is funny and you feel the annoyance of having nothing but crappy toast and bad coffee for breakfast when you are walking miles a day, and you cheer with her when she finds an amazing spread or great company. More importantly you may also resonate with the struggle of acknowledging your so-called negative feelings towards loved ones marred with the shame that doing so brings. Unlike many of us who tuck away those feelings in a judgie file labeled "Not Spiritual Behavior," she actually GOES there. In order to get away from the darkness she has to walk through it and face her shadow. Calmly? No! While kicking, screaming and cursing. The physicality of walking so much along with the burdens she carries inside, including strong past-life memories of the Knights Templar, wear her down and it is this pairing aligned with the mystical energy of The Camino that give way to understanding, acceptance and forgiveness.

Unlike every other book of hers, there is not a psychic prediction or reading to be had in these pages. Ironically it may be one that teaches the most and possibly my favorite! I know it will get re-read many times.

For anyone that doesn't know Sonia or her work- if you liked "Wild" and "Eat, Pray, Love," You'll LOVE Walking Home.

Birthing a New Civilization: Transition to the New Golden Age in 2032
Birthing a New Civilization: Transition to the New Golden Age in 2032
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A thorough and realistic preview of coming attractions, February 27, 2014
I am a big fan of Diana Cooper and have several of her books. I feel this book is a great follow-up to her books on 2012 and The Golden Age. As I understand it Diana writes her books in cooperation with the angels, guides and her main guide Kumeka.

This book is a forecast of what is to happen in the world in the next 18 years, based on the energy as it is at the time of her writing the book, but that could always change as we do. It is not airy-fairy but very realistic of the difficulties we are to face and have already begun to experience. In the larger part of the book she discusses the large changes that will happen on the earth and within each country both political and weather related.

Then in the remaining chapters she talks about what will happen after these changes when the Golden Age is officially here and what life will be like. She says the internet will still be here but it will be far beyond what it is today. TVs will be like a phonograph is to us today and vehicles will be vastly different, and made out of different material.

According to her we can expect to see major changes beginning in 2017. In all the chapters she includes prayers and ways to increase the vibrations and help assist with the changes headed our way and even make them less intense.

I don't know another book out there like this that is so easy to read and informative.

See No Sea (No Sea Trilogy) (Volume 1)
See No Sea (No Sea Trilogy) (Volume 1)
by Roslyn McFarland
Price: $11.91
18 used & new from $8.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing Romantic Tail appeals to all ages, October 23, 2013
I'm an adult that loves YA fiction. The more in the Fantasy realm, the better. I'm also a lover of the water and mermaid tales, so Roslyn McFarland's debut YA novel hit home on many counts for me. She knows her subject well! I grew up swimming on swim teams and was quickly drawn into this book, finishing it in just a couple days.

Against the backdrop of the Pacific Northwest, See No Sea (The meaning behind this title is revealed about half-way through) is a unique and original aquatic story starring Lee (short for Doralis): a young teen who happens to be a fantastic non-competitive, competitive swimmer. Through a twist of fate über-shy Lee inadvertently puts herself into the limelight igniting a series of events that both challenge her and take her on a fantastic journey she could've only dreamed of!

I think young and older girls alike can relate to the painful loneliness that comes with being Lee's age as well as being the new kid, finding your tribe, and dealing with the token Mean Girl(s). Like many sensitive teens, Lee is highly self-aware of her every move, and a bit hyper-aware of others as well -- which actually comes in handy on the swim team. Yes, there are cute boys involved and as you can see from the cover there's definitely something fishy going on with someone underwater!

I'm happy that the story resolved most things at the end while leaving the door wide open for the next two books which I am really looking forward to.

Tweens, Teens and Adults like me would love this. Fans of Twilight and the darker YA fantasy books will definitely want to check out this lighter, intriguing water tale. While she IS an only child, Lee is no Bella Swan.

