Profile for H. C. Hodges > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

H. C. Hodges RSS Feed (California, USA)

Tiffen 77mm UV Protection Filter
Tiffen 77mm UV Protection Filter
Price: Click here to see our price
29 used & new from $1.40

1.0 out of 5 stars Two little ghosts for every light source, January 7, 2008
Any photographer who has the money to purchase a lens with a professional 77mm filter size can afford better than this uncoated Tiffen filter. I'm skeptical by nature, so I wanted to see for myself whether coated glass was really necessary. I purchased this Tiffen filter and used it on two different lenses and found that in almost every single photograph in which there was a light source, I found two smaller ghost images of the light source elsewhere in the photo. This uncoated glass really knows how to make lens flare POP (even if it's not the lens that's flaring...)! I sent mine back, with the biggest loss being my time and Christmas photographs of family that would have otherwise been very nice.

What made the two little ghosts appear on the Tiffen? Light as faint as Christmas tree lights, table lamps, incandescent overhead bulbs, etc. You name it, basically.

How do I know this was due to the UV filter and not my lenses? When I saw some pretty nasty flare, I just unscrewed the Tiffen filter and voila, my flare disappeared.

Le flare est morte. Vive le flare!

Seriously, spend just a bit more and get a good, coated (on both sides) filter; picky people like myself will gladly spend a little more and get a coated filter by Hoya or B+W, among others. The Tiffen is fine if you only shoot in the shade without any relatively bright lights; otherwise, my advice is to look elsewhere.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 5, 2014 5:00 AM PDT

Lowepro Topload Zoom Mini Camera Bag (Black)
Lowepro Topload Zoom Mini Camera Bag (Black)
Offered by SANWA JP
2 used & new from $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but quite small, December 10, 2007
Got this product for half price as part of a deal with a Canon Digital Rebel XTi. The camera itself is one of the smallest SLRs out there, and it fits in the bag fine. However, if paired with even a slightly above-average sized lens (e.g. the EF-S Canon 10-22mm), the system doesn't fit into the bag.

This bag is truly for small cameras with small lenses. If you're not sure, I suggest looking elsewhere. It's an okay bag for the price, but I don't think it's worth the hassle of returning it!

If you're looking for a small bag that can handle more than this, I recommend the M-Rock Glacier or any one of the other Lowepro bags.

Bionaire BDQ24-UC 20-Pint Dehumidifier, White
Bionaire BDQ24-UC 20-Pint Dehumidifier, White

4.0 out of 5 stars No problems here!, January 22, 2006
I live in an old house outside San Francisco where there is no central air or heating. During the summer, we leave the windows open because the weather is perfect, but in the winter and fall, we close up -- unfortunately, this means having a damp house because the bathroom and kitchen never dry up. Humidity was a new problem for me and I had never purchased a dehumidifer before, so I crossed my fingers and bought the Bionaire BDQ24-UC.

My first impression was "wow, it's bigger than I thought" (of course, this was my fault for not reading the dimensions on Amazon before ordering). However, it really isn't all that imposing. It fits neatly into our tiny bathroom, and doesn't stick out at all.

Secondly, the thing works like a champ. The economy mode is great for us, because we'd like to keep utilities low AND let our towels dry at night. The first night we had it on, it pulled out about 2-3 cups of water, and brought the relative humidity down to 50% from about 78%, on a night where it was about 50 °F. From my perspective, this was an overnight fix.

As far as the noise, I'm a very light sleeper; a drip from the bathroom faucet next to our bedroom will keep me up at night. The Bionaire is pretty quiet-- it's similar in volume to a window-unit air conditioner. So it doesn't keep me up at night, and I can watch movies in the next room without really noticing.

I gave it four out of five stars because the humidistat lags a bit (~20 min) when in economy mode -- while this really is not a big deal for me, I could imagine that a different design might work better for those who need an instant response. I can't attest to its long-term reliability because I only have the experience of a few weeks, but if you're concerned about that, then it does have a 2-year warranty. It ships with a receipt from Amazon, so be sure to hang on to that. Best of luck!

UPDATE (Jan. 2008): Two years later, it works great. A month ago, it seemed like it wasn't sensing the humidity so well. It turns out the air filter was clogged-- oops, I hadn't cleaned it since I bought it! I washed the filter in the sink and put it back on the machine still wet. Works like it did on day one. I recommend it very much still, and if I could give it 4.9 stars, I would.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2008 7:02 AM PDT