Profile for C. Johnson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C. Johnson "Flying monkey buzzards are behind you!" RSS Feed

PS3 320GB Uncharted 3 Bundle
PS3 320GB Uncharted 3 Bundle
Offered by dudefromhawaii
Price: $401.95
17 used & new from $160.95

3.0 out of 5 stars I might want my bulky 80Gig back, January 4, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Firstly note that I understood that neither of my PS3s were PS2 backwards compatable. I accepted that from the get go and enjoyed my old PlayStation 3 80GB System for close to 3 years. A few weeks ago I noticed amazon was offering me up to $173 for a trade in so I traded up/purchased this new 320GB slim. Here is what I noticed:

Good:
1-Netflix and Hulu run a lot smoother (I can browse without constant loading and PS3 resets)
2-Uncharted 3 was entertaining
3-320G is a lot of space
4-The overall footprint of the system allows for easier integration into entertainment displays/stands
5-The overall decibel output of the cooling fans is less intrusive than the 80Gig

Bad:
1-The overall decibel output of the hard drive and disk drive is greater than the 80Gig (you dont need to look at the yellow light you will hear when it is reading and writing)
2-Some fast paced games now hang (For example moves executed in Ar tonelico Qoga or Trinity Universe show noticeable lag, but Batman Arkham City gameplay seems to be unaffected). I do not know if this is because the HD is of lower quality or what. Moreover, I'm about to play some New Vegas to see if this problem is not simply limited to NIS games that require massive calculations per second for damage. Regardless, if the old PS3 could pull it off, and the new one can't... That is a problem!
2a-I should note that I uninstalled and re-installed the games in question to rule out PS3 transfer artifacts.
3-Uncharted 3 was crazy short, but keep in mind the game is practically free in this bundle.
4-PS3 slim is not visually appetizing. It looks plain... really plain.

Overall:
Smoother Video services almost outweighs the seeming reduction in raw calculating power, and quiet fans are meaningless if the drives are loud. I plan to update this review at a later date.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2012 10:58 AM PDT