Note to parents: I give this a PG rating: No foul language to speak of, tame romance and normal teen drama.

Richard Scarry's Busytown Mini Plush - Lowly the Worm
Richard Scarry's Busytown Mini Plush - Lowly the Worm
Offered by Amazing Plush
Price: $10.99
15 used & new from $3.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect in every way but not worth $25., October 21, 2012
I bought this for my daughter's 2nd birthday. She loves the Richard Scarry books, and Lowly Worm in particular so I knew she would love a stuffed version. It is the exact incarnation of Lowly and was a big hit. I was a little disappointed that it was so small though.

The toy came exactly as appeared and I am pleased with it in every way except the price. $25 is really too much to pay for something roughly the size of a Beanie Baby. That being said, I really did want it for her and it seemed hard to find otherwise so I paid the high price. Is the price so high because its a rare novelty item?

***Update***10/8/14
As the Comment below mentions- this item has been found for as low as $7, it appears to depend on the time of year.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2013 7:23 AM PDT

Becoming Your Best Self: The Guide to Clarity, Inspiration and Joy
Becoming Your Best Self: The Guide to Clarity, Inspiration and Joy
by Sara Wiseman
Price: $13.08
55 used & new from $1.93

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is *Alive!*~*A Magical Course on Intuition and Guidance.*, June 26, 2012
As a fan of Sara Wiseman, I was so excited to get my book in the mail today. I took the package and sat outside to open it.

I turned to the first few pages and was reading the Dedication and Acknowledgements when I noticed something happening in the white space of those pages. There were many many sparkles that I could see on them. They were moving back and forth and all around.

I recognized them as looking much like the orgone I see in the sky on clear blue days. (I just looked that word up but could not find a proper link although I did learn that's what it was called some time ago.) I don't know how else to describe it but its like seeing the energy of the air.

So I was seeing this in this book. I could almost see the sparkles forming something more substantial but not quite. They were the brightest white light and etheric and moving rapidly. To me this tells me your book is "alive" and has a very high vibration. Which of course I knew but it was so cool to see it.

I've never seen this on an inanimate object before! I have seen webs of light which may have been what this was forming although I couldn't see it.

After this experience I am certain Sara's teachings will come through this book in a most Magical and Divine way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For understanding further what the book is really about, beyond the title, I recommend reading the Table of Contents. You can see the scope of the subject that is covered and that it is done a little differently than other books on similar subjects.

Transition to the Golden Age in 2032: Worldwide Forecasts for the Economy, Climate, Politics, and Spirituality
by Diana Cooper
20 used & new from $2.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring forecast for the next two decades: 2012-2032, February 18, 2012
I adore Diana Cooper and her books are all informative and uplifting. This does not disappoint. She writes at least one paragraph on each major country in the world which includes a short forecast. She describes the current energy of each place, what is needed to heal that area (if anything), and then how that area will transition into the coming "Golden Age" of 2032. In addition, for the United States she writes a chapter on the country as a whole including the status of its leadership and then at least a paragraph for each state.

Cooper indicates that the areas on the Earth that have snow covered mountains or have been surrounded by pure water, have had some cleansing occur already. Other areas where the land has accrued much karma through war, or the poor treatment of the land, people or animals, those areas will need to be cleansed- likely through natural disasters or flooding. Some of what she has forecasted has already come to pass- like the flooding in Australia.

When writing what will likely happen, sometimes she is very specific, sometimes general. She indicates what each place will be like after the fact. In the end, we are looking at a very different Earth- one that will be thriving instead of surviving.

Some examples of what is to come: For Scandinavia- most countries here have already been cleansed and healed and it will transition relatively easily; and in 20 years, New York City as we know it will no longer exist.

She also writes about the locations and openings of 33 cosmic portals which will act as catalysts for the Earth to transition into the Golden Age.

Forecasts like these are based on the current status quo and of course can be altered. This is all in all a great resource for the upcoming changes!

