Profile for SMG > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

SMG RSS Feed (New Jersey)

Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro Digital Lens Hood (Flower Design) (62mm) + Nw Direct Microfiber Cleaning Cloth.
Offered by New West Direct
Price: $27.00

2.0 out of 5 stars This is a flawed product, May 7, 2015
This hood fits the threads of the Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 Pro lens, but I don't think it was made specifically for the Olympus. It was more than likely made for a different lens but just happens to fit the Olympus. Fine. But the petals are not the right size, length or width. They're too big. Therefore, using this hood creates noticeable vignetting at 12-14mm, especially if it's fitted to a filter. Yes, it can be used with a filter attached to the camera, but you cannot attach a filter (or lens cap) directly to this hood. The hood also comes with an adjustment ring that, at first, didn't seem to work properly. But I soon figured it out. In any event, I'm going to keep this hood as a spare "just in case." I think there are better options out there, though.

Fotga PRO Quick Release Vertical L Plate Bracket Hand Grip for Olympus PEN Ep5 Tripod
Offered by FOTGA
Price: $33.49
2 used & new from $33.49

4.0 out of 5 stars A good concept, but not properly executed., January 27, 2015
The fit and finish are good, but the grip area itself is way too smooth. It could easily fall out of your hand, especially when warm weather creates a little perspiration. I ended up form-cutting and bonding a piece of leather to the grip area. It feels much more secure now. Otherwise, this product serves the purpose and does it with quality construction and materials. They just need to either add textured material to the grip ... as I did ... or texture the metal itself.

Olympus E-5 12.3MP Digital SLR with 3-inch LCD [Body Only] (Black)
Olympus E-5 12.3MP Digital SLR with 3-inch LCD [Body Only] (Black)
2 used & new from $1,049.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This camera will never be "old", September 13, 2013
Though Olympus has moved firmly into Micro Four Thirds territory ... particularly with their latest release, the EM-1 ... Olympus' flagship DSLR, the E-5, remains an extraordinary tool for the vast majority of photography needs.

12MP is more than enough for 99% of image-making. But the E-5's 12MP are more like 16MP when it comes to the actual resolution potential of this camera. If paired with Olympus' best lenses, the outcome is all that one could hope for in a DSLR.

This is a rugged, feature-packed camera that's dedicated to providing still images of the highest quality ... with realism, detail, brilliant color and almost jaw-dropping clarity. The construction is 2nd to none; fully weather protected and rock solid. The flip-out, rotatable rear LCD is very clear and sharp, allowing for accurate image review and effortless live-view shooting.

The one area where the E-5 might fall short of the competition is high ISO noise. This is not a high ISO camera when operated at high-rez raw, 12MP. ISO 1600 is perhaps the safe limit. But that shouldn't be too restricting if you use fast glass, i.e. f/2.8 and wider. I routinely shoot indoors with the Olympus 25mm f/2.8 at ISO 400 and get clean, excellent results. If you're a high-ISO-at-full-rez chaser, this is not the camera for you. Keep in mind, though, that even some of the very best medium format digital cameras/backs only go as high as ISO 400! A workaround for high-ISO noise is to shoot at medium-size or small JPEGs (7MP and 5MP). So long as you aren't printing big ... or if you intend to post your images only on the web ... the noise is a non-issue when shooting this way. You can shoot at ISO 3200 without hesitation. The great thing is, the JPEG output from this camera ... and all of the Olympus DSLRs ... is excellent if not the best there is. I usually shoot both JPEG and RAW so that I can opt for the in-camera processing and save myself some work. I'd say that over 50% of my final shots are the in-camera processed JPEGs.