Stories I Only Tell My Friends: An Autobiography
Stories I Only Tell My Friends: An Autobiography
by Rob Lowe
281 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast Read, Fun Ride, June 13, 2011
Like many teen girls in the '80s, I too, had an enormous crush on Rob Lowe. Reading his book was a blast! He tells his tale of getting bit by the acting bug and earnestly following the breadcrumbs that led him to Hollywood. Underneath it all is a wounded childhood that laid the tracks for addiction issues. His fresh writing style makes it a fast-paced and engaging read.

With the memory of an elephant, Lowe regales us with some truly great "Stories." His life is peppered with supremely cool star encounters that us little people could only dream of (Sting & Star Wars being my favorites).

What was most surprising and inspiring is the personal growth that was the outcome of tackling his personal demons. Ultimately he has managed to do what so many in Hollywood, or otherwise, have difficulty with-- create a work/life balance. It is clear where his values lie and apparent that by making heart-centered choices, his life became more fulfilling.

That he is healthy, still has a successful career, relationship and family is a tribute to how smart he is. And that he actually gets "it" and got wise before it was too late.

Winter Garden
Winter Garden
by Kristin Hannah
317 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Story if you keep reading. . ., March 1, 2010
This review is from: Winter Garden (Hardcover)
I watched the Amazon video above featuring author Kristin Hannah discussing this book and since she said it is her favorite I really wanted to read it, having recently read "Firefly Lane."

I agree with some of the other reviews here. Once we learn the characters and the stage is set, the early part of the book (about the first 100 pages) is difficult to get through. The characters are all dealing with so much avoidance and grief its painful to keep reading and you are just dying for the book to take a turn. I'm sure this is a very real portrayal but its tough! For this I would give it not quite 4 stars.

Well, if you can stick it out, the book eventually does shift and the story within a story that unfolds is incredibly captivating. Once you are in, you're in, and you will not be able to put the book down. The story is very wonderful at the same time sad but so romantic, magical and creative and I found myself thinking about it for days after. In the end it is a wonderful tale of the human spirit and family healing on many levels. I also appreciated Hannah's description of both current and historical places and times, especially Russia, which really take you there and are always educational. Thats one of the best things she does with her writing.

Altec Lansing inMotion iM600 Firewire-Charging Portable Audio System for iPod (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound quality and great price!, January 29, 2008
If you're looking for a basic ipod dock system and don't want to spend the money for something like a BOSE, this is the best option. Its very portable and has great sound quality, in addition to the added bonus of FM Stereo. I absolutely love it and would consider buying a second one.

Floor Sample
Floor Sample
by Julia Cameron
95 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A courageous and fascinating life of dedication to the "Artist's Way", October 28, 2006
This review is from: Floor Sample (Hardcover)
I know Julia Cameron as so many of us do, by way of "The Artist's Way" and I was anxious to read about HER.

From the first page I was captivated by a seasoned story teller with a heck of story to tell: her own. Reading this book is like meeting up with an old friend for dinner that you haven't seen in ages and letting the world pass you by as you are drawn into her world and all that has taken place. Pretty soon you realize the restaurant is closing and you've forgotten where you are.

Cameron writes very well and is painfully honest and objective about herself and her struggles with addiction -to alcohol first, and then other abstract things including the high she gets from not eating. She chronicles her two marriages to Martin Scorsese and then to her work partner Mark Bryan. Her lifestyle includes leapfrogging across the U.S. with her daughter in tow, making her home wherever life takes her. Throughout it all she remains committed to her writing, and spiritual guidance.

Hers is an adventurous and difficult life to say the least. But clearly her strong network of support has helped her thrive and continue to bring her wonderful creations to the world, and teach the rest of us in the process. I actually got even more understanding out of reading about how she uses morning pages, and her other "Artist's Way" tools, than I had in reading "The Artist's Way."

Page: 1 | 2 | 3