E-5s will probably go down in price during the first few months following the release of the EM-1. But my best guess is that the price of good, clean, used E-5s will climb and climb and climb as the years go by. Why? Because even now, they're scarce. Get 'em while you can ....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2013 2:59 PM PDT

Holmes HEPA Type Desktop Air Purifier, 3 Speeds plus Optional Ionizer, HAP242-NUC
Price: $31.21
64 used & new from $30.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little air cleaner ... but be warned!..., May 20, 2013
I've owned these small Holmes air cleaners for many years. They are very reliable, quiet and efficient. When my older Holmes' motor started to make noises and seemed to be on its last legs, I didn't hesitate to purchase a new one. The latest version is the best of them all. It uses a quality Hepa filter, is extremely quiet at its lowest setting, and it can be used horizontally or vertically. Plus you can't beat the price ... especially the Amazon price.

However ... and this is a BIG however ... DO NOT USE THE OZONE-PRODUCING ASPECT OF THIS MACHINE. It's turned on or off by a simple switch on the top. Well, JUST LEAVE IT OFF. DON'T BOTHER WITH IT FOR ONE SECOND. Why? Because the ozone is dangerous to your entire respiratory system, even at low levels. If you want to know more about the dangers of ALL ozone-producing air cleaners, just do a Google search of "Is the ozone from an air cleaner or air purifier harmful?" Then sit back and be shocked by what the EPA and other regulatory bodies have to say about it. Of course, you don't have to take any of it seriously if you don't want to. You can scoff, laugh it off ... whatever. But, I assure you, in time your lungs and nostrils and everything else that's part of your breathing system will go through a noticeable change for the worse and you may even suffer permanent damage.

So why is it still legal for these types of machines to be sold and marketed with so much hype? Beats me. What I can tell you for sure is that the claim that the ozone from this machine helps clean the air better than no ozone at all is absolutely bogus. The ozone does nothing to clean the particles. All it does is smell nice and, under the cloak of that pleasant smell, make your throat sore, your nose bleed, your lungs irritated and, if you have asthma, make the asthma even worse.

Other than that ... the Holmes is great. SO DON'T TURN ON THAT OZONE SWITCH, OK?
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2015 3:45 AM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product ..., July 24, 2012
This is an unusual but incredibly useful half-case for the Fuji X10 that actually exceeded my expectations. I had expected something on the soft side, but in fact this bottom-covering protector is perfectly molded and cured to a hard, durable bottom cover for the X10 that really has no equal. The fit and finish are both superb. Most important, it does the job it's supposed to do, ie protect the bottom surface of the camera as well as, to a certain extent, the LCD. Remarkably, this snug-fitting, good-looking accessory gives you easy access to the battery & SD card. Nice! The grip portion gives the X10 a more substantial feel that the camera alone, and there's a robust, stainless screw for affixing the protector to the camera's tripod socket, keeping the protector in place no matter what. The company even provides a "good luck" penny for turning the screw! I can only hope that the company will be making similar protector products for my larger DSLRs like my 5D, 40D and t3i. I wouldn't hesitate one minute to purchase them if they were available.

Bluecell Light Brown leather classic DC digital camera protection case/bag/cover for Fujifilm X10 EXR CMOS with f2.0-f2.8 4x Optical Zoom Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect fit ..., July 24, 2012
This case not only matches the camera's shape and size but also the X10's overall "character." The X10 is a throwback to small film cameras of several decades ago, and so is the case. I feel like I'm carrying around my old Canon rangefinder (among other vintage gear I've owned). The quality of the case ... the leather, the finish, the stitching and the interior lining ... appear to be first-rate. Time will tell if the case has been put together with enough strength at the seams to withstand several years of use. I hope so, because I intend to keep my Fuji X10 for a long, long time! At the current pricing, I can't really consider the case a "bargain," but it's certainly a good value.

My Imaginary Friend Was Too Cool to Hang Out with Me
My Imaginary Friend Was Too Cool to Hang Out with Me
by Charles Freericks
10 used & new from $61.00

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most satisfying books I've read in a long time ..., May 2, 2012
Let me put this as clearly and as simply as I can: this is one great book. It's one of those rare collections that captures both sides of the comedy/drama mask at the same time, and it does so masterfully. I simultaneously smiled and ached throughout. This superbly written account of growing up as a bright but awkward kid in Northern New Jersey is a quick and easy read that belies its true depth and meaning. The aches, pains and humor of it all sneak up on you little by little, until you reach a point where you realize you could very well be reading about yourself and your own off-the-beaten-path family life! These are real-life stories that do, indeed, ring true thanks to Mr. Freerick's writing style and obvious mastery of his craft. Every word, every phrase, every sentence and every paragraph counts for something. The pages seem to turn by themselves. This book is a perfect example of how powerful simple (but precise) writing can sometimes be.

The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers
The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers
by Martin Evening
132 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful but ....., February 10, 2011
Since so many others have gone into great detail about this LR 3 reference book, I'll make this short:

The book can often be, and is, somewhat confusing; and I say this as a photographer who's been working with Photoshop since Version 1.0 (1990) and has been working with digital cameras since the days of the Kodak DCS 520 ... a 2MP behemoth that cost $25,000 when it was first released. So I'm not a novice when it comes to working with things digital. But this book has made me feel like I am. Why? I think the main culprit is that a few important things are left out and a lot of things are out of sequence. Setting up your computer for handling LR 3 is at the end of the book! Does that make sense? The section on Auto Import doesn't mention that you have to set up Auto Import before you actually import the images from that particular folder or source. If you try to set up Auto Import after importing, no go. Doesn't work that way. I found this out upon loading over 100,000 images! I had to start all over again because Auto Import is important to me.

So it's things like that that prompt me to give it 4 stars instead of 5. Plus, reading this book makes me feel like I've gone back to college; like I'm studying for an exam the next day. It's very intense and requires reading the same text over and over before you can commit a how-to section to memory. It presents a steep learning curve ... and perhaps it should. LR 3 is a big, bold, complicated and immensely useful program, probably the best of its kind, which is why I use it. I bought Mr. Evening's book because I wanted to absolutely make the most of this application. I wanted to reduce my browsing, search and processing time to a minimum, and this book has certainly helped me do that. But it does take me through some unnecessary (in my opinion) twists, turns and dead ends.

Still in all, it's worth buying and having and I've learned a lot.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 12.1MP Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with Lumix G Vario 14-45 mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Lens (Black)
Offered by DBROTH
4 used & new from $272.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally ... a small camera that acts like a big camera, April 7, 2010
I will keep this short: I'm a professional photographer who routinely shoots with a Canon 5D II, Canon 1Ds II and a Nikon D2x. These are large, heavy cameras made even heavier with their associated lenses. So they're not really suitable for taking along on trips and vacations unless the purpose of the trip is photography.

I've owned many small point & shoot type cameras, including Canon's G7 and G9, the Olympus C-5060 (great camera) and several others. They're ok in good light and good for small, snapshot prints. But they're no match for the kinds of images I routinely get with my pro cameras.

The Panasonic G1 is the first small sensor camera I've owned that comes very, very close to my bigger cameras in terms of IQ, noise levels (ISO 100-800), color fidelity, tonality and overall photographic integrity. I could cite the limitations of the camera or areas where its design could be improved, but I won't. It's not important. What's important is that the Panasonic G1 and its kit lens are both top-quality products capable of producing images I'm proud to call my own. For the first time since migrating to digital, I can say without hesitation that I'm totally confident I can take this camera along on a trip and that I'll come back with high-IQ images printable to very large sizes.

I've not used Olympus' versions of Micro Four Thirds nor have I held or tried Panasonic's other MFT cameras, but I think it's safe to assume that their IQ is similar. The major difference with the G1 (and Panasonic's GH1) is the DSLR-like handling, built-in viewfinder, articulating LCD screen (an important consideration for me) and image stabilization built into the lenses.

Great cam. A very, very satisfying purchase.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2010 1:02 PM PDT